Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,732 members, 7,820,536 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:37 PM

We’re Dying Of Hunger, Imo Labourers Lament As Northerners Take Over State - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We’re Dying Of Hunger, Imo Labourers Lament As Northerners Take Over State (4284 Views)

Recesion: We’re Dying, Nigerians Lament - VANGUARD / Senate Summons Adeosun, Emefiele Over State Of Economy / Northerners take over NNPC(confirmed) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We’re Dying Of Hunger, Imo Labourers Lament As Northerners Take Over State by obailala(m): 12:20pm On Apr 23, 2015
Armaggedon:
Rochas okoroji we're watching.
Sweetguy25:
Since an hausa man is governor what do you expect?
AmucheJane:
A more reason why you guys should vote rochas out.
IGBOSON1:
Hehehehehe grin grin grin

Rochas! grin

Some dolts on this thread blaming Rochas must really really be very stuupid. What do you want Rochas to do about it?... Deport hard-working people who are adding economic value to the land?

1 Like

Re: We’re Dying Of Hunger, Imo Labourers Lament As Northerners Take Over State by Dbboy(m): 1:57pm On Apr 23, 2015
waternopassgari:
We’re dying of hunger, Imo labourers lament 0
BY OUR REPORTER ON APRIL 22, 2015 ORIENTAL NEWS
…[b]Say workers from North, Chad, Niger have taken over sta[/b]te

From GEORGE ONYEJIUWA, Owerri

“We have never had it this bad before because people who need workers always come to this place and hire us, but now we sit here from morning till evening without anybody coming to hire us and most times it is very difficult to transport ourselves back home.”

These were the exact words of Mr. Njoku Cletus, a mason as he lamented the plight of labourers in Imo State.

Menial workers are a common sight around the Owerri metropolis, especially around Mbaise Junction by Douglas and at the popular Ama J.K near the NIPOST office where they always gather everyday waiting and hoping for those who would come to seek their services ranging from plumbing, bricklaying, painting and carpentry.

In the past, these low category itinerant workers find work to do to eke out a living. But ironically while the state appears to be a massive construction site now as new buildings are sprouting up every day, this class of workers is left without works to do.

Oriental News gathered that the majority of the daily itinerant workers have been somewhat driven out of job by the Hausas, Nigeriens and Chadians who were said to agree to take whatever is paid to them by the building contractors in the state.

It was equally said that since the present Governor Rochas Okorocha administration came on board which witnessed a high influx of young men from the North to the state, most of the jobs they used to do are now being given to the Hausas while they are left with nothing to do, making them to wonder how they are going to cater for their various families. This, they said, has reduced most of them to beggars.

According to Ikechukwu Nwaobasi, a mason, “the labourers in almost all the new building sites are either Hausas or those from Chad or Niger and the reasons for hiring them is what we do not know because the majority of them are not professionals.”

He noted that the only reason the contractors preferred the Hausas or those from Chad was simply because they would accept whatever they are paid for a day.

“If you go to any new building site in Owerri, you will discover that the majority of those working there are either Hausas or those from Niger and Chad even when they are not as good as we are because the majority of the people you see here are professionals; and when you come here and tell us what you want, whether it is painting, plumbing, bricklaying or carpentry work we will charge appropriately and if you accept our price we will go with you to the place do it to your satisfaction.

“But I think that the contractors simply hire the Hausa and Chad people because they will take whatever they pay them because most of them don’t have families and don’t pay rent and so they can afford to accept anything given to them.”

Speaking in the same vein, Mathew Okereafor noted that even in the Imo State Government House, those usually favoured to carry out jobs are those from the North while the natives are never considered for such opportunities.

“We are suffering in this state because even in the Government House if there is anything to be done, it is usually the people from the North or Chad while the indigenes are never considered. We have never witnessed this kind of thing before. Even those who mend the roads in the state are usually those from the North and we are wondering if we are not supposed to enjoy our own state,” he lamented.

Chief Adike Nnaji, one of the building contractors, who spoke with Oriental News, said the reason most contractors prefer to hire either Hausa or the Chadians was because they would do the work according to specification.

“When they are complaining of not being hired for work, the reason behind that is that most of them are simply lazy and would not do as told. You must realize that when you hire a worker for a day’s job that work must be completed that very day but in most cases they will not be able to as instructed either because they know you. But give the same work to the Hausa man and he will do whatever he is asked to do without complaining, so you now see the difference,” he said.

He said that the people just want money without working for it, noting that as a businessman, he would only engage those who would be willing to work.

“I had engaged one of my kinsmen to fix five doors on the new building that I was handling; could you imagine that it took him almost two weeks to do that and each day, he will give an excuse but in the next project that I handled I called a man from Kwara State and in a week the entire doors of the entire house were fixed. So, when you see most of them on Douglas Road or at Ama JK it’s because people have discovered that they are lazy people,” he said.http://sunnewsonline.com/new/?p=115838

omu nwannem i support this o at least now we have option, the last time i traveled to my village obibi ochasi in orlu and i took some Carpenters to help me fix some problem they overcharged me and made a mess of the whole work that's why these days when am travelling home from the north i cry those laborer from the north because they are cheap and don't complain and the best part of it the get the work done to specification so those laborer should shut it and wake up because business knows no tribe what rule is how profitable a ventures get.
Re: We’re Dying Of Hunger, Imo Labourers Lament As Northerners Take Over State by Dbboy(m): 2:04pm On Apr 23, 2015
barcanista:
The indigent labourers should step up their game. I sympathise with them though but they need to look inward. As for mending of the Government House and Public road, I thinkk government should take it as a responsibility to ensure that indigens are preferred to such jobs before anyone else(all things being equal tho)

you wrote well, though am from imo i don't support any form of favoritism am for competition every man should compete that way we get the best. i don't support quota systerm, let the best man have it.

1 Like

Re: We’re Dying Of Hunger, Imo Labourers Lament As Northerners Take Over State by omonnakoda: 2:12pm On Apr 23, 2015
Funny I experience I had with one of my "COUSINS" . Needed to clear a field he negotiated like 30k then went to get some abokiis and agreed 10k with them I gave him 10k to mobilize and after 1 week the job was half done he was nowhere to be found with Abokis grumbling .He had not paid them one kobo,people can be mean.Like 5 years now and I still work with that Aboki.
Re: We’re Dying Of Hunger, Imo Labourers Lament As Northerners Take Over State by SkinnyDude(m): 3:41pm On Apr 23, 2015
haha. this thing cant happen in my state, Anambra..
Re: We’re Dying Of Hunger, Imo Labourers Lament As Northerners Take Over State by B69U: 4:35pm On Apr 23, 2015
omenka:
What is all this rubbish about SS and SE. Imo state is of the SE and has absolutely nothing to do with the SS.

A construction engineer would go for cheaper labour wherever he can find them as long as the job doesn't require any professional experience.

I guess Imolites have overpriced their labour, hence the preference of the construction companies or private developers.

It is for this same reason China has been witnessing an influx of American indigenous companies; availability of cheap labour in China. But some of you are just too bigoted to think like sane human beings.

SS/SE, if u dont like it hug a transformer. oloshi!
Re: We’re Dying Of Hunger, Imo Labourers Lament As Northerners Take Over State by gerald09(m): 5:02pm On Apr 23, 2015
sometimes people talk like a holez u guy kn that half of ur statemen/women live in the north, be careful dudes dont rock the boat.
Re: We’re Dying Of Hunger, Imo Labourers Lament As Northerners Take Over State by MeAboki(m): 8:21pm On Apr 23, 2015
Henceforth, nobody from the SE/SS should call northerners lazy or parasites because they clearly are not.
Re: We’re Dying Of Hunger, Imo Labourers Lament As Northerners Take Over State by waternopassgari: 9:52am On Apr 24, 2015
MeAboki:
Henceforth, nobody from the SE/SS should call northerners lazy or parasites because they clearly are not.

Let them be hard working in the North.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Real Face Of Wike's Wife Without Photoshop / Shocking News, House Stool(chair) Used In Lagos Bus As Passenger Seat / Biafra: It Will Be A Sorry Day For Nigeria If Anything Happens To Kanu‎ – Col. J

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.