Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,673 members, 7,809,560 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:14 AM

Ex- Military Governor Of Anambra, Pleads With Igbo Parents To Reduce Bride price - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ex- Military Governor Of Anambra, Pleads With Igbo Parents To Reduce Bride price (37888 Views)

What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? / Origin And History Of Anambra Towns / Ex-military Governor Of Anambra Pleads With Igbo Parents To Reduce Bride Price (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ex- Military Governor Of Anambra, Pleads With Igbo Parents To Reduce Bride price by Onyi42(m): 8:04pm On Apr 29, 2015
ONITSHA — Former Military governor of old Anambra State, Col. Robert Akonobi (rtd), has pleaded with Igbo parents to reduce the bride price of their daughters so that ‘’our young boys can marry them.” ‘’To me, this topic (bride price) has been dealth with in the past by Ndigbo, who came out with a reduced bride price, to enable our young boys marry our young girls,” Akonobi said.

Akonobi also cautioned that men should study their proposed wives closely and longer before engaging into marriage because “once you marry, no one else can put it asunder.” He spoke at the industrial city of Nnewi, Anambra State during the traditional wedding ceremony of the daughter of a business mogul, Chief Louis Onwugbenu, Onyinye and her husband, Bosah Chukwuogo, weekend.

Nnewi was agog as dignitaries from all works of life trooped to the residence of Chief Onwugbenu for the memorable event. The dignitaries who were from both the military, political and manufacturing circles, including Col Akonobi, Hon. Clement Nwankwu, former member of the House of Representatives; Chairmen and Chief Executive Officers of Gabros International Limited and Innoson Vehicle Manufacturing Limited, Chief Gabriel and Innocent Chukwuma respectively, among others.

The issue of high bride price was discussed extensively on the occasion. Hon. Nwankwu, in his own speech, prayed that Chief Onwugbenu and his wife would live long to enjoy the fruits of their children, especially those who married from outside their areas.

Also, speaking, Mrs. Onwugbenu expressed gratitude that her daughter’s hand was given out in marriage and prayed that her in-laws who came all the way from Awka to marry her daughter, would go back home safely. Father of the bride, Onwugbenu, in his own speech, said he had already blessed his daughter and her husband to go and make a good home.

On the bride price controversy in Igbo land, Onwugbenu declared: “We do not charge money as bride price for someone to marry my daughter. To me, what is important is that my daughter should live in peace with her husband. Let her husband’s family members accept her as part and parcel of their family.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/04/reduce-bride-price-akonobi-ex-military-governor-of-anambra-pleads-with-igbo-parents/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ex- Military Governor Of Anambra, Pleads With Igbo Parents To Reduce Bride price by SeverusSnape(m): 8:05pm On Apr 29, 2015

**shedding tears of joy**

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ex- Military Governor Of Anambra, Pleads With Igbo Parents To Reduce Bride price by SeverusSnape(m): 8:08pm On Apr 29, 2015
Truckpusher:
grin grin grin
Now I can marry my Igbo girlfriend, Not worrying how much to spend. grin
I'm so happy. cheesy cry

8 Likes

Re: Ex- Military Governor Of Anambra, Pleads With Igbo Parents To Reduce Bride price by Princecalm(m): 8:08pm On Apr 29, 2015
Nuturing a female in Igbo land is like an investment because it will surely yield fruits.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ex- Military Governor Of Anambra, Pleads With Igbo Parents To Reduce Bride price by jmoore(m): 8:08pm On Apr 29, 2015
Oh! Odikwa egwu.
Re: Ex- Military Governor Of Anambra, Pleads With Igbo Parents To Reduce Bride price by Nobody: 8:09pm On Apr 29, 2015
But for one thing, I for just marry yoruba girl, even the parents go bring food items and big meat for better owambe, but Igbo girls are simply irresistible

66 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ex- Military Governor Of Anambra, Pleads With Igbo Parents To Reduce Bride price by ozoigbondu: 8:09pm On Apr 29, 2015
This man should take time angrylf he wants expensive bride price and traditional weddings he should look at lmo.

Our girls are not cheap and we need hardworking quality men to marry and take good care of them.Good things are expensive

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ex- Military Governor Of Anambra, Pleads With Igbo Parents To Reduce Bride price by AhmedMustapha(m): 8:09pm On Apr 29, 2015
Funny request

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ex- Military Governor Of Anambra, Pleads With Igbo Parents To Reduce Bride price by SeverusSnape(m): 8:10pm On Apr 29, 2015
ozoigbondu:
This man should take time angrylf he wants expensive bride price and traditional weddings he should look at lmo
Haba Bros, We are happy about this gradual development.
Re: Ex- Military Governor Of Anambra, Pleads With Igbo Parents To Reduce Bride price by Nobody: 8:11pm On Apr 29, 2015
No! We're not reducing any bride price. You must be a man, a real man, to marry our precious daughters. Go and work or go and die a wretched lonely man! Arrant nonsense!!!

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ex- Military Governor Of Anambra, Pleads With Igbo Parents To Reduce Bride price by ozoigbondu: 8:11pm On Apr 29, 2015
SeverusSnape:

Haba Bros, We are happy about this gradual development.

lf you want to marry sister and don't prepare well i swear i will shoot you

3 Likes

Re: Ex- Military Governor Of Anambra, Pleads With Igbo Parents To Reduce Bride price by SeverusSnape(m): 8:16pm On Apr 29, 2015
ozoigbondu:

lf you want to marry sister and don't prepare well i swear i will shoot you
Hehehehehehehehehehe... No worry, I gat the money

[img]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3s4rnOG2O1qcbs8ao1_500.gif#show%20me%20the%20money%20gif%20448x306[/img]

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ex- Military Governor Of Anambra, Pleads With Igbo Parents To Reduce Bride price by temitemi1(m): 8:16pm On Apr 29, 2015
Congratulations my brother grin cheesy cheesy
SeverusSnape:

Now I can marry my Igbo girlfriend, Not worrying how much to spend. grin
I'm so happy. cheesy cry

1 Like

Re: Ex- Military Governor Of Anambra, Pleads With Igbo Parents To Reduce Bride price by SeverusSnape(m): 8:18pm On Apr 29, 2015
temitemi1:
Congratulations my brother grin cheesy cheesy
Thank you sir!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ex- Military Governor Of Anambra, Pleads With Igbo Parents To Reduce Bride price by illmatic101(m): 8:18pm On Apr 29, 2015
I read this in the papers today, If dey like make dem reduce bride price, as for me I'm open minded I can marry from any part of Africa, even from South Africa grin

But I still prefer Igbo ladies, they are kiss

10 Likes

Re: Ex- Military Governor Of Anambra, Pleads With Igbo Parents To Reduce Bride price by ozoigbondu: 8:18pm On Apr 29, 2015
SeverusSnape:

Hehehehehehehehehehe... No worry, I gat the money

[img]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3s4rnOG2O1qcbs8ao1_500.gif#show%20me%20the%20money%20gif%20448x306[/img]
Now you have come cheesy

13 Likes

Re: Ex- Military Governor Of Anambra, Pleads With Igbo Parents To Reduce Bride price by SeverusSnape(m): 8:19pm On Apr 29, 2015
smiley
ozoigbondu:
Now you have come cheesy
smiley
Re: Ex- Military Governor Of Anambra, Pleads With Igbo Parents To Reduce Bride price by temitemi1(m): 8:20pm On Apr 29, 2015
This issue of pride price sorry bride price made me leave my igbo girlfriend grin cheesy grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ex- Military Governor Of Anambra, Pleads With Igbo Parents To Reduce Bride price by ionsman: 8:26pm On Apr 29, 2015
.Fifty thousand should be okay. ...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ex- Military Governor Of Anambra, Pleads With Igbo Parents To Reduce Bride price by Realgana(m): 8:26pm On Apr 29, 2015
No loitering
No parking
No hawking

2 Likes

Re: Ex- Military Governor Of Anambra, Pleads With Igbo Parents To Reduce Bride price by yibobasher2: 8:27pm On Apr 29, 2015
I'm coming with a bomb for these sad yeast people

1 Like

Re: Ex- Military Governor Of Anambra, Pleads With Igbo Parents To Reduce Bride price by ignis: 8:27pm On Apr 29, 2015
temitemi1:
This issue of pride price sorry bride price made me left my igbo girlfriend grin cheesy grin
I don't think you really love her...

1 Like

Re: Ex- Military Governor Of Anambra, Pleads With Igbo Parents To Reduce Bride price by MilesLamar(m): 8:27pm On Apr 29, 2015
No way No.. Igbo gals ain't cheap
Re: Ex- Military Governor Of Anambra, Pleads With Igbo Parents To Reduce Bride price by healthcons: 8:28pm On Apr 29, 2015
Re: Ex- Military Governor Of Anambra, Pleads With Igbo Parents To Reduce Bride price by hotgunz(m): 8:28pm On Apr 29, 2015
Lol s nt bride price s bride sell

1 Like

Re: Ex- Military Governor Of Anambra, Pleads With Igbo Parents To Reduce Bride price by MizMyColi(f): 8:28pm On Apr 29, 2015
cheesy
Re: Ex- Military Governor Of Anambra, Pleads With Igbo Parents To Reduce Bride price by ionsman: 8:28pm On Apr 29, 2015
temitemi1:
This issue of pride price sorry bride price made me left my igbo girlfriend grin cheesy grin
No wonder all you type is Gej my hero,fayose my role model.
Left ko, lefted ni.

8 Likes

Re: Ex- Military Governor Of Anambra, Pleads With Igbo Parents To Reduce Bride price by passionate88: 8:28pm On Apr 29, 2015
Make dm no reduce o, make d mumu girls dey theor papa house dey carry belle

12 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ife Chiefs Announce Ooni’s Death Formally (photo) / The Caribbean Islands Where Indigenes Speak Igbo And Yoruba / Oba Rilwan Akiolu Has Allegedly Said That Lagos Is Not Part Of Yoruba Land

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.