Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,611 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:11 PM

Death Row Convict Asked: 'am I Being Executed?' - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Death Row Convict Asked: 'am I Being Executed?' (2419 Views)

Nigeria Pleads For Death Row Nationals As Indonesia’s Top Diplomat Visits / PDP On Death Row, APC Gasping For Breath – Osinbajo / Death Row Convict Escapes Kirikiri After Allegedly Tipping Warden N50K (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Death Row Convict Asked: 'am I Being Executed?' by seunlayi(m): 3:48pm On Apr 30, 2015
A mentally ill Brazilian executed in Indonesia was unaware that he was being put to death in his final hours, say his lawyer and priest.

Rodrigo Gularte, 42, was one of eight convicted drug smugglers killed by firing squad on Wednesday, despite pleas from his family that he was a paranoid schizophrenic.

He was arrested in 2004 while trying to enter Indonesia with 6kg of cocaine in his surfing gear.

Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff made repeated personal pleas for Indonesia to commute his sentence on humanitarian grounds because of his mental illness.

When Gularte was given 72 hours' notice of his execution, his lawyer, Ricky Gunawan, said his client was oblivious to what was happening.

"He had a delusional mind," Mr Gunawan told the AFP news agency.

"When we said your death sentence will be implemented, he said, 'What death sentence? I will not be sentenced to death'.

"I'm not sure whether he really 100% understood he would be executed."

When Mr Gunawan asked what his final requests were, he said the Brazilian was "just laughing".

He said Gularte asked him: "Is it just like Aladdin, when we ask for three wishes?

"When we tried to talk about the serious things ... he kept avoiding, to other silly things. He was calm, as if nothing was happening."

Gularte also believed the water in the prison was poisoned, his lawyer said.

Father Charlie Burrows - an Irish priest who counselled Gularte in his final days - said the Brazilian did not understand what was happening despite his efforts to explain.

"I thought he'd got the message he was to be executed but... when the chains started to go on, he said to me, 'Oh Father... am I being executed?'" Father Burrows told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

"He didn't get angry, he was annoyed.

"The big thing was, 'Oh, why is this happening, this is not right, I made a small mistake and why can't they just leave me in jail on the island and I won't give anybody any trouble'."

Father Burrows said Gularte continued to hear voices in his head.

"Everybody was being prepared for days before and everybody knew there was going to be an execution," he said.

"But because he hears these voices and he reckons because the voices told him, 'No, everything is going to be grand', he believes the voices more than he does anybody else."

Gularte, along with two Australians, four Nigerians and an Indonesian were put to death close to the prison on the island of Nusakambangan in Central Java.

The men refused to wear blindfolds, sang hymns and prayed as they went to their deaths.

Brazil expressed strong regret over Gularte's death as Indonesia faced a storm of international protest for killing the prisoners.

Australia has withdrawn its ambassador in protest at what it called "cruel and unnecessary" executions of Bali Nine duo Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran.

Indonesia has defended the executions as vital in its "war" on drugs.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/death-row-convict-asked-am-being-executed-113055805.html#evW0ana

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Death Row Convict Asked: 'am I Being Executed?' by jhidey08(m): 3:52pm On Apr 30, 2015
Re: Death Row Convict Asked: 'am I Being Executed?' by Nellizzy(m): 3:54pm On Apr 30, 2015
he's really not mentally okay
Re: Death Row Convict Asked: 'am I Being Executed?' by Nobody: 3:56pm On Apr 30, 2015
May the gate of Hades and he who dwells in the innermost chambers of Hell embrace his soul.
Re: Death Row Convict Asked: 'am I Being Executed?' by Nobody: 3:57pm On Apr 30, 2015
eyha sad I feel like crying
Re: Death Row Convict Asked: 'am I Being Executed?' by AlfaSeltzer(m): 4:00pm On Apr 30, 2015
sonOfLucifer:
May the gate of Hades and he who dwells in the innermost chambers of Hell embrace his soul.

I don't think we need such a fool in hell.

May heaven welcome him.

2 Likes

Re: Death Row Convict Asked: 'am I Being Executed?' by danbrowndmf(m): 4:25pm On Apr 30, 2015
Rest brother....
Re: Death Row Convict Asked: 'am I Being Executed?' by GIYAZZ(m): 4:40pm On Apr 30, 2015
Speechless
Re: Death Row Convict Asked: 'am I Being Executed?' by Soloter(m): 5:12pm On Apr 30, 2015
The effect of the 'thing'
Re: Death Row Convict Asked: 'am I Being Executed?' by Nobody: 5:19pm On Apr 30, 2015
AlfaSeltzer:

I don't think we need such a fool in hell.

May heaven welcome him.
crazy niggas
Re: Death Row Convict Asked: 'am I Being Executed?' by wordcat(m): 5:35pm On Apr 30, 2015
Everybody is going to die one day

1 Like

Re: Death Row Convict Asked: 'am I Being Executed?' by Nobody: 5:39pm On Apr 30, 2015
Life imprisonment is just okay for drug traffickers, murderers, armed robbers, etc.

No one has the right to take any life!
As no one has power to give life!
Re: Death Row Convict Asked: 'am I Being Executed?' by milkymesh: 5:44pm On Apr 30, 2015
Why is the world, even Nigeria outraged? What is the penalty for armed robbery in Nigeria? Are we angry that capital purnishment is harsh generally or that capital purnishment is too harsh for the alleged crime.
Kidnapping in Nigeria carries capital purnishment in some states. That is too harsh.
We do not have the moral capacity to criticise indonesia considering that we still condone this form of purnishment in an era were it is considered harsh in the international community .,
Re: Death Row Convict Asked: 'am I Being Executed?' by owobokiri(m): 6:08pm On Apr 30, 2015
WHAT IS NIGERIAS AMBASSADOR STILL DOING IN JARKATA??! When will Jonathan Ebelemi Goodluck grow some balls and act tough? In his second term? The balance of trade between Indonesia and Nigeria favours Indonesia, when is Nigeria going to retaliate in a way that hurts their export to this country? We don't even bark anymore not to talk of biting anybody. .

1 Like

Re: Death Row Convict Asked: 'am I Being Executed?' by ibietela2(m): 6:35pm On Apr 30, 2015
Why keep them in prison for so long if they are going to be executed? Even the guy who has been in prison for 17yrs.

This is not fair,

2 Likes

Re: Death Row Convict Asked: 'am I Being Executed?' by Hollawaley(m): 6:37pm On Apr 30, 2015
God of Tsunami, Install your wrath on Indonesia once more

1 Like

Re: Death Row Convict Asked: 'am I Being Executed?' by qualityovenbake(m): 7:08pm On Apr 30, 2015
Touching story. I keep wondering, there was no emotional support for the Nigerians executed from their families back home here in Nigeria. The world is hearing the emotional stories of the Australians and Brazilians. Nobody in Nigeria is telling the world about the emotional stories of our own. This is a challenge to our investigative journalist here in Nigeria, this men that were executed are not ghost, they originated from this country (they should do a background check). Let the world know their own story, their journey in life. Let the world know the sadness, pain and anger of Nigerians.

3 Likes

Re: Death Row Convict Asked: 'am I Being Executed?' by MugabeRobert: 8:01pm On Apr 30, 2015
owobokiri:
WHAT IS NIGERIAS AMBASSADOR STILL DOING IN JARKATA??! When will Jonathan Ebelemi Goodluck grow some balls and act tough? In his second term? The balance of trade between Indonesia and Nigeria favours Indonesia, when is Nigeria going to retaliate in a way that hurts their export to this country? We don't even bark anymore not to talk of biting anybody. .

So we should recall out ambassador cos some greedy and silly bastards choose to waste their lives? If you don't want to die, don't take drugs to Indonesia.
Re: Death Row Convict Asked: 'am I Being Executed?' by owobokiri(m): 8:17pm On Apr 30, 2015
MugabeRobert:

So we should recall out ambassador cos some greedy and silly bastards choose to waste their lives? If you don't want to die, don't take drugs to Indonesia.

Calling these unforrtunate guys bastards,. ., obviously your understanding of how foreign relations work is begging for urgent upgrade. Whether they were giulty as charged or not, lining up FOUR Nigerian citizens and gunning them down can only happen when Indonesia has a reasonable disdain for Nigeria. If these guys were Americans, they might not even have been convicted thereby saving everybody the subsequent brouhaha that will ultimately follow. . No matter how heinous the crime, it is the duty of the government to defend her nationals. . There is no single country on earth without criminals. Defending your nationals who has cfallen wrong of the law in foreign lands doesn't mean Nigeria is supporting their criminal acts, it simply means that the state is actively living up to the spirits of her social contract with her citizens.
Re: Death Row Convict Asked: 'am I Being Executed?' by MugabeRobert: 8:41pm On Apr 30, 2015
owobokiri:

Calling these unforrtunate guys bastards,. ., obviously your understanding of how foreign relations work is begging for urgent upgrade. Whether they were giulty as charged or not, lining up FOUR Nigerian citizens and gunning them down can only happen when Indonesia has a reasonable disdain for Nigeria. If these guys were Americans, they might not even have been convicted thereby saving everybody the subsequent brouhaha that will ultimately follow. . No matter how heinous the crime, it is the duty of the government to defend her nationals. . There is no single country on earth without criminals. Defending your nationals who has cfallen wrong of the law in foreign lands doesn't mean Nigeria is supporting their criminal acts, it simply means that the state is actively living up to the spirits of her social contract with her citizens.

Balderdash.

Stop justifying crimes. These guys have ruined countless lives with drugs, so just give it a rest.
Re: Death Row Convict Asked: 'am I Being Executed?' by Nobody: 8:52pm On Apr 30, 2015
MugabeRobert:

Balderdash.

Stop justifying crimes. These guys have ruined countless lives with drugs, so just give it a rest.

You just referred to the best comment on this thread as balderdash. I almost thought for a moment that you don't know the meaning of balderdash but then I even realized that you don't even know the meaning of anything at all.

Cos you just indirectly said Australia supports drug trafficking and US support spying

3 Likes

Re: Death Row Convict Asked: 'am I Being Executed?' by ignis: 9:01pm On Apr 30, 2015
Since 2004? That's over 10 years at prison.
Re: Death Row Convict Asked: 'am I Being Executed?' by decasey(m): 9:05pm On Apr 30, 2015
EroticAngelina:
eyha sad I feel like crying
me 2, am really touched.
Re: Death Row Convict Asked: 'am I Being Executed?' by abduljabbar4(m): 9:12pm On Apr 30, 2015
Just like owo said, if they were Americans, they wouldn't have been killed. Indonesians should avoid me
Re: Death Row Convict Asked: 'am I Being Executed?' by Nobody: 9:19pm On Apr 30, 2015
The energy spent on criticizing Indonesia should be expended on counselling would-be drug traffickers.

I support capital punishment for capital offences !
Re: Death Row Convict Asked: 'am I Being Executed?' by idu1(m): 9:58pm On Apr 30, 2015
cry

(1) (Reply)

10 Words APC Fans Dont Want To Hear / Ogun Ritualists - Police Arrest Suspected Cultists For Killings In Ogun / The 'hippo Trench' Across Africa: US Military Quietly Builds Giant Security Belt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.