Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,761 members, 7,813,522 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:24 PM

S/south Deserves Reps Speaker ‎based On Federal Character –iriase - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / S/south Deserves Reps Speaker ‎based On Federal Character –iriase (1095 Views)

Caption This Photo Of House Of Reps Speaker, Yakubu Dogara In Action / APC Urged To Consider S-south For House Of Reps Speaker / ​​OPC Leader, Gani Adams​,​ Visit​s​ South Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

S/south Deserves Reps Speaker ‎based On Federal Character –iriase by Nobody: 8:38am On May 05, 2015
House of Representatives member from Edo State, ‎Mr. Pally Iriase, on Monday, appealed to the leadership of the All Progressives Congress

(APC) to zone the post of Speaker of the House to the South-South geo-political zone based on the principle of federal character asenshrined in the constitution.

Iriase, who represents Owan Federal Constituency, made theappeal, in Abuja, while speaking to journalists about his aspiration to be elected the Speaker of the House.

He said Section 14 (3) of the 1999 Constitution (as amended), in the spirit of fairness, justice and with the intent of promotingnational unity frowns upon the preponderance of persons from a fewstates or from one ethnic or sectional groups controlling politicalpower in any form.

Arguing that the APC was inexorably bound to respect the federalcharacter principle as contained in the constitution, Iriase addedthata lawmaker from the South-South zone deserved to be Speaker since the President-elect was from the North-West and the Vice- President-elect was from the South-West.

“Therefore, based on the federal character provision of theconstitution, neither of these zones should get priority on the queuefor the presiding officers of the National Assembly.

“When you consider the implication of the foregoing and factor in thefeasible permutations for the presiding officers of the Senate, it is clear that the South-South should be given the nod to produce the Speaker for the

House of Representatives by the APC,” he said.

Iriase warned the hierarchy of the APC to learn from history andavoid falling victim to what happened to the Peoples

Democratic Party (PDP) in 2011 in the choice of a speaker.

“I don’t wish for my party the route the PDP went through in 2011.

He said his agenda if elected speaker would be to enthronetransparency and promote the anti-corruption stance of the Buhariadministration, promote prudent management and overall good governance, alongside a dogged defence and preservation of the respect andintegrity of the legislature.

http://.com/discussion/327/s-south-deserves-reps-speaker-%E2%80%8Ebased-on-federal-character-iriase/p1
Re: S/south Deserves Reps Speaker ‎based On Federal Character –iriase by Nobody: 8:43am On May 05, 2015
I have been following the Speakership and Senate Presidency issue, all I can deduce is that the owners of APC does not see SE and SS pppeople that are members of the party as major stakeholder. To them, it is all about the NE, SW and SW. Anyway, it's their party and their business.

So oga Iriase Speak for yourself. South South deserve Fiscal Federalism and Resource Control. Who give a hoot about Speakership or even Senate Presidency?

4 Likes

Re: S/south Deserves Reps Speaker ‎based On Federal Character –iriase by Nobody: 8:45am On May 05, 2015
barcanista:
Oga Speak for yourself. South South deserve Fiscal Federalism and Resource Control. Who give a hoot about Speakership or even Senate Presidency?

every one is entitled to his opinion. including you, brother.
Re: S/south Deserves Reps Speaker ‎based On Federal Character –iriase by Medley(m): 8:49am On May 05, 2015
The APC with news emanating has zoned the senate presidency to the north-west or north-east,I don't see this flying.

I just want to believe that the in sharing this position the main criteria should be efficiency and not some sharing formulas,because we can't be doing things the same way always.

It's still left to Tinubu the king-maker - though the members are saying they want to choose their leader.
Re: S/south Deserves Reps Speaker ‎based On Federal Character –iriase by Nobody: 8:51am On May 05, 2015
shachris:

every one is entitled to his opinion. including you, brother.
That's why I said he should speak for himself. The so-called Speakership is his personal interest. I don't see how being a Speaker gives SS an extra seat in the Parliament. The primary interest of the SS now bothers on Fiscal Federalism. Others are secondary!

4 Likes

Re: S/south Deserves Reps Speaker ‎based On Federal Character –iriase by AhmedMustapha(m): 8:56am On May 05, 2015
Speaker of the House will be a tough one for the SS/SE going by the recent battle between the NE/SW for that seat. Rochas has pleaded with the APC to hand SE deputy if they can't get the number one seat.
Re: S/south Deserves Reps Speaker ‎based On Federal Character –iriase by egbaguy: 8:57am On May 05, 2015
barcanista:
That's why I said he should speak for himself. The so-called Speakership is his personal interest. I don't see how being a Speaker gives SS an extra seat in the Parliament. The primary interest of the SS now bothers on Fiscal Federalism. Others are secondary!
u guys arte bloody hypocrites....where were u during gej's term? Did u guys call for fiscal federalism and resource control?

2 Likes

Re: S/south Deserves Reps Speaker ‎based On Federal Character –iriase by Nobody: 9:06am On May 05, 2015
egbaguy:
u guys arte bloody hypocrites....where were u during gej's term? Did u guys call for fiscal federalism and resource control?
Were you blind or dumb to see that Fiscal Federalism and Resource Control were the Chief of South South/East demand in the 2014 National Conference? Do you think our demands start and end with the Office of the President?

Go check the meaning of hypocrisy and look yourself in the mirror

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: S/south Deserves Reps Speaker ‎based On Federal Character –iriase by wirinet(m): 9:11am On May 05, 2015
barcanista:
I agree with you 100%, but the question is, why NOW ? why was fiscal federal federalism not the interest of the SS while our brother was in power?
Re: S/south Deserves Reps Speaker ‎based On Federal Character –iriase by egbaguy: 9:11am On May 05, 2015
barcanista:
Were you blind or dumb to see that Fiscal Federalism and Resource Control were the Chief of South South/East demand in the 2014 National Conference? Do you think our demands start and end with the Office of the President?

ok....i blame myself for mentioning u.....No one take u serious again,i forgot!!!!

2 Likes

Re: S/south Deserves Reps Speaker ‎based On Federal Character –iriase by Nobody: 9:16am On May 05, 2015
wirinet:

I agree with you 1%, but the question is, why NOW ? why was fiscal federal federalism not the interest of the SS while our brother was in power?
Like I told one of your colleague, the demand for Fiscal Federalism and Resource control has always been on. At the last National conference, Fiscal Federalism was the chief of our demand. No time have we backed down from the demand to accept the status quo. You don't have to agree with me but you can't deny the obvious.

1 Like

Re: S/south Deserves Reps Speaker ‎based On Federal Character –iriase by Alexander24(m): 9:18am On May 05, 2015
Good morning all am new
Re: S/south Deserves Reps Speaker ‎based On Federal Character –iriase by Nobody: 9:25am On May 05, 2015
barcanista:
I have been following the Speakership and Senate Presidency issue, all I can deduce is that the owners of APC does not see SE and SS pppeople that are members of the party as major stakeholder. To them, it is all about the NE, SW and SW. Anyway, it's their party and their business.

So oga Iriase Speak for yourself. South South deserve Fiscal Federalism and Resource Control. Who give a hoot about Speakership or even Senate Presidency?

Re: S/south Deserves Reps Speaker ‎based On Federal Character –iriase by wirinet(m): 9:38am On May 05, 2015
barcanista:

The question is why did the government have to wait until a few months to elections before decreeing national conference? (the national conference had no legal backing). Why wait for appointed people to do the fight for fiscal federalism, why are our elected politicians not leading our fight for fiscal federalism? why was fiscal federalism not a campaign issue among SS politicians during the just concluded elections?

i am also a strong advocate of fiscal federalism, but i believe in using proper legal, political and diplomatic channels to achieve it than lip service bargaining chip for few politicians.

1 Like

Re: S/south Deserves Reps Speaker ‎based On Federal Character –iriase by Nobody: 9:51am On May 05, 2015
wirinet:

The question is why did the government have to wait until a few months to elections before decreeing national conference? (the national conference had no legal backing). Why wait for appointed people to do the fight for fiscal federalism, why are our elected politicians not leading our fight for fiscal federalism? why was fiscal federalism not a campaign issue among SS politicians during the just concluded elections?

i am also a strong advocate of fiscal federalism, but i believe in using proper legal, political and diplomatic channels to achieve it than lip service bargaining chip for few politicians.
All avenue for diplomacy has been exhausted. It is very clear that apart from the SS and SE bloc, no other blocs are interested in fiscal federalism that will include resource control of petroleum resources. Even the last confab was a testament to this! The demand has gone beyond the politicians, it is being pushed by the Lower Niger citizens.

2 Likes

Re: S/south Deserves Reps Speaker ‎based On Federal Character –iriase by Jorussia(m): 10:00am On May 05, 2015
barcanista:
All avenue for diplomacy has been exhausted. It is very clear that apart from the SS and SE bloc, no other blocs are interested in fiscal federalism that will include resource control of petroleum resources. Even the last confab was a testament to this! The demand has gone beyond the politicians, it is being pushed by the Lower Niger citizens.
Why are you adding se in resource control/ fiscal federalism struggle?which resources is currently being annexed that the SE wants to control?
Re: S/south Deserves Reps Speaker ‎based On Federal Character –iriase by Ayus34(m): 10:03am On May 05, 2015
barcanista:
Like I told one of your colleague, the demand for Fiscal Federalism and Resource control has always been on. At the last National conference, Fiscal Federalism was the chief of our demand. No time have we backed down from the demand to accept the status quo. You don't have to agree with me but you can't deny the obvious.
please don't distort fact,fiscal federalism agitation was championed by soutwest leaders,before southsouth supported this in the Jonathan administration during the national conference,even Edwin Clark said this and confirmed it was champion by the south west even since military regime. .....the south east are not part of the cause like u said,even at the national conference what they made paramount was a creation of new state to balance equation. ....please go back to history and clear urself on who is the champion of this cause.....aside that when Jonathan was there,why didn't he implement the said agitation at least for his people!
Re: S/south Deserves Reps Speaker ‎based On Federal Character –iriase by HopeAtHand: 10:29am On May 05, 2015
Where so much was expected, very little was achieved. That is the story of Jonathan.

With everyday that goes bye, and with statements like 'why didnt your brother do it, he had 6yrs', it becomes clearer the magnitide of his failings.. the opportunity thrown away creates a dark patch of past, present and future agitation.

But the agitation for justice shall continue..Let the APC scheme us out of whatever positions, it will only help in cementing the notion that they only cared about the North and SWest...and the shout will grow loudest.

1 Like

Re: S/south Deserves Reps Speaker ‎based On Federal Character –iriase by Nobody: 10:32am On May 05, 2015
Ayus34:

please don't distort fact,fiscal federalism agitation was championed by soutwest leaders,before southsouth supported this in the Jonathan administration during the national conference,even Edwin Clark said this and confirmed it was champion by the south west even since military regime. .....the south east are not part of the cause like u said,even at the national conference what they made paramount was a creation of new state to balance equation. ....please go back to history and clear urself on who is the champion of this cause.....aside that when Jonathan was there,why didn't he implement the said agitation at least for his people!
Can you separate Resource control from true federalism? What was the demand of SS in the 2005 Confab? Who was the Chief opponent of the Confab apart from the North? Should we go back memory lane? The call for Resource Control/50% derivation, apart from the SE, which other region supported it at the 2014 Confab?

1 Like

Re: S/south Deserves Reps Speaker ‎based On Federal Character –iriase by Nobody: 10:34am On May 05, 2015
HopeAtHand:
Where so much was expected, very little was achieved. That is the story of Jonathan.

With everyday that goes bye, and with statements like 'why didnt your brother do it, he had 6yrs', it becomes clearer the magnitide of his failings.. the opportunity thrown away creates a dark patch of past, present and future agitation.

But the agitation for justice shall continue..Let the APC scheme us out of whatever positions, it will only help in cementing the notion that they only cared about the North and SWest...and the shout will grow loudest.

1 Like

Re: S/south Deserves Reps Speaker ‎based On Federal Character –iriase by Ayus34(m): 10:55am On May 05, 2015
barcanista:
Can you separate Resource control from true federalism? What was the demand of SS in the 2005 Confab? Who was the Chief opponent of the Confab apart from the North? Should we go back memory lane? The call for Resource Control/50% derivation, apart from the SE, which other region supported it at the 2014 Confab?
regional autonomy and 50% resource control which is best?
Re: S/south Deserves Reps Speaker ‎based On Federal Character –iriase by Nobody: 11:15am On May 05, 2015
Ayus34:

regional autonomy and 50% resource control which is best?
How can you separate resource control from regional autonomy?

(1) (Reply)

Beautiful Picture Of Completed Kano Underpass / Exposed From D ARCHIVES Of Nairaland & Sahara Reporters - Incriminating Reports / Rivers APC To Wike - Tribunal Will Make Your Stay Out Of Govt-house Permanent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.