Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,320 members, 7,867,867 topics. Date: Saturday, 22 June 2024 at 05:51 AM

Not In My Name – Tony Okoroji - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Not In My Name – Tony Okoroji (494 Views)

Al-Mustapha Arrives Owerri, Meets With Okoroji (Photos) / Robert Okoroji For Lagos State Governor? / Tony Okoroji's Open Letter To Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Not In My Name – Tony Okoroji by shamecurls(m): 9:27pm On Apr 21, 2015
NOT IN MY NAME – TONY OKOROJI

I am a very proud Igbo man. I am also a Christian.
But not for one minute did I buy the argument that because of ethnic or religious consideration, it was my duty to support a leadership that is not committed to any of the values that I hold.

The Igbo man is known for his inventiveness. We are incredibly hard working and can compete with anyone from anywhere as long as there is a level playing field. Our quarrel with the rest of Nigeria has been that now and again, we have been visited with hatred because of our inventiveness and hard work.

I am therefore pained that by the actions of some election contractors of Igbo extraction, every person from the South East of Nigeria may now be a suspect in the hideous enterprise of “vote swinging” and the repulsive attempt to manipulate the outcome of the current elections.

For the Igbos to have been seen as the main backers of government that has continuously stood good sense on its head and shown very little strategic intellect is a historic mistake. The
destructive alliance that may have suggested that my people have willy-nilly supported the unsustainable financial corruption and value corruption that has recently gone on in Nigeria, has done the Igbo man a lot of harm.

The only thing we have achieved is to make ourselves irrelevant in the Nigerian political process. Can you imagine the Igbos, a critical part of the tripod on which Nigeria has stood, becoming a minority in Nigeria’s political market place?

Let it be known that the biggest loser in the current elections is not Goodluck Jonathan. It is the Igbo man.
How could we not have seen that Nigerians have been desperately yearning for change and tap into that burning desire? 2.50% in Enugu; 2.64% in Anambra; 3.60% in Abia; 5.97% in Ebonyi! Apart from Imo, no state in the South East is recorded as having given up to 6% of its vote to the next President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Who set up this stupid rigging machine that has rigged the Igbos out of Nigerian politics? How did we become mere spectators in a game in which we have the ability to produce the center forward?

What exactly did we get from the PDP to mortgage the future of our children? While the rest of the country was running away from the odium of that political party, we were kissing the PDP, cuddling the PDP and making love like crazy with the PDP. Can you imagine that we are now the owners of a terribly afflicted PDP? We even killed APGA to get what? What a tragedy!

It must be said that there are many Igbos who did not buy into this abysmal gamble of our so called leaders. I want my grandchildren to know that I was not part of this madness. Let them be told that, like many Igbos, I stood firm with the time honoured values of the Igbo man and refused to sell my conscience for a mess of porridge. History must record it

2 Likes

Re: Not In My Name – Tony Okoroji by theV0ice: 9:43pm On Apr 21, 2015
Source pls!! or is the OP a mind reader assigned to Tony Okoroji??
Re: Not In My Name – Tony Okoroji by modath(f): 9:53pm On Apr 21, 2015
Na wah

(1) (Reply)

INEC Denying Us Access To Election Materials – Rivers APC / 6 Kind Of Senators You Will Find In The Nigerian National Assembly / S.africa Responds To Nigeria's Decision To Recall Acting High Commissioner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.