Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,508 members, 7,816,230 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:03 AM

5 Best Reasons Why You Should Change Your Domain Name Right Now! - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / 5 Best Reasons Why You Should Change Your Domain Name Right Now! (6114 Views)

Best Reasons Why You Should Start A Blog Now / All These Guys Selling Groups Filled With Bot Followers Should Change / 5 Important Reasons Why You Should Change Your Website Domain Name Right Now! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Best Reasons Why You Should Change Your Domain Name Right Now! by Nobody: 9:15am On Jan 22, 2017
For those who might not know, a domain name is the URL in which a website can be accessed with. For example; this forum you currently are, can be accessed via www.Nairaland.com

Now Reading the title of this post, You must have been wondering that what reasons COULD make one think of changing his/her domain name? be a new domain or an old one.
Well, below listed are some of the reasons.

1. Complicated Name - If you tell someone on phone to visit "Nairaland.com", there are high chances that the person wouldn't make mistake when typing the URL. This is not only because Nairaland is a popular forum but because the NAME is easier to pronounce and write down.
Taking another case of a site "gaeskytuzcw.com" - Apart from the fact that it will be hard to pronounce this URL, the receiver also would find it hard to get the right spelling easily.

2. Too Long of a domain name - Why would someone be interested in a site that took 5 minutes JUST to type the URL? I mean a site like www.beinspiredandgethealthwithwealthtogether.com would definitely be a pain in the neck of visitors .
Try making your domain name as simple, as short and as precise as possible .

http://www.netsocialblog.com/2016/10/5-reasons-to-change-your-domain-name-now.html

3. So Familiar with an Existing Domain Name - You wanted to register a domain name and you're thinking of something like "Nairalandi.com" or "Facebooku.com", my brother/sister THINK TWICE!
Having a domain name very related to an existing domain can confused the people you share the url with.

4. Using Personal Name vs Unpredicted Future - Just because you see lindaikeji have a site as her name doesn't imply you too should. If you wanted to do so, thou should do it for a solid reason and not cos of Linda.
Also ask yourself that can you cover the cost of your personal domain name for a VERY long time as no-one would be willing to buy it in case you wish to sell in the future.

5. Domain Not Related To The Site's Content - You have a domain name as "allroundsports.com" and when people check your site, your content is all about Agriculture.
You think you are doing me, You are doing yourself
Apart from being a turn off for readers, it is also bad for your site's SEO

There you have it, the 5 reasons why you should change your domain name!

Original Source: http://www.netsocialblog.com/2016/10/5-reasons-to-change-your-domain-name-now.html

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Best Reasons Why You Should Change Your Domain Name Right Now! by gidimasters(m): 12:44pm On Jan 22, 2017
Confirm... Thumbs up

1 Like

Re: 5 Best Reasons Why You Should Change Your Domain Name Right Now! by SunFlow(m): 1:05pm On Jan 22, 2017
Good job. This was the sole reason I abandoned my first domain.

CC Slyr0x

1 Like

Re: 5 Best Reasons Why You Should Change Your Domain Name Right Now! by Nobody: 9:14pm On Jan 22, 2017
gidimasters:
Confirm... Thumbs up
Thanks bro
Re: 5 Best Reasons Why You Should Change Your Domain Name Right Now! by Nobody: 9:15pm On Jan 22, 2017
SunFlow:
Good job. This was the sole reason I abandoned my first domain.

CC Slyr0x
Which part of the reason bro?
I changed mine cos of personal names
Re: 5 Best Reasons Why You Should Change Your Domain Name Right Now! by Nobody: 9:20pm On Jan 22, 2017
Here is also a screenshot of it

2 Likes

Re: 5 Best Reasons Why You Should Change Your Domain Name Right Now! by SunFlow(m): 10:25pm On Jan 22, 2017
Tuham:

Which part of the reason bro?
I changed mine cos of personal names

contents and domain was like islam and Christianity grin grin

1 Like

Re: 5 Best Reasons Why You Should Change Your Domain Name Right Now! by Nobody: 7:03am On Jan 23, 2017
Op the 6th reason is please advice all this useless bloggers posting trash to go for deliverance angry
Re: 5 Best Reasons Why You Should Change Your Domain Name Right Now! by InfoMl(m): 7:04am On Jan 23, 2017
Really
Re: 5 Best Reasons Why You Should Change Your Domain Name Right Now! by maximum007(m): 7:07am On Jan 23, 2017
Domain names should be easy to remember.
Re: 5 Best Reasons Why You Should Change Your Domain Name Right Now! by Benjom(m): 7:08am On Jan 23, 2017
Lol... @ point 3 and 5

OP, you funny die

Mine is www..com You can't miss that for anything especially when you're searching for good CV Samples you can use in reconstructing yours.
Re: 5 Best Reasons Why You Should Change Your Domain Name Right Now! by Nobody: 7:10am On Jan 23, 2017
Before i choose a domain name for my blog .. i needed a domain that was standard.
Right now i have upto 200 domain names on my personal book trying to come up with a standard domain.
Thank God i came up with one.

This should be the number one step upcoming bloggers should look upto.

@Op thanks for refreshing the mind of those that use sites like Kukumenach .. it dosnt worth it.

Thanks once again!

1 Like

Re: 5 Best Reasons Why You Should Change Your Domain Name Right Now! by Bigajeff(m): 7:10am On Jan 23, 2017
correct guy
Re: 5 Best Reasons Why You Should Change Your Domain Name Right Now! by Chipappii(m): 7:19am On Jan 23, 2017
Re: 5 Best Reasons Why You Should Change Your Domain Name Right Now! by ITbomb(m): 7:22am On Jan 23, 2017
That is why I choose www.iCTunit.com
Re: 5 Best Reasons Why You Should Change Your Domain Name Right Now! by Doubleoo(m): 7:27am On Jan 23, 2017
Nice write-up. I would add using hyphenation and digits in your domain name can also be one of the valid reasons why you need to change your domain name.
As regards personal name, there could be an exception if the name is also the business name because you wouldn't want just anyone to hijack it from you.
Re: 5 Best Reasons Why You Should Change Your Domain Name Right Now! by Nobody: 7:30am On Jan 23, 2017
SunFlow:

contents and domain was like islam and Christianity grin grin

Hahaha! wink Nice move bro..
Re: 5 Best Reasons Why You Should Change Your Domain Name Right Now! by Nobody: 7:35am On Jan 23, 2017
Stelvin101:
Op the 6th reason is please advice all this useless bloggers posting trash to go for deliverance angry

Lolsmiley
Bro, this is simply changing of domain name not content.
But may i know which kind of trash sir?
Re: 5 Best Reasons Why You Should Change Your Domain Name Right Now! by Nobody: 7:41am On Jan 23, 2017
maximum007:
Domain names should be easy to remember.

Absolutely bro...
I've seen the case where someone uses his full name as domain name! I mean FULL NAME (first name, last name, middle name and other name) thus making it complicated
Re: 5 Best Reasons Why You Should Change Your Domain Name Right Now! by Nobody: 7:44am On Jan 23, 2017
Benjom:
Lol... @ point 3 and 5
OP, you funny die
Thanks bro.. Funny and the truthwink
Re: 5 Best Reasons Why You Should Change Your Domain Name Right Now! by bibijay123(f): 7:46am On Jan 23, 2017
Thank you op. This is really helpful.

1 Like

Re: 5 Best Reasons Why You Should Change Your Domain Name Right Now! by Nobody: 7:49am On Jan 23, 2017
lady2lady:
Before i choose a domain name for my blog .. i needed a domain that was standard.
Right now i have upto 200 domain names on my personal book trying to come up with a standard domain.
Thank God i came up with one.

This should be the number one step upcoming bloggers should look upto.

@Op thanks for refreshing the mind of those that use sites like Kukumenach .. it dosnt worth it.

Thanks once again!

When i wanted to move my personal domain name to another domain too, it took me lots of time..
It was then i realized Brainstorming a domain name can be harder sometimes than coming up with a post ideasmiley

You're welcome and seems you are hiding your blog url? Why nah
Re: 5 Best Reasons Why You Should Change Your Domain Name Right Now! by Nobody: 7:52am On Jan 23, 2017
Bigajeff:
correct guy
kiss
Bigajeff:
correct guy
Re: 5 Best Reasons Why You Should Change Your Domain Name Right Now! by Nobody: 7:56am On Jan 23, 2017
Chipappii:
How about www.talesbychipappii..com?

No no bro..
Your Domain Name follows No #1 in the list
Re: 5 Best Reasons Why You Should Change Your Domain Name Right Now! by Nobody: 8:04am On Jan 23, 2017
Doubleoo:
Nice write-up. I would add using [b]hyphenation and digits[/b]in your domain name can also be one of the valid reasons why you need to change your domain name.
Thanks for the adding to the list! You're quite right about this.
For those who might not know; hyphenation is something like www.nairalandi_-you.com while digits is like www.nairalandi2015.com

As regards personal name, there could be an exception if the name is also the business name because you wouldn't want just anyone to hijack it from you.
Yes, Business or brand name is exceptional and thats why i mentioned unpredictable future. For those that feel they can't manage their site for as long as forever, they shouldn't go for a personal domain name

1 Like

Re: 5 Best Reasons Why You Should Change Your Domain Name Right Now! by Revolva(m): 8:43am On Jan 23, 2017
check my blogs below
Re: 5 Best Reasons Why You Should Change Your Domain Name Right Now! by Tonydeeb(m): 8:51am On Jan 23, 2017
Chipappii:
How about www.talesbychipappii..com?

that url is too twisted, if perhaps the moniker was more easy to the ear, it would have worked, but first, a prospect of your site have to battle to remember "Chip"? Chipap? Chipapi?... Even if he/she gets it right, getting the spellings would be difficult.(where would the double 'I' and 'P' stand?) etc.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Best Reasons Why You Should Change Your Domain Name Right Now! by ideaz: 9:32am On Jan 23, 2017
Good one.
Re: 5 Best Reasons Why You Should Change Your Domain Name Right Now! by techrom(m): 10:04am On Jan 23, 2017
Now take for example my domain name is http://techrom.xobor.com and later in the day I wanna change it to techrom.com but I've found it used techrom.org used techrom.net used and still four other domain how do I manage that.
Re: 5 Best Reasons Why You Should Change Your Domain Name Right Now! by gprincead(m): 10:04am On Jan 23, 2017
Cool. Very true.
Checkout my blog name.

www.comparejournals.com.ng

Hope its cool
Re: 5 Best Reasons Why You Should Change Your Domain Name Right Now! by Nobody: 10:32am On Jan 23, 2017
techrom:
Now take for example my domain name is http://techrom.xobor.com and later in the day I wanna change it to techrom.com but I've found it used techrom.org used techrom.net used and still four other domain how do I manage that.

In the first place, you ought to have made research as to whether the custom domain of techrom is available before registering the free extension
In this case, you can brainstorm another domain idea that looks cool.

For instance, lindaikeji.blospot.com turns to lindaikejisblog.com when she found out that lindaikeji.com has been hijacked by someone else
Re: 5 Best Reasons Why You Should Change Your Domain Name Right Now! by LekkiHost: 10:32am On Jan 23, 2017
nice write up OP

visit www.lekkihost.com for cheap and affordable hosting plans with free domain

(1) (2) (Reply)

Top 11 Free PHP Hosting Site To Create And Host Your Free Wapsites / SEO Tips Bloggers Can Use To Improve Their Ranking / How Do I Delete An Old Post On Nairaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.