Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,346 members, 7,811,999 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:49 AM

Nneka Arimah Wins 2015 Commonwealth Short Story Prize - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nneka Arimah Wins 2015 Commonwealth Short Story Prize (14690 Views)

Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize / CALL FOR ENTRIES: 2017 Commonwealth Short Prize / Jonathan Tel Wins 2015 Commonwealth Short Story Prize (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nneka Arimah Wins 2015 Commonwealth Short Story Prize by Nobody: 6:34pm On Apr 30, 2015
Good
Re: Nneka Arimah Wins 2015 Commonwealth Short Story Prize by babamadiba(m): 6:35pm On Apr 30, 2015
On these one, I'm proud to be a Nigerian!
Re: Nneka Arimah Wins 2015 Commonwealth Short Story Prize by Odedenshi1(m): 6:37pm On Apr 30, 2015
Congrats girl.........ODEDENSHI say so
Re: Nneka Arimah Wins 2015 Commonwealth Short Story Prize by CuteMaryJ: 6:41pm On Apr 30, 2015
Woah!!! It hit fp!!! Yayyyy!!! This is dedicated to my facebook team. My Boss "Hope Osoma Okpuwara". My fellow admins and bloggers "Tosyne2much, Tomiwa, Naomi, Derrick, Kim, Darmie, Ifelola, Britney, Nonny, Valentine, & Stanley"

You guys are the best in the world! Special appreciation to every lover of literature and art! Keep that pen writing! Rock on Hope Signatures!

Blog Loading Soon!!!!

Re: Nneka Arimah Wins 2015 Commonwealth Short Story Prize by Everydaeguy(m): 6:57pm On Apr 30, 2015
[quote author=Hollawaley post=33285013] he declined my request cos am a guy and he replied the babe asap[/quothe]how does dat mke her a racist
Re: Nneka Arimah Wins 2015 Commonwealth Short Story Prize by juwoonn(m): 6:59pm On Apr 30, 2015
Larrysun will win d next And I'll follow larry... Nigerians are great!

1 Like

Re: Nneka Arimah Wins 2015 Commonwealth Short Story Prize by pretydiva(f): 7:01pm On Apr 30, 2015
Awww. My namesake kiss.all lesley rocks smiley
Re: Nneka Arimah Wins 2015 Commonwealth Short Story Prize by lalasticlala(m): 7:04pm On Apr 30, 2015
Hollawaley:
Disclamer;Lalasticlala is a racist; if post from my blog makes fp lala would give it another source instead of my blog source. And a girl just told him to put her blog link and he did it ASAP #lala, God dey o.

What are you insinuating? She put up a story without source, I told her to put source. So what's wrong with it?
With regards to your assertion, you don't expect me to use your blog as source if for example you copied from vanguard, I will go straight to vanguard and get the source

1 Like

Re: Nneka Arimah Wins 2015 Commonwealth Short Story Prize by vivalavida(m): 7:06pm On Apr 30, 2015
First and foremost,she is igbo.
Y'll should always remember that.

If e too pain u,go and die

6 Likes

Re: Nneka Arimah Wins 2015 Commonwealth Short Story Prize by Nobody: 7:13pm On Apr 30, 2015
ritababe:
I like her teeth grin . . She look like black america
Hmmm, I wither for this your grammar o
Re: Nneka Arimah Wins 2015 Commonwealth Short Story Prize by 36STATES: 7:20pm On Apr 30, 2015
How is it that only Igbos win anything international in Nigeria? I think Igboland has by far the highest concentration of accomplished writers in Africa. Yorubas write volume but win nothing. Noble right for literature is a political award.

2 Likes

Re: Nneka Arimah Wins 2015 Commonwealth Short Story Prize by Nobody: 7:27pm On Apr 30, 2015
CuteMaryJ:
Nigerian Lesley Nneka Arimah (above left) is winner of the 2015 Commonwealth Short Story Prize (African region) for her short story 'Light'. Congrats to her.

Other 2015 Regional Winners are Asia: Siddhartha Gigoo, ‘The Umbrella Man’ (India); Canada and Europe: Jonathan Tel, The Human Phonograph (United Kingdom); Caribbean: Kevin Jared Hosein, ‘The King of Settlement 4′ (Trinidad and Tobago); and Pacific: Mary Rokonadravu, ‘Famished Eels’ (Fiji).

The regional winners will compete with each other to become the overall winner, which will be announced in London on 8 September.

The Prize provides a platform for writers from the 53 countries of the Commonwealth to inspire others by bringing compelling short stories to awider audience. This year unpublished stories were entered by 4,000 writers from the five regions of the Commonwealth.

The international judges reflect these regions: Leila Aboulela, (Africa), Bina Shah (Asia), Marina Endicott (Canada and Europe), Fred D’Aguiar (the Caribbean) andWiti Ihimaera (the Pacific).

This year’s Chair, Romesh Gunesekera, said of the winning stories:

“We had a strong short-list of stories from around the world that excited the judges and provoked a lively, stimulating set of discussions. The judges were looking for well-crafted stories that were compellingand original. The standards were high. We wanted stories that would engage usand make us rethink our notions of form, language and what mattered. The winning stories did all of that and more. Thank you writers.”

Celebrate Nigeria! Celebrate Literature! Kudos!

{Gotten from facebook.com/hopesignatures
http://www.newsexpressngr.com/news/detail.php?news=11079&title=Nigeria%27s-Nneka-wins-2015-Commonwealth-Short-Story-Prize}

Your title is misleading. She won the regional prize.
Re: Nneka Arimah Wins 2015 Commonwealth Short Story Prize by ibedun: 7:28pm On Apr 30, 2015
36STATES:
How is it that only Igbo's win anything international in Nigeria? I think Igboland has by far the highest concentration of accomplished writers in Africa. Yorubas write volume but win nothing. Noble right for literature is a political award.

Go to USA and call her Igbo. You will get a dirty slap. She is American endof.

1 Like

Re: Nneka Arimah Wins 2015 Commonwealth Short Story Prize by Nobody: 7:29pm On Apr 30, 2015
CuteMaryJ:
Nigerian Lesley Nneka Arimah (above left) is winner of the 2015 Commonwealth Short Story Prize (African region) for her short story 'Light'. Congrats to her.

Other 2015 Regional Winners are Asia: Siddhartha Gigoo, ‘The Umbrella Man’ (India); Canada and Europe: Jonathan Tel, The Human Phonograph (United Kingdom); Caribbean: Kevin Jared Hosein, ‘The King of Settlement 4′ (Trinidad and Tobago); and Pacific: Mary Rokonadravu, ‘Famished Eels’ (Fiji).

The regional winners will compete with each other to become the overall winner, which will be announced in London on 8 September.

The Prize provides a platform for writers from the 53 countries of the Commonwealth to inspire others by bringing compelling short stories to awider audience. This year unpublished stories were entered by 4,000 writers from the five regions of the Commonwealth.

The international judges reflect these regions: Leila Aboulela, (Africa), Bina Shah (Asia), Marina Endicott (Canada and Europe), Fred D’Aguiar (the Caribbean) andWiti Ihimaera (the Pacific).

This year’s Chair, Romesh Gunesekera, said of the winning stories:

“We had a strong short-list of stories from around the world that excited the judges and provoked a lively, stimulating set of discussions. The judges were looking for well-crafted stories that were compellingand original. The standards were high. We wanted stories that would engage usand make us rethink our notions of form, language and what mattered. The winning stories did all of that and more. Thank you writers.”

Celebrate Nigeria! Celebrate Literature! Kudos!

{Gotten from facebook.com/hopesignatures
http://www.newsexpressngr.com/news/detail.php?news=11079&title=Nigeria%27s-Nneka-wins-2015-Commonwealth-Short-Story-Prize}

Congratulations!

There is no South African winner on the list! They are only good with xenophobic killings.
angry angry angry angry
Re: Nneka Arimah Wins 2015 Commonwealth Short Story Prize by salesRep: 7:34pm On Apr 30, 2015
Gf
Re: Nneka Arimah Wins 2015 Commonwealth Short Story Prize by Nobody: 7:41pm On Apr 30, 2015
Nneka123 tongue grin
Re: Nneka Arimah Wins 2015 Commonwealth Short Story Prize by CuteMaryJ: 7:47pm On Apr 30, 2015
all4naija:
Congratulations!

There is no South African winner on the list! They are only good with xenophobic killings.
angry angry angry angry
Yea, I know. But I think we should learn to get over this xenophobic thing. The media is taking it to the extreme. We are beginning to hate one another forgetting there are still good South Africans out there. Lets not rejoice at our fellow's misfortune. Some South Africans are even regretting just like AKA wished he could tear his South African passport in shreds. I'm not a South African neither am I stuck with Nigeria, I'm simply a true African and that's what facebook.com/hopesignatures represents. We are Africans irrespective of where we come from.

One Africa!
Re: Nneka Arimah Wins 2015 Commonwealth Short Story Prize by slap1(m): 7:49pm On Apr 30, 2015
Hollawaley:
he declined my request cos am a guy and he replied the babe ASAP
I'm ashamed.
Re: Nneka Arimah Wins 2015 Commonwealth Short Story Prize by Nobody: 9:46pm On Apr 30, 2015
36STATES:
How is it that only Igbos win anything international in Nigeria? I think Igboland has by far the highest concentration of accomplished writers in Africa. Yorubas write volume but win nothing. Noble right for literature is a political award.
Listen to yourself, '...Yorubas write volume(sic) but win nothing. Noble right(sic) for literature...' Nobel Laureate(WS) is from which tribe?
Re: Nneka Arimah Wins 2015 Commonwealth Short Story Prize by Masterclass32: 9:51pm On Apr 30, 2015
Bless you sister. More good tidings on the way!
Re: Nneka Arimah Wins 2015 Commonwealth Short Story Prize by tivereegega(m): 10:28pm On Apr 30, 2015
Slimdolly:
Proud of that girl.

*Modified*
Was I the first to comment?

Re: Nneka Arimah Wins 2015 Commonwealth Short Story Prize by playboyAIU(m): 12:43am On May 01, 2015
congrat oooooooo
Re: Nneka Arimah Wins 2015 Commonwealth Short Story Prize by Orikinla(m): 11:16am On May 01, 2015
Congratulations.
She looks it.
Re: Nneka Arimah Wins 2015 Commonwealth Short Story Prize by Nobody: 11:01am On Nov 02, 2015
Nice

(1) (2) (Reply)

Monitoring Spirits. / ••• Diary Of A Jumoke(a Web Series) / Best Fictional Crime Detective Characters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.