Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,052 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:16 AM

Open Letter From A Nigerian Lady To South Africans - Foreign Affairs (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Open Letter From A Nigerian Lady To South Africans (31827 Views)

South Africans Attack Nigerians -VANGUARD / See What South Africans Had To Say Concerning Xenophobia / Malawi, Congo, Bar South Africans From Entering Their Country (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Open Letter From A Nigerian Lady To South Africans by pastorisrael: 9:04pm On Apr 24, 2015
fretnot:
My name is Lovelyn Chidinma Nwadeyi. I am a Nigerian. Born in Nigeria to two Nigerian parents. Raised in Queenstown, Eastern Cape by those same Nigerian parents right up until I completed my Bachelors at Stellenbosch.
Lovelyn Chidinma Nwadeyi
Lovelyn Chidinma Nwadeyi. Photo: supplied

Growing up in South Africa, I was always reminded by those around me that I was different to everyone else. In primary school, I had a much darker complexion than I do now, and super white teeth – the telling marks of a foreigner that betray you even when you put on your best English accent. It is just too obvious.

I bear citizenship of both worlds. I speak fluent Xhosa, Igbo, Afrikaans and English. I can make sense of Tswana and Sotho. I enjoy a good braai, I love vetkoek and bunny-chow. I can’t get enough of Bokomo WeetBix, I love Ouma’s rusks and I can pull off my panstulas with any outfit on a lazy Saturday when I want to head to town. I am the first to break it down with the ngwaza and the dombolo at the sound of some decent house music or kwaito be it in Pick n Pay or at a party.

I can sokkie and I enjoy it (albeit with my two left feet). My darkest moments can be reversed by koeksisters and a cup of rooibos tea any day. I can jump between the high pitched and arguably annoying accents of some Constantia moms, the lank kif and apparently sophisticated English of my Hilton brothers and the heavy accents of my fellow Eastern Capers. I can attempt the fast paced, lyrical Afrikaans of my coloured brothers in the Cape and I can serve you the best butternut soup you have ever known.

I am as South African as you need me to be.

But my ability to navigate all these spaces did not just happen. Learning to blend into all these spaces was a matter of survival for me.

You see from the day I set foot in Queenstown and started primary school, it was always made very clear to me that I was an outsider. I only had white friends from my first few years in school, because the other black girls couldn’t understand why I was black but only spoke in English. They thought I thought I was better than them. So I spent most of my breaks humbly eating my peanut butter and strawberry jam sandwich, surrounded by those who had Melrose cheese and Provita Crackers with Bovril and/or marmite sandwiches in their lunchboxes. The rest of the time I spent alone, save the few brave souls of similar complexion who tried to befriend me.

What nobody knew was that for the first three years of my life in South Africa, my little brother and I barely saw my dad more than twice a month. What was he doing absent from the home, other than selling pillowcases, duvets and bedsheets, from door to door on foot through the streets, villages and side roads of the old Transkei and Ciskei? My father would leave the house on Monday mornings after him and my mom got us ready for school, and he would be gone for days and weeks, selling the few pillowcases and bedsheets he had from door to door. On foot. We were never sure when he would return. But when he did, we were always more grateful for his safety and aliveness than anything else.

From Queenstown to Cala, Umtata, Qumbu, Qoqodala, Whittlesea, Mount Fletcher, King Williamstown, Mdantsane, Bhisho, Indwe, Butterworth, Aliwal North and even as far as Matatiele and Kokstad. There are so many other places he went to that I do not even know.

That is how my parents put us through school, until they saved up enough money to open their own little shop where they then started selling sewing machines, cotton and then community phones. Then sweets and chips and take-aways; and then hair products and the list goes on and on. It was on this that I was able to go through primary school, high school, and university. My parents have no tertiary education; it was only in their late 40s that both of them decided to register for part-time studies at Walter Sisulu to get their Diplomas. Note: Diplomas.

It took them four years, because they were busy trying to keep their kids in school, and keep selling their sweets and sewing machines while attempting to dignify their efforts with a degree.

My story is not unique – it is the story of most foreigners in South Africa. Very few foreigners come into SA with skills that make them employable here. Unless you are a medical doctor, an academic and maybe an engineer or well-established businessman before coming here, your chances of getting meaningful employment in SA are as limited as those of the United States letting Al-Qaeda members off the hook – almost impossible.

Most foreigners come to SA with the ability to braid hair, carve wood, or sell fruits, veggies, clothes, fizz pops, carpets and soap before they can find their feet here. Some are graduates…but what can another African degree do for you in SA? And any foreigner in SA will tell you that that is the truth. All of us started from below the bottom. Doing work that carries no dignity, no respect and very little financial gain. But when you have left or lost everything that you know and love and end up in a foreign land as unwelcoming in its laws and restrictions as South Africa, you have little choice available to you.

I can bet you that there is not up to 10% of South Africans who would be willing to do the menial and embarrassing work my parents and other foreigners did for as long as they did it, and for as little as they did it, were you to ask them today. So it annoys me, to the deepest part of my being when I see a South African open their mouth and cry “foul” against innocent foreigners. Let’s discuss this:

Arachnophobia – the fear of spiders.

Claustrophobia – the fear of small/tight/enclosed spaces.

Xenophobia – the fear of foreigners.

However individuals who are afraid of spiders do not go around killing spiders, rather they avoid spiders. Equally, individuals who are afraid of small and tight spaces do not go around trying to eliminate the existence of small spaces.

Thus xenophobia does not by definition imply the killing of foreigners. Yet, we continue to label this current wave of killings and murders in SA as xenophobic – and now the cooler term – “Afrophobic” attacks. Can we please just get real? What is happening in SA is a genocide, a genocide fuelled by a deep-seated hatred for which no single foreigner is responsible.

Before, you say this is too extreme, allow me to explain.

Genocide is the systematic/targeted killing of a specific tribe or race.

In South Africa’s case, this would be the senseless killings of non-South Africans, mostly those of African origin and some Pakistani, Bangladeshi and other non-African minorities.

I think the government, South African and international media are being too cowardly to call it what it is. They know what is going on in South Africa and yet they refuse to acknowledge it for fear of who knows what. Is it because their numbers are not high enough? Should we wait until a few good hundred thousand foreigners have been murdered before we speak the truth?

So now the value of human lives is being reduced to a debate on politically correct terms and phrases to protect certain interests. People are being butchered in the streets, and the country is worrying about bad PR. I hate that now, on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, everyone is now trying to say, “Oh no, it’s not all South Africans that are doing this, hey. Just a few of those people there.” South Africans are trying to distance themselves from what is happening in their own backyards as though it is of any consolation to those watching their family members being sizzled in rubber rings. As if that is what matters – true South African style.

This is not the first wave of attacks of this nature in South Africa. In fact, the 2008 attacks were much worse in terms of raw numbers of casualties suffered than these have been so far. The issue of xenophobia is not a new one in SA. However, the differentiator in 2015 is that this wave is backed by a strong ideology; that somehow these attacks can be and are justified.

An ideology that sees merit in the argument that foreigners are stealing the jobs of locals, that they are stealing their women, that these “makwerekwere” are the cause of most ills in South African society.

It is a shame how uninformed and how baseless these arguments are. Foreigners do not and CANNOT steal jobs in SA. Do you know how hard it is to get South African papers, just to get into the country – not to talk of getting a work permit and convincing any company to take on the cost of employing you as a foreigner? Unless you have some freaking scarce skills in the country – it just does not happen like that.

Secondly, just shut up and stop it. South Africans who embibe these arguments are lazy. There is a disgusting entitlement that is attached to this notion that jobs can be stolen. This implies that there are jobs waiting for you – of which there are none.

There are no freaking jobs waiting for anyone. Pick up a bucket and start washing cars. Put on your shoes and walk through your streets, sell tomatoes, eggs and tea – anything people eat, they will buy. Or pick up a book, hustle your way into university, work for a scholarship and get yourself an education. But stop this senselessness. Nobody is stealing your jobs.

I got my first job when I was 11-years-old. I worked on the school bus in my town. I collected money for the bus driver, wrote out receipts and kept order on the bus. I didn’t get paid much, but it helped me learn first that nothing comes easy, I learnt to be responsible and accountable to someone else. Secondly it helped me pay for little extramural expenses I did at school which were not the priority for my parents at the time (and rightly so). In ‘varsity, even though I had a tuition bursary, I worked two part-time jobs and one contract job for the entire three years at Stellenbosch so I could pay for my good, clothes and some additional materials etc. Yes my parents supported me as best they could, but naturally, part of growing up is that you don’t bother your parents for every Rand you need.

So people see me and my family now, several years later driving a decent car and living in an average house and they say, “Ningama kwekwere, asinifuni apha. Niqaphele, aningobalapha.”

“You are foreigners, we do not want you here. You better watch out, you are not of this place,” – unaware of and unwilling to hear of the years of struggle and hustle that came with the decent car and the average house. [Which, by the way, you can never fully own as SA law now restricts ownership of property by foreigners – but that is another discussion.]

And what has been the government’s response to the worsening unemployment and crime situation in the cities and suburbs that incites this violence and dissatisfaction amongst its people? To tighten immigration laws, border controls and any little room the foreigner may have had to just maybe survive in the menacing streets of Johannesburg. As if that is where the problem began.

Is it not the way our economy is structured? That there is limited room for unskilled labour in the workforce? That those who are not vocationally trained must then settle for employment outside of their existing areas of knowledge such as artisans, plumbers and electricians – whereas these skills are equally needed in a developing economy? That we have this thing called BEE which in practice just ensures that the Black bourgeoisie get wealthier by hook or by crook while still protecting and cushioning the impact of democracy on old, white money and big business?

Is it really the little Ethiopian man with his spaza shop that is threatening your progress na Bhuthi? Is it really the Nigerian woman who braids hair and sells Fanta that is stealing your job and place in your own land na Sisi? I can’t deal.

If none of these arguments have merit for you, then think of the fact that during apartheid, Nigeria spent thousands of dollars on the ANC protecting and moving its members across borders; Angola, Mozambique, Tanzania, Burundi, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Kenya, Rwanda, Uganda all housed, supported and/or trained struggle heros with open arms and with no strings attached. How dare South Africans forget how much Africans did for them during apartheid. How dare you!

South Africans, go and learn your history. When you have read your history, then please teach the correct version to your children. Let them know that Africa helped put SA where it is now. Let them know that all blacks are not Xhosa or Zulu, but that that is irrelevant to the amount of dignity you accord to another human being. Teach your children that they must work for everything they want to have except your love as a parent. Teach your children that they are nothing without their neighbour – stop being selective about who Ubuntu applies to and does not. Teach them the truth about you.

The greatest enemy of the black man has always been himself. Not the colonialists. Not the apartheid architects. Only himself.

And as long as you refuse to take responsibility for where you are now, you will remain there. Kill us foreigners or not, it actually makes very little difference to your fortunes in life, people of Mzansi.

Lovelyn Nwadeyi
20 April 2015
lol.nice write up.as should sit up oh
Re: Open Letter From A Nigerian Lady To South Africans by LeSudAfricaine: 9:08pm On Apr 24, 2015
bamgbalaot:
Proudly Nigeria!!I Love my country with full Passion
Good stay there
Re: Open Letter From A Nigerian Lady To South Africans by Nobody: 9:10pm On Apr 24, 2015
What are you still doing there Lovelyn?

Re: Open Letter From A Nigerian Lady To South Africans by lovemoi2(f): 9:13pm On Apr 24, 2015
LeSudAfricaine:
Excellent! You doing us a favour!

[size=15pt]You are so blind to see the fall of South Africa. You better pray for your country. You guys are hated all around the world right now undecided undecided
You are are so stupid you dont even see how much you are still living in slavery,
Your white masters are all educated and sucessful and you are busy looking for blames from hardworking blacks.
You dont know how embarassing it is to see you guys being black and killing fellow blacks!!!! The whole world is watching.
[/size]

1 Like

Re: Open Letter From A Nigerian Lady To South Africans by LeSudAfricaine: 9:14pm On Apr 24, 2015
lovemoi2:
[size=15pt]Even the south african President Jacob Zuma said South Africans are lazy[/size]
Funny enough, we are lazy in our country, what does it got to do anything with you? You have your own Boko Haram issues to solve for godsakes! You people are obsessed!
Re: Open Letter From A Nigerian Lady To South Africans by LeSudAfricaine: 9:20pm On Apr 24, 2015
lovemoi2:

[size=15pt]You are so blind to see the fall of South Africa. You better pray for your country. You guys are hated all around the world right now undecided undecided
You are are so stupid you dont even see how much you are still living in slavery,
Your white masters are all educated and sucessful and you are busy looking for blames from hardworking blacks.
You dont know how embarassing it is to see you guys being black and killing fellow blacks!!!! The whole world is watching.
[/size]
We are hated all around the world? Lol, Does'nt that title belong to good'ol corrupt Nigeria? Such righteous nonsense! The black middle class of South África is far bigger than that of your white people you worship, black people in SA are educated,especially the females,.don't judge the whole nation by a few illetrate idiots and make generalisations
Re: Open Letter From A Nigerian Lady To South Africans by lovemoi2(f): 9:21pm On Apr 24, 2015
LeSudAfricaine:
Funny enough, we are lazy in our country, what does it got to do anything with you? You have your own Boko Haram issues to solve for godsakes! You people are obsessed!

You compare Xenophobia to Terrorism Wow!!!! I now understand the level of your illiteracy

1 Like

Re: Open Letter From A Nigerian Lady To South Africans by LeSudAfricaine: 9:24pm On Apr 24, 2015
lovemoi2:

[/size]
And by the way not every white person is educated, you'll be very suprised by many Afrikanners.You are viewing the world in village like simplistic manner
Re: Open Letter From A Nigerian Lady To South Africans by LeSudAfricaine: 9:27pm On Apr 24, 2015
lovemoi2:

You compare Xenophobia to Terorism Wow!!!! I now understand the level of your illitreacy
First of all you'all obsessed with literacy on this site and yet your literacy rate are'nt excactly inspiring,, secondly I asked you a question...what is our supposed laziness got to do with you?
Re: Open Letter From A Nigerian Lady To South Africans by Nobody: 9:28pm On Apr 24, 2015
LeSudAfricaine:
Good stay there
brotherly, can u just please sit back and refrain from all this tribalistic fire me I fire u , u doing here...let #peace reign for goodness sake, we are all Africa's sharing same land but demarcated by borders/slight water not to talk of an ocean or sea..if we Africa's are doing this to ourselves, what should the other continents do? Mister, let peace reign...God Bless Nigeria God bless African
Re: Open Letter From A Nigerian Lady To South Africans by Misogynist2014(m): 9:29pm On Apr 24, 2015
Justfollowit:

It depends

I can allow her to marry former gigolo however I wouldn't want her to marry a man with 5 kids who has divorced 7 times
Can you then see the past can affect the present and future? Therefore the past of my woman (or anyone close to me) is my business. angry
Re: Open Letter From A Nigerian Lady To South Africans by LeSudAfricaine: 9:34pm On Apr 24, 2015
bamgbalaot:
brotherly, can u just please sit back and refrain from all this tribalistic fire me I fire u , u doing here...let #peace reign for goodness sake, we are all Africa's sharing same land but demarcated by borders/slight water not to talk of an ocean or sea..if we Africa's are doing this to ourselves, what should the other continents do? Mister, let peace reign...God Bless Nigeria God bless African
My brother I agree wholeheartedly, And this comment is probably the best, I've seen from this site, the problem is with some of your countrymen who make generalisation for the sake of making them. They talk and talk and all of a sudden every body has a bone to pick with my countryn I will not allow that
Re: Open Letter From A Nigerian Lady To South Africans by Nobody: 9:37pm On Apr 24, 2015
Misogynist2014:
Can you then see the past can affect the present and future? Therefore the past of my woman (or anyone close to me) is my business. angry

Lol

That was good but look at my words again. I used the verb ‘wouldn't' tongue, it simply depicted that my position on whether I would allow my daughter to marry that man is weak. tongue
Re: Open Letter From A Nigerian Lady To South Africans by lovemoi2(f): 9:40pm On Apr 24, 2015
LeSudAfricaine:
My brother I agree wholeheartedly, And this comment is probably the best, I've seen from this site, the problem is with some of your countrymen who make generalisation for the sake of making them. They talk and talk and all of a sudden every body has a bone to pick with my countryn I will not allow that

Tell your country men to stop killing fellow blacks they call foreigners, destroying their shops and stealing from the shops they destroy!!!! I shake my head in disgust whenever i see the photos of pure wickedness. Im totally done with this topic... Peace!!!

1 Like

Re: Open Letter From A Nigerian Lady To South Africans by soilsista(f): 9:40pm On Apr 24, 2015
Isgezo esingaka??
Re: Open Letter From A Nigerian Lady To South Africans by soilsista(f): 9:42pm On Apr 24, 2015
LeSudAfricaine:
Une haba lo sisi shame! Imagine, people butchered on the streets??
Re: Open Letter From A Nigerian Lady To South Africans by unamama(m): 9:45pm On Apr 24, 2015
chai, no wonder the SA are asking u ppl to leave. even me wey b Nigerian self dey vex with this your article. learn to summarize jooooor.
Re: Open Letter From A Nigerian Lady To South Africans by LeSudAfricaine: 9:46pm On Apr 24, 2015
soilsista:

Une haba lo sisi shame! Imagine, people butchered on the streets??
ey bayanyanyisa la kule site
Re: Open Letter From A Nigerian Lady To South Africans by LeSudAfricaine: 9:49pm On Apr 24, 2015
lovemoi2:

Tell your country men to stop killing fellow blacks they call foreigners, destroying their shops and stealing from the shops they destroy!!!! I shake my head in disgust whenever i see the photos of pure wickedness. Im totally done with this topic... Peace!!!
Noted! And please also tell your countrymen to stop with the ritual killings of fellow Nigerians, I shake my head in disgust whenever I see photos of pure wickedness...
Re: Open Letter From A Nigerian Lady To South Africans by Abbey2sam(m): 9:50pm On Apr 24, 2015
a good movie can be made outta this............................but truth be told its a touching story and i believe it all
Re: Open Letter From A Nigerian Lady To South Africans by Crieff(m): 9:58pm On Apr 24, 2015
Bravoo! Lovelyn Chindinma Nwadeyi
Re: Open Letter From A Nigerian Lady To South Africans by TopsyKrete: 10:03pm On Apr 24, 2015
The only advice i will give the South Afrikaans is to[size=20pt]get a life[/size]
Re: Open Letter From A Nigerian Lady To South Africans by dustydee: 10:05pm On Apr 24, 2015
Well written. Very intelligent woman.
Re: Open Letter From A Nigerian Lady To South Africans by Nobody: 10:16pm On Apr 24, 2015
yemmynoni:
Ok summarise it

First and foremost, she talks about her family experience in South Africa and touches on the suffering of her father selling pillows and other peasant wears to raise them up to the level she attains today by attending university. Before then she talks about how South African blacks distance themselves from her while she has to make friends from the white folks in her primary to secondary school.

Next thing, she addresses the scenario of the black South Africans believing on welfare entitlement, BEE,etc as their rights as well as seeing foreigners as those who are contributing to their problems whereas they are the causes of their problems by remaining idle and lazy. Also talks about the need to address xenophobia from a genocide standpoint due to the level of the crime which is seen as 'Afrophobia' by the leaders to trivialize the attacks. At a point she asks for solution to the crime by calling on the United Nations and the government of that nation to treat it as genocide.

On the concluding part, she talks about how the people become envious of her achievements and gossip about her each time she drives her car around the middle class neighborhood in their native language . Above all, she wants them to change their mindset about foreigners and understand the long way they have come in their struggles of surviving in that nation.
Re: Open Letter From A Nigerian Lady To South Africans by Ranoscky(m): 10:34pm On Apr 24, 2015
In love with the op for this write up.

1 Like

Re: Open Letter From A Nigerian Lady To South Africans by Horus(m): 10:40pm On Apr 24, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eS3KSgDJBE

[size=15pt]A Zimbabwean response to South Africa Xenophobia[/size]
Re: Open Letter From A Nigerian Lady To South Africans by BrOwnSuga3: 10:47pm On Apr 24, 2015
Interesting
Re: Open Letter From A Nigerian Lady To South Africans by yemmynoni: 10:48pm On Apr 24, 2015
all4naija:

First and foremost, she talks about her family experience in South Africa and touches on the suffering of her father selling pillows and other peasant wears to raise them up to the level she attains today by attending university. Before then she talks about how South African blacks distance themselves from her while she has to make friends from the white folks in her primary to secondary school.

Next thing, she addresses the scenario of the black South Africans believing on welfare entitlement, BEE,etc as their rights as well as seeing foreigners as those who are contributing to their problems whereas they are the causes of their problems by remaining idle and lazy. Also talks about the need to address xenophobia from a genocide standpoint due to the level of the crime which is seen as 'Afrophobia' by the leaders to trivialize the attacks. At a point she asks for solution to the crime by calling on the United Nations and the government of that nation to treat it as genocide.

On the concluding part, she talks about how the people become envious of her achievements and gossip about her each time she drives her car around the middle class neighborhood in their native language . Above all, she wants them to change their mindset about foreigners and understand the long way they have come in their struggles of surviving in that nation.
thank you very much
Re: Open Letter From A Nigerian Lady To South Africans by Tshaphilo: 10:52pm On Apr 24, 2015
Tanks a lot for ur write up. A naija is a naija. what they refuse to use ur parents used n got enlightened while they were busy drinking uboshi. I remember in my secondary school days that we were made to part with our money becoz we were contributing to save our so called brothers from Iyam bhuto. In my university days there were a lot of south africans being sponsoredby nigerian govt. Nigerian govt spent $16 million to fight. apetheid. if a zulu king that is suppose to know history still make incitting statement then SAians are naturally not hospitable
l wont tell u lies lovelyn I HATE SAFRICANS even from school. The shape of their heads puts me off. So the last place I will ever visit is SA. For those of u there I wish all the best.
m

1 Like

Re: Open Letter From A Nigerian Lady To South Africans by jimi4us: 10:59pm On Apr 24, 2015
nikkflexible:
Biko..i need the summarized version of this novel...am too lazy to read this one this afternoon jare
na your mate take time write full intelligent note like dis and you no fit take few minutes read am. but if na note on how to go carry money for bus stop your eyes go clear like Segun arinze own.
Re: Open Letter From A Nigerian Lady To South Africans by Nobody: 10:59pm On Apr 24, 2015
yemmynoni:
thank you very much
You are welcome. cool

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Russia Sends Warplanes To Syria For Huge Naval Drills (Pics, Video) / UK Approves The Extradition Of Julian Assange To The US. Wikileaks Reacts / Update: No Military Takeover In Zimbabwe - Says Zimbabwe Defence Forces (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.