Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,218 members, 7,815,257 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:44 AM

Boko Haram In Disarray As Shortage Of Arms, Fuel Hits Insurgents - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boko Haram In Disarray As Shortage Of Arms, Fuel Hits Insurgents (21832 Views)

End Of Fuel Scarcity As Fuel Hits 115 Naira At Forte Oil Plc / CCT: Saraki’s Camp In Disarray As Senators Seek End To Crises / APC In Disarray Over Faleke’s Decision. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boko Haram In Disarray As Shortage Of Arms, Fuel Hits Insurgents by Amaudeogu(m): 4:23am On May 05, 2015
By Michael Eboh, with agency report

Indications emerged, yesterday, that Boko Haram is in disarray, following shortages of weapons and fuel that had caused tensions between its foot soldiers and leaders, women rescued from the Islamist jihadi fighters by Nigerian troops told newsmen.

The group abducted an estimated 2,000 women and girls last year as it sought to carve out an Islamic state in the North-East of Africa’s biggest economy.

Click to watch video of fleeing Boko Haram members

The army has freed nearly 700 in the past week as it advances on Boko Haram’s last stronghold in the vast Sambisa Forest.

Women, who were rescued from the terrorists, said the militants began complaining to their captives about lack of guns and ammunition last month, and many were reduced to carrying sticks, while some of their vehicles had either broken down or lacked gasoline.

A 45-year-old mother of two, Aisha Abbas, who was taken from Dikwa in April, said the fighters all had guns at first, but that recently only some had guns.

Even the wife of their captors’ leader, Adam Bitri, openly criticized him and subsequently fled, two of the women said, with one describing Bitri as short and fat with a beard.

Horror tales
*Boko haram

*Boko haram

Of the 275 freed captives brought to a government-run camp for internally displaced people in the Malkohi hamlet on the outskirts of Yola, Adamawa State capital, only 61 were over 18, and many small children hobbled around, visibly malnourished.

The women said they were kept inside, occasionally brought food and sometimes beaten severely.

The children were left to run around or do errands for Boko Haram members, while those of the fighters were trained to shoot guns.

One of the women, 18-year-old Binta Ibrahim from northern Adamawa State, said: “One evening in April, Boko Haram followers stood before us and said ‘Our leaders don’t want to give us enough fuel and guns and now the soldiers are encroaching on us in Sambisa. We will leave you’.

“They threatened us, but after they left, we were happy and prayed the soldiers would come and save us.”

Crushed

The women said once the militants spotted two helicopters circling at noon on the day of their rescue, they began trying to sell the women for up to 2,000 naira (about $10) each.

Towards evening, as the army approached, the captives refused to flee with Boko Haram fighters, who began stoning them, but then ran away.

Salamatu Mohamed, from Damboa area in Borno, said: “We heard bullets flying around and laid on the floor.

“Some of the women were crushed (by army vehicles) and others wounded by bullets. 18 were killed. We counted them; they included infants.”

Mohamed said she gave birth, while in captivity and had trouble feeding her newborn as there was not enough food.

The women said the men frequently threatened to sell them or bring them to Boko Haram’s elusive leader, Abubakar Shekau, deep in the forest.

Nigeria has claimed to have killed him several times.

Defence spokesman, Chris Olukolade, told newsmen the man was not a priority target.

Hanatu Musa, a 22-year old mother kidnapped in June last from Gwoza in Borno State, quoted the fighters as saying their leader had deceived them into fighting and killing in the name of religion.

While the Nigerian army, which launched its counter-attack in January, is confident it has the group cornered in the Sambisa nature reserve, a final push to clear them from the area has been curtailed by landmines.

Elusive Chibok schoolgirls

None of the women interviewed had seen any of the Chibok schoolgirls, but Abbas said fighters, who travelled from a camp in Sambisa where they were held, to source food, would describe the situation.

She said: “They said the Chibok girls were married off this year. Some sold to slavery, then some militants married two or four of the girls.”

Meanwhile, many of the women and girls rescued from Boko Haram are traumatized and showing signs of depression, with psychological counselling urgently needed as they recover in camps, relief officials said Monday.

“For some of them, who are really showing signs of trauma, we need to make them realize that this is not the end of life,” said Sa’ad Bello, National Emergency Management Agency, NEMA, camp coordinator in Adamawa State.

“They need trauma counselling and psycho-social support to develop coping mechanisms,” he said, adding that many of the female hostages appeared to be suffering from serious depression, after enduring sustained abuse by their Islamists captors.

A total of 275 women and children were brought to a camp in Adamawa’s capital Yola, weekend, following a military operation to free them in Boko Haram’s Sambisa Forest stronghold.

NEMA spokesman, Manzo Ezekiel, said a priority was to provide “trauma management so they are not treated as outcasts when they go back to society.”

Ezekiel said the authorities were keen to avoid the women being stigmatized in religiously conservative northern Nigeria, with reports Boko Haram may have kept some as sex slaves.

Medical tests would not only check for conditions such as malaria, but sexually transmitted diseases, Ezekiel said.

Killed by landmines, tanks

Two women described how militant fighters tried to force them into marrying rebels after they were captured and how their escape turned to tragedy as about three women were killed by landmines.

Others were crushed by tanks as they hid in the undergrowth of the dense forest to avoid being caught in the crossfire between the soldiers and Boko Haram insurgents.

- See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/05/boko-haram-in-disarray-as-shortage-of-arms-fuel-hits-insurgents/#sthash.RhIyLhcz.dpuf

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Boko Haram In Disarray As Shortage Of Arms, Fuel Hits Insurgents by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 4:25am On May 05, 2015
Book your days are numbered, there's a new sherriff in town.
Meanwhile may I smile in celebration of my FTC
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram In Disarray As Shortage Of Arms, Fuel Hits Insurgents by nnachukz(m): 4:39am On May 05, 2015
God will surely see us through this trying time.

3 Likes

Re: Boko Haram In Disarray As Shortage Of Arms, Fuel Hits Insurgents by nnachukz(m): 4:45am On May 05, 2015
What BH boys failed to understand is that the aim for organizing them has been achieved. Somebody that needs to be in power has used them to get there, so no more supply for them.

63 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Boko Haram In Disarray As Shortage Of Arms, Fuel Hits Insurgents by pedel: 5:06am On May 05, 2015
nnachukz:
What BH boys failed to understand is that the aim for organizing them has been achieved. Somebody that needs to be in power has used them to get there, so no more supply for them.

Bros you have been advised to stop drinking road side alcohol. Apart from the fact that it is not good for your liver, it is also affecting your thinking and reasoning. What evidence do you have to prove that someone used them to get into power?
How come you know this and your president and C-in-C doesn't know?

Some people believe that your brothers were using the BH to siphon defence budget: like ferrying millions of dollars in private jet own by one of your brothers to South Africa.

Please, always post on nairaland before you drink your kainkain. Its just 5.00am now and see what ogogoro has done to your life.

Back to the topic: Nigeria will see the end of Boko Haram. Anyone who support their cause or sympathises with them will never know peace.

108 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Boko Haram In Disarray As Shortage Of Arms, Fuel Hits Insurgents by Basildvalour(m): 5:16am On May 05, 2015
Closer we are to curbing this national cum global menace

We will do it; God with us

4 Likes

Re: Boko Haram In Disarray As Shortage Of Arms, Fuel Hits Insurgents by nnachukz(m): 5:19am On May 05, 2015
pedel:

Bros you have been advised to stop drinking road side alcohol. Apart from the fact that it is not good for your liver, it is also affecting your thinking and reasoning. What evidence do you have to prove that someone used them to get into power?

Some people believe that your brothers were using the BH to siphon defence budget: like ferrying millions of dollars in private jet own by one of your brothers to South Africa.

Please, always post on nairaland before you drink your kainkain. Its just 5.00am now and see what ogogoro has done to your life.

Back to the topic: Nigeria will see the end of Boko Haram. Anyone who support their cause or sympathises with them will never know peace.
the only part I noted from what you wrote is the last paragraph. Next time state your opinion and move on, it is not a most to join issue with others whose opinions counters yours.

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Boko Haram In Disarray As Shortage Of Arms, Fuel Hits Insurgents by temitemi1(m): 5:22am On May 05, 2015
nnachukz:

14 Likes

Re: Boko Haram In Disarray As Shortage Of Arms, Fuel Hits Insurgents by pedel: 5:29am On May 05, 2015
nnachukz:
the only part I noted from what you wrote is the last paragraph. Next time state your opinion and move on, it is not a most to join issue with others whose opinions counters yours.
Was your's an opinion or a statement of fact? What do you stand to gain from making statements like someone used Boko Haram to get into power? Did Yaradua and GEJ used Boko Haram to get to power in 2007? You will be respected if you say things that are honest and not malicious to the reputation of other people.

53 Likes 1 Share

Re: Boko Haram In Disarray As Shortage Of Arms, Fuel Hits Insurgents by chidiebere2020(m): 5:57am On May 05, 2015
Boko haram, ur time is up, I smell victory

2 Likes

Re: Boko Haram In Disarray As Shortage Of Arms, Fuel Hits Insurgents by slap1(m): 6:05am On May 05, 2015
Really, elections have finished and so should their fuel.

6 Likes

Re: Boko Haram In Disarray As Shortage Of Arms, Fuel Hits Insurgents by Nobody: 6:11am On May 05, 2015
nnachukz:
Correct.
Sharp guy . . .

20 Likes

Re: Boko Haram In Disarray As Shortage Of Arms, Fuel Hits Insurgents by realtestament(m): 6:32am On May 05, 2015
Dis is the perfect time 2 hit dem hard....i believe in u guys(NA) keep making us proud.
#kill em all

2 Likes

Re: Boko Haram In Disarray As Shortage Of Arms, Fuel Hits Insurgents by omenka(m): 6:32am On May 05, 2015
pedel:

Sometimes it's best you allowed a pig have its shiit just as you would a cat its fish. It is pointless and may wind up an exercise in futility trying to keep them apart.

@post: I thought those bastards pledged allegiance to Abu Bakr al Bagdadi, how come he's not making deliveries to them?? They've run of fuel, munitions, and even girls to put their filthy bodies on. I hope they soon run out of land to bury their dead.

Watched that video of them running from Sambisa bombardment and was furious to my marrows; why in God's name were they being allowed to make a getaway?? Why weren't their bloodthirsty asssess incinerated by hellfire missiles while they ran like the sissies they are?

Good job NA, but don't get too complacent. We must continue to consolidate the gains made on the battle field.

Once we succeed in starving them of funds too, this knotty issue would be put behind us once and for all.

God bless Nigeria.

10 Likes

Re: Boko Haram In Disarray As Shortage Of Arms, Fuel Hits Insurgents by kazmanbanjoko(m): 7:05am On May 05, 2015
Nothing last forever, especially something that doesn't pleases the public. e.g. Boko haram, shekau, jonathan, pdp, fuel scarcity, etc.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Boko Haram In Disarray As Shortage Of Arms, Fuel Hits Insurgents by Nobody: 7:10am On May 05, 2015
I'm soo bored right now on a tuesday morning in my room. Even tho I hav a test due in two hrs. I want to text someone but they boring. I decided to just comment this instead. If this makes fp, please hit like to help boost my mood. Thanks smiley smiley

25 Likes

Re: Boko Haram In Disarray As Shortage Of Arms, Fuel Hits Insurgents by Nobody: 7:41am On May 05, 2015
Buhari children
I love transformation
I hate "change"
Quote me to blast me and ya will never make it in life

3 Likes

Re: Boko Haram In Disarray As Shortage Of Arms, Fuel Hits Insurgents by efilefun(m): 7:42am On May 05, 2015
The Robot above needs urgent medical attention!!!! Why is IT scared of been blasted thought they were all shouting "Freedom of speech" confused E-rats

Well since funds stopped coming from the top what else do you expect

5 Likes

Re: Boko Haram In Disarray As Shortage Of Arms, Fuel Hits Insurgents by Nobody: 7:43am On May 05, 2015
nnachukz:
God will surely see us through this trying time.

That statement has been a problem deeply rooted in Nigerians.

2 Likes

Re: Boko Haram In Disarray As Shortage Of Arms, Fuel Hits Insurgents by LMAyedun(m): 7:43am On May 05, 2015
Some Good news to start my Rainy Tuesday morning...
Re: Boko Haram In Disarray As Shortage Of Arms, Fuel Hits Insurgents by apasino01: 7:43am On May 05, 2015
Some1 will jus wake up now say na Jonathanz fault
Re: Boko Haram In Disarray As Shortage Of Arms, Fuel Hits Insurgents by Nobody: 7:43am On May 05, 2015
I love transformation
I hate "change"

Gej forever

God bless Niger delta

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram In Disarray As Shortage Of Arms, Fuel Hits Insurgents by kazmanbanjoko(m): 7:43am On May 05, 2015
H

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Boko Haram In Disarray As Shortage Of Arms, Fuel Hits Insurgents by omenka(m): 7:43am On May 05, 2015
Monstertrucks:
I'm soo bored right now on a tuesday morning in my room. Even tho I hav a test due in two hrs. I want to text someone but they boring. I decided to just comment this instead. If this makes fp, please hit like to help boost my mood. Thanks smiley smiley
I gave you one. And best wishes on your test.
Re: Boko Haram In Disarray As Shortage Of Arms, Fuel Hits Insurgents by ikkkkk: 7:44am On May 05, 2015
nnachukz:

A million likes for your comment.

11 Likes

Re: Boko Haram In Disarray As Shortage Of Arms, Fuel Hits Insurgents by jazinogold(m): 7:46am On May 05, 2015
lol.......mk dem go buy black market now!
Re: Boko Haram In Disarray As Shortage Of Arms, Fuel Hits Insurgents by Atk01(f): 7:46am On May 05, 2015
At least, one good thing came out of the fuel crisis.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Boko Haram In Disarray As Shortage Of Arms, Fuel Hits Insurgents by Nobody: 7:46am On May 05, 2015
Ntor!
Re: Boko Haram In Disarray As Shortage Of Arms, Fuel Hits Insurgents by TonyCoaL01(m): 7:46am On May 05, 2015
God ll surely make a way for you dis year. Amen
Re: Boko Haram In Disarray As Shortage Of Arms, Fuel Hits Insurgents by Nobody: 7:46am On May 05, 2015
omenka:
I gave you one. And best wishes on your test.
cheesy
Re: Boko Haram In Disarray As Shortage Of Arms, Fuel Hits Insurgents by Nobody: 7:47am On May 05, 2015
[quote author=nnachukz post=33429781]
c'mon sharrap there!
Is it everything that has mouth that must speak?
I just don't understand you ladies and your peanut brains...
Anu ofia!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Aisha Buhari Distributes Supplements To Pregnant, Nursing Mums / Tighter Security For Magu After Gun Attack On EFCC / Deji Adeyanju's Re-arrest Shameful- Timi Frank ...says Osinbajo, Buratai

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.