Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,071 members, 7,849,343 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 07:02 PM

Who Has The Constitutional Power To Slash The Salaries Of Senators - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Has The Constitutional Power To Slash The Salaries Of Senators (32255 Views)

MAGU FIGHTS BACK: Intensifies Probe Of Senators, Ex-govs / List Of Senators That Mandated Customs Boss, Hammed Ali To Reappear In Uniform / Kaduna Preaching Bill: Resolving The Constitutional Controversy (1) ...punch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Has The Constitutional Power To Slash The Salaries Of Senators by jamex93(m): 4:09pm On May 04, 2015
hmmm
Re: Who Has The Constitutional Power To Slash The Salaries Of Senators by cool318(m): 4:12pm On May 04, 2015
atlwireles:

You probably listen and watched a different campaign in the last 5 years in this country. The fake and pretentious progressives in this country have had the votes needed to make the change needed with the Revenue Mobilisation Allocation and
Fiscal Commission act if they wanted. Why couldn't all the Mr clean in NASS led by the new gov elect of Sokoto, make any change to the revenue formula. Even the 3% was because NOI insisted on the NASS making some cuts, this earned her enemies in the NASS, for daring to ask for cuts from them. The loudest opposition to these cuts are in charge today.

There are no solutions as things stand today, because the structural change this country needs is viewed with fear and trepidation in some sections of this country. Many of you hate the truth, because you want to pretend yesterday never happened.

Cool, thats nice Bro, I Love that revealing piece of Info. Not everybody here knows that Nigeria has been Wounded beyond STRUCTURAL REPAIRS.

2 Likes

Re: Who Has The Constitutional Power To Slash The Salaries Of Senators by free2ryhme: 4:13pm On May 04, 2015
TRIBALSTOOGE:
only constitutional power is the truth .

rivers of blood has been shed .

enough of this antics of unworkable place call nigga-area ,

it is declared desolate ,non functional .

back to my mama land ,keep your father land created by lord lugard .

lower niger congress i am yearning for you .

give us referendum now ,i command .

Empty persuasion
Re: Who Has The Constitutional Power To Slash The Salaries Of Senators by eph12(m): 4:15pm On May 04, 2015
Thank God APC is majority in the NASS now. They'll surely push for reduction in their salaries and bonuses.
Re: Who Has The Constitutional Power To Slash The Salaries Of Senators by tomdon(m): 4:19pm On May 04, 2015
the rmac
Re: Who Has The Constitutional Power To Slash The Salaries Of Senators by IAmTobore(m): 4:20pm On May 04, 2015
They, themselves!
Re: Who Has The Constitutional Power To Slash The Salaries Of Senators by Nobody: 4:21pm On May 04, 2015
Sadly, noone can except they decide within themselves...
Re: Who Has The Constitutional Power To Slash The Salaries Of Senators by kazmanbanjoko(m): 4:22pm On May 04, 2015
I tink d legislators

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Has The Constitutional Power To Slash The Salaries Of Senators by bayulll01(m): 4:24pm On May 04, 2015
barcanista:
@OP: The Revenue Mobilisation Allocation and Fiscal Commission determines the remuneration of Public office holders EXCEPT the Judiciary. However, the commission is guided by law of the Parliament (NAsS). The allocation cannot be modified or reviewed by the President except the law establishing it is amended by members of National Assembly. In other words, they still have the key. The best a President can do is to persuade members of NASS to amend the law guiding RMAFC. Otherwise, he can only make empty rant. He can't even change what his VP, Ministers, SAs, SSAs or even himself earn. He can only decide to forfeit a percentage of his income. As for the NASS, I bet you that any bill to amend the law guiding RMAFC will be killed upon arrival.

Son of bitterness your analysis is so flaw and silly,all the president need to do is lead by examples and organized a live chat and televised live and let people know that the all the money for development is being used to serviced our law makers we elected to make good law that will improvise our life,bet me they won't even need to appeal to any law makers before they do the right thing,cos we people voted for them,and we will remove them

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Has The Constitutional Power To Slash The Salaries Of Senators by chiefinalowo: 4:24pm On May 04, 2015
Law makers' salary is worrisome.
Re: Who Has The Constitutional Power To Slash The Salaries Of Senators by Nobody: 4:24pm On May 04, 2015
atlwireles:
These are some of the basic facts in this country, most APC supporters never heard about angry. They thought emperor Jonathan had the power of life and death in his hands. They are all in for a great surprise come May 29. Imagine, APC in Osun state telling their people, Buhari will increase their allocation undecided
Oponu
Re: Who Has The Constitutional Power To Slash The Salaries Of Senators by Nobody: 4:26pm On May 04, 2015
I don't believe that man is the Boko Haram Food supplier.He looks hungry himself
Re: Who Has The Constitutional Power To Slash The Salaries Of Senators by deletrue: 4:26pm On May 04, 2015
cool318:
Have been arguing this out with guys in my Hood.
I need more clarifications after listening to STV Boss yesterday, the Senator elect- Ben Bruce during the STV Awards, on how he wants to advocate for the slash in the Monstrous allowances given to Law makers.
How feasible is this, who has the power.
cc tit
jphilips
Obiageli
barcanista
et al
Who else if not Buhari. Change is here. That is a confirmed and it is a top periority issue of apc. Buhari himself comfirmed that there are no two ways on that issue. It involves the two houses, ie the house of reps, and the senator. According to him, that will be his starting point.
Re: Who Has The Constitutional Power To Slash The Salaries Of Senators by shegxi(m): 4:30pm On May 04, 2015
atlwireles:

You probably listen and watched a different campaign in the last 5 years in this country. The fake and pretentious progressives in this country have had the votes needed to make the change needed with the Revenue Mobilisation Allocation and
Fiscal Commission act if they wanted. Why couldn't all the Mr clean in NASS led by the new gov elect of Sokoto, make any change to the revenue formula. Even the 3% was because NOI insisted on the NASS making some cuts, this earned her enemies in the NASS, for daring to ask for cuts from them. The loudest opposition to these cuts are in charge today.

There are no solutions as things stand today, because the structural change this country needs is viewed with fear and trepidation in some sections of this country. Many of you hate the truth, because you want to pretend yesterday never happened.
bro, y have u forgotten so soon dat pdp has always been d majority party in d national assembly? If they really want to reduce d salary, they would have with d president man david mark in charge. You are trying to villify tambuwal but i put it to you dat d senate is d real problem.
Re: Who Has The Constitutional Power To Slash The Salaries Of Senators by petermichaels(m): 4:31pm On May 04, 2015
D mases can stage an uproah and their voices will b heard. Take d uproar to them and their families. There is noting that canot b achieved in democracy by mass protest. Bt wait oh wat am i talkn sef? We wil rada fyt over tribal and religious difference instead of 4 d gud of d country. Afta we go shout e go beta. Hmmn! If i hear.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Has The Constitutional Power To Slash The Salaries Of Senators by atlwireles: 4:32pm On May 04, 2015
shegxi:
bro, y have u forgotten so soon dat pdp has always been d majority party in d national assembly? If they really want to reduce d salary, they would have with d president man david mark in charge. You are trying to villify tambuwal but i put it to you dat d senate is d real problem.

PDP had a majority? You know something I don't know. When it comes to structural changes in Nigeria, PDP never had a majority.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Constitutional Power To Slash The Salaries Of Senators by Nobody: 4:34pm On May 04, 2015
phlemzy:
Does it mean that if our lawmakers choose to pay themselves N1bn monthly,it cannot be in anyway be challenged? Has RMAFC not found anything faulty about how much each lawmaker takes home monthly. In fact,how is the head of RMAFC chosen? So many things need to be checked. Their salaries & allowances should be within the same range as those in other countries across the world. Enough of all these Jamboree when the common man cannot is left to struggle with a day's meal out there.

The lawmakers can't decide to pay themselves one billion per month. This is because the president would need to sign it before it becomes law.
Re: Who Has The Constitutional Power To Slash The Salaries Of Senators by Champele(m): 4:41pm On May 04, 2015
If there can be uprising for this,im ready to do die for it. Im angry for this set of people called law makers.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Has The Constitutional Power To Slash The Salaries Of Senators by shegxi(m): 4:41pm On May 04, 2015
The major problem has always been dat we have leaders who dn't want to lead by example. Even with all d legislative /constitutional roadblocks, if we have honest and sincere leaders, things will move and d country will prosper. Let d president, vp and ministers decide to take pay cut today and let us see if shame will not force d senators to look inward too. When d senators demselves knw wat oga at d top is siphoning, y shld they be perturbed?
NOI told us dere will be austerity and d austerity onli affected capital projects and even at dat, we wuld still have to borrow to shore up our expenditure, imagine if our political office holders take a pay cut of up to 30%....do u guys realise how much money will be available in d system?

2 Likes

Re: Who Has The Constitutional Power To Slash The Salaries Of Senators by nkemdi89(f): 4:42pm On May 04, 2015
How do you expect the members to agree to the reduction when to secure the ticket for nass alone is up to 250millions not to talk of the main election. We are running an expensive democracy.

2 Likes

Re: Who Has The Constitutional Power To Slash The Salaries Of Senators by Myself2(m): 4:45pm On May 04, 2015
barcanista:
@OP: The Revenue Mobilisation Allocation and Fiscal Commission determines the remuneration of Public office holders EXCEPT the Judiciary. However, the commission is guided by law of the Parliament (NAsS). The allocation cannot be modified or reviewed by the President except the law establishing it is amended by members of National Assembly. In other words, they still have the key. The best a President can do is to persuade members of NASS to amend the law guiding RMAFC. Otherwise, he can only make empty rant. He can't even change what his VP, Ministers, SAs, SSAs or even himself earn. He can only decide to forfeit a percentage of his income. As for the NASS, I bet you that any bill to amend the law guiding RMAFC will be killed upon arrival.

Barcanista on point once more, I couldn't have explained it better

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Constitutional Power To Slash The Salaries Of Senators by Myself2(m): 4:50pm On May 04, 2015
phlemzy:
Does it mean that if our lawmakers choose to pay themselves N1bn monthly,it cannot be in anyway be challenged? Has RMAFC not found anything faulty about how much each lawmaker takes home monthly. In fact,how is the head of RMAFC chosen? So many things need to be checked. Their salaries & allowances should be within the same range as those in other countries across the world. Enough of all these Jamboree when the common man cannot is left to struggle with a day's meal out there.

The way to go is that civil society organisations should form pressure groups, sponsor private bills to come u der matters of urgent national importance and occupy the NASS till the bill is read and adopted on both floors.I know a handful of senators and representatives that have personally expressed their support for a cut in their total emoluments, they can be co-opted into such a movement

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Constitutional Power To Slash The Salaries Of Senators by shegxi(m): 4:51pm On May 04, 2015
atlwireles:

PDP had a majority? You know something I don't know. When it comes to structural changes in Nigeria, PDP never had a majority.
they have always had, aside dat....they have never resolved to change it demselves. Abi was it nt same nass dat passed homosexual bills? D problem is d will to act, numbers have never been an excuse for them!!!
Re: Who Has The Constitutional Power To Slash The Salaries Of Senators by shegxi(m): 4:55pm On May 04, 2015
nkemdi89:
How do you expect the members to agree to the reduction when to secure the ticket for nass alone is up to 250millions not to talk of the main election. We are running an expensive democracy.
it is a classical case of which comes first d hen or d egg? Reduce d salary and i bet u no one will campaign wit 250million.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Constitutional Power To Slash The Salaries Of Senators by mykelly(m): 4:56pm On May 04, 2015
Ben Bruce doesn't know what he is saying....is all propaganda
Re: Who Has The Constitutional Power To Slash The Salaries Of Senators by olalekan1(m): 4:58pm On May 04, 2015
Only the citizens can stop them. The lawmakers will never debate on any issue that will have negative effect on their pockets. They became lawmakers just for the pay and not for the interest of Nigerians.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Has The Constitutional Power To Slash The Salaries Of Senators by shegxi(m): 4:58pm On May 04, 2015
Dats y i sincerely hope saraki or any former governor do not become d senate president, weda apc or pdp, dose former governors are same click. From both side, dino melaye(apc) and ben bruce(pdp) have publicly xpressed dere intent to fight for reduction of allowance, i hope d senate cabal wnt supress dem.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Constitutional Power To Slash The Salaries Of Senators by ammyluv2002(f): 5:01pm On May 04, 2015
And these are the kind of topics that should hit the front page........Very interesting

3 Likes

Re: Who Has The Constitutional Power To Slash The Salaries Of Senators by Kingspin(m): 5:02pm On May 04, 2015
Slashing our law makers salaries should be the real campaign change not those rubbish backyard changes we had before the last election.
Re: Who Has The Constitutional Power To Slash The Salaries Of Senators by ammyluv2002(f): 5:03pm On May 04, 2015
shegxi:
Dats y i sincerely hope saraki or any former governor do not become d senate president, weda apc or pdp, dose former governors are same click. From both side, dino melaye(apc) and ben bruce(pdp) have publicly xpressed dere intent to fight for reduction of allowance, i hope d senate cabal wnt supress dem.
All politicians are the same at least 95% so it doesn't really matter who's the Senate president

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Female Kidnapper Apprehended In Ikorodu / I Have Fulfilled My Promise To Retire Akume - Ortom / The President’s Men: Those Who Do The Legwork In Aso Rock

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.