Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,800 members, 7,866,097 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 11:28 AM

Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US - Culture (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US (83019 Views)

Check Out Pictures Of The Igbo Farm Village In Virginia, USA / Igbo Community Built In Virginia USA See Photos. / Photos Of An Igbo Village Built In Virginia, USA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by sukkot: 2:52am On May 04, 2015
AkanIgbo:

That is because Sukkot doesn't know anything that he is writing about. He is a clown.
listen, even if i give her 20 rebellions which there were not up to 20. even at 20 that is one rebellion every 15 years. are you starting to get perspective on this 250 year slave saga ?
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Phut(f): 2:53am On May 04, 2015
sukkot:
like i said, i have been battling and fielding questions from you biafrans for the past 2 hours with no space to search comprehensively. i will have it up when i log off nairaland. only then can i do a comprehensive search. understood mi amigos ?

Your time would have been better spent producing your link instead of your mostly, senseless, reply to every post. You know what they say about empty vessels

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by sukkot: 2:53am On May 04, 2015
sukkot:
listen, even if i give her 20 rebellions which there were not up to 20. even at 20 that is one rebellion every 15 years. are you starting to get perspective on this 250 year slave saga ?
AkanIgbo:

There were more than 10 rebellions in the USA; we listed the big ones for ease of reading. Most rebellions in the USA were small, because the slaves lived on small farms rather than on large plantations like in the Caribbean and South America.

You don't know what you are talking about. Where are your links to all of the simpleton stuff that you have been writing?
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by AkanIgbo: 2:54am On May 04, 2015
sukkot:
like i said, i have been battling and fielding questions from you biafrans for the past 2 hours with no space to search comprehensively. i will have it up when i log off nairaland. only then can i do a comprehensive search. understood mi amigos ?

So basically you don't know what you are talking about? Which is what was stated earlier, but instead of admitting that you don't know anything about the topic in which you have decided to engage you just write dumb stuff.

One other thing; the slavers/planters in Haiti and Jamaica did live on their island. They were outnumbered by the slaves and they just assumed that the slaves were docile and wouldn't overtake them. That is why Akan and Igbo slaves were shipped to the USA and kept on small farms rather than on larger open plantations were they had freedom of movement.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Phut(f): 2:55am On May 04, 2015
babyosisi:
speaking of bleaching
It doesn't get any clearer than this
Our SW sisters lead,their husbands follow
She forgot her mustache area grin

And her knuckles too. Lol.

Please who has a picture of the bleaching Yoruba governor. What is his name again, Akala or something?

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by sukkot: 2:55am On May 04, 2015
Phut:

Your time would have been better spent producing your link instead of your mostly, senseless, reply to every post. You know what they say about empty vessels
if i had to look for links for all the questions i am fielding from you biafrans, you would have overwhelmed me easily. notice it is me against like 5 of you ? when i post this comment and check the top of my notice board it says i have 3 mentions. so you see ? i dont have time to fetch links just now
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by sukkot: 2:57am On May 04, 2015
AkanIgbo:

So basically you don't know what you are talking about? Which is what was stated earlier, but instead of admitting that you don't know anything about the topic in which you have decided to engage you just write dumb stuff.

One other thing; the slavers/planters in Haiti and Jamaica did live on their island. They were outnumbered by the slaves and they just assumed that the slaves were docile and wouldn't overtake them. That is why Akan and Igbo slaves were shipped to the USA and kept on small farms rather than on larger open plantations were they had freedom of movement.
you are speaking rubbish. the ffirst slave holding state in the 13 union country only wanted igbo slaves because they were subservient not because they were rebellious. it is documented virginia history
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Nobody: 2:57am On May 04, 2015
Phut:

And her knuckles too. Lol.

Please who has a picture of the bleaching Yoruba governor. What is his name again, Akala or something?

cheesy grin

6 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Phut(f): 2:58am On May 04, 2015
babyosisi:

cheesy grin

OMG! I have died laughing. I was just about to post this

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by AkanIgbo: 3:00am On May 04, 2015
sukkot:
sukkot:

Another gem from you. You should spend sometime reading and less time responding with simple minded replies. There were constant rebellions in the USA. Most were small rebellions, because slaves were kept on smaller farms in the USA. You are reading about the bigger rebellions that most writers of the day covered. Not only that but the Northern States in the USA ended slavery in their region long before it was abolished in the rest of the USA during the Civil war, so Northern black people had no need to rebel. Read more. Write less in the future.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Nobody: 3:00am On May 04, 2015
The Awujale of Ijebuland
Oba Sikiru Adetona is another bleacher whose case don dey chronic
Some days are good then some days when his supply has been replenished are awful
Behold

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by AkanIgbo: 3:01am On May 04, 2015
sukkot:
you are speaking rubbish. the ffirst slave holding state in the 13 union country only wanted igbo slaves because they were subservient not because they were rebellious. it is documented virginia history

Produce the documentation.

We are waiting.

6 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by OneNaira6: 3:01am On May 04, 2015
babyosisi:

The land where Obas and male governors bleach talking about Igbo women bleaching
Hahahahaha
Which Yoruba actress is not bleaching[b]
You need to see Yoruba women in America
The bleaching craze is pathetic

Lmfaooo. What we seeing from that one is pure jelousi.
He went from red eboe was not named after igbo, provide proof, him waka run. I did it for him,he started talking about stories of more slaves in caribbean than whites
Then he went to igbo slaves are docile, provide proof him don dey shift goal. You provided it for him and he started story that there were more slaves in the Caribbean than whites hence the more rebellion. That usa slaves didn't rebel.
His usa slaves didn't rebel story was challenged by akanigbo. He continued to run mouth, Oya provide proof, him story changed to few rebels.
Now his new story is that there are no lightskin igbo, all light na bleach grin grin grin yet europeans, AA, Caribbean, etc already documented on lightskin igbo way before bleach was created.

Our self claimed historian. Chei!!

That dude jealousi eeh. Him jealous eeh, even Hatorade don dey look am like shocked

At the bold, tell me about it. It's like they want to kill themselves with skincancer. Funny thing when you see them, you automatically know the skin is not natural. Anyway na their life, if them wan kill thselves. That's their own.

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Phut(f): 3:01am On May 04, 2015
AkanIgbo:

Another gem from you. You should spend sometime reading and less time responding with simple minded replies. There were constant rebellions in the USA. Most were small rebellions, because slaves were kept on smaller farms in the USA. You are reading about the bigger rebellions that most writers of the day covered. Not only that but the Northern States in the USA ended slavery in their region long before it was abolished in the rest of the USA during the Civil war, so Northern black people had no need to rebel. Read more. Write less in the future.

For real, though
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by sukkot: 3:02am On May 04, 2015
sukkot:
if i had to look for links for all the questions i am fielding from you biafrans, you would have overwhelmed me easily. notice it is me againt like 5 of you ? when i post this comment and check the top of my notice board it says i have 3 mentions. so you see ? i dont have time to fetch links just now
AkanIgbo:

Produce the documentation.

We are waiting.
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Nobody: 3:03am On May 04, 2015
Still on bleaching
How about baba suwe
He was doing alright until his cocaine saga when he couldn't reach his bleaching cream while in captivity and his complexion returned

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by sukkot: 3:03am On May 04, 2015
AkanIgbo:

you dont know what you are talking about. all slave rebellions is documented history. europeans document everything
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Phut(f): 3:05am On May 04, 2015
babyosisi:
The Awujale of Ijebuland
Oba Sikiru Adetona is another bleacher whose case don dey chronic
Some days are good then some days when his supply has been replenished are awful
Behold

Chai! Chai! Chai! Na the same person be that? grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by AkanIgbo: 3:06am On May 04, 2015
sukkot:
you dont know what you are talking about. all slave rebellions is documented history. europeans document everything

Still no documentation from you. I have produced documents for you, now you need to produce some documents or else you are a clown.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Phut(f): 3:06am On May 04, 2015
babyosisi:
Still on bleaching
How about baba suwe
He was doing alright until his cocaine saga when he couldn't reach his bleaching cream while in captivity and his complexion returned

Babyosisi, you are on a roll. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Nobody: 3:06am On May 04, 2015
Finally

the Alaafin of Oyo Lamidi adeyemi,a bona fide bleacher
the Oba of Tura
He has 4 wives and they all use the same product

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by sukkot: 3:07am On May 04, 2015
AkanIgbo:

Still no documentation from you. I have produced documents for you, now you need to produce some documents or else you are a clown.
you will get your documents. you just have to be patient. not a common trait amongst you biafrans. patience, that is
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Nobody: 3:08am On May 04, 2015
See akala and lamidi sharing bleaching tips

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Nobody: 3:10am On May 04, 2015
Who said he has not seen fair complexioned igbo people?
Do u live in mars?
Start from nollywood na.
Haba!
U can lie shocked

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Phut(f): 3:10am On May 04, 2015
babyosisi:
Finally

the Alaafin of Oyo Lamidi adeyemi,a bona fide bleacher
the Oba of Tura
He has 4 wives and they all use the same product

LMAO @ Oba of Tura
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Nobody: 3:11am On May 04, 2015
babyosisi:
See akala and lamidi sharing bleaching tips
Baby, those men bleached? shocked
Why now?
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by OneNaira6: 3:13am On May 04, 2015
sukkot:
you will get your documents. you just have to be patient. not a common trait amongst you biafrans. patience, that is

How long does it take to provide one proof of all You've been saying which according to you is well documented. How long? we all have been answering questions and still giving links or book. You on the other hand have been talking but yet have not provided anything; when asked why, your reply is because you've been answering question. Abeg see this one. How long does it take to provide ONE proof, we not even asking for many, just ONE proof of your well documented history.

Mr history teacher, Oya why you come dey teach nonsense

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Phut(f): 3:13am On May 04, 2015
moca:

Baby, those men bleached? shocked
Why now?

You no see the: ihu fanta, mkpisi aka coke?

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Nobody: 3:14am On May 04, 2015
babyosisi:

cheesy grin
What is this? shocked
A man? shocked
See knuckles shocked

It's a lie.
So how will his third leg look like?

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by bigfrancis21: 3:15am On May 04, 2015
sukkot:
well most portuguese speaking black people are yoruba. its all a question of where the slave ships docked that determined if you spoke english, french, portuguese or spanish. all black people ferried on slave ships were but a boat ride away in terms of what language they would speak in future generations

You can't be so sure about that. The spread of yoruba-derived religions deceive people to mean that the yoruba population must have been substantial, however, the total number of yorubas sold in slavery were not that many. Remember that the yorubas came from the bight of benin, and slaves sold from this bight included ewes (evegbe), fon, akan, adja, yorubas, etc, thus in actuality, the percentage of yorubas out of the numbers sold from bight of benin is quite small. More Akan people from Ghana were sold into slavery than the Yorubas. Not to forget hunderds of yorubas that later returned back to africa and settled in Nigeria and Sierra Leone, thus reducing the surviving population further in the new world. Now compare the yoruba figure with bight of biafra where only a few tribes were sold out from and the Igbos were the overwhelming majority. It is estimated that about 1.4 million Igbos were sold into slavery.

Senegambia, the Gold Coast, and the Bight of Benin

Of the approximately 388,000 Africans who landed in America, almost 92,000 (24 percent) were Senegambians. In the early decades of immigration to the Chesapeake region before 1700, there were more immigrants from Senegambia (almost 6,000) than from the Bight of Biafra (about 5,000), and they totaled about 31,000 by the end of the migration, representing almost a third of all arrivals from Senegambia. About 45,000 Senegambians were settled in the coastal Low Country of the Carolinas and Georgia, where they constituted 21 percent of African immigrants. Senegambians were also prominent among African immigrants in the northern colonies, accounting for about 28 percent of arrivals, or over 7,000 people. Almost 9,000 Senegambians — often identified as Bambara or Mandingo — went to the Gulf region, especially to Louisiana, where they constituted about 40 percent of the population arriving from Africa.

Hence, people from Senegambia were prominent everywhere in the United States, much more so than virtually anywhere else in the Western Hemisphere, although there were also considerable numbers of Senegambians in the French Caribbean islands and in French Guiana. Senegambia was strongly influenced by Islam, more so than any other region of origin, which means that many enslaved Africans in the United States had been exposed to Islam, more so proportionately than in the rest of the Americas.

There were many Muslims in Brazil in the nineteenth century, mostly in Bahia, but they came from the central Sudan (northern Nigeria and adjacent areas), unlike those who were sent to the United States. Muslims were clearly present in both the low country of Carolina and Georgia and in the Tidewater region of Virginia and Maryland. Adult Muslim males stand out prominently, while there are very few references to Muslim women. This reflects what is known about the slave trade originating in the interior of West Africa, which was composed almost entirely of males.

Another 15 to 20 percent of Africans were originally from the Gold Coast and neighboring parts of the Windward Coast (Ivory Coast). Twi was their common language, and most people were identified as Akan. They were concentrated in the Carolinas and Georgia, where they amounted to perhaps 18-20 percent of immigrants, or up to 70,000 people. In addition, they were also found in the Chesapeake, representing as many as 15-20,000 people, or 12-15 percent of total immigration there. Africans from the Gold Coast were also prominent in the northern colonies, especially New England, because the slave traders of Rhode Island concentrated their activities there, accounting for the enforced immigration of some 7,000 people, or 30 percent of the total arriving there.

Some parts of Africa were important in the overall transatlantic slave trade to the Americas but were under-represented in the United States. Noticeably absent or of minor importance were Yoruba, Ewe/Fon/Allada/Mahi (people who spoke the so-called Gbe languages), and other people, including Muslims, brought from the far interior of the "Slave Coast" or Bight of Benin. This region was one of the most important sources of Africans for the Atlantic crossing, and people from the Bight of Benin were particularly prominent in the French Caribbean, Cuba, Trinidad, and Brazil.

The Nago

A brief study of the Nago nation label demonstrates the ambiguity involved in studying these terms. “Nago” as an ethnic identifier is linked to the African Yoruba language group. In addition to Saint Domingue, the term was used to describe Africans in Brazil, Louisiana, and the British West Indian colonies. Some American and Cuban documents identify this group as “Lucumi.” There are 401 advertisements in the slave database that identify individuals as Nago, 18 of which are part of the “nouveau” category. Most of the individuals who can be matched in the ship manifests originated at ports in the Bight of Benin: Onim-Lagos, Porto Novo, Whydah, Badagry, and Pogo. Two out of every ten slaves leaving the Bight of Benin ended up in Saint Domingue, while most of the rest went to Bahia in Brazil (cited by Gomez in Reversing Sail).
[img]http://sites.duke.edu/marronnagevoyages/files/2012/04/nagoport1.jpg[/img]
About 20% of African slaves originated in the Bight of Benin region during the Atlantic slave trade. Of the slaves in Saint Domingue from the Bight of Benin, the largest ethnic group was the Arada and the Nago-Yoruba population comprises 26.2%, according to data collected by Philip D. Curtin. Lovejoy’s study of the ethnic composition of slaves in Saint Domingue includes demographic details about the Nago population, indicating they had a significant presence in the colony.
[img]http://sites.duke.edu/marronnagevoyages/files/2012/04/lovejoy.jpg[/img]
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by sukkot: 3:16am On May 04, 2015
OneNaira6:

How long does it take to provide one proof of all You've been saying which according to you is well documented. How long we all have been answering questions and still giving links or book. You on the other hand I've taking but yet have not provided anything; when asked why, your reply is because you've been answering question. Abeg see this one. How long does it take to provide ONE proof, we not even asking for many, just ONE proof of your well documented history.

Mr history teacher, Oya why you come dey teach nonsense
if i google it will come up with millions of links. i cant remember the particular article because i have deleted it from my computer a year or two ago. so i have to hope the article is on the first three pages of google and then i have to sift through each article. i am not going to accomplish that in 5 minutes. its called RESEARCH. i will need about an hour to do this. hope that makes sense to you
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Nobody: 3:16am On May 04, 2015
Phut:

You no see the: ihu fanta, mkpisi aka coke?
Nne, my eyes have seen mwiii.
Babyosisi, where do u manufacture these from?
Chineke God ajukwa!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (24) (Reply)

Names Of Animals,insects And Birds In Hausa. / 131-year-old "Iya Orisa" Living Under Olumo Rock - Photos / 10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.