Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,842 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:33 AM

Youths Burnt Alive South Africa, Video Shows Vigilantism Not Xenophobia. - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Youths Burnt Alive South Africa, Video Shows Vigilantism Not Xenophobia. (2743 Views)

Thief With Juju Beaten To A Pulp In Onitsha And Burnt Alive (Graphic Pics) / Rapist “Baddo” Burnt Alive In Ikorodu (Graphic Photos) / Thief "Emma-B" Burnt Alive In Warri (Graphic Photos, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Youths Burnt Alive South Africa, Video Shows Vigilantism Not Xenophobia. by osystein(m): 12:59am On Apr 21, 2015
I've been seeing a very graphic video being posted here for several days now by many people, claiming to show foreign youths being set ablaze by a xenophobic mob. The video really shocked me.

The video though is misleading, it's not related to xenophobia, the youths are South Africans. the true story behind the video is that the youths were lynched and set ablaze after confessing to stoning a man to death, it was later picked up by someone and misreported as showing a xenophobic mob burning immigrants. This doesn't in anyway justify the brutality and primitiveness of the event, but it puts the incident in context.

Here's the original YouTube footage of the incident reported by news back in march.
how a horrific case of mob justice played out in Rustenburg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn5-DB1X72Q&app=desktop&persist_app=1&client=mv-google&gl=KE&hl=en-GB

Viral video shows vigilantism, not xenophobia

Johannesburg - North West police said on Saturday ahorrific video that has gone viralof a group of young men being necklaced and burnt alive in South Africa was in no way linked to xenophobic attacks and was not an attack on Zimbabweans as suggested on social media.

It was however, vigilantism in retaliation for a bar fight death in Sondela informal settlement in Rustenburg on 7 March.

"It has nothing to do with Durban and nothing to do with xenophobia," said Colonel Sabatha Mokgwabone, spokesperson for North West police.

"There is no way we can say the two are linked," he said, referring to attacks on foreign nationals in Durban this past week, the most recent being the petrol bombing of two Ethiopians in the container they used as a shop and sleeping quarters in Umlazi.

The shocking video was seized upon on social media on Saturday morning as evidence of the violence against foreign nationals this week as xenophobic tension in South Africa rises.

But the truth behind the footage is quite different. The video records an incident in Rustenburg in March and neither the victims, nor the alleged perpetrators are foreigners. l Sabatha said nobody seemed to pay much attention to police reports of the 7 March attack on the five youths in Sondela until public broadcaster SABC was given footage, and it went viral.

According to Mokgwabone, this is what is known by police of the events leading up to the attack on the five men, and what happened afterwards:

- On 7 March five youths were in a tavern in Sondela in Rustenburg and an argument started between them and a 30-year-old man.

- The fight was broken up and they were separated, but later, the five came across the 30-year-old man in the streets and started throwing stones at him and assaulting him with other "'instruments''.

- The 30-year-old man was taken to Tlhabane Clinic, but he was certified dead on arrival. Durban police spokesperson Major Thulani Zwane said on Saturday that while the video had not been brought to his attention, police monitoring the tense situation south of Durban had received no such report of a similar incident in the past week, debunking the belief that it was related to xenophobic violence in Durban. "We need to be careful about these things because videos like these can cause a panic. As of now we have no knowledge of this incident."

- Some people in the area heard about the attack on the 30-year-old and "took the law into their own hands" according to Mokgwabone.

- They were surrounded, assaulted and set alight.

-The police were called eventually and all five were taken to hospital.

- Four had severe burn wounds. The fifth was not seriously physically injured.

- Police did not charge them all at the time because they were were so severely injured.

- On 9 March, one of the five, a minor, died as a result of his injuries.

- On 10 March, another one of the five died.

- Two were still in hospital, to Mokgwapone's knowledge.

- The fifth person has been arrested and charged with the murder of the 30-year-old man they allegedly had the bar fight with. He has appeared in the Rustenburg Magistrate's Court between three to four times and will return to court on April 28.

- Police also arrested one person in connection with assaulting and setting the men alight. He has made several appearances in the Rustenburg Magistrate's Court to apply for bail and will return to court on May 5. His charges are attempted murder and murder.

- The five men who were assaulted and set alight are South African. To Mokgwabone's knowledge, one of the men was buried in the Eastern Cape.

- The 30-year-old who was assaulted and stoned to death was South African. Brigadier Thulani Ngubane, also a North West police spokesperson, said he had already clarified this before. Delinking the crime from xenophobia made it not better though, he said. People had to stop resorting to "mob justice" and "kangaroo courts" and let the police handle any crimes or suspicion of a crime.

The police's investigation may make different conclusions to those reached by the crowd who attacked the youths, he said. "There are mothers and fathers who really should have taken a step up and stopped it,"said Ngubane. In the video one woman appears to be trying to intervene, but she steps back into the crowd.
News24

http://news24.com/news24/SouthAfrica/News/Viral-video-shows-vigilantism-not-xenophobia-police-20150411
Re: Youths Burnt Alive South Africa, Video Shows Vigilantism Not Xenophobia. by babanibabatoyin(m): 2:29am On Apr 21, 2015
Sometime it gud but I shouldn't all matter into ourhands
Re: Youths Burnt Alive South Africa, Video Shows Vigilantism Not Xenophobia. by clemz88(m): 7:50am On Apr 21, 2015
Not for sale
Re: Youths Burnt Alive South Africa, Video Shows Vigilantism Not Xenophobia. by osystein(m): 4:22pm On Apr 21, 2015
babanibabatoyin:
Sometime it gud but I shouldn't all matter into ourhands

??
Re: Youths Burnt Alive South Africa, Video Shows Vigilantism Not Xenophobia. by osystein(m): 9:16pm On Apr 21, 2015
clemz88:
Not for sale

FP
Re: Youths Burnt Alive South Africa, Video Shows Vigilantism Not Xenophobia. by osystein(m): 6:27am On Apr 22, 2015
clemz88:
Not for sale
were you the other poster?
Re: Youths Burnt Alive South Africa, Video Shows Vigilantism Not Xenophobia. by osystein(m): 3:22pm On Apr 23, 2015
still seeing this so called xeno[phobic video posted here.
Re: Youths Burnt Alive South Africa, Video Shows Vigilantism Not Xenophobia. by kandiikane(m): 5:23am On Apr 24, 2015
I saw the video today and it was absolutely horrifying especially when the younger of the bunch was set ablaze, brought tears to my eyes. I had a feeling it was not part of the xenophobia attacks but still horrible thing to do even if they killed someone. The laws should be followed so the right people can enforce it accordingly.
Re: Youths Burnt Alive South Africa, Video Shows Vigilantism Not Xenophobia. by Charleschidera(m): 5:37am On Apr 24, 2015
Soo bad...........

Op, alert me when you make FP
Re: Youths Burnt Alive South Africa, Video Shows Vigilantism Not Xenophobia. by Nobody: 7:40am On Apr 24, 2015
Jungle justice still.

Welcome to boring Africa.
Re: Youths Burnt Alive South Africa, Video Shows Vigilantism Not Xenophobia. by osystein(m): 12:12pm On Apr 24, 2015
kandiikane:
I saw the video today and it was absolutely horrifying especially when the younger of the bunch was set ablaze, brought tears to my eyes. I had a feeling it was not part of the xenophobia attacks but still horrible thing to do even if they killed someone. The laws should be followed so the right people can enforce it accordingly.

absolutely, primitive people all over.
there's the story about a foreign child attacked by xenophobes, also fake.
here's where the image was sourced http://www.politicsweb.co.za/iservice/rubber-bullet-did-this--daily-sun . child is south african who was hit by a stray rubber bullet during service delivery protest.

infact most of the images arent related to current xenophobia or south africa.

Fake photos misrepresent xenophobic violence
http://ewn.co.za/2015/04/17/Fake-photos-misrepresenting-xenophobic-violence

Internet boasts false images of xenophobic violence in South Africa
http://observers.france24.com/content/20150417-south-africa-durban-immigrant-xenophobic-false-photos
Re: Youths Burnt Alive South Africa, Video Shows Vigilantism Not Xenophobia. by kandiikane(m): 1:25pm On Apr 24, 2015
osystein:

absolutely, primitive people all over.
there's the story about a foreign child attacked by xenophobes, also fake.
here's where the image was sourced http://www.politicsweb.co.za/iservice/rubber-bullet-did-this--daily-sun . child is south african who was hit by a stray rubber bullet during service delivery protest.

infact most of the images arent related to current xenophobia or south africa.

Fake photos misrepresent xenophobic violence
http://ewn.co.za/2015/04/17/Fake-photos-misrepresenting-xenophobic-violence

Internet boasts false images of xenophobic violence in South Africa
http://observers.france24.com/content/20150417-south-africa-durban-immigrant-xenophobic-false-photos

I guess we have to do more research when we see videos like these.
Re: Youths Burnt Alive South Africa, Video Shows Vigilantism Not Xenophobia. by osystein(m): 8:54pm On Apr 24, 2015
kandiikane:

I guess we have to do more research when we see videos like these.

the good thing is that the horrific pictures and videos however fake will cause a big backlash against the violence.
Re: Youths Burnt Alive South Africa, Video Shows Vigilantism Not Xenophobia. by osystein(m): 2:08pm On Apr 25, 2015
Daily mail only now reporting on the event.

'Murderers' rounded up and burned alive by vigilante mob in South Africa after they had 'beaten a man to death in the streets'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3054070/Murderers-rounded-burned-alive-vigilante-mob-South-Africa-beaten-man-death-streets.html
Re: Youths Burnt Alive South Africa, Video Shows Vigilantism Not Xenophobia. by osystein(m): 9:10pm On Apr 26, 2015
See my thread about the other misleading images about the xenophobic violence
Re: Youths Burnt Alive South Africa, Video Shows Vigilantism Not Xenophobia. by osystein(m): 9:11pm On Apr 26, 2015
See my thread about the other misleading images about the xenophobic violence

https://www.nairaland.com/2277997/xenophobia-gruesome-graphic-images-misrepresent#33138290

(1) (Reply)

Anambra Woman Killed Her Husband Because Of His Range Rover / Hijab And Rape: Muslim Sisters Share Their Experiences / NURTW Fights Results In A Popular Island Man's Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.