Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,412 members, 7,822,913 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:23 PM

Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. (6932 Views)

2017 Budget: The Aso Rock Budget That Deserves Your Attention by Saatah Nubari / This Thread Is For All Concerned Rivers People, Please Come In And Save Rivers / Interim National Government: One Propaganda Too Many (barcanista) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by IbokUtoroh(m): 8:25am On Apr 21, 2015
Ngasky:

what a shame such illiterates analysis. You dont need more than 8 power plants of just 2.5 MWatts to achieve that. And 2.5 Mw plant is not even a major big power plant.
Infact with just 2 nuclear power plants 20Mw can be achieved. With $10 billion you can build an 8-12 Mw power plant. So with just $20 billion NNPC Unremitted funds power will be stable. Your only weapon which you are ignorant of is the timeframe of 4 years. I gave you that for free. Nuclear power plants takes an average of 5-7 years to complete but thanks to chinese and russians you can have accelarated construction.
Thank god Nigeria has the technology and are already enriching uranium since 2006 at the nuclear research institute and we have already built an reactor in 2006 under Prof Shamsuddeen. Even the IAEA were here when the reactor was lunched.
During OBJ's regime a contract has already been awarded but was cancelled by Yar'adua/Jonathan regime. All GMB have to do is pursue this.
It is only nuclear that can give such lump of MWat in one plant. All developed countries of the world use Nuclear plant for base load. Solar,wind can never give us the desired result.
Hydro have limitations currently the only major hydro power plant possible in the country Mambilla thats all and cannot give us desired result.
Gas plants we need atleast 8 plants and then we will face the problem of gas transportation due to pipeline vandalisation which is the major dilenma we are currently facing.
So Op which analysis gave you 30,000 power plants? Even USA with their population, land area, industries doesnt have 200 power plants all over the country.
All Nigeria needs is 4-5 Nuclear power plants to attain 50Mw status which is more than what we need. And we have the uranium here in Nigeria no need for importing the nuclear fuel.
The excess Mwatts can be a source of income by selling it to Niger republic, Ghana, Togo, and other west african states.
THIS IS FEASIBLE TECHNOLOGICAL AND ECONOMICALLY

n how will they manage the waste, RADIOACTIVE WASTES?
U think US will need another threat comng from a black nation?
n if we try to go against their directives cnsider nigeria a gonner!
Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by arewafederation: 8:25am On Apr 21, 2015
dearpreye:

You don't dampen people this way. If anyone makes wrong postulation about a field of study I'm well grounded, I'll politely draw their attention to that, and then also use that opportunity to enlighten others who may be harbouring similar sentiments/opinion.

Subtly abusing those who aren't considered smart in a particular area, not only shows we're immature; it also shows ourselves aren't grounded in the area concerned.

Well, one doesn't need to be too grounded in that particular area to show the op made a wrong analysis.

As much as I believe criticisms are healthy for our government, I feel it should only be done where appropriate.

Predicting the failure in the area where one isn't familiar with shows a greater attribute of immaturity.

All we want is for the government to deliver. If other countries less endowed with resources than Nigeria can achieve all these positive development that these pessimists on nairandland believe are impossible, why can't we?

These guys should be patient for the new government to take over before making all sort of ridiculous criticisms.

BTW: I didn't abuse anybody.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by Dannyset(m): 8:28am On Apr 21, 2015
arewafederation:

So 30,000 new power plants are required to achieve 20,000mw of electricity?

You guys ignorantly debunked the possibility of paying unemployed graduates which even Mr. Jona is about to sign into law, and now this?

PDP have seriously ruined your lives to the extent you now see a GOOD life as a mirage.

I really don't know how you pessimists will survive being in the opposition for 4 years.
Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by Nobody: 8:28am On Apr 21, 2015
Ngasky:

You dont need more than 8 power plants of just 2.5 MWatts to achieve that. And 2.5 Mw plant is not even a major big power plant.
Infact with just 2 nuclear power plants 20Mw can be achieved.
U just de hyperventilate de mix up figures up and down. So 8 power plants of 2.5MW gives u 20,000MW. Ok, continu! 2 nuclear plants to generate 20MW. undecided Dude, u either don't know what u are talking about or you were drunk when posting this trash.

2 Likes

Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by Nobody: 8:31am On Apr 21, 2015
abouzaid:
don't quote me rather quote the guy that advocated for nuclear power plants to be accelerated built by the Chinese and Russians in order to achieve an impossible election promise. even that won't even achieve the target.

Haha. I did you so because we share a safety concern. Period.
Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by abouzaid: 8:32am On Apr 21, 2015
arewafederation:

Well, one doesn't need to be too grounded in that particular area to show the op made a wrong analysis.

As much as I believe criticisms are healthy for our government, I feel it should only be done where appropriate.

Predicting the failure in the area where one isn't familiar with shows a greater attribute of immaturity.

All we want is for the government to deliver. If other countries less endowed with resources than Nigeria can achieve all these positive development that these pessimists on nairandland believe are impossible, why can't we?

These guys should be patient for the new government to take over before making all sort of ridiculous criticisms.

nobody is been pessimistic or critical but we are been factual in exposing lies. all your posts so far have been emotional rather than factual. pls take a position and defend ot with facts. thank you and remain blessed.
Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by Nobody: 8:34am On Apr 21, 2015
arewafederation:

You can't generate 20,000MW in 4 years sir. Not because it is not feasible technically, but it it will be economically irresponsible. It's just like u take a cloth to ur tailor to make a pair of trouser and you want to collect d finished work 1st thing d next day. Of course the tailor will double or even triple Wat would ve been the original cost of making ur trouser.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by Ngasky(m): 8:35am On Apr 21, 2015
abouzaid:
by your own analysis, you have accepted that such a feat is impossible in four years and that's all that matters. i don't want to waste energy on the plain stupidity of building two nuclear power plants in lagos by Russians or Chinese.
this shows your lack of knowledge in Engineering. If Nuclear plant is going to be cited in Nigeria Lagos will be the least probable site location for many reasons.
I can assure you the chinese or russians can finish the plant in less than 3 years. Why? Europeans when working tend to have lower working hours/day, weekend, breaks, resting periods, lower number of laborers while chinese mostly work in shifts (24 hrs/day), can forfeit weekends, holidays if they are really pressed and also take large number of laborers for the shifts and speed.
Save your breath about standards we have nuclear power plants built by both Chinese and western countries all over the world go and check statistics of Nuclear power plants mishaps and see who have lower mishaps chinese or europeans.
And before you jump at fukoshima, it is an american/japanese design and construction.
Engineering is not politics
Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by Nobody: 8:37am On Apr 21, 2015
faceURfront:

You can't generate 20,000MW in 4 years sir. Not because it is not feasible technically, but it it will be economically irresponsible. It's just like u take a cloth to ur tailor to make a pair of trouser and you want to collect d finished work 1st thing d next day. Of course the tailor will double or even triple Wat would ve been the original cost of making ur trouser.

It's obvious this power problem and it's solution aren't as easy as we may think. In the past, I had thought of creating a thread for this purpose.

Summary: we aren't getting out of it anytime soon.
Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by abouzaid: 8:39am On Apr 21, 2015
dearpreye:

Haha. I did you so because we share a safety concern. Period.
all the states of the south south and south east have enough gas deposits to produce all their energy needs from cheap and safe source. like i said earlier building a nuclear power plant in Lagos especially by the Russians and Chinese will be worse than chynobell.
Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by gonon: 8:42am On Apr 21, 2015
dearpreye:

It's obvious this power problem and it's solution aren't as easy as we may think. In the past, I had thought of creating a thread for this purpose.

Summary: we aren't getting out of it anytime soon.

Very true statement. We need at least 10 years with major drive and financial investment to achieve this feat. Also, the issue of tariffs is a discussion for another day.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by Nobody: 8:42am On Apr 21, 2015
abouzaid:
all the states of the south south and south east have enough gas deposits to produce all their energy needs from cheap and safe source. like i said earlier building a nuclear power plant in Lagos especially by the Russians and Chinese will be worse than chynobell.

That's disaster.
Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by aorta(m): 8:45am On Apr 21, 2015
temitemi1:
Please do, we need to have those promises in our files.
bunch of loser...,..u wont last long wit dis
Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by Ngasky(m): 8:46am On Apr 21, 2015
IbokUtoroh:

n how will they manage the waste, RADIOACTIVE WASTES?
U think US will need another threat comng from a black nation?
n if we try to go against their directives cnsider nigeria a gonner!
Waste you mean plutonium? Already we have it. It can be sold to nuclear armed state USA, briton,france, russia or chinese. Thats not a major concern there are ways of controlling such.
The nuclear reactor once started normally continues working it is not something you can just switched off at will. And our reactor was fired since 2006. Can you remember the visit of IAEA boss El-beradai during the end of OBJ's regime? The new reactor was working at that time thats the reason of his visit
Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by abouzaid: 8:46am On Apr 21, 2015
Ngasky:

this shows your lack of knowledge in Engineering. If Nuclear plant is going to be cited in Nigeria Lagos will be the least probable site location for many reasons.
I can assure you the chinese or russians can finish the plant in less than 3 years. Why? Europeans when working tend to have lower working hours/day, weekend, breaks, resting periods, lower number of laborers while chinese mostly work in shifts (24 hrs/day), can forfeit weekends, holidays if they are really pressed and also take large number of laborers for the shifts and speed.
Save your breath about standards we have nuclear power plants built by both Chinese and western countries all over the world go and check statistics of Nuclear power plants mishaps and see who have lower mishaps chinese or europeans.
And before you jump at fukoshima, it is an american/japanese design and construction.
Engineering is not politics
pls make your points without been offensive. your write up is full of talks but lack facts and context. I'm not the one that advocated a nuclear power plant for Lagos, i only laughed at the plain stupidity of the idea, second,nuclear power plants require a lot of water for cooling, i guess that makes borno state the perfect site for it. maybe buhari will cool it with the water he promised to channel to Nigeria from central Africa republic.
Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by Nobody: 8:47am On Apr 21, 2015
gonon:

Very true statement. We need at least 10 years with major drive and financial investment to achieve this feat. Also, the issue of tariffs is a discussion for another day.

Like seriously? How many of the people know this? 10 years? Our past leaders have indeed killed this nation.
Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by Nobody: 8:49am On Apr 21, 2015
abouzaid:
pls make your points without been offensive. your write up is full of talks but lack facts and context. I'm not the one that advocated a nuclear power plant for Lagos, i only laughed at the plain stupidity of the idea, second,nuclear power plants require a lot of water for cooling, i guess that makes borno state the perfect site for it. maybe buhari will cool it with the water he promised to channel to Nigeria from central Africa republic.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by Ngasky(m): 8:58am On Apr 21, 2015
abouzaid:
come to think of it your sarcasm is close to the truth the plant is not actually in Borno but thereabout.
Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by Firefire(m): 8:59am On Apr 21, 2015
barcanista:
I am compiling ALL his campaign promises in anticipation of his inauguration....

Part of the promises. grin

APC! APC!! APC!!!

We trust in your ability to perform wonders. Please don't attempt to fail.

1 Like

Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by abouzaid: 8:59am On Apr 21, 2015
gonon:

it's achievable in the south south and south east in four years using gas, coal and hydro by a nationalistic leader who can motivate the states and ordinary citizens to pay for some of the expenses through investment shares but buhari lacks the needed education and qualities needed to achieve that. remember the Lagos rail project he canceled. gej power plants currently under construction is a step in the right direction. it's unfortunate they will be coming into operation long after he has left power.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by legendsilver(m): 9:03am On Apr 21, 2015
MuguliciousMUGU:

for sure, he would regret his promises...
buhari will never regret them cus He will surely deliver. I hate seeing negative minded people praying for the downfall of a man God has solemnly blessed to rule a nation like Nigeria.
Barcanista, Temitemi1 and other doomsayers here, God will surely do to you what He did to all the doomsayers in the bible.
I just wonder how deluded you must have being since your clueless wasteful and highly corrupt Jonathan lost the election.
God bless My General
God bless Lagos state
God bless Edo state
God bless Nigeria
And finally
God bless the CHANGE He has bestow unto us Nigerians.
Shalom
Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by Ngasky(m): 9:06am On Apr 21, 2015
faceURfront:

U just de hyperventilate de mix up figures up and down. So 8 power plants of 2.5MW gives u 20,000MW. Ok, continu! 2 nuclear plants to generate 20MW. undecided Dude, u either don't know what u are talking about or you were drunk when posting this trash.
8 medium size power plants of 2500Mw you can have around 20000Mw considering those already online. Becouse power is not actually 1+1=2 due to losses and fluctuations
the 2 i am talking about is major nuclear plants of 1000Mw each.
A major gas or hydro plants have 5000Mw or thereabout but major nuclear plant can have 10000Mw or thereabout.
Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by legendsilver(m): 9:07am On Apr 21, 2015
Mod kindly close this trend. The folks here are purely doomsayers that should be charged for TREASON. Pissoff
Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by MuguliciousMUGU: 9:10am On Apr 21, 2015
legendsilver:
buhari will never regret them cus He will surely deliver. I hate seeing negative minded people praying for the downfall of a man God has solemnly blessed to rule a nation like Nigeria.
Barcanista, Temitemi1 and other doomsayers here, God will surely do to you what He did to all the doomsayers in the bible.
I just wonder how deluded you must have being since your clueless wasteful and highly corrupt Jonathan lost the election.
God bless My General
God bless Lagos state
God bless Edo state
God bless Nigeria
And finally
Shalom
guy, forget, if we don't criticise buhari now, he would not deliver his promises, when you people were insulting jonathan and mama peace you did not complain ooo,, so it is our turn now. #buharimustdeliver.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by temitemi1(m): 9:12am On Apr 21, 2015
Back to sender............>
legendsilver:
God bless My General
God bless Lagos state
God bless Edo state
God bless Nigeria
And finally
Shalom

1 Like

Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by abouzaid: 9:16am On Apr 21, 2015
Ngasky:

come to think of it your sarcasm is close to the truth the plant is not actually in Borno but thereabout.
a nuclear power plant anywhere in the north is a well planned disaster. but in Nigeria, every major work must be in the north cos they won the civil war.our current energy crisis is worsened by the location of hydroelectric projects in the north which leads to the poor supply during the long dry season there. the kaduna refinery is quoted in textbooks worldwide as an example of a plain stupid economic decision influenced solely by political consideration.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by gonon: 9:18am On Apr 21, 2015
abouzaid:
it's achievable in the south south and south east in four years using gas, coal and hydro by a nationalistic leader who can motivate the states and ordinary citizens to pay for some of the expenses through investment shares but buhari lacks the needed education and qualities needed to achieve that. remember the Lagos rail project he canceled. gej power plants currently under construction is a step in the right direction. it's unfortunate they will be coming into operation long after he has left power.

In the case of gas, under the NIPP project, the nearest power station to a major gas pipeline is 90km. That is why Prof. Nebo was shouting about vandalism, OBJ didn't plan the siting of power plants well. How can gas be in SS and you locate 3 power plants in the southwest and one in Kogi? Does that make sense? Do you know the km of pipelines that has to be laid including metering stations to reduce or sustain gas pressure to the gas turbines? Ordinary Geometric power plant in Aba has to lay 27km of pipeline alone. GEJ saw hell with the NIPP project, the guy saw that gov't couldn't sustain it hence he privatised the power sector.

For power generation through coal i know of one private company, Zuma Energy, that is currently working to achieve 1200MW. For hydro, lots of work regarding environmental, resettlement, logistics, finance and civil engineering most especially has to be done and this can take 4 - 5 years. Currently, am happy with the effort GEJ put in order to get Zungeru and Mambila of the ground but more needs to be done. Nuclear power plant is one of the most complicated plants because you major concern is safety, environmental and waste disposal.

That's why as an insider in the power sector, i laughed when Fashola said 8 months and GMB said 4 - 5 years. I don't like arguing with GMB fans because no matter how you want them to see things from your point of view they are not willing. Since GMB is a miracle worker, the part of the bible where God said "LET THERE BE LIGHT" is what am expecting from GMB and when he says this, wires and towers should appear and string themselves, gas/coal/hydro/nuclear/solar etc power plants with an ok tariff should also be in place. grin grin grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by arewafederation: 9:22am On Apr 21, 2015
faceURfront:

No sir, it is technically feasible and economically viable. Don't forget the APC promised 3000mw yearly.

Presently, the power stations in Nigeria have a capacity of 8000mw with some having provision for expansion. With proper maintenance, we can achieve up to 7,500mw in less than a year.
We also have the mambilla project with can generate 3000mw which I believe can be completed in two years along side other mini stations like the Kano and zamfara power station.

My friend, there are many ways we can have appreciable increase in power capacity even if not up to the proposed 20000mw, but I believe it is achievable.
Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by Ngasky(m): 9:35am On Apr 21, 2015
dearpreye:

Hahahahah. We are still struggling to effectively manage domestic wastes. A nation with such a sloppy record of safety shouldn't even delve into Nuclear Plant, let alone have them built by the Chinese and Russians.
Just keep those plants aware from the SS!
already atleast one reactor has been working atleast for the past 8 years. If you happen to travel for 1000km in Nigeria that means you probable pass by this reactor without your knowledge. I wont tell you the exact locations but there are two reactors currently in the country (I only physically confirmed one) and also there are atleast two research reactors that are working since late 1980's. So where you aware of the risks? NO.
Nuclear power plant is the safest of all conventional power plants worldwide less than 0.5% per plant per year of operation.
What many people dont know is that every year there is about a dozen of mishaps or accidents in conventional power plants while in the last 25 years we have only 2-3 nuclear accidents and couples of small mishaps worldwide.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by dustydee: 9:40am On Apr 21, 2015
abouzaid:
a nuclear power plant anywhere in the north is a well planned disaster. but in Nigeria, every major work must be in the north cos they won the civil war.our current energy crisis is worsened by the location of hydroelectric projects in the north which leads to the poor supply during the long dry season there. the kaduna refinery is quoted in textbooks worldwide as an example of a plain stupid economic decision influenced solely by political consideration.
If you knew anything about economics, you'd know that Kaduna Refinery was based on sound economics.
Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by abouzaid: 9:46am On Apr 21, 2015
dustydee:

If you knew anything about economics, you'd know that Kaduna Refinery was based on sound economics.
prove your position with facts
Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by abouzaid: 9:49am On Apr 21, 2015
arewafederation:

No sir, it is technically feasible and economically viable. Don't forget the APC promised 3000mw yearly.

Presently, the power stations in Nigeria have a capacity of 8000mw with some having provision for expansion. With proper maintenance, we can achieve up to 7,500mw in less than a year.
We also have the mambilla project with can generate 3000mw which I believe can be completed in two years along side other mini stations like the Kano and zamfara power station.

My friend, there are many ways we can have appreciable increase in power capacity even if not up to the proposed 20000mw, but I believe it is achievable.

thanks once again for accepting that the promise is not feasible and any improvements in the next four years would be as a result of power plants currently been constructed by gej

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ibadan In Its Rusty Glory - Photos / Railway Projects: Cost Comparison Between Nigeria Vs Ethiopia / Despite Police Warning IPOB Members Storm Checkpoint For Burial

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.