Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,436 members, 7,815,991 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:59 PM

Why Banks Allow Robbers To Steal Their Money – Okiro - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Banks Allow Robbers To Steal Their Money – Okiro (644 Views)

Hackers Steal N8m From Osinbajo’s Bank Account / What Robbers Did To A Nairalander's Sister's New Shop (Picture) / Reasons Why Banks Won’t Give You Loan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Banks Allow Robbers To Steal Their Money – Okiro by JJYOU: 3:37pm On Feb 03, 2009
[size=18pt] Why banks allow robbers to steal their money[/size] – Okiro
By Olusola Fabiyi, Abuja
Published: Tuesday, 3 Feb 2009

The Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Mike Okiro, on Monday said that banks in the country did not care about security in their banks because of the insurance cover they had taken on their cash.
Skip to next paragraph
click to expand image
Photo file

Inspector-General of Police, Mike Okiro

Okiro, who stated this at a meeting with banks’ executives in Abuja, lamented that out of the 24 executives expected at the meeting, only 13 attended.

He said that their refusal to attend the meeting showed their lackadaisical attitude towards security matters in their operations.

The visibly angry IGP said that the bank executives believed that even if their money was stolen, they would always get it back through insurance.

But he wondered if the lives of policemen who were always victims during bank robberies would get their lives back.

Though he did not say what would happen to the banks that refused to send their representatives to the meeting, Okiro said he would get their names and take necessary action.

He said, “I am surprised that out of the 24 commercial banks operating in Nigeria, only 13 showed up, that is like half. That shows the level of commitment to security in the banks.

“I do know that banks insure their money and that has been the problem. They insure their money and they don’t care even if the money is stolen by robbers. The insurance companies will pay.

“But the question they are supposed to ask themselves is: no matter the amount paid them by insurance, does it cover the human life lost? Does it cover the lives of police officers? What of the lives of bank workers? The lives of customers who come to banks to transact business? The insurance does not cover them.

“The turnout here shows the kind of interest they have in providing the security in the banks. It is unfortunate that banks will not care about their security. They want to make profit, they want to make money.

“Even if they do not care about security, if a particular bank is open and prone to regular attacks, definitely customers will pull out their money from there.”

Comments:

* Fred From Ireland, You chat nonsense. Who is in a better today Okiro or Mallam Nuhu Begger Ribadu? Look at how Ribadu life has turned out, no money, no pension. Who would u like to be like Okiro or Ribadu??

Posted by: Ibori De-Thief , on Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Report this comment

* Okiro is a complete failure to the NPF.Just few months to his retirement he decided to summon bank executives to Abuja for security meeting or briefing. Where have you been since last year when armed robbers were killing hundreds of customers, bank officials and improperly equipped police officers,You were busy planning on how to get rid of Ribadu from the NPF on behalf of Ibori de thief and other corrupt ex-governors. I am not surprised half of the bank executives did not turn up.Go & retire

Posted by: Fred From Ireland , on Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Report this comment

* Miss Southeast, I have not criticised the name u have chosen so get the point. 1st, go and learn your spellings. It is Brain and not BRIAN. As Ibori, he is one of the greatest Nigerians and Governors. He is so wealthy that he will never finish his money until he dies. People talk nonsense about him it does not affect him. Where is ur Ribadu today? Stupid Ribadu could not even afford a plane ticket. Ribadu is beg for money today. Who is in a better position today - Ibori or Ribadu?

Report this comment

* Lol!!!ibori-de thief-chairman! U make me laugh!U ARE THE ONE WITH NO BRIAN and you know y? because all u do here is pick a sentence from pple's statements and use it against them for no reason. Tufiakwa yadda yadda! It's quite unfortunate but just confess u didn't understand the rest of my comments asides the sentence.Or do u want me to explain mockery for u?? LOL!

Posted by: Miss Southeast , on Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Report this comment

* Miss Southeast is extremely stupid. I chose the name to show everyone that Ibori rules. No matter what anybody says Ibori controls Nigeria and will continue to control Nigeria. So, forget the name for now. The fact is that u have no meaningful contribution to make apart from "the western world will laugh". Stupid Woman with no brain.

Report this comment

* When there seem to be some hope; people like "easterner" make you loose hope completely. Where does ethnicity fit into this? This guy must be as daft as the IG.

Posted by: olumba-olumba , on Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Report this comment

* Want to know why the bank chiefs didn't show up, Mr IG? How about opening saharareporters.com, and read the article: IG Mike Okiro and Sons PLC? The reason ur subordinates, and perhaps everyone else in this country, don't give much value to ur command/wishes is cos, everyone knows how corrupt you are. Why wld serious bank chiefs waste their time in a fruitless meeting wt u when they have better things to do wt their time, when they know you'll only be interested in serious 'egunje' from them?

Posted by: Ade King , on Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Report this comment

* Okiro is airing a problem that you have never heard in your life!!do u come from a no man's land? His only problem is that half d executives didn't turn up in d meeting. Insurance is not enough - so what?? WELL-BEING and security of Nigerians is d reason he holds d post, not collabo with IBORI. I'm refering to you IBORI DE THIEF - imagine d name u use here! haba! if that's d only thing u could pick from my statement then so be it! yadda yadda.lol

Report this comment

* Ibori de thief, U r just as your name says, 'D theif!'go and collaborate with your Ibori Fraudulent organisation and stop attcking pple here with ur disgusting statements. If you've got nothing meaningful to add, leave d forum cause ur presence here make no difference ;-( ewu!

Report this comment

* Although I am not a fan of the IG, it's obviously irresponsible of the banks' chief executives not to, at least, send representatives to that meeting. Security is everyone's business and as a professional auditor, I know banks have a lot to contribute (not just money!)to ensure safety in their premises.Police have always maintained that many cases of bank robberies have always been possible by informantion supplied by insiders. Banks should learn to be responsible corportate citizens.

Posted by: Kudos , on Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Report this comment

* okinba launko; You are just a frustrated tribalist, knowing that the big man is from the east it makes no sence to you that he will be the #1 police officer, there is nothing wrong when he says the true position, it is all about financial Lords that form the bulk of lobbyist in nigeria refusing to do the right thing. you probably might be previlaged Mallam that is not in the bush with your cattle , so the real order of things in the real world got you confused as is always the case.

Posted by: easterner , on Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Report this comment

* it is a known-fact that no bank ever care about their customers. they only care about the money to be deposited their banks.if lives of the customers couldn't be secured, i think people should think of another means of keeping their money and thus having same or better value.in financial market, banks are not the only places were money can be guarrantte.banks have become threats to lives

Posted by: Aruna Ibrahim , on Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Report this comment

* sir,sir mike okiro,aparently they know it will dovetail into them contributing into a kind of security fund which obviously they have been doing for God knows how long.moreover,you may have some of your wards you want to give employment to.or rather if you visit olopa something must drop.plz,sir go and cry somewhere else.it was back in the days that olopa is used to intimidate small children into orderliness not anymore.then u collected samco from them,we now know y.

Posted by: yomi , on Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Report this comment

* the enormous stupidity of Mr Okiro's comments can only be surpassed by the size of the danger this loose cannon constitutes to peace and security in Nigeria. When a no 1 police officer begins to blame crime victims for being victims then you can begin to understand why we have the type of police force we have in Nigeria today. Given his comments it's apparent that Mr Okiro is not fit to occupy the position of Inspector General of any right thinking police force

Posted by: okinba launko , on Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Report this comment

* Dr M U Bello, Why not all that you listed be given to all Nigerian workers? Why just to the Police?

Report this comment

* Dr M U Bello, Why not all that you listed be given to all Nigerian workers? Why just to the Police?

Report this comment

* PEOPLE SHOULD NOT YARB OKIRO AFTERALL THERE IS POPULAR SAYING THAT "USE WHAT YOU HAVE TO GET WHAT YOU WANT" U KNOW OKIRO WILL SOON RE-TIRE?HE WANTS TO BEG FOR SECURITY MANAGER POST IN ONE OF THE BANKS AFTER RETIREMENT,BUT UNFORTUNATELY THE BANKS HE LIKE DID NOT SHOW UP.THAT WAS WHY HE FUMED.

Posted by: DEJI , on Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Report this comment

* yes Okiro has right to call a meeting considering the escalating bullion van armed robberies.The policing of nigeria is not shown the right seriiousness as done in other countries.We expect better remunerations and salary for officers and better housing and insurance for policemen.The officers need proper trainning and equipment.The are not supermen.the manpower is low too and the need a new leadership and reorientation.the govt shuld be alarmed too.

Posted by: Dr mu Bello , on Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Report this comment

* This bloody Miss Southeast does not quite realise what century she lives in. All she suggests in every comment is about cover-up, "don't say this in public", "don't say that in public", they will laugh at you yadda yadda. Has Miss Southeast never heard that 'a problem aired is a problem solved'? Miss Southeast is as backward as they come.

Report this comment

* Okiro is an arse hole. Rank and File don't respect; Bankers don't respect him; general public don't respect him. Anyway, who would listen to him when his full-time job is with IBORI Fraudulent Activities Incorporated

Posted by: Mgbemena 4 Deputy Gov , on Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Report this comment

* Insurance by banks is a 'cover-up' for lack of training and equipping the Nigerian police -unfortunately.But don't balme d man - he is following d same trend his ancestors has left for him! Okiro,pls don't say such things in public,other nations will use it as a mockery against U.Ur men are not competent n d banks have taken a step further by insuring d money of their customers!hence d low turnup of executives.They don't trust u and ur work because it's cost them lives of workers/cutomers 4 yrs!

Report this comment

* I have read so many comments here and i cannot but wonder the kind of country Nigeria is.Many just open their mouths and vomit rubbish without using their brains.For the record,Nigeria is a country with 147 Million and a total population of 130,000 police men and women.Work out the ratio and reflect on what you get.Many tend to always want to compare our police force with that of other advance countries.This is equally senseless.What is the pay of a policeman in Nigeria?Is he covered by any

Posted by: WALE,USA , on Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Report this comment

* Okiro is an arse hole. Rank and File don't respect; Bankers don't respect him. Anyway, who would listen to him when his full-time job is with IBORI Incorporate.

Posted by: Mgbemena 4 Deputy Gov , on Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Report this comment

* Okiro has the right to invite banks executives for security meeting. Don't forget security is the duty of every citizens. Okiro is not a magician. He has population of Nigeria policemen to contend with. With a population of about 16 million, Metropolitan police has popultion of 7.2 million and covers 620 square metres while Nigeria Police covers 923,768 sq. km. Security's a sytem involving everybody and it's necessary for the banks to cough out money for its effectiveness.Okiro can't do it alone

Posted by: Olufemi Oyedele, London, UK , on Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Report this comment

* MR okiro,it,s a shame we nigerian thought you and your men are our friends,but not! what consign do you have to discourse issue with banks,when you can,t even save ordinary citizen in the slump,we don,t need ur security anymore but god wish,u and ur men is a shame to nigeria

Posted by: iyke ( home and abroad base nigeria) , on Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Report this comment

* Obviously that man is an idiot. How can he come out and say something like this? who is he? stupid illiterate. We are not secure in this country even as bank workers and they cannot secure the roads or anything and he is saying he wants to take action? he should take action against the robbers. Big IDIOT he is! When are we going to get people wit sense in public office?

Posted by: Beredugu , on Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Report this comment

* The IG was visibly angry and promised to take necessary actions the report says. What would this be? an arrest of these bankers, a withdrawal of the police attaches, what would an angry IG do. Has the IG exhibited due diligence with his utterances, has he portrayed discipline and character, most of all can we trust this man with our security. Most frightening, who can call him to order, no one in my books. The IG's act is very shameful, very shameful act indeed.

Posted by: Clement Low , on Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Report this comment

* The other day Okiro was complaining that his men does not respect his command, I'm asking why will they respect his command when his appointment was not based on merit! Police force has lost the little respect it has due to internal politics within police force. The issue of appointing IG should be left solely to police force to chose who they want to be there head, not by president and the so call police commission. This is just my opinion and it might not be right to some people. Good day!

Posted by: AMBROSE, from Guangzhou , on Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Report this comment

* It cant be the Inspector General of police in my country that is saying this.Someone is saying complete rubbish.

Posted by: olumba-olumba , on Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Report this comment

* Why do Bank managers need to attend meetings with Okiro before they can be guaranteed security?

Posted by: okechukwu , on Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Report this comment

* This is a high level of illiteracy. He wants to secure banks, when he hasn´t even secured our street & neighbourhood People die every second on the street, nobody cares. Count the numbs of accidental and criminal death in Nigeria for a month and also count to compare the numbers of death in Afganistan/Iraq. Dont be suprised of your outcome. Quality & Security of a dog life in the EU is higher than a Nigeria human life. Take it or leave it! So why suprise when oyinbo thinks we are just monkeys!

Posted by: ola, uk , on Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Report this comment

* Banks can never intentionally made themselves vunerable to attacks as most attacks always involve loss of lives.Mr Okiro, hope while addressing the Press, you were not under the influence of alcohol or other substances.Sometimes you made me laugh as most comments by you sometimes beggar belief.Banks can never trade their lives for insurance claims.Get this into your skull ok.

Posted by: abimbola kumapayi , on Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Report this comment

* Mr Okiro needs to be educated. Insurance companies are no father xmas. They do investigate the acts of crime, and if the crime is successful due to the negligence of the banks on their securities, they wont pay the bank a dime.So, the banks dont have a choice but to beef up their securities. The truth is the banks have no TRUST in you, Mr Okiro and your team of INCOMPETENT ROBBERS, oops, sorry officers

Posted by: The Parrot , on Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Report this comment

* It's quite sympathetic that our police men and women in Nigeria are made the scape goat for our misdoings. I have said it before and will continue to say it, that 'all cases of armed robbery in the banks are due to insiders' information'. I was in the bank before and I know some of the staff are criminals. At times when the fault has 'leaked', these criminals invite thieves to come and save their faces. Henceforth, banks should insure the life of their police attachees to the tune of N50 m each!

Posted by: Olufemi Oyedele , on Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Report this comment

* Here goes another senseless talk, it make you wonder if these people really engage their brains before going to press. A nation only get the kind of leadership she deserve through the people who represent them, this IG is a joke and so also his boss - ie Yar'Adua

Posted by: Kennedy , on Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Report this comment

* The IG of police Mr Mike Okiro should not be surprised if the banks ignored his call, because like many Nigerians they have no trust in Okiro and his police force. Statements like this from Mr Okiro is aimed at encouraging armed robbers to target banks,especially the ones that did not attend his meeting. Henceforth,those banks should hold Mr Okiro responsible if their banks become targets for the criminals. If the police force is really worth it's name,there will be no room for such tirade.

Posted by: lawrence ( France ) , on Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Report this comment

* Well I don't have much to say for the Bank officer's are informants to the Robber's. Nigerian Police post in Banks are not well trainded to confront Robbers and rubbers knowing their weak points,alaways outsmart them. Well in Less than 2 years now, I will be a degree holder and will apply to the Nigeria Police to reform it for they are really lagging behind. Banks knows hoe far with what he face but the informans should no forget law of Kamar oh

Posted by: iyke , on Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Report this comment

* IGP Ikiro must be talking from his nose & economical with the truth. The main point is Police men posted at banks are security posters or decoration. They are not trained to fight nor combat armed robbers when confronted. Further most Nigerian Bank employees are crooks themself. They collude with robbers who already know the weakness of Nigerian Police who shiver at first gun shot. Nigerian Police are ill-trained, indicispline, lawless in nature 7 pursue travail issues rather than law & order.

Posted by: gasky truth , on Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Report this comment

* lamentations of okiro.

Posted by: akin raphael , on Tuesday, February 03, 2009
http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200902037565751

(1) (Reply)

Intercontinental Bank -rumour Mongers / What About Procastination? / What Business Ideas Of Yours Have Xprienced The Needed Breakthrough?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.