Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,305 members, 7,811,901 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:56 PM

Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? (15988 Views)

Civil Servants And Their Attitude To Work!!!! / Get Professionally Certified In Any Course Of Your Choice In Dubai. / Fidelity Bank, Best Bank To Work For In Nigeria – Survey (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by naijacutee(f): 7:21am On Apr 25, 2015
Hi guys,

Sometimes I enjoy cycling to work to get some exercise and to avoid traffic. I live in the UK, and although this isn't very safe here (it's safer in the Scandinavia), I cycle on walking pavements since I would love to return home to my family in one piece. I'd like to know if there are any keen cyclists who out of choice cycle to work, or cycle for leisure in Nigeria. I'd really like to continue cycling when I inevitably move back to Nigeria especially as it is my only serious form of exercise, so it would be great to know what the current climate is like.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by nerodenero: 7:35am On Apr 25, 2015
I grew up in the South and it is almost abnormal to see adults cycling to work for whatever reasons. Besides, how can you do that when you live on the mainland and your work place is on the Island? Anyway, no matter the distance, it is just not a norm in this part of the world. We feel too big for no reason.

The same can't be said of the North precisely Zaria in Kaduna State. Some years back, I was stunned to see the number of adults cycling to work. I spent some years there but with time, the number of people cycling around reduced drastically.

13 Likes

Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by asadike(f): 8:15am On Apr 25, 2015
My dear, you can do that in nigeria if you want but its quite rare coz people see it as sign of poverty. I know just a man that does that here in d east.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by naijacutee(f): 9:13am On Apr 25, 2015
nerodenero:
I grew up in the South and it is almost abnormal to see adults cycling to work for whatever reasons. Besides, how can you do that when you live on the mainland and your work place is on the Island? Anyway, no matter the distance, it is just not a norm in this part of the world. We feel too big for no reason.
The same can't be said of the North precisely Zaria in Kaduna State. Some years back, I was stunned to see the number of adults cycling to work. I spent some years there but with time, the number of people cycling around reduced drastically.

I hear there's a ferry that travels from the mainland to the island. Perhaps one could carry the bike on the ferry?

1 Like

Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by naijacutee(f): 9:15am On Apr 25, 2015
asadike:
My dear, you can do that in nigeria if you want but its quite rare coz people see it as sign of poverty. I know just a man that does that here in d east.

Lol. I just need to know if it's practical. I don't really care about what people think to be honest. People thinking I'm poor won't remove/add anything from my body :-). Let them think what they want.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by nerodenero: 10:24am On Apr 25, 2015
naijacutee:

I hear there's a ferry that travels from the mainland to the island. Perhaps one could carry the bike on the ferry?
That's true.
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by CrazyMan(m): 10:37pm On Jun 08, 2015
That would depend on where in Nigeria you're based, and the kind of Job you do.

In the south-west Lagos in particular, riding a bicycle to the office is quite dangerous. Reason is as a result of the heavy traffic congestion in the state.

Secondly its odd...most people from that part of the country (Lagos) see bicycle riding as fun, exercise...etc. And not as a means of transportation.

In states where you can drive your vehicle for hours without experiencing a single traffic congestion, (say places like the north and some villages in the south east) I believe its possible.

2 Likes

Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by veekid(m): 1:04pm On Jul 29, 2015
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by olowemaro: 1:05pm On Jul 29, 2015
Naija people have a kinda bolot ego that wont allow

2 Likes

Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by Lexusgs430: 1:05pm On Jul 29, 2015
Metropolitan Police - Another Nigerian law breaker here. When you accidentally hit a poor pedestrian, what insurance can he/she claim through?
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by bmxshop: 1:05pm On Jul 29, 2015
Yes
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by kamez(m): 1:05pm On Jul 29, 2015
the only people that cycle to work are the farmers in villages.

if u try am for Lagos, u will end up pushing the bicycle to work. because of the traffic congestion.

I had a bicycle about 2yrs back its was strictly for my weekend exercise. around FESTAC where I reside.

but I abandoned it when one danfo driver almost killed me while cycling around 23 road..

7 Likes

Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by Hobat(m): 1:05pm On Jul 29, 2015
Space
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by Jeromejnr(m): 1:05pm On Jul 29, 2015
Due to most Naija folks uncivilised mentality. If you try that here...the abuse you will get on the road that day, you won't try it again.

It's supposed to be a normal thing as it is in places like Australia, U.K, France e.t.c.

But the local people are trying to form what they are not. Mtcheew.

7 Likes

Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by Rounakid(m): 1:05pm On Jul 29, 2015
B
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by OCTAVO: 1:06pm On Jul 29, 2015
I
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by Lexusgs430: 1:06pm On Jul 29, 2015
You cycle on walking pavements? Where are the Bobbys on the beat?
Pavements are meant for pedestrians!!!!!
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jul 29, 2015
I dont know
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by OCTAVO: 1:06pm On Jul 29, 2015
naijacutee:

Lol. I just need to know if it's practical. I don't really care about what people think to be honest. People thinking I'm poor won't remove/add anything from my body :-). Let them think what they want.
Lolzzzzzz, funniest thing is that I sell bicycles. And some people buy for that purpose. cheesy
Will attach pic smiley

1 Like

Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by iPopAlomo(m): 1:07pm On Jul 29, 2015
If you live on the mainland and work on the island... not possible...
For the people about to slay me...
think about it...
cycling on third mainland bridge...?
or cycling from iyana ipaja to Ojuelegba...
the OP should be fine if you don't live too far from work and you can always cycle during weekends...

1 Like

Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by bigiyaro(m): 1:07pm On Jul 29, 2015
i do ride a bicycle to wrk bt its because i want to define my six packs very well.
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by refreshrate: 1:07pm On Jul 29, 2015
Come my villa now dem plenty
all the farmers and palmwine tappers abi those ones no qualify as work?

1 Like

Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by adonbilivit: 1:09pm On Jul 29, 2015
in lagos? yeah, coz of traffic. but the guy below me might contradict me
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by Anuoluwapo3054(m): 1:09pm On Jul 29, 2015
Don't try it in Lagos o... Danfo go jam you cos na rough dem dey drive o

3 Likes

Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by meteko(m): 1:10pm On Jul 29, 2015
I do take my bicycle to work though its not too and I ride it virtually everyday,to hell with whoever's thaught coz if such person thinks its abnormal but if my current working place changes (i.e d distance) then I'll limit it to weekends only.be who u are n take less concern of some running mouths
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by drnoel: 1:10pm On Jul 29, 2015
nerodenero:

Easy, I used to cycle 10 km to work when I was younger. Now though I do less time as my place of work is not far to where I stay. I still enjoy the exercise it gives my legs and heart.
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by angelTI(f): 1:11pm On Jul 29, 2015
Take bicycle to work in Nigeria? What do you want people to think of you grin grin grin According to Nigeria's standard, its only people in the village especially palm wine tappers that use it undecided

3 Likes

Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by damola1: 1:12pm On Jul 29, 2015
I actually did commute to work earlier in the year by bicycle. But then, I stopped... I get mood swings easily, can start again anytime.

Nobody around does it, but I really do not care about people's opinion, especially since this is primarily for health concerns. So, what I did first was to change my wardrobe to suit my new commuting style. I now use mainly shorts.

My office to work distance is about: 35mins walk , and 15mins by bicycle, so in last 6 months or so, I just walk, so, at least: 30mins walk daily, sometimes, to and fro... allows me ample time to listen to audio books also.
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by edoyad(m): 1:12pm On Jul 29, 2015
If you live and work in a cool town like Jos, why not?
However the climate of most Nigerian towns would complicate issues if you have to dress formally to your job. Unless you have a bathroom in the office, there's no point showing up at work soaked up in your sweat.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FG February Salary 2017 / Why The Education You Received Might Fail You / Best Ways To Handle Toxic And Irritating People In Your Place Of Work

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.