Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,713 members, 7,820,493 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:51 PM

We’re Dying Of Hunger, Imo Labourers Lament As Northerners Take Over State - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We’re Dying Of Hunger, Imo Labourers Lament As Northerners Take Over State (4283 Views)

Recesion: We’re Dying, Nigerians Lament - VANGUARD / Senate Summons Adeosun, Emefiele Over State Of Economy / Northerners take over NNPC(confirmed) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We’re Dying Of Hunger, Imo Labourers Lament As Northerners Take Over State by Nobody: 11:21am On Apr 23, 2015
mrmetoo1:
Hahaha!! Why are they crying?? Imo is a no man's land na. They should even reward these hard working Hausas that are building Imo State with the deputy governor position.

If the Hausas can muster enough numbers to ask for deputy Governor role then that is fine. This is what we need to truly be ONE NIGERIA.
Re: We’re Dying Of Hunger, Imo Labourers Lament As Northerners Take Over State by Nobody: 11:23am On Apr 23, 2015
AmucheJane:
A more reason why you guys should vote rochas out.

No my dear I don;t think so, they should compete with the Hausa labourers. The Hausa labourers are free to seek menial jobs anywhere in Nigeria; they are in their country.

Nigeria is one. cool

1 Like

Re: We’re Dying Of Hunger, Imo Labourers Lament As Northerners Take Over State by MzJackBaueress(f): 11:24am On Apr 23, 2015
EUROBOMBER:

This thread makes no sense to me. They themselves have said that the reason why the Hausa labourers are preferred is because they take whatever pay they are given.

Can these labourers do the same?
They are trying to heap the blame on Rochas. Everything gone wrong is now the fault of Rochas. Smh

Odikwa egwu!
Re: We’re Dying Of Hunger, Imo Labourers Lament As Northerners Take Over State by Nobody: 11:26am On Apr 23, 2015
Rochas selling IMO

Re: We’re Dying Of Hunger, Imo Labourers Lament As Northerners Take Over State by Nobody: 11:27am On Apr 23, 2015
MzJackBaueress:
They are trying to heap the blame on Rochas. Everything gone wrong is now the fault of Rochas. Smh

Odikwa egwu!

This nonsense style of politics must stop.
Re: We’re Dying Of Hunger, Imo Labourers Lament As Northerners Take Over State by Nobody: 11:29am On Apr 23, 2015
SLIDEwaxie:
IMO is no man's land, deal with it
no problem, Hausa's can get the menial jobs in IMO, as long as igbos get enough political positions in Lagos. God bless Nigeria.
Re: We’re Dying Of Hunger, Imo Labourers Lament As Northerners Take Over State by Nobody: 11:29am On Apr 23, 2015
customized13:
Rochas selling IMO

There is nothing like selling Imo, Nigeria is one and the Hausas have done nothing wrong seeking their livelihood in Imo state. They are in their country.
Re: We’re Dying Of Hunger, Imo Labourers Lament As Northerners Take Over State by Chiaka(f): 11:32am On Apr 23, 2015
Rubbish! they should be ready to collect what other workers collect and worker without this rubbish complain. They ask for more they run out of business its a competitive world
Re: We’re Dying Of Hunger, Imo Labourers Lament As Northerners Take Over State by Nobody: 11:32am On Apr 23, 2015
waternopassgari:
[s]We’re dying of hunger, Imo labourers lament 0
BY OUR REPORTER ON APRIL 22, 2015 ORIENTAL NEWS
…[b]Say workers from North, Chad, Niger have taken over sta[/b]te

From GEORGE ONYEJIUWA, Owerri

“We have never had it this bad before because people who need workers always come to this place and hire us, but now we sit here from morning till evening without anybody coming to hire us and most times it is very difficult to transport ourselves back home.”

These were the exact words of Mr. Njoku Cletus, a mason as he lamented the plight of labourers in Imo State.

Menial workers are a common sight around the Owerri metropolis, especially around Mbaise Junction by Douglas and at the popular Ama J.K near the NIPOST office where they always gather everyday waiting and hoping for those who would come to seek their services ranging from plumbing, bricklaying, painting and carpentry.

In the past, these low category itinerant workers find work to do to eke out a living. But ironically while the state appears to be a massive construction site now as new buildings are sprouting up every day, this class of workers is left without works to do.

Oriental News gathered that the majority of the daily itinerant workers have been somewhat driven out of job by the Hausas, Nigeriens and Chadians who were said to agree to take whatever is paid to them by the building contractors in the state.

It was equally said that since the present Governor Rochas Okorocha administration came on board which witnessed a high influx of young men from the North to the state, most of the jobs they used to do are now being given to the Hausas while they are left with nothing to do, making them to wonder how they are going to cater for their various families. This, they said, has reduced most of them to beggars.

According to Ikechukwu Nwaobasi, a mason, “the labourers in almost all the new building sites are either Hausas or those from Chad or Niger and the reasons for hiring them is what we do not know because the majority of them are not professionals.”

He noted that the only reason the contractors preferred the Hausas or those from Chad was simply because they would accept whatever they are paid for a day.

“If you go to any new building site in Owerri, you will discover that the majority of those working there are either Hausas or those from Niger and Chad even when they are not as good as we are because the majority of the people you see here are professionals; and when you come here and tell us what you want, whether it is painting, plumbing, bricklaying or carpentry work we will charge appropriately and if you accept our price we will go with you to the place do it to your satisfaction.

“But I think that the contractors simply hire the Hausa and Chad people because they will take whatever they pay them because most of them don’t have families and don’t pay rent and so they can afford to accept anything given to them.”

Speaking in the same vein, Mathew Okereafor noted that even in the Imo State Government House, those usually favoured to carry out jobs are those from the North while the natives are never considered for such opportunities.

“We are suffering in this state because even in the Government House if there is anything to be done, it is usually the people from the North or Chad while the indigenes are never considered. We have never witnessed this kind of thing before. Even those who mend the roads in the state are usually those from the North and we are wondering if we are not supposed to enjoy our own state,” he lamented.

Chief Adike Nnaji, one of the building contractors, who spoke with Oriental News, said the reason most contractors prefer to hire either Hausa or the Chadians was because they would do the work according to specification.

“When they are complaining of not being hired for work, the reason behind that is that most of them are simply lazy and would not do as told. You must realize that when you hire a worker for a day’s job that work must be completed that very day but in most cases they will not be able to as instructed either because they know you. But give the same work to the Hausa man and he will do whatever he is asked to do without complaining, so you now see the difference,” he said.

He said that the people just want money without working for it, noting that as a businessman, he would only engage those who would be willing to work.

“I had engaged one of my kinsmen to fix five doors on the new building that I was handling; could you imagine that it took him almost two weeks to do that and each day, he will give an excuse but in the next project that I handled I called a man from Kwara State and in a week the entire doors of the entire house were fixed. So, when you see most of them on Douglas Road or at Ama JK it’s because people have discovered that they are lazy people,” he said.http://sunnewsonline.com/new/?p=115838[/s]
Re: We’re Dying Of Hunger, Imo Labourers Lament As Northerners Take Over State by Nobody: 11:33am On Apr 23, 2015
EUROBOMBER:

There is nothing like selling Imo, Nigeria is one and the Hausas have done nothing wrong seeking their livelihood in Imo state. They are in their country.
you are right, but our brothers from the west don't share you opinion.

2 Likes

Re: We’re Dying Of Hunger, Imo Labourers Lament As Northerners Take Over State by eCollynzo: 11:33am On Apr 23, 2015
Those labourers at Mbaise junction are really old and frail, no one will hire them if he has another option. They might be exprienced, but sometimes youthful strength and new ideas are needed.
They should go to the farms.
Re: We’re Dying Of Hunger, Imo Labourers Lament As Northerners Take Over State by Nobody: 11:34am On Apr 23, 2015
Chiaka:
Rubbish! they should be ready to collect what other workers collect and worker without this rubbish complain. They ask for more they run out of business its a competitive world

God bless you abundantly! This is just the truth, anyone trying to say otherwise is not being sincere.
Re: We’re Dying Of Hunger, Imo Labourers Lament As Northerners Take Over State by eCollynzo: 11:34am On Apr 23, 2015
Eyepencil:
Hahaha... Abokee man go buy something #100 sell am #80. U go begin wonder if the guy na philantropist. grin grin
That one na pure magician.
Re: We’re Dying Of Hunger, Imo Labourers Lament As Northerners Take Over State by Ozigbondu(m): 11:34am On Apr 23, 2015
Hausa offer cheap and efficent labour cheesy i will pick anytime over some people that demands you feed them though you pay them
Re: We’re Dying Of Hunger, Imo Labourers Lament As Northerners Take Over State by Nobody: 11:34am On Apr 23, 2015
eCollynzo:
Those labourers at Mbaise junction are really old and frail, no one will hire them if he has another option. They might be exprienced, but sometimes youthful strength and new ideas are needed.
They should go to the farms.

Well said. Nobody should turn this into politics please.
Re: We’re Dying Of Hunger, Imo Labourers Lament As Northerners Take Over State by Nobody: 11:35am On Apr 23, 2015
Ozigbondu:
Hausa offer cheap and efficent labour cheesy i will pick anytime over some people that demands you feed them though you pay them

Correct. I will pick those Hausa workers anyday if they can do the job and take less of my money.
Re: We’re Dying Of Hunger, Imo Labourers Lament As Northerners Take Over State by eCollynzo: 11:36am On Apr 23, 2015
I laugh when people say there are no non-indigenes in Igbo land.
Another aspect these northerners have taken over is Okada business in the outskirts of Owerri. They are gradually expanding from the usual strongholds (meat, selected foodstuffs, jwellries etc) to other areas of business.
Re: We’re Dying Of Hunger, Imo Labourers Lament As Northerners Take Over State by Nobody: 11:37am On Apr 23, 2015
customized13:
you are right, but our brothers from the west don't share you opinion.

Please leave the west out of this issue, the matter on hand is in Igboland.

2 Likes

Re: We’re Dying Of Hunger, Imo Labourers Lament As Northerners Take Over State by Nobody: 11:38am On Apr 23, 2015
eCollynzo:
I laugh when people say there are no non-indigenes in Igbo land.
Another aspect these northerners have taken over is Okada business in the outskirts of Owerri. They are gradually expanding from the usual strongholds (meat, selected foodstuffs, jwellries etc) to other areas of business.

I was shocked when I went to my village and saw them there. shocked
Re: We’re Dying Of Hunger, Imo Labourers Lament As Northerners Take Over State by Ozigbondu(m): 11:38am On Apr 23, 2015
EUROBOMBER:

Correct. I will pick those Hausa workers anyday if they can do the job and take less of my money.

The most annoying thing is that they old and slow yet demand that you will feed since you are a child
Re: We’re Dying Of Hunger, Imo Labourers Lament As Northerners Take Over State by Ozigbondu(m): 11:39am On Apr 23, 2015
eCollynzo:
That one na pure magician.

ls true shaaa aboki product is very cheap.l bought one mint from an igbo guy for N50 the next day i saw it in aboki shop this time for N30 from that day on l became abudul regular customer grin
Re: We’re Dying Of Hunger, Imo Labourers Lament As Northerners Take Over State by Nobody: 11:40am On Apr 23, 2015
Sweetguy25:

You're very right. There are very few Igbo labourers who are willing to work hard like there hausa counterparts. The house my brother is building is filled with these same hausa labourers. They are so hard working that sometimes I think they're machines.
The northerners have cheap manual labor in plenty than any other zone in Nigeria.

I was just being mischievous about Rochas.
Re: We’re Dying Of Hunger, Imo Labourers Lament As Northerners Take Over State by eCollynzo: 11:41am On Apr 23, 2015
EUROBOMBER:

This thread makes no sense to me. They themselves have said that the reason why the Hausa labourers are preferred is because they take whatever pay they are given.

Can these labourers do the same?
They also made it clear that the Hausas do not pay house rents or have families to take care of, so how can they do the same?
Those men who gather at those juctions are mainly old men, they young Igbo labourers do not gather there and they still get jobs.
Re: We’re Dying Of Hunger, Imo Labourers Lament As Northerners Take Over State by Nobody: 11:43am On Apr 23, 2015
Ozigbondu:

The most annoying thing is that they old and slow yet demand that you will feed since you are a child

grin grin grin grin
Re: We’re Dying Of Hunger, Imo Labourers Lament As Northerners Take Over State by Nobody: 11:44am On Apr 23, 2015
eCollynzo:
They also made it clear that the Hausas do not pay house rents or have families to take care of, so how can they do the same?
Those men who gather at those juctions are mainly old men, they young Igbo labourers do not gather there and they still get jobs.

Simple.
Re: We’re Dying Of Hunger, Imo Labourers Lament As Northerners Take Over State by project8(m): 11:52am On Apr 23, 2015
could this b anoda imophobia in waiting?...low life pple who can't witstand competition, meanwhile ur brodas are there in lagos formenting trouble by claiming they own lagos

1 Like

Re: We’re Dying Of Hunger, Imo Labourers Lament As Northerners Take Over State by omenka(m): 11:52am On Apr 23, 2015
B69U:
Odiegwu Ooooo!

Imo State have become the prodigal son of the SS AND SE, all because of Rochas and Jega desperation to rig our State.

Give us our state, give us our imo now. lalasticlala fp
What is all this rubbish about SS and SE. Imo state is of the SE and has absolutely nothing to do with the SS.

A construction engineer would go for cheaper labour wherever he can find them as long as the job doesn't require any professional experience.

I guess Imolites have overpriced their labour, hence the preference of the construction companies or private developers.

It is for this same reason China has been witnessing an influx of American indigenous companies; availability of cheap labour in China. But some of you are just too bigoted to think like sane human beings.

1 Like

Re: We’re Dying Of Hunger, Imo Labourers Lament As Northerners Take Over State by reborn1: 11:53am On Apr 23, 2015
The Japan of Africa...

2 Likes

Re: We’re Dying Of Hunger, Imo Labourers Lament As Northerners Take Over State by reborn1: 11:56am On Apr 23, 2015
MzJackBaueress:

Odikwa egwu!

You can see them calling the man Hausa and all sort of names, blaming Rochas like he has committed a crime but they are quick to claim Lagos and other places. Hypocrites everywhere.

1 Like

Re: We’re Dying Of Hunger, Imo Labourers Lament As Northerners Take Over State by SLIDEwaxie(m): 11:56am On Apr 23, 2015
customized13:
no problem, Hausa's can get the menial jobs in IMO, as long as igbos get enough political positions in Lagos. God bless Nigeria.
wot political appointment? grin grin

U didn't even constitute 3%

2 Likes

Re: We’re Dying Of Hunger, Imo Labourers Lament As Northerners Take Over State by Nobody: 12:11pm On Apr 23, 2015
kastonkastrol:
lol I thought our brothers across the niger don't do menial jobs. I thought they all work in big companies and open-up big businesses.
didn't you read where the men stated they are professionals whilst the hausa and nigeriens are not?
Re: We’re Dying Of Hunger, Imo Labourers Lament As Northerners Take Over State by otr1(m): 12:20pm On Apr 23, 2015
whether it is painting, plumbing, bricklaying or carpentry work we will charge appropriately and if you accept our price we will go with you to the place do it to your satisfaction.
“But I think that the contractors simply hire the Hausa and Chad people because they will take whatever they pay them because most of them don’t have families and don’t pay rent and so they can afford to accept anything given to them.
Last time I checked, the "Northerners", Tchadian and Nigeriens are not good in the bolded profession, except if we're talking about Laborers who can assist them. I personally would not engage the services of these people on such.

And to think these people do not have families is laughable. A 2
year old Hausa boy already has a wife and at least 3 kidsgrin. Their families are in the North o. Wait till rainy season and you'll not see them again; gone farminggrin.

The man I quoted below gave the reason for hiring Northerners. They do whatever you tell them to do
Chief Adike Nnaji, one of the building contractors, who spoke with Oriental News, said the reason most contractors prefer to hire either Hausa or the Chadians was because they would do the work according to specification.
However, I don't think they pay them any less.

Besides, Igbos are not good Artisans. I can't give my building project to neither Igbos, nor the Hausas.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari Grants Debt Forgiveness To 11 Un-named States / God Will Bless "Snailspeed" My Nairaland Hero / "See How A Man With Brooms Used African Method To Catch A Thief". Photos/Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.