Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,811 members, 7,817,356 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:50 AM

Review Of "talk About It" By Switchedonnaija.com - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Review Of "talk About It" By Switchedonnaija.com (785 Views)

Opinion: Review Of 2face's "Ascension" Album. / M.i New Album (talk About It) / Review Of Modenine's Album: Emphasis On Track 22:death Blow (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Review Of "talk About It" By Switchedonnaija.com by simonseez: 7:36pm On Jan 31, 2009
review of M.I's Talk about it album by Switchedonnaija.com
http://switchedonnaija.com/newcms/index.php?categoryid=16&p2003_articleid=13

Let’s talk about it; M.I’s debut album has been playing on my ipod for a few weeks now. You see after listening to it a couple of times, I was sure convinced a proper review would be a huge task and hard to achieve. Luckily I did my research from blogs to sites including Switched On to read up on M.I.

Now since we are all in the buzz of Obama becoming the first African American president, we easily forget the road he took at achieving the results we all celebrate today. Okay, it would be a sin to try compare a tall black articulate powerful individual with a short black articulate boy (okay young man J), but I should say the road to achieving their dream may have easily been the same. This dude (M.I) came into the spotlight with his faculties in check. In my view he came to disable the equilibrium and make his senior brothers and sisters in hip-hop sweat and go back to their old notes and try come up with real lines powerful enough to make people think.

So this time, I have decided not to review this album! This is because it would be hard to do it justice.

However, I can tell you about “Anoti” (track 2) and how M.I introduces himself as Nigeria’s Hip Hop token! No disrespect to our uncles and aunties in hip-hop, who choose to waste their studio-time dissin each other, but M.I could just be right. He’s fresh, he’s real and he has got his identity stamped on his forehead! Let me try and imagine what one of our uncles in hip-hop would have said when they listened to M.I’s album for the first time.

They would have looked for mistakes and found none. They would have imagined how they could have made a particular phrase rhyme better, but their I.Qs may not have been able to comprehend such creative genius. So at the end of the day, maybe they may have been able to diss some of the skits on this track (let’s give them that!)

They (our uncles and aunties in hip-hop) could try to diss his height, but on track 3, he’s already told you that though he’s a short black boy, he can move the crowd and he’s good with the ladies too. He has told you his name is Jude and not Judas, so you can’t use this against him too. Track 3, “Short Black Boy”, is a smooth biography of this guy who’s out here for business.

You see when M.I “talks about it” and calls himself a rooster; he’s also saying he means business. Many rappers feel they need to frown like warriors in the 300 movie when talking about social issues. They go on frowning into the camera and acting like new members of the hit serial HEOROES! I even like the way he pronounces “amebo” sef. He talks with a conscience and suggests that though some people in government might want him silenced, the street credibility pushes his crusade.

Now “Safe” featuring Djinee wasn’t even supposed to make the album. It’s funny because the whole world is making so much noise about something they were ready to give out for free. Is M.I picking at everybody in the industry by sampling their songs and making it sound better? (No comment)

Now many of us are waiting for the opportunity to dance to “Blaze” in the club. Others need to love-vendor up their sound systems to put this jamming track on full blast while in their cars. We get to hear Jesse here, and we know there are better things to come out of these guys. Personally for a guy that gave up smoking, I wish I heard this those years I was lighting up, it would have given my smoke breaks more swagger (don’t mind me o). But this isn’t about smoking guys! Listen to the words. M.I saves the best for the last. Just as we thought it was ending Blaise does justice to the track and seals this as a confirmed 'hit'.

I could tell you about “Area”, my new hip-hop national anthem. I get goose bumps when I hear this, because it’s all about national pride people. Wait, M.I takes another swing at our uncles and aunties “I’m not saying I’m the best but I’m asking who's better?” I could easily answer that question (lol). M.I continues with the swings, “I’ll make this other rappers sweat in the rain and they vex cuz they lame but the cheques in my name.” Haba M.I, take it easy bro. You wan kill dem?

Now you see the next track “Fast Money, Fast Cars” shouts ‘controversial’ from the word go. You see at first we could use this as struggling guys to challenge the ‘aristos’ and big girls in society. But at the same time, these girls on the spot call themselves hustlers, ”Mike Adenuga types, I need a man to make me glow”. So, just as I was going to use this to diss them, I could imagine one of them asking me if “I had an end-of discussion (Honda car) cuz that would signal an end of discussion"! M.I keeps it in check by saying “don’t spend your life to buy money, cuz you can’t spend your money to buy life.” True talk jare! At least I can use that on them!

Wait a minute people; I am not reviewing this album o. I can’t go on and talk about the music, the beats and the brilliant production and the mixers M.I borrowed from Paula and Amy, lol

My clients owe me, and M.I’s “Money” strikes a nerve! It drives the point home. There’s only one of the uncles in Hip-Hop who have been able to strike the same chord with me when it comes to struggling to make it (no names here). Back to M.I, “Money slow to enter, money quick to go!” Could I add at this point that M.I does not say he is broke. He just says he, like a lot of us, may not have been the flashy guy or big boy when growing up. You know the guys that got everything on a silver spoon and oppressed our adolescent years, this brings back memories (sniff, sniff)

Aha, “forever” is another club banger. I am already practising a step for this song in the club. In my days we used to call it the “Toasting Song”. The guy mouth sweet well well for this track! “Hello hi, I’m M.I. I’m so fly my low is high!”Yes o! Everything about this track is smooth. And Yes, M.I is singing on the hooks. Maybe I’ll use this song to get a babe for Valentine’s Day.

Just as this song “forever” ends with me thinking about sinful things, the next one “Jehovah” makes me see the angels! (Sharp contrast M.I) I was savouring the moment there and then from nowhere I hear Jehovah, lol. Could M.I make it as a gospel artist? The answer is yes. I wonder what would happen if the guys who sit on top of roofs find out this lyricist was coming into their terrain to build a skyscraper over their heads and cast them in a shadow? They would ask and pray that God would use a stick to hit his head! (I got jokes, lol)

I'll end here and talk about “hustle”, though I wish it followed either “Money” or “Area” on the album. It’s about the hustle guys! and M.I shows us where he gets that needed push from. I once heard from a very unlikely source (Kimora Lee Simmons) “Don’t forget your past, but Never forget where you’re going”. M.I says never forget the place where you’re from cuz, if you don’t come home what good have you done (shout out to all my people overseas).

So just as M.I tries to make us all believers, he gives a shout out to those who are ready to travel dusty roads to get paid. So, as we listen to this young lyricist, we soon realize what Jude (M.I) is all about.

Let’s Talk about it guys, buy the album, it’s definitely Switched On. Before I go, I’ll like to use this medium to say to our uncles and aunties in hip-hop; Live and learn guys. Okay even if you can’t come out in public and endorse the album be true to yourselvesJ.

In closing, I would like to warn M.I and the whole chocolate city, UnRulies, Loopy records' crew and all. Respect your elders o. You guys are making them (the old school) look irrelevant (lol). You’re changing the game. Please make una do am small small! They (our uncles and aunties) also want and need to be relevant.

Shikena!
Re: Review Of "talk About It" By Switchedonnaija.com by omonaij(m): 10:24am On Feb 02, 2009
wink M.I rocks!
Re: Review Of "talk About It" By Switchedonnaija.com by otobiloba1(m): 12:45pm On Feb 02, 2009
the dude did it
Re: Review Of "talk About It" By Switchedonnaija.com by busygirl(f): 1:47pm On Feb 04, 2009
I avn't heard the full album. Only coz i don't know how to get it here in u.k. BUT, i av heard some lovely tracks off the album. Personally, I love Blaze. There's just something about that song, there's the SWAG in effect, Confirmed tune, the lines are sick. Mehn. wat more can i ask for? Also my second favourite is HUSTLE.  Recently, i av decided to cut off from naija music, but i can't help the feeling I get when it comes to M.i. He's such an adorable genius, plus i love his accent. Anywayz, nice review. I wish someday i'll get to listen to the full album.
Re: Review Of "talk About It" By Switchedonnaija.com by Bamsyle(m): 5:52pm On Feb 04, 2009
No long story for now but Blaze is my fave joint on that album. Not 'bout the danceable rhythm but it's just so splendid a track. Nice beat, real tight flows, great hook. Plus there's a Jamaican touch in the hook - "Put your lighters in the air, o-oh". Overall concept is real nice. Jesse Jags impressed me most on it anyway.

"Talk About It", "Hustle", "Safe" are also great tracks.

*I might be back for a more indepth review*

Last word, if you're the type that loves rappers who are mostly into wordplay (above serious lyrics), MI would cut it for you.

(1) (Reply)

Rihanna-- The Face Of A Battered Woman. [picture] / This Guy Is Wicked! / Advance Warning - Nigeria's Next Rated Artistes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.