Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,267 members, 7,954,039 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 11:18 AM

Buhari Shouldn’t Ignore Confab Recommendations — Uranta - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Shouldn’t Ignore Confab Recommendations — Uranta (13767 Views)

Buhari's Cabinet Shake-up: My Candid Recommendations For Sack / Buhari Shouldn’t Push Dasuki To Say All – Abdulsalam, LP Chair / Buhari Shouldn’t Have Been In Nigeria Army — Omisore (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Shouldn’t Ignore Confab Recommendations — Uranta by Onyi42(m): 8:20am On Apr 21, 2015
Mr. Tony Uranta is Executive Secretary, Nigeria National Summit Group, NNSG and a former member of the National Dialogue Committee. Uranta, in this interview states why the Presidemt-elect, Maj-General Muhammudu Buhari (retd) should not discard the reports of the National Conference arguing that it would assist the new administration restructure the nation.

Excerpts:

What are the expectations of Nigerians from the President-elect as he takes over by May 29?

I think it will be proper to begin by congratulating General Buhari for having true persistence and doggedness because I am still astonished at a general of his age repeatedly contesting for that office and not being deterred by the fact that he was losing consistently.

We expect him, most of all, to focus on the restructuring of Nigeria. You will remember that the Yoruba’s Afenifere and a great deal of people supported President Jonathan not because they liked his face, not because they necessarily liked his politics, but because they like the fact that he committed to restructuring this nation as it is needed and necessary if it is to sustainably continue as a united, progressive Nigeria.

Biggest platform

One of the biggest platforms on which he now created this ethos of restructuring is the platform of the National Conference.

Many of us, who were supportive of the National Conference and its recommendations, have been calling for the implementation of the recommendations of the Conference. If all that General Buhari does is to implement the National Conference’s recommendations, the President-elect would be a hero. But, he has already begun to win my heart by announcing that he will not nominate or appoint anybody into public office who has not sworn to declare his assets in Court, not just to the Code of Conduct Bureau. Let me sidetrack and repeat, I am not a member of any party. I was, and I am, a friend and supporter of President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan. But I am primarily a citizen of this nation that wants Nigeria to improve, and I have the pedigree to prove this beyond any reasonable doubt. even before he began.

Of course, very importantly, we will expect that General Buhari does one thing that everybody is expecting him to do as soon he assumes office; he must end the terrorism and insurgency in the North East as soon as possible because that was the key promise of his campaign-”we will stop Boko Haram, we know how to stop Boko Haram and we know who Boko Haram is”. Yes, that is his pledge.

And, truly, since, we must admit, they have not attacked us so much since he won the election, I want to assume that once he ascends into power, Boko Haram will formally sign-out. But in reality, we know that BokoHaram has formally aligned itself with its cousins ISIS, we know that the Al-Shabab is increasing operations in East Africa, AQIM is expanding through North-Western Africa further south into Mali etc, Yemen is burning, Syria is exploding, so whether Boko Haram is going to die that kind of a natural death remains to be seen.

But, having had the opportunity to work with him politically in the past, I want to believe the General is man of his word. If he does not put Boko Haram out of business within the first 90 days of his being in office, Nigerians would be able to say to him very openly and frankly, “General, you lied to us”, because he repeatedly assured us he would make Boko Haram stop immediately he becomes President.

I want to think, because he was chosen by Boko Haram as their public representative, he had already spoken with them and they had acceded, but, whichever which way, all we are saying, Mr. President-Elect, is ‘Stop Boko Haram’.

These are the imperative things General Buhari must do for us within the first 100 days, to get us to welcome him and say that truly Jega’s Nigerians did not make a mistake; then we all will applaud him and say, “we chose a better leader by bringing in Buhari”. However, if Buhari does not do those key things, I do not know how today’s NIgerians and posterity will judge him.

Do you think the South-East and South-South miscalculated in the last election?

I think anybody who thinks that the voting patterns would influence the composition of government as to ethnic or religious biases, does not understand what modern nationhood is all about. General Buhari or any leader at the national or state levels cannot but be seen to fully carry along every member of their relevant electorate’s demographics (be they women, youth, elderly, disadvantaged physically, religios, ethnic ) if they wish this nation well.

They cannot say, for example, I am going to restrict governance to members of my party. General Buhari cannot for example say, I wont have Igbo in my cabinet, he cannot say, I will punish the South-East and the South-South for not voting for me or against me. If he does that, he would have fully played into the hands of his detractors. If he does that he would have laid the foundation for the crumbling of Nigerian unity, peace and progress within less than six months of his coming to power.

Whether we like it or not, there are indigenous people and settlers in every part of Nigeria but we must not encourage this indigene and non-indigene dichotomy to keep on negatively building up in this country.

Silly partisan thoughtlessness

We are looking for how we can unite Nigeria, not further divide it over silly partisan thoughtlessness and insensitivities. Every incoming government has to look at the demographics of its state or the nation snd include every member-group in its workings as much as is feasible. For example, I am not happy that Lagos had only Ben Akabueze as Commissioner.

There is no Ijaw man or woman. Do you know what the Ijaw vote does in Lagos? All these must be taken into consideration in tomorrow’s Nigeria, this New Nigeria that we are beginning to see being birthed before our eyes.[img]http://cdn2.vanguardngr.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/412x243xuranta1.jpg.pagespeed.ic.FBQ7p9IKPH.webp[/img]
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/04/buhari-shouldnt-ignore-confab-recommendations-uranta/

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Shouldn’t Ignore Confab Recommendations — Uranta by Nobody: 8:26am On Apr 21, 2015
Hmmm, by their fruits, you shall know them. Tony Uranta, you sound so Gejites.

11 Likes

Re: Buhari Shouldn’t Ignore Confab Recommendations — Uranta by iykebesbt1(m): 8:32am On Apr 21, 2015
Confab wey dem go chop money..
He should ignore that _shit and bring something more real to the table.. Confab was a fluke.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Shouldn’t Ignore Confab Recommendations — Uranta by Emyogalanya: 8:44am On Apr 21, 2015
Hmmm will he even look or ask about it did u not hear what shehu sani said that gej should take it home as his personal property on his way to otueke? Did buhari and his party attend the conference how do you expect dem to implement what they fought against i dont expect that from buhari and wait for this bombshell what was goodluck waiting for a whole year to start implementing the outcome of his conference why wait for ur enemy to come and implement what d north almost staged a walk out on you shame me at gej even after loss u could have set the ball rolling create those dann state and resource control that was refereed back to ur table you did nothing my tears will forever flow you had the chance to reorganise the country and made it optional for anyone who wants to be part of it now they search for oil in chad basin so they can seperate Gej it was all about the oil all this while and you could not see it now they dare dignify you with the title elder stateman and you are proud to have kept ur (electoral)word to the north where are infrastructure and social amenities in the ss se we needed no appointments from you cos it benefits only the individuals and immediate families but infrastructure impacts on us all now the appointments will be gone along wit the infrastructre and worst of all political relevance at least infrastructure would have been our consolation yet i vehemently refuse to agree buhari is my president #wehavenopresidenttill2019

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Shouldn’t Ignore Confab Recommendations — Uranta by Mogidi: 8:55am On Apr 21, 2015
On the confab report we stand, Nigeria needs restructuring.

17 Likes

Re: Buhari Shouldn’t Ignore Confab Recommendations — Uranta by efilefun(m): 8:59am On Apr 21, 2015
it needs to be reviewed first and moreover if its not part of his plans then he can discard it, he might have better options than what billions were been spent on by GEJ

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Shouldn’t Ignore Confab Recommendations — Uranta by efilefun(m): 9:01am On Apr 21, 2015
Since you dont believe in his administration you can also go on exile till 2019.... We believe in GMB and by the grace of God he will deliver this nation..

Emyogalanya:
Hmmm will he even look or ask about it did u not hear what shehu sani said that gej should take it home as his personal property on his way to otueke? Did buhari and his party attend the conference how do you expect dem to implement what they fought against i dont expect that from buhari and wait for this bombshell what was goodluck waiting for a whole year to start implementing the outcome of his conference why wait for ur enemy to come and implement what d north almost staged a walk out on you shame me at gej even after loss u could have set the ball rolling create those dann state and resource control that was refereed back to ur table you did nothing my tears will forever flow you had the chance to reorganise the country and made it optional for anyone who wants to be part of it now they search for oil in chad basin so they can seperate Gej it was all about the oil all this while and you could not see it now they dare dignify you with the title elder stateman and you are proud to have kept ur (electoral)word to the north where are infrastructure and social amenities in the ss se we needed no appointments from you cos it benefits only the individuals and immediate families but infrastructure impacts on us all now the appointments will be gone along wit the infrastructre and worst of all political relevance at least infrastructure would have been our consolation yet i vehemently refuse to agree buhari is my president #wehavenopresidenttill2019

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Shouldn’t Ignore Confab Recommendations — Uranta by Goke7: 9:08am On Apr 21, 2015
some guys are still yet to recover from the loss at the polls na wa o, Mr uranta or whatever your name is, wake up to reality, GEJ is gone and you cannot force your own agenda on GMB simple

17 Likes

Re: Buhari Shouldn’t Ignore Confab Recommendations — Uranta by Dannyset(m): 9:09am On Apr 21, 2015
Is this man talking about implementing confab report or he want to paint Buhari as Bokoharam?
Some people's hatred is likely to put them into judicial problem. Even all is thought are not coordinated.

10 Likes

Re: Buhari Shouldn’t Ignore Confab Recommendations — Uranta by Emyogalanya: 10:32am On Apr 21, 2015
efilefun:
Since you dont believe in his administration you can also go on exile till 2019.... We believe in GMB and by the grace of God he will deliver this nation..

of cos have we not always been in exile in this country hope you remember the "Republic in exil" phrase and you might as well tell me the country of ur exile in the past five years since this hate for our presidents started five years ago with you dont others have the right to hatefull feelings too why do you apc guys like monopolising everything in this country whats sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Shouldn’t Ignore Confab Recommendations — Uranta by DaGC(m): 12:37pm On Apr 21, 2015
It won't hurt to at least examine the confab report. He might see interesting ideas on how to make Nigeria better which is what we all clamour for.

Anything for a better Nigeria works for me smiley

1 Like

Re: Buhari Shouldn’t Ignore Confab Recommendations — Uranta by ShowYourCertificate: 12:01am On Apr 22, 2015
A very good advice. But I know our clueless, senile and certificateless president-elect will not heed this advice grin

12 Likes

Re: Buhari Shouldn’t Ignore Confab Recommendations — Uranta by bright007(f): 12:19am On Apr 22, 2015
shoro niyen?

1 Like

Re: Buhari Shouldn’t Ignore Confab Recommendations — Uranta by Pavore9: 12:20am On Apr 22, 2015
Hmm...those guys hammer pay from that confab!

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Shouldn’t Ignore Confab Recommendations — Uranta by 9niceguy(m): 12:20am On Apr 22, 2015
Una go vomit that 12million + wey all delegate chop except Tunde Bakare

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Shouldn’t Ignore Confab Recommendations — Uranta by Ebubeslym(m): 12:20am On Apr 22, 2015
he shouldn't.
but I doubt if he'll give a hoot.
Re: Buhari Shouldn’t Ignore Confab Recommendations — Uranta by BabaO2: 12:20am On Apr 22, 2015
Who is he? Jonathan apologist telling people's General what to do.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Shouldn’t Ignore Confab Recommendations — Uranta by Nobody: 12:21am On Apr 22, 2015

Re: Buhari Shouldn’t Ignore Confab Recommendations — Uranta by Tonniey(m): 12:22am On Apr 22, 2015
Una no dey sleep ni?
Re: Buhari Shouldn’t Ignore Confab Recommendations — Uranta by 9niceguy(m): 12:22am On Apr 22, 2015
ShowYourCertificate:
A very good advice. But I know our clueless, senile and certificateless president-elect will not heed this advice grin

Stop insulting baba abeg

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Shouldn’t Ignore Confab Recommendations — Uranta by okotv(m): 12:24am On Apr 22, 2015
its at his own prerogative. Leave him alone and stop all this unsolicited advices

1 Like

Re: Buhari Shouldn’t Ignore Confab Recommendations — Uranta by Wizdray: 12:29am On Apr 22, 2015
Am year older today!!
Show me some love guys
Thanks
Jah bless

16 Likes

Re: Buhari Shouldn’t Ignore Confab Recommendations — Uranta by Nobody: 12:29am On Apr 22, 2015
With the wolves in and above tacitly yeaning for the northern agenda, I doubt.
But with the now unification of the south (SS/SE). . . . I comment my reserve.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari Shouldn’t Ignore Confab Recommendations — Uranta by lordsharks(m): 12:33am On Apr 22, 2015
Wishing him best of luck
Re: Buhari Shouldn’t Ignore Confab Recommendations — Uranta by Nobody: 12:33am On Apr 22, 2015
I'm sure Buhari will act faster on implementing the recommendations than GEJ.

Meanwhile here's a thread on amorc :
https://www.nairaland.com/2225497/ask-me-question-amorc-other
Re: Buhari Shouldn’t Ignore Confab Recommendations — Uranta by Nobody: 12:37am On Apr 22, 2015
uranta
Re: Buhari Shouldn’t Ignore Confab Recommendations — Uranta by kayode27: 12:39am On Apr 22, 2015
Let GMB decide.

55% of Nigerians believe in him and that's why he is the president-elect today.

BTW if he ignores the report, Nigeria can afford the loss. After all is just another mere billions flushed down the toilet.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Shouldn’t Ignore Confab Recommendations — Uranta by MrMcJay(m): 12:40am On Apr 22, 2015
Animals with horns are having a meeting and a snail too wants to join.

Uranta of all people is advising Buhari?

I intended to overlook his previous antecedents, but "No matter how much sense a mad man is making in his speech, he would still say something that shows he is mad."

So, the Ijaws too want a commissioner slot in Lagos?

When Tony Uranta was employed as an Ijaw man in Jonathan's cabinet, how many Ijaws did h help?

There is one Ijaw man who has turned himself into Nairaland resident parasite begging for 'protection' from members, did his Ijaw brothers in power help him?

For his information, APC had no official representation to that Confab and as such, that should suggest the probable stand of the APC as regards Confab matters to him.

He should please keep his foul thoughts within himself and stop advertising his ignorance all around.

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Shouldn’t Ignore Confab Recommendations — Uranta by efilefun(m): 12:41am On Apr 22, 2015
it needs to be reviewed first and moreover if its not part of his plans then he can discard it, he might have better options than what billions were been spent on by GEJ

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Shouldn’t Ignore Confab Recommendations — Uranta by bfire(m): 12:44am On Apr 22, 2015
Dannyset:
Is this man talking about implementing confab report or he want to paint Buhari as Bokoharam?
Some people's hatred is likely to put them into judicial problem. Even all is thought are not coordinated.

You surely comprehend the man. He's pained and been vague about his feelings

How would you suggest to another government to implement what it does not believe in.

All Gej did was to play politics and waste a lot of fund in doing so
He failed to implement anything for 1 yr, as usual of his administration

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Bismarck Rewane: VP Osinbajo “Absolutely Correct” On Artificially Low Forex Rate / Oshiomhole Visits The Ogieneni Of Uzairue Kingdom (Pictures) / Arewa Youths Assembly Calls For Postponement Of The 2023 Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.