Stats: 3,160,596 members, 7,843,898 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 12:30 PM

8 Controversial Beliefs People Have About Lawyers - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 8 Controversial Beliefs People Have About Lawyers (1121 Views)

Top 10 Richest Lawyers In Nigeria 2017 - Law Repository Nigeria / 13 Hidden Secrets Lawyers Won’t Tell Their Client / Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why (2) (3) (4)

8 Controversial Beliefs People Have About Lawyers by ogalawyer(m): 7:20pm On Apr 28, 2015
Do you know that there are really weird and controversy-ridden beliefs most people
have about lawyers, especially in this part of the world. Interestingly, despite this
air of controversy surrounding the profession, it is still the toast of many. Listed
below are some of these beliefs and why people have them.

1. Lawyers Are Liars.
This might just be the most popular view about lawyers by most people. Some
hold this view jokingly, while others take it so seriously. Lawyers are seen as a
bunch of folks who will argue a black colour into a white colour. They are seen as
people who will thwart the obvious truth, and leave you wondering why. People
believe that the singular reason why they do that is for their selfish interest, that
is, to win cases for their client; which will invariably bring money into their pocket.
Huh? Is that true or false? I guess you will have to answer that yourself.

2. Lawyers Are Proud .
There we go again... Most people see lawyers as always being dull of themselves,
especially the female lawyers. I often hear some guys say they detest going out
with ladies that are lawyers because they are haughty. Are you kidding me? Could
it be that it’s not them that is the problem, but you? You know that poor self-
image problem thing? Okay am not holding brief for anybody, I was actually
thinking out loud. This belief is in no way gender discriminatory, as their male
counterpart also have their own share of the belief. By the way, that title we claim
exclusive right to- ‘Learned’ doesn't even help matters. Law students are not even
spared of this belief.
Whether it is because people are intimidated by lawyers, and so think of them as
being proud is a question I usually ask myself in a bid to unravel this perception.
Are lawyers truly a proud people, or is it just a misconception informed by a
myriad of prejudices? Or is it a question of them being a victim of a profession
that has a way of placing you, even without your consent, in a position where you
are most likely going to be misunderstood? What do you think?

3. Lawyers Aid Criminals.
As far as most people are concerned, they don’t understand why a lawyer will opt
to defend a person that duped, assaulted or caused them one harm or the other.
And the fact that sometimes these people get to walk away free compounds their
confusion. Now somebody needs to explain this whole thing to them. Will they
understand if explained to? We will find out soon.

4. Lawyers Feed on the Misfortune of People.
Well, I think it all boils down to perception. While some see them as problem
solvers, others see them as living off other people’s troubles. A lawyer handling a
divorce case might be seen as making money out of a home that is about to be
torn apart, and not bothered about it. Somehow you just get to always see lawyers
in the middle of people’s troubles. Whether they are there to help or to complicate
issues depends on who you ask.

5. Lawyers Speak Big Grammar
They will always want to show off that they are lawyers by using big words even
when simpler ones will do, some have also argued. Okay maybe it’s not their
fault; maybe it’s just that people have refused to grow their vocabulary. Huh?
Okay am not sure of that, but it’s a possibility too; am just saying.

6. Lawyers Always Think They Know it All.
Of course they know it all! Aren't they the only learned ones around? Isn't that
what it means to be learned? They are ready to argue you to death to prove they
have a more valid point than you, which sometimes make them come off as
obnoxious. Hey, those are not my own views, but I’m pretty sure that wouldn't be
too different from the view most people hold about them. It is not in doubt that
the profession has a way of attracting people who love talking, I mean the parrots
that are highly opinionated; but remember also that lawyers are trained to argue
too. But what is in doubt is whether they go around with that air of arrogance and
perfection in presenting their views even while having just a simple conversation
with friends.

7. Lawyers Are Unnecessarily Expensive.
Just to draft a simple demand letter they charge you in thousands, they say.
Simple? If it’s that simple why didn't you draft it yourself in the first place? Okay
now am sounding like am holding brief for the lawyers, but I can’t help it when
people talk like that. Some people believe that lawyers get to charge way beyond
what they are supposed to charge. They just believe that they are too expensive,
that sometimes the poor cannot even afford them. How about doctors, are they
unnecessarily expensive too?

8. Lawyers Are Tools in the Hands of the Rich.
A poor man gets into trouble, its either he can’t afford a lawyer, or he can’t afford
a good one, and so he goes in for it. A rich man gets into a similar or maybe a
bigger trouble, he hires the best of lawyers around and they simply get him off the
hook. Now you see why people think of lawyers as simply being one of the
weapons in the armory of the rich?
Truth is, the list is not exhaustive. To prove that, just try sampling people’s opinion
on what they think of lawyers and you will be dazed. Let’s hear what your thoughts are on this.

http://threelegals.com/index.php/home/k2-tags/opinion/item/234-8-controversial-beliefs-people-have-about-lawyers

Re: 8 Controversial Beliefs People Have About Lawyers by Nobody: 7:21pm On Apr 28, 2015
No 1 is very true na. Haba, bros you check am na shocked
Re: 8 Controversial Beliefs People Have About Lawyers by ogalawyer(m): 7:32pm On Apr 28, 2015
himkers:
No 1 is very true na. Haba, bros you check am na shocked
lolz..I do not completely agree with you. Though some lawyers outrightly tell lies, which is unethical and prohibited by the Rules of Professional Conduct, some do not. The veracity of a fact depends to a great extent on perception, thus what may seem white to you may be black to someone else. Remember the blue-gold dress that caused a storm on social media. Lawyers only try to propound arguments in support of their 'perceptions', which may not necessarily be acceptable to the layman. Sometimes 'white' may turn out to be 'black' or any shade of colour in between. All you need is enough evidence to ground your postulations.
Re: 8 Controversial Beliefs People Have About Lawyers by Moslaw: 7:56pm On Apr 28, 2015

Chemistry/indurtrial Chemistry Both Graduate And Undergraduate Should Enter Here / 2016 Empowerment Workshop On Blog And E-business / Procedures To Register For Nigerian Immigration Service Recruitment (nis), 2017.