Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,144 members, 7,815,011 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:40 AM

Igbo Can You Speak Pure Igbo Without Mixing English Words? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Can You Speak Pure Igbo Without Mixing English Words? (1402 Views)

The Caribbean Islands Where Indigenes Speak Igbo And Yoruba / 25 English Words Borrowed From Igbo Language / Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo Can You Speak Pure Igbo Without Mixing English Words? by TheBlue5: 2:10am On Apr 21, 2015
grin
Re: Igbo Can You Speak Pure Igbo Without Mixing English Words? by ChinenyeN(m): 2:21am On Apr 21, 2015
I don't believe there exists any modernized culture in the world that can carry on a fully modernized conversation without some aspect of English.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Can You Speak Pure Igbo Without Mixing English Words? by bigfrancis21: 2:50am On Apr 21, 2015
Even spanish speakers here in US heavily add English words to their daily spanish, especially the second-generation Spanish speakers who were born in US here. They speak what is called spanglish, and studies show that only about 40% of american-born hispanics speak spanish fluently, a number which is estimated to reduce to 17% by the third generation.

I have some american-born spanish friends and colleagues at work and most can barely speak spanish, being only able to construct sentences here and there in the language. Even as an outsider that I am, I can easily tell their americanized accent of speaking the language, compared to first-generation immigrant spanish speakers. They struggle to communicate with first-generation hispanics in spanish, and most times reply in English of Spanglish. These american-born spanish ones speak fluent english, and being barely fluent in the Spanish language, they are most likely to raise their children in English and very little spanish.

The sustenance of spanish in the US comes from the massive influx of spanish-speaking immigrants from their countries who barely speak english. These are the ones that keep the language alive in the US.

African languages are not left out. In fact when I see the continued downward trend of even mightier spanish language in the US, then African languages here are not faring so badly after all. grin

1 Like

Re: Igbo Can You Speak Pure Igbo Without Mixing English Words? by bigfrancis21: 2:50am On Apr 21, 2015
I can speak Igbo without adding English words.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Can You Speak Pure Igbo Without Mixing English Words? by Nobody: 2:59am On Apr 21, 2015
I don't think that possible. Even my Grandmother uses English with Igbo
Re: Igbo Can You Speak Pure Igbo Without Mixing English Words? by Fulaman198(m): 7:09am On Apr 21, 2015
ChinenyeN:
I don't believe there exists any modernized culture in the world that can carry on a fully modernized conversation without some aspect of English.

Not true at all
Re: Igbo Can You Speak Pure Igbo Without Mixing English Words? by Nobody: 8:03am On Apr 21, 2015
Except terms like 'hydrogen' 'nitrogen' and its likes are involved, the language can be spoken english free. Though there's this 'me' and 'like' factor that's trending, something like:
"me o like yee"
Its prevalent among both yoruba and igbo speakers.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Can You Speak Pure Igbo Without Mixing English Words? by Fulaman198(m): 8:17am On Apr 21, 2015
Danrizzle:
Except terms like 'hydrogen' 'nitrogen' and its likes are involved, the language can be spoken english free. Though there's this 'me' and 'like' factor that's trending, something like:
"me o like yee"
Its prevalent among both yoruba and igbo speakers.

The thing is hydrogen and nitrogen are not English words, most of these words are derived from the Latin language
Re: Igbo Can You Speak Pure Igbo Without Mixing English Words? by Ihuomadinihu: 9:02am On Apr 21, 2015
Yes,it's very possible. Globalization will however increase the tendency to codemix/code switch when you can't find words to describe what is not originally found in your language. E.g Sodium,Keyboard,Bulb etc.
The least you can do is to form a new word like Ugboelu for aeroplane,Ekwenti for GSM. Or you just incoporate the English word into your language. For example, hindi speakers in India say Ek minute in place of one minute,and it has been incoporated into their language.
Re: Igbo Can You Speak Pure Igbo Without Mixing English Words? by khalleb(m): 11:28am On Apr 21, 2015
Am a yourba same goes to us
Can we speak the Yoruba for 3mins without adding English to it?

1 Like

Re: Igbo Can You Speak Pure Igbo Without Mixing English Words? by Nobody: 3:31pm On Apr 21, 2015
Op, o dipendiri ihe onye ahu choro ikwu.

For me I try most time to speak raw Igbo without dilution but to be sincered it is difficult.

Bigfrancis21, heat ana - eme na America?

Lol

1 Like

Re: Igbo Can You Speak Pure Igbo Without Mixing English Words? by bigfrancis21: 4:16pm On Apr 21, 2015
adeitoro:

For me I try most time to speak raw Igbo without dilution but to be sincered it is difficult.

Lol

Nna, ekpomoku e bidogokwa ebe anunwa. Nyaafu ka o jusili m n'aru, m na-eti so mkpu, di ayi.

A maro m ife m ga-eme ma m nata naija. grin

1 Like

Re: Igbo Can You Speak Pure Igbo Without Mixing English Words? by Nobody: 4:24pm On Apr 21, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Nna, ekpomoku e bidogokwa ebe anunwa. Nyaafu ka o jusili m n'aru, m na-eti so mkpu, di ayi.

A maro m ife m ga-eme ma m nata naija. grin

so heati astartigo ebe ahu?

Elee mgbe winta / wiukwu ga starti?
Re: Igbo Can You Speak Pure Igbo Without Mixing English Words? by ChinenyeN(m): 5:13pm On Apr 21, 2015
Fulaman198:
Not true at all

How so?

Believe me, I do realize that it is possible to carry on whole and long-lasting conversations in languages other than English. However, a fully modernized conversation involves extensive technical vocabulary.

Understand that when I say 'fully modernized', I mean any sort of modern concept there is to discuss under the sun. English has the clear advantage in this arena. So much so that it is unlikely one would find groups of non-English-speaking professionals carrying on specialized, technical discussions wholly in their native languages.

It's not to say that other languages can't also develop technical vocabularies, but for the time being, the pervasiveness of English (on a technical and non-technical level) makes it difficult to assert with absolute certainty that there exists languages that can fully and completely compete with it.

But, if I'm wrong, then I'm wrong I guess.
Re: Igbo Can You Speak Pure Igbo Without Mixing English Words? by ChinenyeN(m): 5:34pm On Apr 21, 2015
In the interest of full disclosure, I will say that I am conversant enough in my own lect to carry on regular day-to-day conversations in it, without the use of English.
Re: Igbo Can You Speak Pure Igbo Without Mixing English Words? by yhusiee(f): 9:24pm On Apr 23, 2015
adeitoro:

Lol
LOL
Re: Igbo Can You Speak Pure Igbo Without Mixing English Words? by Fulaman198(m): 12:24am On Apr 24, 2015
There are many groups in Nigeria that can speak their language without saying a single word of English. Now some scientific terms are actually Latin in origin and not English.
Re: Igbo Can You Speak Pure Igbo Without Mixing English Words? by ezeagu(m): 1:34am On Apr 24, 2015
It's possible.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Can You Speak Pure Igbo Without Mixing English Words? by OneNaira6: 1:46am On Apr 24, 2015
I can. I can't read or write in Igbo but speaking igbo w/o a link b of English is possible for me
Re: Igbo Can You Speak Pure Igbo Without Mixing English Words? by ezeagu(m): 2:06am On Apr 24, 2015
Danrizzle:
Except terms like 'hydrogen' 'nitrogen'

hydrogen: hydro (water) + genus (birth) = ohimiri.

nitrogen: nitro (from natron) + genus (birth) = ọfụakanwu.

grin

1 Like

Re: Igbo Can You Speak Pure Igbo Without Mixing English Words? by ChinenyeN(m): 2:18am On Apr 24, 2015
ezeagu:
grin

Lool I like the hydrogen one. It's a start.
Re: Igbo Can You Speak Pure Igbo Without Mixing English Words? by Fulaman198(m): 4:50pm On Apr 24, 2015
ezeagu:

grin

That's very neat

(1) (Reply)

Igbo Alphabet And Culture. / Oba Of Benin Invokes Charms Last Exposed To Sunlight 800 Years Ago / I Caught My Fiancee Cheating (screenshots)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.