Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,134 members, 7,818,421 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:02 PM

Scientists Edited The Genomes Of Human Embryos For The First Time - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Scientists Edited The Genomes Of Human Embryos For The First Time (4375 Views)

Top Five Nigerian Scientists And Their Great Inventions / Scientists Witnessed The Birth Of Planets For The First Time / 25 Questions That Push The Limits Of Human Stupidity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Scientists Edited The Genomes Of Human Embryos For The First Time by Feraz(m): 8:31am On Apr 24, 2015
China again?

In March, a rumor surfaced in the scientific community that was intriguing, and perhaps a bit chilling: According to those in the know, researchers in China had successfully edited the genomes of human embryos, altering their DNA in a way never accomplished in our own species. MIT Technology Review reported on the murmurings that someone had altered the germ line -- the genetic information that come together and form something new when eggs and sperm collide. Even unconfirmed, those rumors led to a lot of debate about the potential downsides of altering the germ line. Carl Zimmer has more on the controversy at his blog on National Geographic.

But it turns out the rumors are true.

On Wednesday, Nature News reported that the paper in question had been quietly published in a low-profile journal called Protein & Cell.

But no, you can't expect to see any genetically altered humans running around in the coming months, for better or for worse. From MIT Technology Review:

The team did not try to establish a pregnancy and say for ethical reasons they did their tests only in embryos that were abnormal.

“These authors did a very good job pointing out the challenges,” says Dieter Egli, a researcher at the New York Stem Cell Foundation in Manhattan. “They say themselves this type of technology is not ready for any kind of application.”

[img]https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://img.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_908w/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2014/09/12/Production/Health/Images/bigstock-Laboratory-Fertilization-Of-Eg-51452554.jpg&w=1484[/img]

The work, led by Junjiu Huang of Sun Yat-sen University in Guangzhou, focused on modifying the gene responsible for β-thalassaemia, a blood disorder that can be fatal. They used CRISPR, a cutting-edge gene editing tool that's already made serious waves in the genome editing of other species. By going after genes at the earliest stage of human development -- in a single-celled embryo -- theoretically one can make sure all the subsequent copies of the gene are the superior version.

But we have a long way to go before that's actually the case. From Nature News:

The team injected 86 embryos and then waited 48 hours, enough time for the CRISPR/Cas9 system and the molecules that replace the missing DNA to act — and for the embryos to grow to about eight cells each. Of the 71 embryos that survived, 54 were genetically tested. This revealed that just 28 were successfully spliced, and that only a fraction of those contained the replacement genetic material. “If you want to do it in normal embryos, you need to be close to 100%,” Huang says. “That’s why we stopped. We still think it’s too immature.”

Indeed, not all of the embryos that successfully received the new gene had it throughout all of their cells. Many were mosaics, with some good copies of the gene and some bad ones. Carl Zimmer points out that this could end really badly: If a doctor tested the potential embryos of a couple looking to edit out a deadly gene mutation, they might take a cell sample that showed the embryo as having the healthy gene. If it was a mosaic, the resulting baby might in fact have enough copies of the bad gene to cause problems.

And in some of the embryos, the gene editing caused unintended mutations in other genes.

"I believe this is the first report of CRISPR/Cas9 applied to human pre-implantation embryos and as such the study is a landmark, as well as a cautionary tale," George Daley, a stem-cell biologist at Harvard Medical School, told Nature. "Their study should be a stern warning to any practitioner who thinks the technology is ready for testing to eradicate disease genes."

So it's an exciting first step, but nothing more. Science has a long way to go before this is something we can do on embryos intended for implantation, and some are already trying to discourage researchers from taking the next steps toward that goal. Even the study authors themselves are incredibly cautious about their findings, firmly reporting that the technique is far from ready.

But you can be sure that such a caveat won't stop a lot of hoopla about the pros and cons of "designer babies."

Source

Those in the medical field, what do you make of this?

Reorganizing the human gene - removal of heredity illness, creation of stronger breed of humans? Is sci-fi coming to reality? shocked

CC: Ishilove, lalasticlala
Re: Scientists Edited The Genomes Of Human Embryos For The First Time by 2thpick: 8:44am On Apr 24, 2015
Beast mood activated. Sci.fi movies will then be romantic movies or dramas. cos there will be no fiction
Re: Scientists Edited The Genomes Of Human Embryos For The First Time by imbless: 8:45am On Apr 24, 2015
Re: Scientists Edited The Genomes Of Human Embryos For The First Time by andico34: 11:13am On Apr 24, 2015
China Again?

yes China.....i strongly believe believe the chinese will lead the way in this gene editing research and sectors because the chinese work like mad!
A top notch american professor will have about 500 research publicatrions to his name but a top notch chinese professor in the US will have about 4000!

CRISPR/CAS9 enzyme system developed in 2012 is far better than ZFNs and TALENs for gene editing....the problem lies with the fact human embryos or IPSCs or even EPSCs do not readily take up this modified DNA segments (and thus are less successful) when compared to murine models...thus the high failure rate. Till we get to the stage whereby we can overcome this challenge....gene editing on stem cells ex vivo remains the best bet
Re: Scientists Edited The Genomes Of Human Embryos For The First Time by xdos(m): 7:01pm On Apr 24, 2015
no be small designer babies..
I hope this will not end up turning to what the world will regret cos at the end of the day, they may end up creating zombies.. (maybe I have been seeing too much of zombie movies).
On a serious note, this is more like tampering with human life and am not sure we want 'made in China' babies
Re: Scientists Edited The Genomes Of Human Embryos For The First Time by Feraz(m): 7:46pm On Apr 24, 2015
andico34:
China Again?

yes China.....i strongly believe believe the chinese will lead the way in this gene editing research and sectors because the chinese work like mad!
A top notch american professor will have about 500 research publicatrions to his name but a top notch chinese professor in the US will have about 4000!
No doubt about the fact that the Chinese work very hard.

CRISPR/CAS9 enzyme system developed in 2012 is far better than ZFNs and TALENs for gene editing....the problem lies with the fact human embryos or IPSCs or even EPSCs do not readily take up this modified DNA segments (and thus are less successful) when compared to murine models...thus the high failure rate. Till we get to the stage whereby we can overcome this challenge....gene editing on stem cells ex vivo remains the best bet
I will not deny that I do not understand this. . .

xdos:
no be small designer babies..
I hope this will not end up turning to what the world will regret cos at the end of the day, they may end up creating zombies.. (maybe I have been seeing too much of zombie movies).
On a serious note, this is more like tampering with human life and am not sure we want 'made in China' babies
While this its good side, there are also draw backs. . . Imagine creating super soldiers with this. . . shocked
Re: Scientists Edited The Genomes Of Human Embryos For The First Time by xdos(m): 8:44pm On Apr 24, 2015
I think you've been seeing a lot of sci-fi movies.. grin grin grin
Feraz:
No doubt about the fact that the Chinese work very hard.

While this its good side, there are also draw backs. . . Imagine creating super soldiers with this. . . shocked
Re: Scientists Edited The Genomes Of Human Embryos For The First Time by Feraz(m): 9:09pm On Apr 24, 2015
xdos:
Brother, we no dey know finish oh grin grin. . . No be for this world person dey attempt head transplant?
Re: Scientists Edited The Genomes Of Human Embryos For The First Time by xdos(m): 10:29pm On Apr 24, 2015
Feraz:
Brother, we no dey know finish oh grin grin. . . No be for this world person dey attempt head transplant?
head transplant kwa? Hahahahahahaha abeg for which country
Re: Scientists Edited The Genomes Of Human Embryos For The First Time by Feraz(m): 10:39pm On Apr 24, 2015
xdos:
head transplant kwa? Hahahahahahaha abeg for which country
Check am for here
Re: Scientists Edited The Genomes Of Human Embryos For The First Time by andico34: 7:20am On Apr 25, 2015

hmmm...ok let me try and break this down......ZFNs and TALENs are enzymes that are used for cutting DNA and were employed extensively in the 1990s and early 2000s but they have a major draw back.....they do not cut DNA at precise points.....and this could lead to development of abnormalities like cancer.....CRISPR/CAS 9 enzyme system cuts DNA at precise points and thus it is a far better technology. when we say murine models it means research work that has been conducted on mice. In mice research, a single stem cell can readily take up one or two copies of Corrected DNA segments (or genes) and thus the high success rates noted here.....but in human embryos or stem cells....the ability to take may be 1/100 of this and thus the higher failure rates.... for now....but the technology is improving and we can get there in less than 5 years...and the chinese will probably spearhead this breakthrough (i believe those working in the USA have a better chance)
Re: Scientists Edited The Genomes Of Human Embryos For The First Time by Feraz(m): 9:13pm On Apr 26, 2015
andico34:

hmmm...ok let me try and break this down......ZFNs and TALENs are enzymes that are used for cutting DNA and were employed extensively in the 1990s and early 2000s but they have a major draw back.....they do not cut DNA at precise points.....and this could lead to development of abnormalities like cancer.....CRISPR/CAS 9 enzyme system cuts DNA at precise points and thus it is a far better technology. when we say murine models it means research work that has been conducted on mice. In mice research, a single stem cell can readily take up one or two copies of Corrected DNA segments (or genes) and thus the high success rates noted here.....but in human embryos or stem cells....the ability to take may be 1/100 of this and thus the higher failure rates.... for now....but the technology is improving and we can get there in less than 5 years...and the chinese will probably spearhead this breakthrough (i believe those working in the USA have a better chance)
Ok. . .makes sense!

Do you see the world ready to accept such feat?
Re: Scientists Edited The Genomes Of Human Embryos For The First Time by Blakjewelry(m): 9:35pm On Apr 26, 2015
Feraz:
Ok. . .makes sense!

When the time is right the world will. I believe one day with gene editing we will able to improve our sight like that of Eagle, see via infra ray and maybe get echo location like dolphins, I mean that will be cooooool
Re: Scientists Edited The Genomes Of Human Embryos For The First Time by Feraz(m): 9:42pm On Apr 26, 2015
Blakjewelry:

When the time is right the world will. I believe one day with gene editing we will able to improve our sight like that of Eagle, see via infra ray and maybe get echo location like dolphins, I mean that will be cooooool
LOL!!! You highlighted the pros. . .what of the cons?
Re: Scientists Edited The Genomes Of Human Embryos For The First Time by Blakjewelry(m): 10:27pm On Apr 26, 2015
Feraz:
LOL!!! You highlighted the pros. . .what of the cons?
What are the cons though I know it is still faraway but once we can perfect the process except you wan to let me on what I did not consider before
Re: Scientists Edited The Genomes Of Human Embryos For The First Time by andico34: 8:40am On Apr 27, 2015
Feraz:
Ok. . .makes sense!

well....first of all there are ethical considerations and the whole program needs to be tightly regulated....the first world is ready and africa will come around with time

the scientific world is certainly ready and extensive work is already ongoing with Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (ICs) and Human Embryos in certain research centers

Here in Africa we are pioneering research work on the use of Human Erythroid Progenitor Stem Cells (EPSCs) and K562 and JK 1 cell lines to bring about amelioration to millions of sufferers with Sickle Cell Disease (SCD)
Re: Scientists Edited The Genomes Of Human Embryos For The First Time by andico34: 9:19am On Apr 27, 2015
typographical error pls IPSCs not ICs smiley
Re: Scientists Edited The Genomes Of Human Embryos For The First Time by Feraz(m): 1:08pm On Apr 27, 2015
andico34:

well....first of all there are ethical considerations and the whole program needs to be tightly regulated....the first world is ready and africa will come around with time

the scientific world is certainly ready and extensive work is already ongoing with Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (ICs) and Human Embryos in certain research centers

Here in Africa we are pioneering research work on the use of Human Erythroid Progenitor Stem Cells (EPSCs) and K562 and JK 1 cell lines to bring about amelioration to millions of sufferers with Sickle Cell Disease (SCD)
Which of the countries here in Africa?
Re: Scientists Edited The Genomes Of Human Embryos For The First Time by andico34: 1:56pm On Apr 27, 2015
Feraz:
Which of the countries here in Africa?

Nigeria...our research group
Re: Scientists Edited The Genomes Of Human Embryos For The First Time by Feraz(m): 3:47pm On Apr 27, 2015
andico34:

Nigeria...our research group
Oh. . .thanks. . .
Re: Scientists Edited The Genomes Of Human Embryos For The First Time by andico34: 11:48am On May 01, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuAxDVBt7kQ. watch this video on gene editing
Re: Scientists Edited The Genomes Of Human Embryos For The First Time by andico34: 7:54pm On May 01, 2015
Re: Scientists Edited The Genomes Of Human Embryos For The First Time by Feraz(m): 8:19pm On Sep 27, 2015
andico34:
and this

http://www.genengnews.com/gen-articles/a-crispr-look-at-genome-editing/5475/
Hello, I think MIT has made another discovery in this and according to them 'it is simpler and more precise.' Here - news.mit.edu/2015/crispr-editing-dna-genome-engineering-0925
Re: Scientists Edited The Genomes Of Human Embryos For The First Time by Feraz(m): 2:03pm On Aug 25, 2016
Blakjewelry:

What are the cons though I know it is still faraway but once we can perfect the process except you wan to let me on what I did not consider before
xdos:

Check this interview by Bill Gates. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2016-06-30/bill-gates-on-biotech-bioengineering-and-pharma

(1) (Reply)

I Killed This Poisonous Thing In My Room By 3am And I Don't Know It's Name(pics) / Smok G-PRIV Kit Vs Smok Alien Kit / Sage 50 Accounting Software Sales And Train In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.