Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,811 members, 7,862,684 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 11:27 PM

Reps Speaker: Gbajabiamila Writes 360 Members Over Ambition - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reps Speaker: Gbajabiamila Writes 360 Members Over Ambition (538 Views)

Gbajabiamila Writes Chinese Leader•’fayose’s Letter Amounts To Sabotage’ / Gbajabiamila Writes Dogara, Accuses Him Of Undermining Principal Officers / Caption This Photo Of House Of Reps Speaker, Yakubu Dogara In Action (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Reps Speaker: Gbajabiamila Writes 360 Members Over Ambition by wallex1983(m): 6:05am On Apr 28, 2015
The minority leader of the House of Representatives and member representing Sululere Federal Constituency 1of Lagos State, Hon. Femi Gbajabiamila, has formally disclosed his aspiration to contest for the office of the House Speaker in the incoming 8th Assembly.

In a letter of intent dated April 24 written by Gbajabiamila and addressed to all the 360 members-elect of the House, a copy of which was exclusively obtained by LEADERSHIP yesterday, he said he was “humbly” putting himself forward as their candidate for the position of Speaker of the 8th House of Representatives.

He listed his personal achievements in the House spanning 12 years of his sojourn in the Lower Chamber of the National Assembly since 2003, adding that some of his undertakings were even carried out in the face of imminent danger to his life.

Although Gbajabiamila is being touted as favourite candidate for the top job of the House, he however called for total support from his new and old colleagues in the incoming House, urging them to put aside all sentiments for his track record and length of service to the nation in the House.

“I have been in the House for 12 years now, and 8 of those years as the Minority Leader, doing my best with the support of other members of the House to build a vibrant and accountable legislature and legislative process, sometimes at the risk of life.

“Having worked with 4 Speakers and as I prepare for my fourth term, I will be one of the few members with the longest service in the House. I encourage you to see me as a steadying hand, a custodian of institutional history and a strong bridge builder between the House and the Executive.

“As we usher in a new era in Nigerian politics, (an era of accountable governance), it is my hope that with my vast experience in the House you will consider me worthy to serve as your Speaker,” he said.

The lawmaker noted that he has always put the interest of Nigeria in the forefront, adding that he led the fight against the infamous 3rd Term agenda in the House by former President Olusegun Obasanjo in 2007, and filed several law suits challenging Executive lawleness, amongst others.

He said that his pedigree as a lawyer in two jurisdictions and over 30 years in legal practice, as well as his “extensive network” will be put to good use in ensuring members can keep their place in the hearts of Nigerians as the ‘People’s House’, adding that his focus would be a conscious rebranding of the House as the symbol of democracy.

“As Speaker, I promise that I, with you as colleagues and partners, will maintain and strengthen the trust between the people and the House. Just as I have always tried to reflect the wishes and aspirations of my constituents, I intend to work tirelessly to ensure a House where your wellbeing will be priority and where your capacity to meet the aspirations of all your constituents will be strengthened.

“As my brothers and sisters, I cannot do this without your full support and hope that you will put aside all sentiments, examine my track record, my length of service in the House and rest on the understanding that your interest and our nation’s interest will be my focus,” Gbajabiamila added.

http://247nigerianewsupdate.co/reps-speaker-gbajabiamila-writes-360-members-over-ambition/

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Presidency To APC: You Can’t Stampede Jonathan Out Of Office / Okonjo-iweala Was The Prime Minister / Buhari’s Ministers, Lawmakers To Get N9bn Housing, Furniture Allowance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.