Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,213 members, 7,811,583 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:05 PM

What's Wrong With Being On The Bench? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / What's Wrong With Being On The Bench? (2293 Views)

Brand New AB King Bench With Dumbbells @ ₦30,000 / Rower Sit-up ,bench Press And Weight At Reasonable Prices (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's Wrong With Being On The Bench? by Akolawole(m): 9:34pm On Sep 08, 2006
I laughed off when i read some of my Nairaland friends mentioning Bench Warmers.

i am not sure of "how many of us have played the beautiful game before" .

Benchwarmers, Substitute and trainning materials are freely used et al.

To a good football Analyst, they know, there must be a reserve players or a substitute and they are very vital in all football teams.

Lets examine these players:

1) Louis Saha was a "bench warmer" until few months ago that becomes on of Premiership hottest Strikers

2) Julius Aghahowa did marvellous things as a super sub

3) In Canada "87, Christopher Nwosu( Egbon Oyin as we call him) came in to the 1/4 and 1/2 final to lead Naija through?

4) Drogba was a second half substitute in Chelsea's match against Blackburn, he scored and win MOTM award

5) An Inspired Kanu came in as a substitute to gear Nigeria to Victory in Algiers.

6) Almighty Henry came from the bench to save arsenal from their arch rival in Spurs.

Sub What?
Re: What's Wrong With Being On The Bench? by kitaun(m): 9:39pm On Sep 08, 2006
Are all these people mentioned perennial bench warmers? grin
Re: What's Wrong With Being On The Bench? by rikkyjen(m): 10:16pm On Sep 08, 2006
Exactly Kitaun!!!, you are sopts-on cheesy

Can you compare this guys to SWP or Njitap Geremi who sits on the bench to pocket 60,000 pounds in a week!!! undecided cheesy
Re: What's Wrong With Being On The Bench? by candylips(m): 10:38pm On Sep 08, 2006
at least them dey collect their megabucks
Re: What's Wrong With Being On The Bench? by Akolawole(m): 11:34pm On Sep 08, 2006
@Rikkyjen

Can we discuss this based on the topic.

Dont take it to Chelsea but if you insist i am ready.
Re: What's Wrong With Being On The Bench? by Jackal(m): 12:54am On Sep 09, 2006
There's nuthing wrong being a substitute.
Whoever said its wrong should be castrated and crucified in the most barbaric way known to man.
As a matter of fact, there are 2 classes of substitutes which are the normal sub and the super sub.
A super-substitute is a substitute made by the coach/manager that subsequently saves the game by scoring the winning goal.
Roger Milla scored 4 important goals at Italia 90 as a substitute and he was the cutting edge Cameroon had over other teams.
Anutha super-sub i can think of these days is Ole Gunner Solskjaer of Man Utd.
Solskjaer always score as a substitute which kind of inspired Alex Ferguson to always use him as a substitute in most matches.

Technically, any player can be subed as this depends on the squad size of the team a player plays.
For instance, Chelsea is a team that has 22 world class players including 5 national team captains in Ballack, Shevchenko, Geremi, Drogba and Terry.
How does one expect a particular player to play all the 38 games in this club? Its almost impossible because Chelsea's team quality is top draw.
The same Mikel Obi that warms the bench at Chelsea will feature regularly at Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal if he had signed for any of 'em.
The number of matches a player gets in a team depends greatly on the squad size and not really on the player's quality.
Afterall, Robinho sits on the bench regularly at Real Madrid in spite of his quality. Wld he sit on the bench at Arsenal or Liverpool?
Re: What's Wrong With Being On The Bench? by Akolawole(m): 1:29pm On Sep 09, 2006
@Jackal

Word.

Did you see how they twisted the topic to Chelsea stuff?

No Wonder our Sports thread dont merit Nairaland home page Again?

kitaun:

Are all these people mentioned perennial bench warmers? grin

Is Kanu (£40,000 a week)not a perenial bench warmer at his later days in Arsenal?
Re: What's Wrong With Being On The Bench? by Grizzly(m): 1:40pm On Sep 09, 2006
@ jackal, wink cool
Re: What's Wrong With Being On The Bench? by kitaun(m): 8:55pm On Sep 09, 2006
Its so obvious that Akola is obsessed with me now that he has chosen to quote me at every given opportunity even when am not supposed to be quotedundecided shocked

I simply asked if the people mentioned are perennial benchwarmers and never mentioned anything about Chelsea and can someone please define[i] Perennial[/i] for me? grin

Was Kanu a benchwarmer as regards to the national team as at the time we went to play at Algiers?

Kanu was a bit-part player in his latter days but he still had the required number of games to win a League medal, moreso it was obvious that he was not fitting in perfectly to the gaffer's plans anymore

At different times all those players mentioned by Akola came in to fulfil their parts as Super-subs and cannot rightly be described as Benchwarmers and i think Jackal has rightly summed it all up in his post

There will always be the difference between between Subs, Super-subs and BENCHWARMERS cool

The reason why anyone would mention SWP was because the guy was one of the brightest prospects in the EPL as 2003/2004 season considering his exploits at Man City and no one expected that with the abundance of talent he will be made to sit on the bench that much tongue
Re: What's Wrong With Being On The Bench? by Priscila(f): 3:31pm On Sep 10, 2006
kola
why beat about the bush when its obvious you are referring to me when i said earlier on that" strictly chelsea"
and I quote
" I bet obi mikel spends an eternity on that hard bench alongside usual world- class bench warmers like Geremi,wayne Bridge,Wrights philips,kalou &co who are clearly not as smart as Duff and Crespo who have left"
i did not say there was anything wrong having world class bench warmers but definetely there is a big difference btn usual warmers and subs. Namely?
there is always the bench back-up but not tireless warmers
Re: What's Wrong With Being On The Bench? by amodu(m): 5:13pm On Sep 10, 2006
We all know what the topic says, the topic is not in anyway talking about Chelsea but Players sitting on the bench.

There is no club that doesn't have perenial bench warmers. Perenial means continuing for a long time, happening again and again.

there is a different between substitute and bench warmers but i dont know the one Akola is referring to in this thread. If he is referring to bench warmers there is something wrong in it, he wont be able to show the stuff he is been made of as at the time he is hot.
Re: What's Wrong With Being On The Bench? by Akolawole(m): 7:12am On Sep 11, 2006
Priscila:

kola
why beat about the bush when its obvious you are referring to me when i said earlier on that" strictly chelsea"
and I quote
" I bet obi mikel spends an eternity on that hard bench alongside usual world- class bench warmers like Geremi,wayne Bridge,Wrights philips,kalou &co who are clearly not as smart as Duff and Crespo who have left"
i did not say there was anything wrong having world class bench warmers but definetely there is a big difference btn usual warmers and subs. Namely?
there is always the bench back-up but not tireless warmers

Madam,

I dont understand this. Can you please break it into a simpler primary school english for somebody like me to understand.
Re: What's Wrong With Being On The Bench? by Akolawole(m): 7:25am On Sep 11, 2006
@All

I cant but wonder how people analyse this.

Some people who claimed to be Gunner cannot even count how many matches Arsenal lost in Highbury last season let alone number of matches SWP played for Chelsea. cool
Re: What's Wrong With Being On The Bench? by Priscila(f): 12:46pm On Sep 11, 2006
Kola
please don't crack me up! Adios adios amigos( perhaps you understand this one).Anyway I will elaborate this somehow
Usual bench warmer is one who plays very few games in a season example Geremi the unsung star at Chelsea Fc and viceversa. By the way Mourinho can offload players like Mutu,Crespo,gallas while G has remained unscathed. Any management reason?Its always wildly unlikely to see a benchwarmer in pitch but obviously you will see a sub at any time .
Am I clear now that I,ve given an example.
Is it not because of me you started this thread?
alluta continua men!
Re: What's Wrong With Being On The Bench? by under18(f): 11:30am On Sep 12, 2006
am learnin much fron this section.
so thats d difference between worldclass benchwarmer
and a substitut
Re: What's Wrong With Being On The Bench? by amodu(m): 5:10pm On Sep 12, 2006
How do you know he started this thread because of you.
Re: What's Wrong With Being On The Bench? by Priscila(f): 7:12pm On Sep 12, 2006
amodu
its because he quoted me when I mentioned the statement I quote above
Re: What's Wrong With Being On The Bench? by Akolawole(m): 10:38pm On Sep 12, 2006
@Prisccy

How many matches does Geremi play last Season?
Re: What's Wrong With Being On The Bench? by Priscila(f): 11:03am On Sep 14, 2006
Amodu/grizzly
the blue fanatics where are you? you need to answer how many butt prints Geremi has on that bench. U uuh not me o.
kola ask me about Arsenal or even Seaman our former goalie!
Re: What's Wrong With Being On The Bench? by amodu(m): 1:26pm On Sep 14, 2006
Priscila:

Amodu/grizzly
the blue fanatics where are you? you need to answer how many butt prints Geremi has on his back. U uuh not me o.
kola ask me about Arsenal or even Seaman our former goalie!

You are the one Akola is referring to not me nor Grizzly.
Re: What's Wrong With Being On The Bench? by Akolawole(m): 6:41pm On Sep 14, 2006
@Amodu Baba

You see what i am talking about.

Some of them cant even recognise Shaun Wright-Phillips or Jose Mourinho on TV grin

@Prisccy

The question is directed to you.
Re: What's Wrong With Being On The Bench? by amodu(m): 8:04pm On Sep 14, 2006
Priscila
Re: What's Wrong With Being On The Bench? by Priscila(f): 9:37am On Sep 15, 2006
Amodu/Kola
you guys have just thown stones at police station during midday.
I know Geremi more than any other fan on this forum infact some of it personal but I wont give you the justification.
Let me educate all Chelsea fans a little about him and by the end of my analysis and short history Kola wont be asking such a cheap querry. Y' all don't know this man I guess

Kola laughing at me that gunners don't know long-nosed Mourinho and that small faced Wrights philips like a bird? You will get more than what you bargained for men!
Re: What's Wrong With Being On The Bench? by amodu(m): 9:47am On Sep 15, 2006
You haven't give any explanation about him, so we are waiting.
Re: What's Wrong With Being On The Bench? by Priscila(f): 10:03am On Sep 15, 2006
Todo sobre Geremi( all about Geremi ) No one knows this am sure.
( he told me he is not a quitter as he is still fighting  for a first place since

Born on[b] Dec 20 1978[/b] in Bafoussam-Cameroon by a peasant family.I mean Solere Geremi Fotso Njitap[/color]
In 1994
-he started his football career with local team Racing Bafoussam
1996-[/b]Moved to paraguay to join Cerro porteno( won his 1st cup in 1996)

[b] 1997-1999
he joined Genclerbirligi in Turkey( missed out on 1998 world cup as he was seen as inexperienced)
He was then signed to Real madrid by coach [color=#000099]John Toshack
.In 2000 he scored one of the vital goals for real against Bayern Munich in champions league semi-finals of which Real  later beat Valencia in finals.
2002- He was loaned to middleborough and was voted the best boro player 2002/2003
2003 -Chelsea Italian Coach Claudio ranieri signed him for $6.9M(pounds)
he was regular player at Chelsea by then before Mourinho came and made him a world class bench warmer.
2005/2006 premieship season he scored twice against Liverpool and Sunderland.
But even with the coming of Roman G  still leads a humble life.

He lives in a hotel in London unlike other other Blue stars who own mansionsNot a flashy person.
He only drives one car.[/b]At the adidas and Chelsea Blue day out [/color][color=#990000]event for fans at the bridge he had one of the biggest cheers as he made his entrace to chelsea stadium in an AA van [/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color]after his car was broken down.

Men! let me not continue since i might tell a forbidden thing.
[b]Kola
[color=#000099][/color][color=#990000]! what else do you want from me? you've made me type like never before. so my man swallow your vomit!
Re: What's Wrong With Being On The Bench? by amodu(m): 10:13am On Sep 15, 2006
Good one there
Re: What's Wrong With Being On The Bench? by Priscila(f): 12:01pm On Sep 15, 2006
One has already bowed.
My friend!( I mean amodu} go get Kola and his crew to salute. all blues have to learn,as some don't even know G's  full names.
Re: What's Wrong With Being On The Bench? by under18(f): 12:09pm On Sep 15, 2006
pri
r u from cameroon? u know too much
about gerem n i dont know him o.is this better english
Re: What's Wrong With Being On The Bench? by amodu(m): 4:14pm On Sep 15, 2006
Priscila:

One has already bored.
My friend!( I mean amodu} go get Kola and his crew to salute. all blues have to learn,as some don't even know G's full names.

I commend earlier on your explanation but now it seems you want to go beyond commendation and your boundaries.
Re: What's Wrong With Being On The Bench? by Priscila(f): 6:11pm On Sep 15, 2006
honourable amodu!
I typed in a rush but I meant bowed for real.Go find others to read more about G my man!its not like you view it.which boundaries are you talking about?
Please don't be easy to take offenses especially if you can read between lines.I love you all
Re: What's Wrong With Being On The Bench? by Akolawole(m): 11:30pm On Sep 15, 2006
@All Nairaland Gunners

I ask Prisccy this simple question

Akolawole:

@Prisccy
How many matches does Geremi play last Season?

These are what i get in return

1)

Priscila:

Amodu/Kola
you guys have just thown stones at police station during midday.
I know Geremi more than any other fan on this forum infact some of it personal but I wont give you the justification.
Let me educate all Chelsea fans a little about him and by the end of my analysis and short history Kola wont be asking such a cheap querry. Y' all don't know this man I guess

Kola laughing at me that gunners don't know long-nosed Mourinho and that small faced Wrights philips like a bird? You will get more than what you bargained for men!

2)

Priscila:

you've made me type like never before. so my man swallow your vomit!

3)

Priscila:

go get Kola and his crew to salute. all blues have to learn,as some don't even know G's full names

Though i try not to throw Insults but the other side of me is very bad.

Nairaland-Gunners, i am waiting for your comment on this.
Re: What's Wrong With Being On The Bench? by kitaun(m): 12:17am On Sep 16, 2006
What she suceeded in telling you was how much she knows abt geremi so where is d insult angle coming in from? is it lordi that you are waiting for to comment at least for obvious reasons objectivity! pls stop these quoting stuff,egbon,e joo,biko

(1) (2) (Reply)

2018/19 EPL season prediction & where your club will likely end / Chelsea Reach Agreement With Real Madrid Over Kante / Who Will Win The EPL Player Of The Season?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.