Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,195 members, 7,818,648 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:44 PM

Advice Needed On My New Poultry Farm. - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Advice Needed On My New Poultry Farm. (1022 Views)

Pics Of My New Poultry Biz / Free Consultancy For New Poultry Business / Total Cost Required To Start A New Poultry Farm(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice Needed On My New Poultry Farm. by Nobody: 12:04pm On May 01, 2015
Good morning to you all,

I'm an 100Level student(CSE) and i stay with my parent,i have little or no knowledge about poultry farming but i really need other source of income apart from that coming from my parent,so i planned to give poultry farming a trial.

I have been able to know that there are three types of beds,layers,cockrel and broilers.I plan to go for the broilers as they grow in a short while although their chances of survival isnt as much as that of cockrel.

I plan to move on to layers rearing once i have gained enough experience. I already have a small cage in place and i think it will contain up to 10-15 birds(the number i plan to start with).

I'm planning to start fully in late August because my focus is to sell them during Christmas.

As i have said earliar,i have little or no knowledge about poultry farming and i need your advice on somethings;

How much will feeding of 15 birds cost me per day?

Is there a particular type of feed i should administer?

I heard i have to administer some drugs too,what type,how do i get it and can i do it myself?

How much attention do i have to give to the birds? I'm a student and i come back home late most of the times but if i know how much attention i should give then i will know how to create time and reshedule my time table.

I also learnt that there is need for me to put electric light in form of bulb in the cage to ensure that when there is cold,there is something to keep the birds warm,can you please sheld more light on this?

What other things do you think i need to know? Kindly comment them too.

This is my first time of starting something all by mysellf without much from my parent,it will encourage me a lot if its successful at the end of the day.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Re: Advice Needed On My New Poultry Farm. by IamOdin: 2:13pm On May 01, 2015
i'm not experienced in this field but i think u should look up other threads like "starting a poultry farm(a blog)",,i believe u'll see some of the things u need there..GOODLUCK.
Re: Advice Needed On My New Poultry Farm. by Nobody: 2:37pm On May 01, 2015
For your specification and the fact that you want to start in August (even though i will advise you to start in June) go for cockerel.
Cheaper feeds
Much more tolerant
Re: Advice Needed On My New Poultry Farm. by favour112: 2:57pm On May 01, 2015
Obiagelli:

For your specification and the fact that you want to start in August (even though i will advise you to start in June) go for cockerel.
Cheaper feeds
Much more tolerant

Can you tell me the number feed a cockerel can eat from day old till 6 week
Re: Advice Needed On My New Poultry Farm. by Ura: 9:12pm On May 01, 2015
favour112:

Can you tell me the number feed a cockerel can eat from day old till 6 week

A cockerel does not eat much. It will barely eat 3 mudus of chick mash from day old to 6 weeks.
Re: Advice Needed On My New Poultry Farm. by FarmTech(m): 9:48pm On May 01, 2015
The space u have, what is the dimension? Bc that's only how to know hw many it will contain.
Re: Advice Needed On My New Poultry Farm. by Ura: 10:05pm On May 01, 2015
SIRANT:
Good morning to you all,

I'm an 100Level student(CSE) and i stay with my parent,i have little or no knowledge about poultry farming but i really need other source of income apart from that coming from my parent,so i planned to give poultry farming a trial.

I have been able to know that there are three types of beds,layers,cockrel and broilers.I plan to go for the broilers as they grow in a short while although their chances of survival isnt as much as that of cockrel.

I plan to move on to layers rearing once i have gained enough experience. I already have a small cage in place and i think it will contain up to 10-15 birds(the number i plan to start with).

I'm planning to start fully in late August because my focus is to sell them during Christmas.

As i have said earliar,i have little or no knowledge about poultry farming and i need your advice on somethings;

How much will feeding of 15 birds cost me per day?

Is there a particular type of feed i should administer?

I heard i have to administer some drugs too,what type,how do i get it and can i do it myself?

How much attention do i have to give to the birds? I'm a student and i come back home late most of the times but if i know how much attention i should give then i will know how to create time and reshedule my time table.

I also learnt that there is need for me to put electric light in form of bulb in the cage to ensure that when there is cold,there is something to keep the birds warm,can you please sheld more light on this?

What other things do you think i need to know? Kindly comment them too.

This is my first time of starting something all by mysellf without much from my parent,it will encourage me a lot if its successful at the end of the day.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

For broilers, you will need broiler starter for 3-6 weeks. Duration is your choice. Using grower is also optional and then finisher till you sell.
Vaccinations Gumboro and LaSota are compulsory. Anti coccidiosis, dewormer and antibiotics like keproceryl are medications you should have handy and vitamins supplement too. You might not use more than 3 bags. Try to avoid waste. If you live in the south west, Top feed is a good choice. Yes, they need constant light and water. And feed too. I hope that my contribution is useful to you. I wish you success.
Re: Advice Needed On My New Poultry Farm. by Nobody: 12:18am On May 02, 2015
Ura:

For broilers, you will need broiler starter for 3-6 weeks. Duration is your choice. Using grower is also optional and then finisher till you sell.
Vaccinations Gumboro and LaSota are compulsory. Anti coccidiosis, dewormer and antibiotics like keproceryl are medications you should have handy and vitamins supplement too. You might not use more than 3 bags. Try to avoid waste. If you live in the south west, Top feed is a good choice. Yes, they need constant light and water. And feed too. I hope that my contribution is useful to you. I wish you success.

Thanks for your contribution,i really appreciate it.
Re: Advice Needed On My New Poultry Farm. by Nobody: 12:19am On May 02, 2015
FarmTech:
The space u have, what is the dimension? Bc that's only how to know hw many it will contain.

i will check this out and get back to you.

(1) (Reply)

Ghana Fish Farming And Fish Feed Production / Defeathering Machine / Tomatoes Farming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.