Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,981 members, 7,817,892 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:10 PM

PDP Releases Press Statement On AIT Ban, Says It's Dangerous For Democracy - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PDP Releases Press Statement On AIT Ban, Says It's Dangerous For Democracy (28968 Views)

Rivers Rerun: PDP Releases Photos, Alleges FG Doles Out Billions To APC Rivers / PDP Releases Official Statement On Audu's Death / PDP Releases List Of Key Members Allegedly Marked For Death By APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: PDP Releases Press Statement On AIT Ban, Says It's Dangerous For Democracy by Amanwulu1(m): 2:26pm On Apr 28, 2015
kastonkastrol:
ait should even be grateful that buhari only barred them from covering his events with all the hate campaign they embarked against him before the election.

If buhari was a bad person,AIT by now will be shut down.. Freedom of press doesn't translate to throwing journalism ethics to the dogs.
ignorance if I must say.
Re: PDP Releases Press Statement On AIT Ban, Says It's Dangerous For Democracy by Yomboy4ever(m): 2:27pm On Apr 28, 2015
You wish me dead !
You criticize my religion !
Called me a terrorist !
You painted me black !
You called me a failure !
Now you wana cover my success
Lailai ko possible

2 Likes

Re: PDP Releases Press Statement On AIT Ban, Says It's Dangerous For Democracy by stronger: 2:29pm On Apr 28, 2015
LOL. . PDP taking last since 1001. .

Eeya. . FFK is too busy with his yellow concubine. . he would have released a disgusting statement IMMEDIATELY! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: PDP Releases Press Statement On AIT Ban, Says It's Dangerous For Democracy by Nobody: 2:29pm On Apr 28, 2015
kastonkastrol:
ait should even be grateful that buhari only barred them from covering his events with all the hate campaign they embarked against him before the election.

If buhari was a bad person,AIT by now will be shut down.. Freedom of press doesn't translate to throwing journalism ethics to the dogs.
buhari can go to court if he feels insulted..he cannot take laws into his hand as if we are in military era..
u have to get that into ur head too
Re: PDP Releases Press Statement On AIT Ban, Says It's Dangerous For Democracy by strongerthaneva(m): 2:31pm On Apr 28, 2015
naija2dabone:
"Let me re-affirm that under the Jonathan presidency, your views, no matter how freely express, will not send you into prison or into exile". ‪#‎GEJMYHERO‬
u not sensing at all..why not let AIT or TVC try spoiling jonathan image cos or wishing him death prior to election cos Of 10billionaire if jonathan or asari dokubo won't do worst to them even Dem go don close down by now..i swear buhari haven't done worst.if am in his position AIT will be like gunners cos that's politics..Who u support u follow..
Re: PDP Releases Press Statement On AIT Ban, Says It's Dangerous For Democracy by FOREXMARTS: 2:31pm On Apr 28, 2015
Islie:

Press statement from the PDP on AIT ban, which the APC has since lifted..
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has described as unacceptable the Monday’s directive by the President-elect, Gen. Muhammadu Buhari to bar a television house, the AIT, from covering his activities, saying the suppression of the media under any guise portends danger for the nation’s democracy.
PDP National Publicity Secretary, Olisa Metuh in a statement on Tuesday said that after carefully studying the defence posited by General Buhari’s campaign spokesperson as well as the smokescreen statement by the APC to cover and mitigate his anti-media posture, the PDP and indeed all lovers of democracy are persuaded that the action was not only unjustifiable, but also unconstitutional and completely against the spirit of liberty and the rule of law in a democracy.

He said “the PDP as a party that have nurtured the nation’s democracy in the past 16 years cannot afford to fold its hands and watch the constitutional rights, media freedom and personal liberty of Nigerians, the basic tenets of democracy being demolished.

“We ask, is this a beginning of the feared erosion of the freedom and personal liberty the media and Nigerian citizens have been enjoying in the last 16 years under the PDP led-administration? Has our dear nation finally fallen into the clutches of totalitarianism and impunity where government actions will based on egocentric decisions and impulses of individuals rather than the rule of law?

“While we assure the President-elect of our resolve to run a mature and responsible opposition based on issues, we are disturbed by this emerging development and reassure the Nigerian people that we will continue to stand with them on issues of democracy and freedom at all times.

“Perhaps, we need to remind General Buhari that part of the challenge of his new position, even as President-elect is that he has lost his private life which is now subject to public scrutiny and media interrogation, as required of the custodian of the mandate of the Nigerian people.

“The PDP is not oblivious of the background of the President-elect especially as it relates to the freedom of the media, but we had thought that having declared to be a converted democrat, he would make himself amenable to the basic principles of democracy by following the due process of the law on any circumstance.

“General Buhari may also wish to be reminded that the Nigerian constitution upon which provisions he emerged President-elect, also gave the media powers to cover activities of public office holders while at the same time providing legal avenues for redress in the event of any violation. If the right of the President-elect was in anyway violated by the AIT or any media house for that matter, he is expected to act within the law and seek redress in the courts otherwise one would have no option than to conclude that he is out for personal vendetta.

“The APC and the President-elect may have one or two lessons to pick from President Goodluck Jonathan, who though the most maligned and abused President in the history of our nation, even by the APC, allowed his actions to be sufficiently guided by humility, tolerance and the rule of law”, the PDP said.

The party called on Nigerians not to despair but remain steadfast and unite in resisting any anti-democratic tendencies intended to instill fear in them and set the stage for a dictatorial order and the erosion of their personal freedom and liberty as citizens, which they have been enjoying in the last 16 years under the PDP.

Signed:
Olisa Metuh
National Publicity Secretary

This new opposition office go sweet die. While they keep the government on their toes, the masses will enjoy development, and it's not like the opposition are saints tho. These squabbles needs to continue so that the masses benefit. Opposition screams "ehhhhhhh apc no wan do that express way", to prove pdp wrong apc starts the expressway masses benefit. "Ahhhh Buhari bans ait", apc lifts the ban to prove them wrong. "yeahhhhhhhhkpaaa, health sector is bad",apc springs into action. Abeg make the rivalries continue. The streets are watching.
Re: PDP Releases Press Statement On AIT Ban, Says It's Dangerous For Democracy by shino62: 2:31pm On Apr 28, 2015
major466:

where did the AIT documentary claimed that Buhari killed his wife and daughter
FYI - i watched the documentary.
No, you didn't. ait made a far damning documentary than what is reported here, its unfortunate.
Re: PDP Releases Press Statement On AIT Ban, Says It's Dangerous For Democracy by emekaxy: 2:32pm On Apr 28, 2015
Metuh,
will certainly do well in this his new role as opposition spokes man.
lmao
Re: PDP Releases Press Statement On AIT Ban, Says It's Dangerous For Democracy by stronger: 2:32pm On Apr 28, 2015
MrBasketball:
Na AIT i pity pass wey wan copy clueless PDP. sad

As innnnnn. . anyone that works, in AIT, this will be a good time to just dust CV!

They are going down! grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: PDP Releases Press Statement On AIT Ban, Says It's Dangerous For Democracy by Eluwilussit(m): 2:33pm On Apr 28, 2015
kastonkastrol:

'By now', how? He's not the C-in-C yet. Use your head sometimes.
Re: PDP Releases Press Statement On AIT Ban, Says It's Dangerous For Democracy by nkemdi89(f): 2:33pm On Apr 28, 2015
As a private owned television, they collect jobs from every individual or organisations as long they for their service. Nbc as regulatory body should have looked into their activities since they allegedly failed to look into it AIT hasn't done anything wrong.
Re: PDP Releases Press Statement On AIT Ban, Says It's Dangerous For Democracy by Nobody: 2:34pm On Apr 28, 2015
otijah:
Sorry to say this, Buhari didn't come for CHANGE he came for REVENGE.
Definitely he will waste 4years fighting his enemies
You have already failed, enemy of progress
Re: PDP Releases Press Statement On AIT Ban, Says It's Dangerous For Democracy by Myself2(m): 2:34pm On Apr 28, 2015
naija2dabone:
"Let me re-affirm that under the Jonathan presidency, your views, no matter how freely express, will not send you into prison or into exile". ‪#‎GEJMYHERO‬

The sick old tyrant does not yet know what he has asked for,he prolly thought this was back in the dark days of military dictatorship where he could gag,jail,hound and kill journalists.It's a new day Mr Buhari,you will CHANGE by force grin grin grin grin
Re: PDP Releases Press Statement On AIT Ban, Says It's Dangerous For Democracy by superstar1(m): 2:34pm On Apr 28, 2015
Yomboy4ever:
You wish me dead !
You criticize my religion !
Called me a terrorist !
You painted me black !
You called me a failure !
Now you wana cover my success
Lailai ko possible

This is the koko of the gist.
Re: PDP Releases Press Statement On AIT Ban, Says It's Dangerous For Democracy by superstar1(m): 2:35pm On Apr 28, 2015
nkemdi89:
As a private owned television, they collect jobs from every individual or organisations as long they for their service. Nbc as regulatory body should have looked into their activities since they allegedly failed to look into it AIT hasn't done anything wrong.

Really?

Doesn't GMB have the right to determine who he wants in his private space either?
Re: PDP Releases Press Statement On AIT Ban, Says It's Dangerous For Democracy by FOREXMARTS: 2:36pm On Apr 28, 2015
This new opposition office go sweet die. While they keep the government on their toes, the masses will enjoy development, and it's not like the opposition are saints tho. These squabbles needs to continue so that the masses benefit. Opposition screams "ehhhhhhh apc no wan do that express way", to prove pdp wrong apc starts the expressway masses benefit. "Ahhhh Buhari bans ait", apc lifts the ban to prove them wrong. "yeahhhhhhhhkpaaa, health sector is bad",apc springs into action. Abeg make the rivalries continue. The streets are watching
Re: PDP Releases Press Statement On AIT Ban, Says It's Dangerous For Democracy by Olaolufred(m): 2:38pm On Apr 28, 2015
jchima14:
[size=18pt]BUHARI YET TO BECOME PRESIDENT OFFICIALLY BARS AIT, AFTER BECOMING PRESIDENT HE WOULD WITHHOLD EKITI STATE MONEY CAUSE OF WHAT FAYOSE SAID DURING ELECTION OR EVEN ORDER HIS ARREST[/size]

ALL HAIL DICTATOR BUHARI

[size=18pt]JUST LIKE PDP UNDER OBASANJO WITHHELD LAGOS MONEY FOR 3.5 YEARS.

I CAN REMEMBER.
[/size]

1 Like

Re: PDP Releases Press Statement On AIT Ban, Says It's Dangerous For Democracy by Myself2(m): 2:38pm On Apr 28, 2015
xjet:

buhari can go to court if he feels insulted..he cannot take laws into his hand as if we are in military era..

Tell him
Re: PDP Releases Press Statement On AIT Ban, Says It's Dangerous For Democracy by Nobody: 2:39pm On Apr 28, 2015
nsyforreal:

oga, do u know Nigerians clamour for freedom of information and press and we got it.if buhari wants to last he must obey it too.we are in a democratic society.
Jonathan had no choice than to respect it.

am not a politician but a critic of govt.am the number one critic of Jonathan useless government but buhari must respect freedom of information if not his govt will be disgraced too.

we are all praying for buhari to succeed cos we voted for him but the ait thing is a mistake from him.he should be advised by all including your humbleself sir to retrace his steps immediately cos no democratic president should shut down any press.

I rest my case.
buhari is the president-elect and not the president officially. He has rights to his private life for the time being just like AIT and other media outlets doesn't have any right to invade his private life if he doesn't like that. Buhari can barr any media outlet if he doesn't want them around him because he is still a private citizen and not a public one.

So sir don't bother your head about buharii's clampdown of media outlets when he Has been constitutionally sworn in as the president because he won't have time for such. The damage done by Jonathan wouldn't give him such time

May God bless our president elect
May God bless our country Nigeria
Re: PDP Releases Press Statement On AIT Ban, Says It's Dangerous For Democracy by FOREXMARTS: 2:40pm On Apr 28, 2015
Olaolufred:

[size=18pt]JUST LIKE PDP UNDER OBASANJO WITHHELD LAGOS MONEY FOR 3.5 YEARS.

I CAN REMEMBER.
[/size]

Lol so it's tit for tat now? I thought we are progressives abi i need the changed and updated manifesto of my party ni? I go tear my card oh (lol e never reach like that yet).

1 Like

Re: PDP Releases Press Statement On AIT Ban, Says It's Dangerous For Democracy by rabimlomo: 2:42pm On Apr 28, 2015
naija2dabone:

What about the aljazeera journalists that were arrested during his regime?
Re: PDP Releases Press Statement On AIT Ban, Says It's Dangerous For Democracy by Nobody: 2:45pm On Apr 28, 2015
xjet:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Which law be dat? every clown don turn professor for nairaland grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

On top say he excercised his fundamental human right. Right not to invite AIT to him thingy. grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: PDP Releases Press Statement On AIT Ban, Says It's Dangerous For Democracy by Nobody: 2:46pm On Apr 28, 2015
Eluwilussit:

'By now', how? He's not the C-in-C yet. Use your head sometimes.
maybe you are undermining the powers of the president-elect
Re: PDP Releases Press Statement On AIT Ban, Says It's Dangerous For Democracy by anwo247: 2:46pm On Apr 28, 2015
People Shd Be Prepared To Be With This Mallam One Chance for 4yrs
Re: PDP Releases Press Statement On AIT Ban, Says It's Dangerous For Democracy by Coolcash1: 2:47pm On Apr 28, 2015
Metuh has shown that he has gone through refresher course on opposition organized by lai Mohammed of the APC...he is just trying out his new role has spokesperson for ruling turned opposition party.

GMB we dey solidly behind you....carry go joor
Re: PDP Releases Press Statement On AIT Ban, Says It's Dangerous For Democracy by tete7000(m): 2:47pm On Apr 28, 2015
superstar1:
PDP should tell us why GEJ's

1. Confiscation of newspaper publications

2. Beating of reporters

3. Unjust arrest of Aljazeera journalists

were not dangerous for democracy then?

That Jonathan did something wrong, does that mean Buhari should replicate the wrongdoing? Buhari was voted in on the mantra of anti corruption, he is expected to right the wrongs of GEJ administration. If he follows the same path GEJ threaded, why vote for him then? Why don't we just continue with GEJ?
Re: PDP Releases Press Statement On AIT Ban, Says It's Dangerous For Democracy by prettyboi1(m): 2:48pm On Apr 28, 2015
I hate it when these PDP people carelessly use the word "impunity". If they really want to know the meaning of impunity, let them look back at Jonathan's administration and they would understand the real meaning of that word without having to use any dictionary.

God Bless Nigeria.
Re: PDP Releases Press Statement On AIT Ban, Says It's Dangerous For Democracy by Olaolufred(m): 2:49pm On Apr 28, 2015
FOREXMARTS:

Lol so it's tit for tat now? I thought we are progressives abi i need the changed and updated manifesto of my party ni? I go tear my card oh (lol e never reach like that yet).

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: PDP Releases Press Statement On AIT Ban, Says It's Dangerous For Democracy by superstar1(m): 2:50pm On Apr 28, 2015
tete7000:

That Jonathan did something wrong, does that mean Buhari should replicate the wrongdoing? Buhari was voted in on the mantra of anti corruption, he is expected to right the wrongs of GEJ administration. If he follows the same path GEJ threaded, why vote for him then? Why don't we just continue with GEJ?

What is wrong in GMB barring an unprofessional media house from his private space?

For goodness sake, it is his private space till May 29.

Wonders shall never end!! In the wake of the NNPC report, there is a soul that feels GEJ is worthy to be his president. The case of that soul is that of the biblical "lost soul"

Simple.
Re: PDP Releases Press Statement On AIT Ban, Says It's Dangerous For Democracy by phransix147(m): 2:50pm On Apr 28, 2015
Of what importance is this AIT sef? A station where their news has been re-edited, interviews are staged managed interview questions have been given to whom they want to interview, workers are being owed. The management is a greedy one, running a family business instead of media outfit. They deserved to be banned not barred sef rubbish!

Pls don't quote me am also expressing my freedom of information
Re: PDP Releases Press Statement On AIT Ban, Says It's Dangerous For Democracy by Nobody: 2:53pm On Apr 28, 2015
kastonkastrol:

Likes of you prove that education is a waste.
Re: PDP Releases Press Statement On AIT Ban, Says It's Dangerous For Democracy by softrise: 2:53pm On Apr 28, 2015
otijah:
Sorry to say this, Buhari didn't come for CHANGE he came for REVENGE.
Definitely he will waste 4years fighting his enemies
GBam!!! And the poor masses will continue to suffer

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Massive Crowds Welcome Akpabio To Akwa Ibom As He Returns From Enugu / Mohammed Abubakar Wins Best Governor Of The Year On Urban Renewal / Atiku: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Should Elect Me President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.