Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,455 members, 7,819,666 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:19 PM

What Makes A Good Blog - 5 Things You Should Know - Webmasters (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / What Makes A Good Blog - 5 Things You Should Know (10650 Views)

Starting A Blog, 5 Questions You Need To Ask Yourself. / Rate This Blog /5 / Please I Need A Good Blog Designer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Makes A Good Blog - 5 Things You Should Know by ifyan(m): 9:07pm On Apr 24, 2015
ultrazone:
5 Tips On What Makes A Good Blog

Presently, the number of blogs on the world wide web runs into millions and tens of thousands are being created to join these existing blogs daily. A lot of people create blogs with the hope of growing it into success and making money from it. The truth is blogging is not for everyone. It is not a must for you to go into blogging if you don't know what it takes to succeed in it. Believe, the competition is real. It has smoked out lots of new bloggers who cannot get enough traffic to make their blogs popular.

In this post, I will be sharing with you five things you need to be careful about if you really want to make a good blog that people will find useful.

Irrespective of your niche, the truth is you are not yet a successful blogger until you achieve the purpose for which that blog was created. From previous experiences, there are certain factors and steps you should look into if you want to make a good blog that lots of people benefit from.
bloggers blogging blog

Are you planning to create a blog soon? Do you manage a blog currently? Here are some basic tips on how to make a good blog.

1. Inspiring Blog Design
Your blog layout and colour combinations are the first things visitors notice when they land on your blog. And you as it is often said, 'the first impression matters'. You shouldn't drive away visitors that you have laboured to acquired through a shabby blog template or shouting colours. When customizing your blog design, remember it's about the visitors not you. If you don't have what it takes to edit your blog design, go online and search for beautifully styled blog themes which can be paid or hire a professional designer. You should try to avoid designs that would hamper your site SEO.

2. The Right Niche
It is good to have width but better to have depth. Over the years, blogger have realised that blogs with a defined theme and focus often do better than the general 'all purpose' ones. This is because Google gives more credibilty to them because they appear as authority blogs in their chosen niches.
However, not all niches are profitable. You should try to blend your passion with profitability while searching for a topic of discussion for your blog. Picking a topic you have scanty knowledge about many result in frustration that make many new bloggers quit as early as they start.

3. Regular Quality Content

The quality of the articles on your blog is its true value. Content and design are the main criteria used in judging whether a blog is good or bad. You should take your time to come up with useful articles so that visitors will find it necessary to subscribe to your future updates. Copying and publishing articles that people can get elsewhere won't take your blog anywhere. Aside quality, you should endeavour to publish regularly. If you can keep up rolling out quality posts regularly, your blog would soon hit the limelight.

4. Build Readers' Loyalty

To make your blog successful your writing style should connect with the audience. To achieve this, make sure your posts is directed at solving visitors problems. Study how established bloggers with lots of comments on their blog write. The way you conclude your posts should encourage readers to drop comments too. Creating a relationship with your audience is the surest way to build fans' loyalty so that can find it interesting to return to your blog over and over again. Set up social media profiles for your blog on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, LinkedIn and Google+. This has an additional benefit of increasing blog traffic.

5. Stand Out
Dare to be different. To stand out from the millions of blogs out there, there should something unique about your blog. Most successful blogs are known for one thing or the other. For some, it may be the blog design, while others may stand out with their content. You should think up ways to make your blog different. Ask yourself, what will people say is specific to my blog?

Success in blogging takes time, months and even years. The main point is to enjoy what you do so that you don't get easily frustrated out.

If you want to make your blog stand out from the crowd and get that traffic you have always desired, ensure you have all these points in place.

I wish you success in your blogging career!

http://www.practicalbusinessideas.com/2015/04/what-makes-good-blog-5-things-you-must.html

Check my blog bro.

You can comment on it and please can you explain SEO in a lay man term.

Thanks for the inspiration.

You know. .......
Re: What Makes A Good Blog - 5 Things You Should Know by njuwo(m): 10:00pm On Apr 24, 2015
adetona99:

No i don't use it because am yet to have a custom domain. Currently am making my money through consultation, freelance and web design
That is good, inshort, it is gooder.

1 Like

Re: What Makes A Good Blog - 5 Things You Should Know by Nobody: 10:14pm On Apr 24, 2015
ifyan:

Sir check my signature to confirm how good\bad l am.

I need some guidelines on how to improve my skills.

Though I am not a good writer.

You know. .....

All what i can say about your blog is that it's good and have the potential to hit if you can keep it up.

I would like to connect with bloggers like you. Add me on fb www.fb.com/adetona.abiodun.35
Re: What Makes A Good Blog - 5 Things You Should Know by Merlissa(f): 10:19pm On Apr 24, 2015
midasbliss:

Kai! Aunty Mi, The Url Is Too Long, Plus .com Is Better dan ... u cnt monetize

I'd change it.. it's the way I opened it
Re: What Makes A Good Blog - 5 Things You Should Know by Nobody: 10:41pm On Apr 24, 2015
ContentPremise:
Yes can still get the Joomla training, you can follow the tutorial here on Nairaland: https://www.nairaland.com/1485054/joomla-free-training-nairaland-live or grab my eBook at http://JoomlaExtended.com/j3book for just 1k.

Funny enough, at the end of reading the ebook, you would've been able to build a blogging website, see the image below. The ebook was tailored towards building a blog and of cause, you can make other stunning websites from reading the ebook.

Nairaland is a forum and that's different from a blogging site. What exactly do you want? I can then advice you appropriately on what to do.

Thank you.

I want a forum. I want others to b able to create topics too.. Just a user friendly fora
Re: What Makes A Good Blog - 5 Things You Should Know by ContentPremise: 12:05am On Apr 25, 2015
I used various applications to scan your website, there are no serious issues. Was able to find one major broken link http://pacespot..com/2014/11/ninety-one-goals-in-year-73-in-season.html.

Just keep every other thing clean and you'll up your SEO.

I offer website development at http://JoomlaExtended.com and hosting at http://SpringWebHost.com. You can always reach me for further clarifications.

Akinsnaira:

pacespot DOT DOT com

I plan to insert my purchased domain name soon
Re: What Makes A Good Blog - 5 Things You Should Know by Akinsnaira: 1:15am On Apr 25, 2015
ContentPremise:
I used various applications to scan your website, there are no serious issues. Was able to find one major broken link http://pacespot..com/2014/11/ninety-one-goals-in-year-73-in-season.html.

Just keep every other thing clean and you'll up your SEO.

I offer website development at http://JoomlaExtended.com and hosting at http://SpringWebHost.com. You can always reach me for further clarifications.

Thanks so much, really appreciate your efforts. That link you just posted was one of the contents I deleted few days ago. I know my SEO is doing well to some extent, coz when I applied for AdSense recently with the blog I got accepted immediately.

Nice to know you're into Joomla too, I got some skills in the stuff that I learnt through Nairaland recently. I have just checked on your website, really nice one, did you build that with Joomla?
Re: What Makes A Good Blog - 5 Things You Should Know by ContentPremise: 1:51am On Apr 25, 2015
Yeah I did it with Joomla. If you are referring to the Joomla tutorial (https://www.nairaland.com/1485054/joomla-free-training-nairaland-live) on the main page of the webmaster's page, I was the one that took it.

This account is for a new business I'm setting up at [url]htpp://ContentPremise.com[/url]. It's mainly for content marketing. Just got started a few days ago though.

Akinsnaira:

Thanks so much, really appreciate your efforts. That link you just posted was one of the contents I deleted few days ago. I know my SEO is doing well to some extent, coz when I applied for AdSense recently with the blog I got accepted immediately.

Nice to know you're into Joomla too, I got some skills in the stuff that I learnt through Nairaland recently. I have just checked on your website, really nice one, did you build that with Joomla?
Re: What Makes A Good Blog - 5 Things You Should Know by Akinsnaira: 3:03am On Apr 25, 2015
ContentPremise:
Yeah I did it with Joomla. If you are referring to the Joomla tutorial (https://www.nairaland.com/1485054/joomla-free-training-nairaland-live) on the main page of the webmaster's page, I was the one that took it.

This account is for a new business I'm setting up at [url]htpp://ContentPremise.com[/url]. It's mainly for content marketing. Just got started a few days ago though.

Exactly that is the tutorial I was talking about, very educative and helpful, coz I was practising it as I was following through, though I dint finish it.
About the Joomla, does someone have to host the site created by Joomla or Joomla has automatically hosted it just like blogger? And you only have to register the domain name afterwards
Re: What Makes A Good Blog - 5 Things You Should Know by ContentPremise: 5:13am On Apr 25, 2015
With Joomla, you need to register and host a domain name on your own. But inside cPanel(Control Panel) of your hosted domain, you can install Joomla with just a few clicks. You do not need a technical knowledge to do that.

Akinsnaira:

Exactly that is the tutorial I was talking about, very educative and helpful, coz I was practising it as I was following through, though I dint finish it.
About the Joomla, does someone have to host the site created by Joomla or Joomla has automatically hosted it just like blogger? And you only have to register the domain name afterwards
Re: What Makes A Good Blog - 5 Things You Should Know by abbccc(m): 7:36am On Apr 25, 2015
have a glimpse here www.ikeifeadika..com
Re: What Makes A Good Blog - 5 Things You Should Know by Oxygenmat(m): 8:18am On Apr 25, 2015
In addition, a blogger should have a clear-cut reason for his blog right before he starts it. It's silly to start a blog because everyone else blogs. You can see 34 reasons to blog here: http://howtostartablogonline.net/why-blog
Re: What Makes A Good Blog - 5 Things You Should Know by esosa4real(m): 9:21am On Apr 25, 2015
midasbliss:

Kai! Aunty Mi, The Url Is Too Long, Plus .com Is Better dan ... u cnt monetize

But I guess wordpress.org can be monetized ryte??
Re: What Makes A Good Blog - 5 Things You Should Know by Akinsnaira: 12:16pm On Apr 25, 2015
ContentPremise:
With Joomla, you need to register and host a domain name on your own. But inside cPanel(Control Panel) of your hosted domain, you can install Joomla with just a few clicks. You do not need a technical knowledge to do that.

Ok, the advantage is that you will have more feel and control of your blog with Joomla
Re: What Makes A Good Blog - 5 Things You Should Know by Akinsnaira: 5:34pm On Apr 25, 2015
ContentPremise:

Please, I require your expertise on this. If you are targeting traffic from a particular country, Is it necessary or beneficial in any way for someone to host his website or register its domain name with hosting company from that country?
Re: What Makes A Good Blog - 5 Things You Should Know by ContentPremise: 6:08pm On Apr 25, 2015
Not at all. Data centers are located in specific parts of the world. For instance, there is non in Nigeria and Africa as a whole. So those of us selling website hosting services are actually partnering with foreign companies to sell their services.

As long as your host here in Nigeria is uptight with a good company abroad, you can be rest assured that you'll been seen home and abroad.

Akinsnaira:

Please, I require your expertise on this. If you are targeting traffic from a particular country, Is it necessary or beneficial in any way for someone to host his website or register its domain name with hosting company from that country?
Re: What Makes A Good Blog - 5 Things You Should Know by Akinsnaira: 11:47pm On Apr 25, 2015
ContentPremise:
Not at all. Data centers are located in specific parts of the world. For instance, there is non in Nigeria and Africa as a whole. So those of us selling website hosting services are actually partnering with foreign companies to sell their services.

As long as your host here in Nigeria is uptight with a good company abroad, you can be rest assured that you'll been seen home and abroad.

Ok thanks, Coz I heard someone stating it in one thread here on Nairaland that you can improve your traffic from a particular country by hosting your site with their hosting company, but I couldn't make any sense out of it because Internet is global, so no any restriction so long you are online
Re: What Makes A Good Blog - 5 Things You Should Know by orbitame2011: 5:00pm On Apr 26, 2015
Unveiling the Nigeria No.1 Blog Directory and Blogger Community.

www.allblogsdirectory.com

On allblogsdirectory,

You can list your Blog website on www.allblogsdirectory.com
Title of your BLOG
Your blog address or url
Blog description.
Upload Blog picture/image
Bloggers can review your Blog and you can review other people's Blog.
You can have your Blog shared on Facebook and Twitter
Allblogsdirectory has commenting and like button.

www.allblogsdirectory.com is absolutely free.

The purpose of listing your Blog Website on a Blog Directory is to increase traffics to your Blog Website.
Re: What Makes A Good Blog - 5 Things You Should Know by ContentPremise: 5:52pm On Apr 26, 2015
There are data centres or server locations in some countries all over the world. And if your host data center or server location is close to us here in Nigeria, you tend to be served faster. This likened to a GSM mast that's close to your location, as you wander further away from the mast, network becomes poor. I guess this was what your guy was referring to.

But, the spate of data speed at the moment, your server location don't really count. And certainly, won't affect your traffic.

I've a post on how you can drive traffic via email at http://JoomlaExtended.com. You may have a look at it.

Akinsnaira:

Ok thanks, Coz I heard someone stating it in one thread here on Nairaland that you can improve your traffic from a particular country by hosting your site with their hosting company, but I couldn't make any sense out of it because Internet is global, so no any restriction so long you are online
Re: What Makes A Good Blog - 5 Things You Should Know by Akinsnaira: 9:11pm On Apr 26, 2015
ContentPremise:
There are data centres or server locations in some countries all over the world. And if your host data center or server location is close to us here in Nigeria, you tend to be served faster. This likened to a GSM mast that's close to your location, as you wander further away from the mast, network becomes poor. I guess this was what your guy was referring to.

But, the spate of data speed at the moment, your server location don't really count. And certainly, won't affect your traffic.

I've a post on how you can drive traffic via email at http://JoomlaExtended.com. You may have a look at it.

Ok, really appreciate your replies. Happy sun!. Please if you are familiar with AdSense stuff. I want to ask, which one is AdSense code, is it the same thing as AdSense ID? Since I applied for AdSense and got approved, I have not taken any step further. I just checked the welcome message they sent me and I found two different codes, one is 10-digit AdSense ID and the other is 12-digit billing ID. Which one is AdSense code I need to place on my blog?
Re: What Makes A Good Blog - 5 Things You Should Know by ContentPremise: 2:51pm On Apr 27, 2015
I've not done AdSense lately but I don't think it will be difficult especially if you follow the instructions sent to you.

Akinsnaira:

Ok, really appreciate your replies. Happy sun!. Please if you are familiar with AdSense stuff. I want to ask, which one is AdSense code, is it the same thing as AdSense ID? Since I applied for AdSense and got approved, I have not taken any step further. I just checked the welcome message they sent me and I found two different codes, one is 10-digit AdSense ID and the other is 12-digit billing ID. Which one is AdSense code I need to place on my blog?
Re: What Makes A Good Blog - 5 Things You Should Know by Akinsnaira: 8:36pm On Apr 27, 2015
ContentPremise:
I've not done AdSense lately but I don't think it will be difficult especially if you follow the instructions sent to you.

Ok bros, thanks
Re: What Makes A Good Blog - 5 Things You Should Know by ContentPremise: 10:05pm On Apr 27, 2015
Your Nairaland's signature is a subtle way for adverts. Try and craft something for yours.

Akinsnaira:

Ok bros, thanks
Re: What Makes A Good Blog - 5 Things You Should Know by Sesan174: 12:57am On Apr 28, 2015
seo stands for search engine optimization. Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the process of making improvement on- and off- your website in order to gain more exposures in Search Engine results. And more exposures from search engines results, will ultimately lead to people finding your website for the right reasons. In order to understand what improvement will affect search engine results, let's take a step back on the goal of search engines themselves. For more details Click here http://seomarathon..com/2015/04/what-is-search-engine-optimization-seo.html

ifyan:

Check my blog bro.

You can comment on it and please can you explain SEO in a lay man term.

Thanks for the inspiration.

You know. .......
Re: What Makes A Good Blog - 5 Things You Should Know by peteruuu(m): 10:42pm On Apr 29, 2015
Nice....

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Get Quick Adsense Account Approval / Google To Kill Google Reader / How To Send Free Messages On MTN SIM Networks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.