Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,017 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:42 AM

Why Buhari Delays Forming APC Transition Committee - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Buhari Delays Forming APC Transition Committee (1672 Views)

The APC Transition Team Listens As Sambo Tries To Account For The Empty Treasury / List Of Members Of The Presidential Transition Committee / Jonathan’s Transition Committee Begins Sitting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Buhari Delays Forming APC Transition Committee by lazsnaira(m): 11:16am On Apr 24, 2015
President-elect Muhammadu Buhari has been shifting the naming of his transition committee 10 days after the incumbent President Goodlcuk Jonathan declared his tem, which caused emerging of fears.

There are concerns in some quarters that the postponement in creating the committee may upset Buhari’s plan to hit the ground running on assumption of power on May 29.

After Buhari overcame Jonathan in the March 28 presidential poll there are high expectations from the president-elect.

The current administration set up its own transition committee on April 13 lead by Vice President Namadi Sambo.

Anyim Pius Anyim, secretary to the Government of the Federation, said that the commission is loaded with the responsibility of getting briefs from the ministries, departments and agencies (MDAs) as well as preparing President Jonathan’s handover speech.

Anyim said the committee would later meet with a transition committee to be nominated by Buhari on May 29 handover.

But since then former military ruler has not named his committee members driving fears of inside rows within the All Progressives Congress (APC).

It was gathered that Buhari may have assembled his transition committee members and may unveil them latest tomorrow.

The party chieftains have been meeting since last week to decide on the structure of the transition committee and zoning of National Assembly leadership positions.

But the APC appears to be fighting to balance competing interests in sharing leadership positions in the National Assembly as disclosed by multiple sources who spoke to Daily Trust.

The rumours circulated that Buhari would name the transition committee when he returned from Kaduna on Monday.

The source said: “We thought the president-elect would have assembled the people that will serve on his transition committee while he was in Daura and Kaduna. 

“When that didn’t happen, we thought he would announce them on Monday when he returned to Abuja or at least last Wednesday during the party caucus meeting. But he didn’t,” the party chieftain said.

But another source in the APC said Buhari didn’t discuss the committee issue during the caucus meeting partly because of the large number of people that attended.

“The meeting was meant for party top leaders such as the president-elect, his deputy Prof. Yemi Osinabjo, party chairman John Oyegun, party leaders Bisi Akande, Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Atiku Abubakar,” he said.

“But over 60 people found their way into the meeting hall, some of whom were not even invited in the first place.

“So, the president-elect didn’t speak about the committee at all. He made general statement thanking and congratulating party chieftains for the poll victory,” the source said.

In an interview with journalists in Daura two weeks ago, Buhari said technocrats rather than politicians would be appointed on the transition committee.
Party bigwigs said there is nothing bad in Buhari allowing the party a greater say in these appointments, but added that this now causing unnecessary delays.

“Questions must be asked, evidence must be produced, among others. Thus, time is precious. The government needs to start working after May 29. There is no need for any delay,” other source said.

Meanwhile, the Presidential Inauguration Planning Committee was formed yesterday, April 23.

Timipre Silva, the ex-governor of Bayelsa state and the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Senator Anyim Pius Anyim, will co-chair the committee.

http://www.naij.com/427100-why-buhari-delays-forming-apc-transition-committee.html
Re: Why Buhari Delays Forming APC Transition Committee by adegunwa4real(m): 11:17am On Apr 24, 2015
We are waiting and watching
Re: Why Buhari Delays Forming APC Transition Committee by imbless: 11:22am On Apr 24, 2015
Re: Why Buhari Delays Forming APC Transition Committee by lazsnaira(m): 11:33am On Apr 24, 2015
No time to waste, lota promises lota expectations. The situation is under alarm.
Re: Why Buhari Delays Forming APC Transition Committee by jlinkd78(m): 11:56am On Apr 24, 2015
Thank God dat d list headed by Timipriye Silva is not d much expected Transition Committee cos I wud v been disappointed. Now I guess Transition and Inauguration committees have two diff terms of referemce. While Jonathan have his vice Sambo heading d Transition committee D SSG Anyim heads d inauguration committee alongside Timipriye Silva (from GMB). The job of d inaugural committee can be likened to an organising committee of a big upcoming event hence Sylva corruption case might not be much an issue whereas it is d Transition committee dat will comprise serious minded people that will thoroughly peruse d handover notes of diff Ministries, Department and Agencies, ask serious questions and possibly give a direction of d likely people dat will be appointed by d incoming govt to drive governance.

2 Likes

Re: Why Buhari Delays Forming APC Transition Committee by jlinkd78(m): 12:10pm On Apr 24, 2015
Thank God dat d list headed by Timipriye Silva is not d much expected Transition Committee cos I wud v been disappointed. Now I guess Transition and Inauguration committees have two diff terms of referemce. While Jonathan have his vice Sambo heading d Transition committee D SSG Anyim heads d inauguration committee alongside Timipriye Silva (from GMB). The job of d inaugural committee can be likened to an organising committee of a big upcoming event hence Sylva corruption case might not be much an issue but a compensation to keep him relevant politically after losing d chairmanship position to Oyegun whereas it is d Transition committee dat will comprise of serious minded people that will thoroughly peruse d handover notes of diff Ministries, Department and Agencies, ask serious questions and possibly give a direction of d likely people dat will be appointed by d incoming govt to drive governance. But GMB not assembling his Transition committee members 10days after GEJ released his might not be a good sign of things to come cos its either he is a slow poke or he is being very thorough with his final selection. Only time will tell where d pendulum swings.
Re: Why Buhari Delays Forming APC Transition Committee by jlinkd78(m): 12:17pm On Apr 24, 2015
Thank God dat d list headed by Timipriye Silva is not d much expected Transition Committee cos I wud v been disappointed. Now I guess Transition and Inauguration committees have two diff terms of reference. While Jonathan have his vice Sambo heading d Transition committee D SSG Anyim heads d inauguration committe alongside Timipriye Silva (from GMB). The job of d inauguration planning committee can be likened to an organising committee of a big upcoming event hence Sylva corruption case might not be much an issue but a compensation to keep him relevant politically after losing d chairmanship position to Oyegun whereas it is d Transition committee dat will comprise of serious minded people that will thoroughly peruse d handover notes of diff Ministries, Department and Agencies, ask serious questions and possibly give a direction of d likely people dat will be appointed by d incoming govt to drive governance. But GMB not assembling his Transition committee members 10days after GEJ released his might not be a good sign of things to come cos its either he is a slow poke or he is being very thorough with his final selection. Only time will tell where d pendulum swings.
Re: Why Buhari Delays Forming APC Transition Committee by jaybee3(m): 12:20pm On Apr 24, 2015
jlinkd78:
Thank God dat d list headed by Timipriye Silva is not d much expected Transition Committee cos I wud v been disappointed. Now I guess Transition and Inauguration committees have two diff terms of reference. While Jonathan have his vice Sambo heading d Transition committee D SSG Anyim heads d inauguration committe alongside Timipriye Silva (from GMB). The job of d inauguration planning committee can be likened to an organising committee of a big upcoming event hence Sylva corruption case might not be much an issue but a compensation to keep him relevant politically after losing d chairmanship position to Oyegun whereas it is d Transition committee dat will comprise of serious minded people that will thoroughly peruse d handover notes of diff Ministries, Department and Agencies, ask serious questions and possibly give a direction of d likely people dat will be appointed by d incoming govt to drive governance. But GMB not assembling his Transition committee members 10days after GEJ released his might not be a good sign of things to come cos its either he is a slow poke or he is being very thorough with his final selection. Only time will tell where d pendulum swings.

They clearly stated that the committee headed by Timipriye Silva was the Inauguration Committee

I honestly don't know how ya'll got that misconstrued

2 Likes

Re: Why Buhari Delays Forming APC Transition Committee by Dannyset(m): 12:21pm On Apr 24, 2015
So many people worked for his coming into power, so their interest too need not be overlooked. That is why GMB is applying wisdom(as that is one of his many virtues). But at the end of the day, I think its going to be a good one.

1 Like

Re: Why Buhari Delays Forming APC Transition Committee by doctokwus: 12:33pm On Apr 24, 2015
jaybee3:

They clearly stated that the committee headed by Timipriye Silva was the Inauguration Committee

Its people that wanted to misconstrue it:eternal haters and people filled with "bad bellyism",having lost all with d fisherman.
I feel that post maybe d highest Sylva will get,but even if he gets something higher,it doesn't stop Jim from being prosecuted or would GMB interfere on his behalf if sufficient evidence is brought to show embezzlement of public funds.
Let them keep on hating while GMB keeps on confounding them all and strategizing on how to move the nation forward.

1 Like

Re: Why Buhari Delays Forming APC Transition Committee by jlinkd78(m): 1:03pm On Apr 24, 2015
jaybee3:

My dear, almost all d online reports across all portals yesterday used Transition committe or Transition/Inauguration committee or even Joint Transition committee as d name of d committee to be co-chaired by Anyim and Sylva. Very few if any used Inauguration committee, and this is why most Nigerians including myself got worried as per why a man facing corruption charge like Sylva should head d Transition committee dat ll usher in our Mr Incorruptible. I v only tried to clear this confusion and make people understand dat Sylva job is more like dat of a Secondary Sch Social prefect and hence not so much to worry about. Go thru my lines once again and understand I am just in love with GMB as much as u but want to ensure d change we want is positive.
Re: Why Buhari Delays Forming APC Transition Committee by PassingShot(m): 1:09pm On Apr 24, 2015
The reason is simple:
As has been hinted by GMB on many occasions, the transition committee will largely contain people that will hold ministerial positions in his administration. So, one can expect that it will need to take care of many considerations. If the committee was only to serve the purpose of the transition, it would have been concluded since.

In any case, I expect that the list should be out latest by Tuesday or Wednesday next week.
Re: Why Buhari Delays Forming APC Transition Committee by jaybee3(m): 1:09pm On Apr 24, 2015
jlinkd78:
My dear, almost all d online reports across all portals yesterday used Transition committe or Transition/Inauguration committee or even Joint Transition committee as d name of d committee to be co-chaired by Anyim and Sylva. Very few if any used Inauguration committee, and this is why most Nigerians including myself got worried as per why a man facing corruption charge like Sylva should head d Transition committee dat ll usher in our Mr Incorruptible. I v only tried to clear this confusion and make people understand dat Sylva job is more like dat of a Secondary Sch Social prefect and hence not so much to worry about. Go thru my lines once again and understand I am just in love with GMB as much as u but want to ensure d change we want is positive.

here you go => https://www.nairaland.com/2273224/silva-anyim-head-buharis-inauguration#33026162

" To ensure a smooth transition of government on May 29, the former Bayelsa State Governor, Timipre Silva and the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Senator Anyim Pius Anyim, will co-chair the 2015 Presidential Inauguration Planning Committee (PIPC).
At a joint briefing by the co-chairmen in the Banquet Hall of the State House, Abuja, on Thursday, Anyim, said the briefing was to present the programme of the 2015 Presidential inauguration to the public.

He also told State House correspondents that the committee was meeting for the second time.
He said: “There are two parallel transition committee and inauguration committee. Two parallel transition committees work independent of each other but to interface at a point.

“Inauguration committee is structured to be joint committee of the present administration and incoming administration and is chaired by Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Anyim Pius Anyim for the present administration and former governor of Bayelsa State, Timipre Sylva for the incoming administration.” "
Re: Why Buhari Delays Forming APC Transition Committee by lazsnaira(m): 1:13pm On Apr 24, 2015
jlinkd78:

I just want to add that while it is our right to support whomsoever we deemed fit but making the followership of buhari into a cult is rather a dangerous trend that is beginning to make it impossible for anyone to say anything about buhari except praise singing.

It is rather a pathetic situation that must be as a matter of urgency jettison by every reasonable supporter of apc or buhari or both as the case may be.

Take it or leave it buhari and apc will come under the radar and they would sweat like every other ruler and ruling party. They would be subject to criticisms and abuse. So the earlier we all understand that the better.
Re: Why Buhari Delays Forming APC Transition Committee by jlinkd78(m): 1:16pm On Apr 24, 2015
doctokwus:

Its people that wanted to misconstrue it:eternal haters and people filled with "bad bellyism",having lost all with d fisherman.
I feel that post maybe d highest Sylva will get,but even if he gets something higher,it doesn't stop Jim from being prosecuted or would GMB interfere on his behalf if sufficient evidence is brought to show embezzlement of public funds.
Let them keep on hating while GMB keeps on confounding them all and strategizing on how to move the nation forward.
Its clear ppl like u never read my post but only commented from someones comment. Nxt time try read d original contributor's line. Using words like eternal haters and bad belliyism only means u dont understand dat d change we want from GMB must be a positive one with unstained politicians and technocrats and dat we (I and You) must sustain d influx of our valuable contibutions to GMB else these politicians mess him up and derail d process. Remember Soyinka withFRSC and Tai Solarin with Proples bank Am not a politician but want d Nigeria of our collective dream where our online contributions here will help form govt policies or aren't u proud seeing d co-ordinator of bringbackourgirls (who cud v bin any of us) has been nominated into dt committee.
Re: Why Buhari Delays Forming APC Transition Committee by jaybee3(m): 1:18pm On Apr 24, 2015
lazsnaira:

I just want to add that while it is our right to support whomsoever we deemed fit but making the followership of buhari into a cult is rather a dangerous trend that is beginning to make it impossible for anyone to say anything about buhari except praise singing.

It is rather a pathetic situation that must be as a matter of urgency jettison by every reasonable supporter of apc or buhari or both as the case may be.

What exactly do you or others want to criticise him on?

His inactions despite being technically incapable of any action until a formal handover

His promises even though he hasn't failed on any of them
Re: Why Buhari Delays Forming APC Transition Committee by jlinkd78(m): 1:27pm On Apr 24, 2015
lazsnaira:

Take it or leave it buhari and apc will come under the radar and they would sweat like every other ruler and ruling party. They would be subject to criticisms and abuse. So the earlier we all understand that the better.
surely a better response to my post. Since APC is coming on board with d might of d social media, its only right we keep them on dia toes always using same avenue while hoping d Whistle Blower Act will come into effect soon. D problem with some of these APC supporters is dat they want critiscm to stop with apc emmergence while viewing any oda person with a contrary view as bad belly. Tnk u once again for ur very matured response to my line.
Re: Why Buhari Delays Forming APC Transition Committee by lazsnaira(m): 1:28pm On Apr 24, 2015
jaybee3:

What exactly do you or others want to criticise him on?

His inactions despite being technically incapable of any action until a formal handover

His promises even though he hasn't failed on any of them

I have said it all guy. Buhari and apc are on the hot seat already. That's what it takes to be a leader. A situation where blind party or personality followers are quick to term genuine observers as haters simply because they are looking at issues and analyzing them not minding who it favours and who it disfavours, is already sickening.

Buhari might not have taken over but you and I know that he is the most popular nigerian for now. And the man whom the fate of 170million of us has been bestowed on. And so our minds body & soul are all focused on everything he does. And I mean everything. The good old saying insisted that 'uneasy lies the head that wears the crown'
Re: Why Buhari Delays Forming APC Transition Committee by jaybee3(m): 1:35pm On Apr 24, 2015
jlinkd78:
surely a better response to my post. Since APC is coming on board with d might of d social media, its only right we keep them on dia toes always using same avenue while hoping d Whistle Blower Act will come into effect soon. D problem with some of these APC supporters is dat they want critiscm to stop with apc emmergence while viewing any oda person with a contrary view as bad belly. Tnk u once again for ur very matured response to my line.

Please explain how exactly they are coming on board with the might of social media?

Y'all can start criticising buhari from May the 29th

Buhari himself knows the biggest critics will be from his own party.

He is under no illusion that he must deliver period!
Re: Why Buhari Delays Forming APC Transition Committee by jlinkd78(m): 1:38pm On Apr 24, 2015
jaybee3:

here you go => https://www.nairaland.com/2273224/silva-anyim-head-buharis-inauguration#33026162

" To ensure a smooth transition of government on May 29, the former Bayelsa State Governor, Timipre Silva and the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Senator Anyim Pius Anyim, will co-chair the 2015 Presidential Inauguration Planning Committee (PIPC).
At a joint briefing by the co-chairmen in the Banquet Hall of the State House, Abuja, on Thursday, Anyim, said the briefing was to present the programme of the 2015 Presidential inauguration to the public.

He also told State House correspondents that the committee was meeting for the second time.
He said: “There are two parallel transition committee and inauguration committee. Two parallel transition committees work independent of each other but to interface at a point.

“Inauguration committee is structured to be joint committee of the present administration and incoming administration and is chaired by Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Anyim Pius Anyim for the present administration and former governor of Bayelsa State, Timipre Sylva for the incoming administration.” "
U only quoted lalasticlala which is not an online media outlet. Google news outfits like naijalately.com, naijatell.com even sunnewsonline and see its about Transition committee.
Re: Why Buhari Delays Forming APC Transition Committee by jlinkd78(m): 1:53pm On Apr 24, 2015
jaybee3:

Please explain how exactly they are coming on board with the might of social media?

Y'all can start criticising buhari from May the 29th

Buhari himself knows the biggest critics will be from his own party.

He is under no illusion that he must deliver period!
D message of 'change' dat d apc preached to us reverbrated across d world with d social media outfit (nairaland forum inclusive) and as such we all yearned for change and hence why GMB won all d online polls even d ones conducted by pro-Jonathan guys. Dats d strenght of social media and its only good we sustain it to ensure all our leaders are on track knowing fully well dat d big brother (social/online media)is watching you. Hope am cleare

1 Like

Re: Why Buhari Delays Forming APC Transition Committee by jaybee3(m): 1:54pm On Apr 24, 2015
jlinkd78:
U only quoted lalasticlala which is not an online media outlet. Google news outfits like naijalately.com, naijatell.com even sunnewsonline and see its about Transition committee.
What's with the pettiness bro?

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/may-29-silva-anyim-head-presidential-inauguration-committee/
Re: Why Buhari Delays Forming APC Transition Committee by lazsnaira(m): 1:57pm On Apr 24, 2015
jlinkd78:
D message of 'change' dat d apc preached to us reverbrated across d world with d social media outfit (nairaland forum inclusive) and as such we all yearned for change and hence why GMB won all d online polls even d ones conducted by pro-Jonathan guys. Dats d strenght of social media and its only good we sustain it to ensure all our leaders are on track knowing fully well dat d big brother (social/online media)is watching you. Hope am cleare

Exactly
Re: Why Buhari Delays Forming APC Transition Committee by jlinkd78(m): 2:02pm On Apr 24, 2015
jaybee3:

What's with the pettiness bro?

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/may-29-silva-anyim-head-presidential-inauguration-committee/
I told all in d above info @ jlinkd78 1.03pm 'as at yesterday' when d news came out. The nation paper u quoted and all other traditional newspapers are todays news after clarification. I only contributed my piece to further pass the correct info.
Re: Why Buhari Delays Forming APC Transition Committee by jlinkd78(m): 2:39pm On Apr 24, 2015
lazsnaira:

I have said it all guy. Buhari and apc are on the hot seat already. That's what it takes to be a leader. A situation where blind party or personality followers are quick to term genuine observers as haters simply because they are looking at issues and analyzing them not minding who it favours and who it disfavours, is already sickening.

Buhari might not have taken over but you and I know that he is the most popular nigerian for now. And the man whom the fate of 170million of us has been bestowed on. And so our minds body & soul are all focused on everything he does. And I mean everything. The good old saying insisted that 'uneasy lies the head that wears the crown'
on point

(1) (Reply)

What APC Failed To Tell Us Today!! / Fun Time Guys: Can You See The Naked People Hidden In These Pictures? / Can This Be The State Of Douglas Road, Owerri - Rochas Please Do Something

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.