Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,293 members, 7,815,510 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:43 PM

Brake Pad Job(BMW 318Ci) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Brake Pad Job(BMW 318Ci) (2185 Views)

Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One / Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? / Speeding Vehicle That Failed Brake Ran Into Ikosi-ketu Branch Of Mr Biggs(photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Brake Pad Job(BMW 318Ci) by erico2k2(m): 9:48pm On Apr 26, 2015
Well, I believe the most changed and serviced part of our cars especially in 9ja would be the Brake pads.many of us would take our cars to the mechanics,we may or may not get good brake pad there by going back every 6 months or less.This is a simple DIY with photos,changing your brake Pads is as easy as ABC and the tools involved are very cheap or common.Most cars using pads are almost same systems

Tools needed
*Wide Mouth Pliers or C-Clamp
* 7mm hex /Allen Key
* Jack and jack stands
* fine sand paper
*Brake grease
* Rubber grease
* Flat blade screwdriver
* wrench
*Brake bar

Re: Brake Pad Job(BMW 318Ci) by erico2k2(m): 9:50pm On Apr 26, 2015
New Brake pads plus brake grease plus Rubber Grease

Re: Brake Pad Job(BMW 318Ci) by erico2k2(m): 9:57pm On Apr 26, 2015
well you will need to slacken your log nuts ,then jack Tyre up remove Tyre.You can examine your brake disk to see if it needs changing there and then.

Re: Brake Pad Job(BMW 318Ci) by erico2k2(m): 10:05pm On Apr 26, 2015
first thing first, you got to remove the caliper spring,this is what is meant to prevent squeeeeeeeeeeeky noise

Re: Brake Pad Job(BMW 318Ci) by erico2k2(m): 10:08pm On Apr 26, 2015
next step is to remove the cover to the caliper sliding Pins

Re: Brake Pad Job(BMW 318Ci) by erico2k2(m): 10:12pm On Apr 26, 2015
Oh yeah you got to loosen the sliding Pin with the 7mm hex, clean it and grease it with the Brake grease.

Re: Brake Pad Job(BMW 318Ci) by erico2k2(m): 10:22pm On Apr 26, 2015
You got to Bar the caliper to free the brake pad's grip on the disk before this, you got to open the master break lid to get rid of any pressure that might build in the system, people have other ways of doing this but I recon this is clean and easy way.

Re: Brake Pad Job(BMW 318Ci) by erico2k2(m): 10:25pm On Apr 26, 2015
you can then just remove the brake caliper and support it underneath to reduce strain on the hydrolic hose/pipe.We don't want that to split.that would be a very bad day that is lol

Re: Brake Pad Job(BMW 318Ci) by erico2k2(m): 10:29pm On Apr 26, 2015
Well by my method, you have to leave the pad in the piston and use the wide mouth pliers to force the piston back as the new pad will require clearance for it to fit inside the caliper bracket.And remove the sensor.

Re: Brake Pad Job(BMW 318Ci) by erico2k2(m): 10:32pm On Apr 26, 2015
See how flush the piston is to the caliper wall?

Re: Brake Pad Job(BMW 318Ci) by erico2k2(m): 11:02pm On Apr 26, 2015
Then you can put the rubber grease on back of both pads where they touch with the caliper

Re: Brake Pad Job(BMW 318Ci) by erico2k2(m): 11:05pm On Apr 26, 2015
Now replace brake pads,the outer one can just rest on the caliper bracket like so

Re: Brake Pad Job(BMW 318Ci) by erico2k2(m): 11:08pm On Apr 26, 2015
put everything back making sure you do not put grease on the disk,screw the sliding pins back as there are two in each calipers plus don't forget to put back the covers on the sliding pin grove and it will look like this

Re: Brake Pad Job(BMW 318Ci) by erico2k2(m): 11:11pm On Apr 26, 2015
you can then put back Tyre,guide and tighten your log nuts,remove jack and jack stands, wash your hands and have a beer grin grin grin grin grin
NB, No Hydrolic was spilled in this job grin grin
Re: Brake Pad Job(BMW 318Ci) by Nobody: 11:51pm On Apr 26, 2015
Excellent.

Add a brake caliper piston compressor tool to your job.

Re: Brake Pad Job(BMW 318Ci) by erico2k2(m): 2:26pm On Apr 27, 2015
CityNG:
Excellent.

Add a brake caliper piston compressor tool to your job.
willl do thankx boss
Re: Brake Pad Job(BMW 318Ci) by Nobody: 1:52am On Apr 29, 2015
Nice one
Re: Brake Pad Job(BMW 318Ci) by erico2k2(m): 10:26am On May 18, 2015
cne010:
Nice one
thanks
Re: Brake Pad Job(BMW 318Ci) by ricki: 7:04pm On May 23, 2015
i tried to do this simple procedure to my car recently and it ended costing me over £110 least. i actually kaput the the braking system. i forgot to remove the lid off the reservoir tank and thus find it extremely hard to roll the piston back. Due to inexperience i was using the hand brke and the brake itself while working the caliper and the piston shoots out with all the fluid. stupid me

Very simple job but I manage to mess it up. i had to go buy a used caliper and fluid then gave it to a rip_off mechanic that thinks he is got me backed into a corner.

While feeling sober and regretful about the unnecessary spending I checked my naija account and voila 50k paid in by some dude. happy again

I will never give up cause practice makes perfect.

grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Brake Pad Job(BMW 318Ci) by erico2k2(m): 8:28pm On May 23, 2015
ricki:
i tried to do this simple procedure to my car recently and it ended costing me over £110 least. i actually kaput the the braking system. i forgot to remove the lid off the reservoir tank and thus find it extremely hard to roll the piston back. Due to inexperience i was using the hand brke and the brake itself while working the caliper and the piston shoots out with all the fluid. stupid me

Very simple job but I manage to mess it up. i had to go buy a used caliper and fluid then gave it to a rip_off mechanic that thinks he is got me backed into a corner.

While feeling sober and regretful about the unnecessary spending I checked my naija account and voila 50k paid in by some dude. happy again

I will never give up cause practice makes perfect.

grin grin grin grin

ahah bro I glad you learnt a thing or two,but at least you can smile about it now.
Re: Brake Pad Job(BMW 318Ci) by Nobody: 9:22pm On Sep 25, 2020
Nice D.I.Y

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Should I Wind Down The Window Or Use The Air Con To Save Fuel In Hot Weather? / Mark Zuckerberg At Michigan Ford Plant, Assembles Ford F-150(Photos). / What's This "Full Option" People Talk About?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.