Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,290 members, 7,815,500 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:30 PM

25 English Words Borrowed From Igbo Language - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 25 English Words Borrowed From Igbo Language (6657 Views)

25 English Words Borrowed From Igbo Language / Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched / Some English Words With Nigerian Origin! Unbelievable (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

25 English Words Borrowed From Igbo Language by NJPot(m): 12:09pm On Oct 06, 2015
[img]http://1.bp..com/-wxRinu360r0/VhOkl5auiBI/AAAAAAAACZQ/vNey0uyzRIY/s1600/JOGN-UGBE-PETE-EDOCHIE-ONYEKA-ONWENU-GENEVIEVE-NNAJI-WANGI-PATIENCE-OZOKWOR.jpg[/img]

Igbo kwenu! I always feel like crying whenever I see teachers or parents flog their children because they were speaking Igbo language. They want their children to speak English not knowing that the English they want their children to speak was borrowed from Igbo. Do you know that there are more than a thousand words in English, French, Latin, Hebrew and other languages that were borrowed from Igbo Language. Did I just hear you say ''na lie'' ? Ok. Because of space, let me only give you 25 English words stolen from Igbo language. If you need more, you can contact me.

1. Cherubim – Borrowed from Igbo phrase ''chere ubim’’ which means ''guard my home’’

2. Book – Borrowed from Igbo phrase ''bu uka’’ meaning ''carries the facts’’

3. Water – Stolen from Igbo word ''wuta’’ which means ''pour’’

4. Nurse – Coined from the phrase ‘’noro nso’’ meaning ‘’stay near’’

5. Animal – Coined from the Igbo phrase ''anu malu’’ which when translated means ‘’meat that knows’’ or ''flesh aware of life’’ or ‘’meat is conscious’’

Continue reading @ Source: http://chukonetng..ch/2015/10/25-english-words-borrowed-from-igbo.html

See also 8 Igbo Words Used In The Bible (No 8 will shock U)

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 25 English Words Borrowed From Igbo Language by HungerBAD: 12:09pm On Oct 06, 2015
I have to admit that you did a good job.

So the Easterners are Israelite? And Igbo was spoken before the English Language? we are gradually getting there.

So far, we have been able to establish we are from Israel. In a little while, we will also claim Jesus of Nazareth and the 12 Disciples are from the Eastern part of Nigeria.

The Queen of England looks like Orji Kalu, I am sure her ancestors are from the lost tribe of the Igbo.

6 Likes

Re: 25 English Words Borrowed From Igbo Language by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 12:18pm On Oct 06, 2015
grin

Is this a joke?
Re: 25 English Words Borrowed From Igbo Language by IamRespected: 12:19pm On Oct 06, 2015
grin Abi its igbo that borrowed those words

3 Likes

Re: 25 English Words Borrowed From Igbo Language by pinkiberry(m): 12:25pm On Oct 06, 2015
hahahahaha cheesy u wish
Re: 25 English Words Borrowed From Igbo Language by Nobody: 12:52pm On Oct 06, 2015
Oh, wrong thread.

Thought it was going to be about some words that crossed the Atlantic with the slaves - words like 'okra'. I'll quietly see myself out. Jisi' ike.

3 Likes

Re: 25 English Words Borrowed From Igbo Language by hajlat(m): 1:18pm On Oct 06, 2015
Continue to deceive yourself.
Re: 25 English Words Borrowed From Igbo Language by ezeagu(m): 2:30pm On Oct 06, 2015
Wow, people got time. Creative though.

2 Likes

Re: 25 English Words Borrowed From Igbo Language by Nobody: 2:31pm On Oct 06, 2015
Where did you get this from?
I will love further reading. I want a more reliable source and not just a blog.
Re: 25 English Words Borrowed From Igbo Language by makahlj2: 8:59am On Oct 07, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:
grin

Is this a joke?
Yes, obviously.
Re: 25 English Words Borrowed From Igbo Language by thiagoneves: 8:18am On Oct 08, 2015
They didn't only borrow it, they hired it as well. Confused flàtheaded fools from an erosion ravaged red soil region.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 25 English Words Borrowed From Igbo Language by NJPot(m): 10:00am On Oct 08, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:
grin

Is this a joke?

Not at all. Most of the words in English Language can be traced back to Igbo Language especially from ohafia in abia state. If you know Igbo Language very well, you can even understand Aramaic. Remember, Aramaic was the language Jesus spoke. The words Ethiopia, Jesus, Abram, Abraham, Israel, Jacob, ''talitecum'' etc are all Igbo words. E.g. In the Bible we were told that as soon as Jesus shouted ''talitecum'' to a dead person, the person would resurrect. Talitecum was coined from the Igbo phrase ''taa! lite kuo ume'' which means ''today rise up and breath'' or ''come on! rise up and breath''

1 Like

Re: 25 English Words Borrowed From Igbo Language by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 10:48am On Oct 08, 2015
NJPot:

Not at all. Most of the words in English Language can be traced back to Igbo Language especially from ohafia in abia state. If you know Igbo Language very well, you can even understand Aramaic. Remember, Aramaic was the language Jesus spoke. The words Ethiopia, Jesus, Abram, Abraham, Israel, Jacob, ''talitecum'' etc are all Igbo word's. E.g. In the Bible we were told that as soon as Jesus shouted ''talitecum'' to a dead person, the person would resurrect. Talitecum was coined from the Igbo phrase ''taa! lite kuo ume'' which means ''today rise up and breath'' or ''come on! rise up and breath''

I disagree. wink
Re: 25 English Words Borrowed From Igbo Language by ezeagu(m): 11:42am On Oct 08, 2015
Now the thread is weird.

2 Likes

Re: 25 English Words Borrowed From Igbo Language by Intrepid01(m): 4:06pm On Oct 08, 2015
Please watch out you will soon see another thread claiming JESUS was actually of Ibo decent.

The Ibos were actually the clan of Jesus that left Israel when JESUS was crucified.

Chaii..my Ibo brothers can lie for AFRICA..

I dey laff o
Re: 25 English Words Borrowed From Igbo Language by NJPot(m): 8:33pm On May 21, 2016
Thebachelor:
Where did you get this from?
I will love further reading. I want a more reliable source and not just a blog.

http://chukonetng..ch/
Re: 25 English Words Borrowed From Igbo Language by kingkoboko: 1:47pm On Aug 13, 2016
Wow! Very interestin & illuminatin!

Dis is believable 2me because if a child were 2look at d Egypt of 2day, d child would think dat it has always been an Arab nation. D child wont know dat Black Egypt was overrun by Arabs only hundreds of yrs ago.

Den, let's jst imagine d kind of changes dat has occurred in a thousand yrs.
Re: 25 English Words Borrowed From Igbo Language by Sinistami(m): 10:03pm On Jul 06, 2018
Oh, wrong thread.

Thought it was going to be about some words that crossed the Atlantic with the slaves - words like 'okra'. I'll quietly see myself out. Jisi' ike.

Abi o! sha the guy try sha but those word I think them borrow am from English not the other way around.
Re: 25 English Words Borrowed From Igbo Language by bluke(m): 5:30pm On Jul 07, 2018
HungerBAD:
I have to admit that you did a good job.

So the Easterners are Israelite? And Igbo was spoken before the English Language? we are gradually getting there.

So far, we have been able to establish we are from Israel. In a little while, we will also claim Jesus of Nazareth and the 12 Disciples are from the Eastern part of Nigeria.

The Queen of England looks like Orji Kalu, I am sure her ancestors are from the lost tribe of the Igbo.

its actually true the igbos predates adam and eve in the garden of eden.

ojukwu had the dna of king david

(1) (Reply)

Tribalism Is The Main Problem With Nigeria / Hausafulani The Most Beautiful People In Africa(photos) / My Fellow Hausafulanis On Nairaland,what You Have To Know About The Southners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.