Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,935 members, 7,828,279 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:46 AM

7 Tips For Selecting Your Domain Name - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / 7 Tips For Selecting Your Domain Name (12363 Views)

Broker Your Domain To Endusers / 5 Best Reasons Why You Should Change Your Domain Name Right Now! / Let Us Help You Change Your Domain Blogsport Domain To .com .net Domain (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Tips For Selecting Your Domain Name by psure: 6:39pm On Apr 26, 2015
Abduletudaye:
Nice write up...FTC... Hehehe.. Feels so good.. grin cheesy... I need a job tho... cry
No, Abdul... I think you need a life.
e-diot angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 7 Tips For Selecting Your Domain Name by Xtracoool(m): 7:27pm On Apr 26, 2015
Oklander:
Good… Seriously planning to go into this business grin

Which business
Re: 7 Tips For Selecting Your Domain Name by Abduletudaye(m): 7:39pm On Apr 26, 2015
psure:

No, Abdul... I think you need a life.
e-diot angry

Dammit... Youre wicked... cry
Re: 7 Tips For Selecting Your Domain Name by jaylister(m): 7:53pm On Apr 26, 2015
www.aprokoblog.com hope not too bad
Re: 7 Tips For Selecting Your Domain Name by kari4chat: 8:03pm On Apr 26, 2015
[s][/s]Thanks for d Info but sincerely everyone seems to know this tips.

Am sori Sir,i didnt know it till the O[color=#000099][/color] undecidedP mentioned them, speak for yourself
Re: 7 Tips For Selecting Your Domain Name by Ormorlehwah(f): 8:05pm On Apr 26, 2015
irunoobo:
[size=18pt]KILONJE DOMAIN NAME[/size]
Kintu alagbo jedi, olomi gaariiiiiiiiiiiii
Re: 7 Tips For Selecting Your Domain Name by Nobody: 9:48pm On Apr 26, 2015
Ormorlehwah:
Kintu alagbo jedi, olomi gaariiiiiiiiiiiii

ori e tiyi. abunu oshi
Re: 7 Tips For Selecting Your Domain Name by Nobody: 10:51pm On Apr 26, 2015
Yea
Re: 7 Tips For Selecting Your Domain Name by Nobody: 11:02pm On Apr 26, 2015
Exact-match domain names are no longer the criteria to rank high on google SERP. The fundamentals are: original and fresh content, high quality backlinks and on-page SEO. There's a new trick I use in sending my articles to google first Or second page, depending on the competion. In a nutshell, since the .COM crash domain speculation is no longer profitable.

1 Like

Re: 7 Tips For Selecting Your Domain Name by SpringWebHost: 11:19pm On Apr 26, 2015
The one benefit that stands out for you to have a Country Code Top-Level Domain, generally referred to as ccTLD is that it sends a "strong signal" that your website is intended for a specific country and it tends to have better search-engine rankings in that specific country.

So your City.NG will be better ranked for visitors from Nigeria than City.com if the two websites have the same targeted keyword-rich content even though City.com is older than City.NG in the domain registry. You will have an improved local search opportunities.

Ibadan.City.NG is cool. I think City.NG, needs a facelift. You are a great guy but you may doing too many personal websites at a time especially if you are working alone. Try and come up with an authority website.

CityNG:

I know most are put off by the highway robbery price of .NG but if you're a serious Nigerian company then a .NG is a primary domain extension for you to have. It grinds and easily identifies your business as Nigerian serious. IMHO.

Take [url]City.NG[/url] for example wink , astute travelers will immidiately know that it has to do with Nigerian cities, yes?
Re: 7 Tips For Selecting Your Domain Name by Nobody: 12:09am On Apr 27, 2015
SpringWebHost:
The one benefit that stands out for you to have a Country Code Top-Level Domain, generally referred to as ccTLD is that it sends a "strong signal" that your website is intended for a specific country and it tends to have better search-engine rankings in that specific country.

So your City.NG will be better ranked for visitors from Nigeria than City.com if the two websites have the same targeted keyword-rich content even though City.com is older than City.NG in the domain registry. You will have an improved local search opportunities.

Ibadan.City.NG is cool. I think City.NG, needs a facelift. You are a great guy but you may doing too many personal websites at a time especially if you are working alone. Try and come up with an authority website.

Thank you for all the astute observation and suggestions. City.NG and her subsidiary sites are directly targeted at Nigerians only.

I like growing in a scalable and maintainable condition and I like where I am right now. Many sites grow too fast and have disappeared because they did not scale their growth.

There will be massive updates later when my customer base have graduated from cellphone browsing (which I personally dislike) to using desktop and laptops primarily and on a large scale. Most of my time is spent on Ibadan.City.NG, Kuluso.Com and eLanceNG.Com

Thanks.
Re: 7 Tips For Selecting Your Domain Name by Nobody: 12:12am On Apr 27, 2015
justbusy:
Exact-match domain names are no longer the criteria to rank high on google SERP. The fundamentals are: original and fresh content, high quality backlinks and on-page SEO. There's a new trick I use in sending my articles to google first Or second page, depending on the competion. In a nutshell, since the .COM crash domain speculation is no longer profitable.

Exactly and it also depends on what the companies motives are for having a website.

Mine is not to attract customers by domain name search solely, but to supplement regular advertisement and be a household name.

For example I intend to have an advertising program where I will pay commercial buses for placing banner ads on their vehicles which directs people to my sites. So i"m not waiting for Google to find me customers based on domain names.
Re: 7 Tips For Selecting Your Domain Name by Nobody: 12:33am On Apr 27, 2015
Re: 7 Tips For Selecting Your Domain Name by SpringWebHost: 12:51am On Apr 27, 2015
Unfortunately, that's where we are headed ie cellphone(mobile) viewing and it's even getting more complicated since mobile devices and data subscriptions are becoming affordable. You must optimize your website for mobile viewing to have an edge.

I really loved the former design I had for one of my websites http://JoomlaExtended.com but the conversion rate was very poor. I just started working on a lighter version for the home page and the results are already amazing.

I think you should think along this line, be fully optimized for mobile viewing.

CityNG:

There will be massive updates later when my customer base have graduated from cellphone browsing (which I personally dislike) to using desktop and laptops primarily and on a large scale. Most of my time is spent on Ibadan.City.NG, Kuluso.Com and eLanceNG.Com

Thanks.
Re: 7 Tips For Selecting Your Domain Name by Nobody: 12:56am On Apr 27, 2015
CityNG:

Exactly and it also depends on what the companies motives are for having a website.

Mine is not to attract customers by domain name search solely, but to supplement regular advertisement and be a household name.

For example I intend to have an advertising program where I will pay commercial buses for placing banner ads on their vehicles which directs people to my sites. So i"m not waiting for Google to find me customers based on domain names.
good concept, bro. Ideas like this end up giving birth to bluechip companies. I intend venturing into insurance. GoOd luck!

1 Like

Re: 7 Tips For Selecting Your Domain Name by Nobody: 1:25am On Apr 27, 2015
SpringWebHost:
Unfortunately, that's where we are headed ie cellphone(mobile) viewing and it's even getting more complicated since mobile devices and data subscriptions are becoming affordable. You must optimize your website for mobile viewing to have an edge.

I really loved the former design I had for one of my websites http://JoomlaExtended.com but the conversion rate was very poor. I just started working on a lighter version for the home page and the results are already amazing.

I think you should think along this line, be fully optimized for mobile viewing.

I agree and you're right and this is why ALL my sites will render for mobile viewing currently. But you're right I should do more work on making them even much more mobile friendly. I'll be working more on that on CupidNG.Com starting next month.

My biggest issue is bandwidth and speed of loading on cellphones. I use Cloudflare but I think I need a dedicated server not cohost.
Re: 7 Tips For Selecting Your Domain Name by SpringWebHost: 2:08am On Apr 27, 2015
One way you can quickly optimize a page is by removing images, videos from your pages. You can use http://TinyPNG.com to compress your images if you need to include them but please let them be few especially on your homepage. On videos, you can host them externally, let them be very short clips.

Regarding hosting, if you want to step up, I think you should consider Virtual Private Server (VPS) or Semi-Dedicated Server and when the website starts making consistent good money, you can then move to a Dedicated Server. Dedicated server takes a whole lot of money and technical know-how to maintain if you get a good one.

CityNG:

I agree and you're right and this is why ALL my sites will render for mobile viewing currently. But you're right I should do more work on making them even much more mobile friendly. I'll be working more on that on CupidNG.Com starting next month.

My biggest issue is bandwidth and speed of loading on cellphones. I use Cloudflare but I think I need a dedicated server not cohost.
Re: 7 Tips For Selecting Your Domain Name by Nobody: 3:03am On Apr 27, 2015
SpringWebHost:
One way you can quickly optimize a page is by removing images, videos from your pages. You can use http://TinyPNG.com to compress your images if you need to include them but please let them be few especially on your homepage. On videos, you can host them externally, let them be very short clips.

Regarding hosting, if you want to step up, I think you should consider Virtual Private Server (VPS) or Semi-Dedicated Server and when the website starts making consistent good money, you can then move to a Dedicated Server. Dedicated server takes a whole lot of money and technical know-how to maintain if you get a good one.

Thank you very much.

1 Like

Re: 7 Tips For Selecting Your Domain Name by jaylister(m): 4:57am On Apr 27, 2015
The free 10mb cheat for airtel has been posted at http://www.aprokoblog.com/2015/04/how-to-get-free-10mb-on-your-airtel-sim.html?m=1
did u get the 15 naira for unlimimted download on etisalat yesterda? Search www.aprokoblog.com
Re: 7 Tips For Selecting Your Domain Name by erumena(m): 5:58am On Apr 27, 2015
akinboyepelumi9:
Thanks for d Info but sincerely everyone seems to know this tips.

Not everyone bro!
Re: 7 Tips For Selecting Your Domain Name by Ormorlehwah(f): 6:20am On Apr 27, 2015
irunoobo:

ori e tiyi. abunu oshi
What is the best answer for a fool like You? Silence!!!
Re: 7 Tips For Selecting Your Domain Name by fnep2smooth(m): 10:42am On Apr 27, 2015
SpringWebHost:
Thinking up a great domain name is easy. Of course, with the nearly 275 million existing domain names, finding one that hasn’t already been taken … well, that’s a lot harder. But good domain names are still out there. It just takes a little time and effort to find the right one.

In this first half of a two part article on finding your domain name, we’ll cover eight basic tips for selecting your perfect (or reasonably close to perfect) domain name.

Stick With .com
Whenever possible, choose a .com extension. There’s nothing wrong with a .net, .org, or other top level domain. However, there’s a lot more right with a .com extension. When someone hears your domain name, if they forget the extension, they’re automatically going to try adding .com to the name when they get home. Take advantage of that tendency.

Make it Easy to Type

If your business name is hard to spell, you might try an easier to spell version of the name. For example, if Jayne Mansfield had a website, she might want to go with JaneMansfield.com instead of or, better yet, in addition to JayneMansfield.com. For your website, consider registering all alternate spellings of your domain name.

Make it Easy to Remember
[Nike Domain Name Just Do It] As W.C. Fields said, “It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.” Or how you’re known. A well known slogan or catch phrase might make a better domain name (or, again, an additional domain name) for your business. Even though they have plenty of brand name recognition, Nike registered JustDoIt.com in addition to their regular Nike.com domain name. Actor Michael J. Fox might be known as Mike to family and friends, but to the world he’s Michael J. Fox and, therefore, his domain is MichaelJFox.com.

Shorter is Better

As of 2013, all of the four letter domain names were gone. The three letter domains were taken over a decade before. But that’s no reason to use the full sixty-three characters available in your domain name. Stick to fewer than four words and under twenty characters if at all possible.

Check for Appropriateness
Read, re-read, and have friends read your website to make sure no hidden messages exist in the name. Imagine your surprise if your domain for exchanging information with experts, www.ExpertsExcchange.com, turned out to also promote very knowledgeable gender transformations: www.ExpertSexChange.com.

Don’t Use Texting Slang
While texting slang can definitely keep your domain name short - following the tip above - it makes for a confusing mess that’s hard to remember for most people.

Build Your Brand
The most important tip is to keep your brand in mind and continue to build it. With every advertisement someone reads, every web search someone performs, and every email you send, you’re building your brand with a custom domain name.

The Quick Takeaway
Finding a great domain name can be challenging but it can also be rewarding and a lot of fun. Follow these tips and you’ll be well on your way to your own great domain.

Drop your comments below:

We love to hear from you, we are willing to answer any of your questions.
Bro pls I need your help about this domain business. Am so much interested but I have a lot of question to ask... Can we chat on Whatsapp or bbm pls?
Re: 7 Tips For Selecting Your Domain Name by SpringWebHost: 12:41pm On Apr 27, 2015
Yes we can. My contact is in signature below.

fnep2smooth:

Bro pls I need your help about this domain business. Am so much interested but I have a lot of question to ask... Can we chat on Whatsapp or bbm pls?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Wordpress Themes And Plugins For Just 400naira. Premium themes. / Help! How Do I Start A Simple Machine Forum? / Free Fiverr Marketing Training -Make Money Online Without Investment Or Website!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.