Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,037 members, 7,818,060 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:26 AM

Lamentations Of A Glasses/contact Lens User - Health (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Lamentations Of A Glasses/contact Lens User (30499 Views)

Photo Of A Baby Born With Teeth - Twitter User / Man's Lips Swollen After MouthAction With A Lady - Facebook User (Photo) / Eye Care: What You Must Never Do To Contact Lens- Experts Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lamentations Of A Glasses/contact Lens User by incrediblestev: 9:38am On May 04, 2015
sweetgala:

Glasses never slowed my roll really, I'll have to say I'm probably dating more since I started wearing them all the time, my confidence and ego is just much larger than it. Most of the name calling would be from my friends, the girls think I'm gentle and cool until they know the real sweet_gala

I'm an engineer as well yet yo have any problems with my glasses , when I'm doing any dangerous work o tend to wear CPE glasses over them and I have Edgar Davids type googles when playing sports , I had a mocular hole vitrectomy done in 2013 so I'm very careful with my left eye.

Guy such is life what can you do. I'm concerned about Nigerian employers and this their glasses issue, been thonking of relocating for a while now
Eye surgery, whatever kind scares the hell out of me...... I don't know why I just cringe at the thought of it, too delicate for me
Re: Lamentations Of A Glasses/contact Lens User by Nobody: 9:51am On May 04, 2015
Please someone should help me out here. Why is it thought by the bulk of people that those on glasses must be intelligent? This is not only a Nigerian thing but it's global. Everywhere you go, people think that once you use glasses, you must be smart! Even though I don't use glasses, I fall into that belief too. Once I see someone using, I think the person is serious minded. American movies also portray that stereotype so geeky brainy glass wearers.
Re: Lamentations Of A Glasses/contact Lens User by aimuan(m): 10:05am On May 04, 2015
rexbuton:

[size=15pt]MODS PLEASE BAN THIS GUY.. HE IS A 419[/size]
ignorance is a disease. Pls visit www.stemcellresearchfacts.com
Re: Lamentations Of A Glasses/contact Lens User by nedu2000(m): 10:55am On May 04, 2015
literarymathy:
Please someone should help me out here. Why is it thought by the bulk of people that those on glasses must be intelligent? This is not only a Nigerian thing but it's global. Everywhere you go, people think that once you use glasses, you must be smart! Even though I don't use glasses, I fall into that belief too. Once I see someone using, I think the person is serious minded. American movies also portray that stereotype so geeky brainy glass wearers.
since glasses wearers can't be so social and that involved in sports,it entails they stay indoors and more often than not get involved with their books,its not as though our brains become more effective as soon as you put your glasses on,lolss

3 Likes

Re: Lamentations Of A Glasses/contact Lens User by timpaker(m): 11:20am On May 04, 2015
laykorn:

Hehe. Somehow, the glasses was part of the imagined image. You remember? I'm getting it complete, now. smiley

Almost albino-ish in colour. Wears glasses. smiley

Hehehhehehe.

Heheheheheeheh. My guy I'm not a puzzle ooooo. You're just bn hierophantic.
Re: Lamentations Of A Glasses/contact Lens User by egobetatoday: 11:44am On May 04, 2015
rexbuton:

your ophthalmologist is wrong.. contact lenses are better for higher powers such as yours.. moving the CL to the corneal plane would reduce the convergence effect of the high minus on the visual system..
secondly, contact lenses would be more suitable if the powers are different with up to -1.50DS or contains cylinder power of up to -1.25DC, as the CL would reduce the chances of different image sizes in both eyes(anisometropia).. summary be say, CL is better for you.. go and get one from a reliable practitioner

are u an optometrist/ opthalmologist? pls what does it mean to have a cylinder/ cone in the eye?
Re: Lamentations Of A Glasses/contact Lens User by rexbuton: 12:06pm On May 04, 2015
aimuan:
ignorance is a disease. Pls visit www.stemcellresearchfacts.com

Youre just a 419..

here is your site..

Search

Discover

What is a Stem Cell?
Why Stem Cells?
Changed Lives Video
About Our Mission

Learn

Helpful Links
Glossary of Terms
Research: Critical Need

Support

Find us on:

Conditions

Therapies & Treatments
Leukemia
Parkinson's Disease
Sickle Cell Disease
Spinal Cord Injuries

Information

Clinical Trials

Other Videos

"My Brother Saved My Life"
Joe Davis, Jr.

"I Will Walk Again"
Laura Dominguez
Stem Cell Researcher
Dr. Richard Burt
Scleroderma Patient
Amy Daniels

Life-Saving Stem Cells - Discover, Learn, Share
Nearly everyone inside and outside of the medical and scientific community agrees that stem cell research represents one of the most exciting and promising frontiers for treating people with a myriad of diseases and conditions. Stem cell research and treatments represent perhaps mankind's greatest opportunity to fulfill that ancient call to "heal the sick," relieve suffering and improve the quality of life for untold millions of people.

This website provides scientific facts and concise information for those of us who are not scientists, researchers or medical professionals. You will learn answers to questions like ..."Who is benefitting from stem cell research and therapies today?" and "What types of stem cells are working?" In addition, basic questions such as "What is a stem cell?" "Why do we need stem cell research?" are answered.

The video patient profiles featured on this site emphasize ADULT stem cell advances with the goal of informing and the hope of inspiring you to take action. These real-life stories represent a small sampling of people and the many diseases and conditions now being helped by adult stem cells naturally found in the human body. Stem Cell Research Facts illustrates how current adult treatments and therapies directly impact the lives of patients and their families today - as opposed to debating the merits of other types of stem cell research.

We invite you to discover, learn and share the incredible possibilites of stem cell research. We welcome your feedback and encourage you to return for the latest developments in the world of stem cell research. Thank you!

DISCLAIMER

Re: Lamentations Of A Glasses/contact Lens User by rexbuton: 12:22pm On May 04, 2015
egobetatoday:

are u an optometrist/ opthalmologist? pls what does it mean to have a cylinder/ cone in the eye?
OKAY..
E GO LONG SHA.. I'll use simple terms

WHen a normal/good eye looks at objects, the image falls exactly on the retina ( imagine the retina to be a screen)

when the eye is too long/ too short or the lens is too weak/too strong, the image will fall either in front of or behind the retina.. this is the case in simple myopia or hyperopia depending on the length and corresponding strength of the lens.

As for the cylinder, imagine that the persons cornea ( in front of the eye) is not regular or curved properly, so the light will be refracted at different points, so instead of the image to fall in one place inside the eye, it falls on more than one place (usually 2, >2 is very rare). so this is where the cylindrical lens comes in. a normal sphere lens has its power equal on all parts of the lens but cyl has power on only one part, so it is like a half lens.. we would use a normal sphere lens to push the first image to the retina, and use a cyl lens to push the other image, because the cyl is like a half lens, it pushes the other half image to join it's brother on the retina to form a point focus.. we cannot use two sphere lenses because it will push thee already settled half part away from the retina while bringing its brother there..

I hope i've not erred in trying to make it very simple sha.. cheesy

Re: Lamentations Of A Glasses/contact Lens User by sweetgala(m): 1:51pm On May 04, 2015
incrediblestev:
Eye surgery, whatever kind scares the hell out of me...... I don't know why I just cringe at the thought of it, too delicate for me

You sleep and wake up and it's all done, I would not recommend you watch any YouTube videos before going in cause you'll definitely change your mind.

Mine was for mocular hole repair so needles were stuck in the eye to remove the scaring and then a gas bobble was injected into the eye.
Re: Lamentations Of A Glasses/contact Lens User by aimuan(m): 3:02pm On May 04, 2015
rexbuton:

Youre just a 419..

here is your site..

Search

Discover

What is a Stem Cell?
Why Stem Cells?
Changed Lives Video
About Our Mission

Learn

Helpful Links
Glossary of Terms
Research: Critical Need

Support

Find us on:

Conditions

Therapies & Treatments
Leukemia
Parkinson's Disease
Sickle Cell Disease
Spinal Cord Injuries

Information

Clinical Trials

Other Videos

"My Brother Saved My Life"
Joe Davis, Jr.

"I Will Walk Again"
Laura Dominguez
Stem Cell Researcher
Dr. Richard Burt
Scleroderma Patient
Amy Daniels

Life-Saving Stem Cells - Discover, Learn, Share
Nearly everyone inside and outside of the medical and scientific community agrees that stem cell research represents one of the most exciting and promising frontiers for treating people with a myriad of diseases and conditions. Stem cell research and treatments represent perhaps mankind's greatest opportunity to fulfill that ancient call to "heal the sick," relieve suffering and improve the quality of life for untold millions of people.

This website provides scientific facts and concise information for those of us who are not scientists, researchers or medical professionals. You will learn answers to questions like ..."Who is benefitting from stem cell research and therapies today?" and "What types of stem cells are working?" In addition, basic questions such as "What is a stem cell?" "Why do we need stem cell research?" are answered.

The video patient profiles featured on this site emphasize ADULT stem cell advances with the goal of informing and the hope of inspiring you to take action. These real-life stories represent a small sampling of people and the many diseases and conditions now being helped by adult stem cells naturally found in the human body. Stem Cell Research Facts illustrates how current adult treatments and therapies directly impact the lives of patients and their families today - as opposed to debating the merits of other types of stem cell research.

We invite you to discover, learn and share the incredible possibilites of stem cell research. We welcome your feedback and encourage you to return for the latest developments in the world of stem cell research. Thank you!

DISCLAIMER

is like 419 flow in ur vein dats why is easy for you to mention it.did you watch the video testimony? If yes, does it look like fake to you? Ur problem is u dnt knw anytin and u dnt even knw that u dnt knw anytin, u tink u knw everytin.ur ignorance deserve an award. Its very clear u lack the mental ability to differentiate bw genuine tin and fake one.for d last time dnt qoute me again,.if you hav any problem with my initial claim, then do ur research befor u draw a conclusion. www.stemtech.com
Re: Lamentations Of A Glasses/contact Lens User by rexbuton: 3:18pm On May 04, 2015
aimuan:
is like 419 flow in ur vein dats why is easy for you to mention it.did you watch the video testimony? If yes, does it look like fake to you? Ur problem is u dnt knw anytin and u dnt even knw that u dnt knw anytin, u tink u knw everytin.ur ignorance deserve an award. Its very clear u lack the mental ability to differentiate bw genuine tin and fake one.for d last time dnt qoute me again,.if you hav any problem with my initial claim, then do ur research befor u draw a conclusion. www.stemtech.com

I don't blame you.. I blame the mods who have refused to ban you for posting wrong information.. i've read through all your sites that you post and i've not found any where they say they do stem cell enhancement for the eyes. You need to google about the condition you claim to treat first before all these bull shít.. and your english also proves that you're just a street or bus charlatan who probably sells Mustard seed.

Don't let law enforcement catch you sha..

GENERAL PuBLIC should take note of this scammer.. Read on stem cell technology and weigh it against his posts
Re: Lamentations Of A Glasses/contact Lens User by Nobody: 3:58pm On May 04, 2015
timpaker:

Heheheheheeheh. My guy I'm not a puzzle ooooo. You're just bn hierophantic.

Why not would a man, whom from his pen, the best of poetry flows be a puzzle? undecided
Re: Lamentations Of A Glasses/contact Lens User by aimuan(m): 3:59pm On May 04, 2015
rexbuton:

I don't blame you.. I blame the mods who have refused to ban you for posting wrong information.. i've read through all your sites that you post and i've not found any where they say they do stem cell enhancement for the eyes. You need to google about the condition you claim to treat first before all these bull shít.. and your english also proves that you're just a street or bus charlatan who probably sells Mustard seed.

Don't let law enforcement catch you sha..

GENERAL PuBLIC should take note of this scammer.. Read on stem cell technology and weigh it against his posts
you sound too dull to understd my words.let me do you this final favour, though u dnt deserve it.visite www.christiandrapeau.com .aftervisiting d above site I guess u ll have anough reason to close ur f**ckn mouth.
Re: Lamentations Of A Glasses/contact Lens User by incrediblestev: 4:44pm On May 04, 2015
sweetgala:

You sleep and wake up and it's all done, I would not recommend you watch any YouTube videos before going in cause you'll definitely change your mind.

Mine was for mocular hole repair so needles were stuck in the eye to remove the scaring and then a gas bobble was injected into the eye.
I have seen a couple of such already on YouTube.... Too much details that just put some fear in somebody.....
Re: Lamentations Of A Glasses/contact Lens User by cao(f): 6:06pm On May 04, 2015
nedu2000:
I've worn glasses for well over a decade,it started with 3 diopter of short-sightedness(-3)from which it got worse (-6) by 1999,it has remained so ever since.It hasn't been easy and I sure would like to see the world in HD in my lifetime and not this'. 'NTA' standard my eyes offer.
My Perils include:

1)SPORTING DRAWBACK: if you think zinedine Zidane,Eden Hazard,leo Messi are the most creative footballers then you've never seen me play,but with my eyesight I had to cool down on my football career.Infact in my University days I rarely get chosen in teams sad

2)ROMANTIC DRAWBACKS: There were times a got a 'moment' with some hot chics and as I was closing in for a french kiss my glasses sets up a awkward moment instead and my chance is gone! The glasses also give me this "he's cute but he's not man enough since he wears glasses!!" from girls.

3 )DOMESTIC/EVERYDAY CHALLENGES: I can't fall asleep swiftly without looking for a means to drop my glasses somewhere,if I use contacts my sparkling eyes turn red the next day,if it's raining/foggy my glasses becomes completely misty and unlike windshields,spectacles don't come with wipers sad

4)MISCELLAENOUS: job opportunities-i studied civil engineer but I have fewer opportunities to prove myself as a good site engineer due to stereotypes

* intimidation- I was driving around Orile in Lagos when one lanky dude tried extorting money from me,merely because he felt I was weak/gentle not until I broke his nose did he realise I wasn't weak, had to spend N2500 on his treatment sad

Nairalanders please is there any sort cure for shortsightedness? I heard of many side-effects in relation to the laser option!
I sleep with my frames just fine, especially if they're plastic ones. Yes, I can have a nice restful sleep with my half-rimmed glasses.

Sporting drawbacks, what's the name of that man that used to play football with goggles again? **googles** Edgar Davids, his glaucoma didn't stop him from playing. I remember when I did fencing, self defence and kick boxing, I had my glasses on the whole time, didn't stop me from kicking the s*** outta someone. Medicated goggles are not hard to come by, I know I own a pair, which I'm supposed to use for swimming, but my ass is too lazy.

The romantic drawbacks, my guy na you way no dey confident with yourself. Or maybe you need to hang out with a better calibre of women. I remember in secondary school, there was a guy who girls used to die for, simply because he looked apparently 100 times better with his glasses on...plus I'm assuming all of us with myopic parent(s) would not currently exist, if they followed your logic. Maybe, my family is a special case - one is myopic, the other is long-sighted.

When it's raining, use an umbrella. Or if you're like me who never seems to have my umbrella, keep moving forward or take 'em off, either way be conscious as hell. Unless you want to go the laser route, stop whining and make the best out of your situation, be creative, improvise. Your glasses aren't holding you back, you are.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lamentations Of A Glasses/contact Lens User by optm(m): 6:17pm On May 04, 2015
aimuan:
how can you just draw a conclusion like dat with research? Hw can u say I made it up? Made it up for what? Pls visit www.stemcellreseachfacts.org
would not want to drag issues. sorry for the quick conclusion but it's not possible at least nt for refractive errors. u may have made d post out of ur little knowledge about eye health and u may have had genuine intentions.. but the truth is u can't correct refractive errors by stem cell.
Re: Lamentations Of A Glasses/contact Lens User by egobetatoday: 6:26pm On May 04, 2015
rexbuton:

OKAY..
E GO LONG SHA.. I'll use simple terms

WHen a normal/good eye looks at objects, the image falls exactly on the retina ( imagine the retina to be a screen)

when the eye is too long/ too short or the lens is too weak/too strong, the image will fall either in front of or behind the retina.. this is the case in simple myopia or hyperopia depending on the length and corresponding strength of the lens.

As for the cylinder, imagine that the persons cornea ( in front of the eye) is not regular or curved properly, so the light will be refracted at different points, so instead of the image to fall in one place inside the eye, it falls on more than one place (usually 2, >2 is very rare). so this is where the cylindrical lens comes in. a normal sphere lens has its power equal on all parts of the lens but cyl has power on only one part, so it is like a half lens.. we would use a normal sphere lens to push the first image to the retina, and use a cyl lens to push the other image, because the cyl is like a half lens, it pushes the other half image to join it's brother on the retina to form a point focus.. we cannot use two sphere lenses because it will push thee already settled half part away from the retina while bringing its brother there..

I hope i've not erred in trying to make it very simple sha.. cheesy

ok. thanks so much. so i need not worry since my glasses will correct it then.
Re: Lamentations Of A Glasses/contact Lens User by codedflowz(m): 7:20pm On May 04, 2015
I have a question though
My parents don't have any eye defects... Even my grandparents didn't have any before they passed away

How I come I am short sighted?

Anybody
Re: Lamentations Of A Glasses/contact Lens User by nazrul93(m): 7:23pm On May 04, 2015
Re: Lamentations Of A Glasses/contact Lens User by nazrul93(m): 7:24pm On May 04, 2015
Re: Lamentations Of A Glasses/contact Lens User by nazrul93(m): 7:26pm On May 04, 2015
Re: Lamentations Of A Glasses/contact Lens User by nedu2000(m): 7:36pm On May 04, 2015
codedflowz:
I have a question though
My parents don't have any eye defects... Even my grandparents didn't have any before they passed away

How I come I am short sighted?

Anybody
short-sightedness is also caused by environmental factors too not just genetic
Re: Lamentations Of A Glasses/contact Lens User by codedflowz(m): 7:43pm On May 04, 2015
nedu2000:

Thank you cry
Then that means the environmental factors probably affected me when I was a kid
Re: Lamentations Of A Glasses/contact Lens User by babestell(f): 8:25pm On May 04, 2015
incrediblestev:
trust me babe, if you have used glasses for the better part of your life, you will definitely have issues with them. How long have you been wearing glasses.

22 yrs
Re: Lamentations Of A Glasses/contact Lens User by jaey(m): 9:27pm On May 04, 2015
Caracta:

Do you use the geeky-albert-Einstein glasses with rounded rims or the funky-asha-on-fire ones?

Just wanna know d one u use cos urs sounds interesting. 8-)
Re: Lamentations Of A Glasses/contact Lens User by Caracta(f): 10:19pm On May 04, 2015
jaey:

Just wanna know d one u use cos urs sounds interesting. 8-)

Asha-on-fire cheesy

I don't use it all the time though.
Re: Lamentations Of A Glasses/contact Lens User by incrediblestev: 9:15am On May 05, 2015
babestell:

22 yrs
OK. Well I just just checked your profile, it is obvious you like being referred to as a Nerd not everyone does..... I don't fancy it....there lies our differences. Fact is that some of us are good at denying the issues that come with having eye defects and having to be relegated to wearing goggles while most of us just like to see these issues fir what they are.....
Re: Lamentations Of A Glasses/contact Lens User by adamskutty(m): 7:22pm On May 05, 2015
aimuan:
i understand ur predicament. Buy if only u will listen to me.i suffer far more than dis ur case, at a time my optician couldnt even offer any help, I was told I had to manage d little vision I had left and thats was after goin for eye surgery twice.but I got back my complet vision with use of adult stem cell, which helped to rebulid my already demaged eye.right now I can wright,watch TV,look out computer without problem.do you live in lagos?
tell me more about this adult stem cell, pls?
Re: Lamentations Of A Glasses/contact Lens User by Nobody: 11:58pm On Aug 20, 2015
babestell:
I wear a -10. And I have no issues with wearing glasses. Infact I have glasses for every occasion..work, church, club smiley
Any guy who has an issue with it is free to leave.
upload your pics with a glass lets see. I love people wearing glasses especially lenses. It makes them look more cooperate and responsible. As me myself am looking for a lens glasses but just for fancy to make me look more responsible too
Re: Lamentations Of A Glasses/contact Lens User by optm(m): 6:27pm On Aug 30, 2015
nedu2000:
how do u mean environmental factor? pls xplain
Re: Lamentations Of A Glasses/contact Lens User by nedu2000(m): 9:54am On Sep 01, 2015
optm:
how do u mean environmental factor? pls xplain

reading,writing and using a computer. I just saw an article that says that children who spend more time in outdoor activities are less likely to be short-sighted http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Short-sightedness/Pages/Causes.aspx
Re: Lamentations Of A Glasses/contact Lens User by optm(m): 8:17pm On Sep 02, 2015
nedu2000:
reading,writing and using a computer. I just saw an article that says that children who spend more time in outdoor activities are less likely to be short-sighted http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Short-sightedness/Pages/Causes.aspx
putin it under environmental façtor is out of context bt i understand d msg u re tryin to pass

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Couple Needs N4.7million From Philanthropists To Treat Their Son / Job Alawari-Kei: FUO Student Slumps, Dies From Illicit Drug Overdose In Bayelsa / COVID-19: Sulaiman Adamu Treated ‘Malaria’ In 3 Hospitals Before Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.