Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,993 members, 7,821,463 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:20 PM

Major Ijaw Cities And Towns In Nigeria: - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Major Ijaw Cities And Towns In Nigeria: (8656 Views)

The Beauty Of Our Culture (ijaw , Urhobo, Itsekiri) / Origin And History Of Anambra Towns / List Of Villages And Towns In Gbako Local Government By Aliyu Mantafien (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Major Ijaw Cities And Towns In Nigeria: by tonychristopher: 3:32pm On May 05, 2015
SN Town State Region Remarks
1 Abonnema Rivers Eastern Ijaw
2 Adoloseimọ Ondo Western Ijaw
3 Agbere Bayelsa Central Ijaw Agbere is on the River Nun, the first town on the Nun from where the River Niger forms it confluence with the Nun River, a few miles south of Onitsha. Agbere is three towns up river from Kaiyama
4 Agoloma Bayelsa Central Ijaw
5 Akpata Ondo Western Ijaw
6 Amadaka Akwa Ibom Eastern Ijaw A town in Andoni clan
7 Amapẹrẹ Ondo Western Ijaw
8 Amassoma Bayelsa Central Ijaw Birth Place of the impeached Governor DSP Alamieyeseigha
9 Angiama Bayelsa Central Ijaw
10 Anyama Bayelsa Central Ijaw
11 Anyama Bayelsa Central Ijaw A town in Ogbia clan
12 Arogbo Ondo Western Ijaw HQ of a group of over 50 Ijaw towns in Ondo State
13 Asarama Rivers Eastern Ijaw A town in Andoni clan
14 Ataba Rivers Eastern Ijaw A town in Andoni clan
15 Ọkaminiwei Gbine Ondo Western Ijaw
16 Bakana Rivers Eastern Ijaw
17 Bassanbiri Bayelsa Central Ijaw Nembe part of Brass
18 Bọlọwọghu Arogbo Western Ijaw
19 Biagbine Ondo Western Ijaw
20 Bomadi Delta Western Ijaw
21 Bonny Rivers Eastern Ijaw
22 Buguma Rivers Eastern Ijaw HQ city of the Kalabari clan
23 Burutu Delta Western Ijaw
24 Ebukuma Rivers Eastern Ijaw Andoni Clan
25 Egbema Edo Western Ijaw
26 Ekowe Bayelsa Central Ijaw
27 Finima Rivers Eastern Ijaw
28 Funama Edo Western Ijaw
29 Gbanrain Bayelsa Central Ijaw
30 Igbematoru Delta Western Ijaw
31 Iko Akwa Ibom Eastern Ijaw A town in Andoni clan
32 Ikuru Town Rivers Eastern Ijaw Andoni clan
33 Kaiama Bayelsa Central Ijaw Birth place of the heroic and national figure, Major Adaka Boro
34 Koluama Bayelsa Central Ijaw
35 Korokorosei Bayelsa Central Ijaw
36 Ngo Rivers Eastern Ijaw HQ of Andoni LGA
37 Odi Bayelsa Central Ijaw This town was completely destroyed by the armed forces of Nigeria under the instruction of President (General) Obasanjo in 1999
38 Ogbolomabiri Bayelsa Nembe part of Brass
39 Okirika Rivers Eastern Ijaw HQ City of the Okirika clan
40 Okorobo Rivers Eastern Ijaw A town in Andoni clan
41 Okoroete Akwa Ibom Eastern Ijaw HQ of Eastern Obolo (Andoni) LGA
42 Okoroinyong Akwa Ibom Eastern Ijaw A town in Andoni clan
43 Oloibiri Bayelsa Central Ijaw the place oil was first found in commercial quantity in Nigeria.
44 Olugbobiri Bayelsa Central Ijaw
45 Opobo Rivers Eastern Ijaw
46 Opokuma Bayelsa Central Ijaw
47 Oporoma Bayelsa Central Ijaw
48 Opuama Bayelsa Central Ijaw
49 Otuan Bayelsa Central Ijaw
50 Patani Delta Western Ijaw
51 Port Harcourt Rivers Eastern Ijaw Capital city of Rivers State
52 Sabagerigha Bayelsa Central Ijaw
53 Sagbama Bayelsa Central Ijaw
54 Tombia Rivers Eastern Ijaw A town in Kalabari clan
55 Torofani Bayelsa Central Ijaw
56 Tungbo Bayelsa Central Ijaw
57 Twon Bayelsa Central Ijaw Is a major town in Brass group of towns
58 Ukpẹ Ondo Western Ijaw
59 Ukubie Bayelsa Central Ijaw
60 Unyeada Rivers Eastern Ijaw Andoni clan
61 Warri Delta Western Ijaw Commercial capital city of Delta State
62 Yenagoa Bayelsa Central Ijaw Capital City of Bayelsa State

http://www.ijawdictionary.com/menu/index.php?show=A

BUT NOTE;there are discripancies in ijaw incrochement of Bony, Opobo which are igbo towns and Ijaw dont have towns in Ondo, Edo and Warri is never Ijaw town...so this is my observation
Re: Major Ijaw Cities And Towns In Nigeria: by ijawcitizen(m): 1:09pm On May 06, 2015
Cannibal igbo man, your obsession on our land and people will kill you on day. I've never seen a person with such a low self esteem, can't you just simply feel comfortable in your igbo skin?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Major Ijaw Cities And Towns In Nigeria: by ezeagu(m): 4:47pm On May 06, 2015
ijawcitizen:
Cannibal igbo man, your obsession on our land and people will kill you on day. I've never seen a person with such a low self esteem, can't you just simply feel comfortable in your igbo skin?

Okile obori, ye nomu mini.

2 Likes

Re: Major Ijaw Cities And Towns In Nigeria: by tonychristopher: 9:56am On May 07, 2015
you dey craze..wetin dey worry this kai kai drinking fellow with your clueless brother, which land, is it the one that others are tapping the resources or the ones that have been devastated..which lang

Apoi man

ijawcitizen:

2 Likes

Re: Major Ijaw Cities And Towns In Nigeria: by lawani: 5:35am On Apr 09, 2016
Bayelsa is a majority but not wholly Ijaw state as there are Edoid and other groups there as well. There are Ijaw towns in Rivers with Igbo identities and Ijaw towns in Yoruba area too who settled two centuries ago. They speak Ijaw and Yoruba while some in Rivers in Bonny and Opobo speak Igbo but are Ijaw. Some of these people are naturalised Igbo descendants while the remainder are Ijaw. An example of Igbo descendant is the King Jaja of Opobo but he would describe himself as Ijaw while speaking Igbo. I doubt if Ijaws are as much as the 10 million being claimed. The Ijaws in Arogbo are counted as Ijaw while the Apoi are not, being classified as Yoruba with Oba and etc. They speak Yoruba but retain some Ijoid rituals. They are mixed but essentially Yoruba. The Arogbo are riverrine people and they maintain contact with non Yoruba Ijaw, so they remain more of Ijaw than the Apoi but also speak Yoruba. The Ijaws in Bonny and Opobo are counted as Igbos when estimating number of Igbo speakers.

So if Nigeria will divide, how will it go? The Ijaws in Yoruba land were allowed to stay on that land by the people of Ugbo and only the Arogbo can be said to be like other Ijaw while the Apoi can be said to be of mixed heritage. The land is the land of Ugbo people traditionally while the Igbo speaking Ijaws in Bonny and Opobo own their land. They are Ijaws but have adopted Igbo as their lingua franca. They also have part Igbo heritage. They are a bit like the Arochukwu who have part Efik heritage.

So how can an Ijaw nation be carved out of all that?

I am not saying an Ijaw nation can not be carved out as it can be done by a referendum and people will determine where they want to be but what Ijaws want should be well articulated and while fighting to take Ijaw people in other places, it must be remembered that even Bayelsa is not wholly Ijaw and the former President Jonathan is not Ijaw but from an Edoid group speaking Ijaw as a second language. Bayelsa is netted already by Ijaw while Opobo, Andoni can determine their fate since historically they were never under Igbos or anybody and there is no Opobo or Andoni person whose ancestor is not Ijaw, even if they were slaves from Igbo land, they were sworn in as Ijaw in the past. I believe they are more of Ijaw but using Igbo today as lingua franca along with their Ibani dialect.

In the West, Ijaws were granted land by Yorubas and those Ijaws especially the ones on land have both Ijaw and Yoruba heritage and all speak Yoruba. How feasible will it be for the Arogbos to take land granted them to add to Ijaw territory? Those Arogbos are Ijaw natives in the creeks of Yoruba land. They are Ijaws of Yoruba. They were not there a few centuries ago. Ethiopia has 90 languages. The new Yoruba nation I want to happen will have less than ten. Yoruba, Egun, Bariba, Ijaw, Akoko, Ewe and possibly Nupe. 95 percent of whom speak Yoruba already today. Let Ijaws form their nation based on Bayelsa possibly with Opobo and Andoni. Not only Ijaw will be the local language but Ijaw will be official status. That is better for Ijaw.

There are Yoruba in Delta who are isolated too and they are on their land. Their situation is not like the Ijaw on Yoruba land. So no group can get all their people together easily but people are what they are. If Ugbodu people are in Biafra. They are still Yoruba people.

One thing to note is that King Jaja of Opobo was an Ijaw man. He was sworn in and he never described himself as an Igbo man. If he was not bought by an Ijaw and made an Ijaw, he would not have become what he became. All humans are thesame. So if I take an Igbo boy and bring him up as Yoruba. He is a Yoruba man and not an Igbo man anymore. The cultures are different. Jaja of Opobo spoke Ijaw and observed the culture. So he was Ijaw though born Igbo. He would never have described himself as Igbo.

4 Likes

Re: Major Ijaw Cities And Towns In Nigeria: by Wulfruna(f): 10:08am On Apr 09, 2016
Lawani, he didn't describe himself as Igbo. He didn't describe himself as Ijaw. It would be anachronistic if he had used either of those terms to describe himself in 19th century Eastern Niger Delta. You people need to learn how some ethnic terms like 'Igbo', 'Ijaw', etc were used in this country before the 20th century and stop repeating these mistakes.

2 Likes

Re: Major Ijaw Cities And Towns In Nigeria: by lawani: 10:36am On Apr 09, 2016
Wulfruna:
Lawani, he didn't describe himself as Igbo. He didn't describe himself as Ijaw. It would be anachronistic if he had used either of those terms to describe himself in 19th century Eastern Niger Delta. You people need to learn how some ethnic terms like 'Igbo', 'Ijaw', etc were used in this country before the 20th century and stop repeating these mistakes.

But he was Ijaw of Opobo, head of an Ijaw house to which he belonged. The Ijaw houses were organised thesame way. They initiated foreigners to become Ijaw. Other people do same. Many Osu in Igbo land today are not descended from Igbos. Many may be Yoruba and etc. Names like Okafor, Okonkwo, Okeke are indicative of people bought as slaves and are probably Yoruba in origin. So take the people you have and leave others. Jaja of Opobo can not say he is any other thing apart from Opobo which is Ijaw.

1 Like

Re: Major Ijaw Cities And Towns In Nigeria: by Wulfruna(f): 11:48am On Apr 09, 2016
lawani:

But he was Ijaw of Opobo, head of an Ijaw house to which he belonged. The Ijaw houses were organised thesame way. They initiated foreigners to become Ijaw. Other people do same. Many Osu in Igbo land today are not descended from Igbos. Many may be Yoruba and etc. Names like Okafor, Okonkwo, Okeke are indicative of people bought as slaves and are probably Yoruba in origin. So take the people you have and leave others. Jaja of Opobo can not say he is any other thing apart from Opobo which is Ijaw.

I'm tired. Lemme just laugh at the bolded and be on my way. I wonder where on earth you got that from. grin

4 Likes

Re: Major Ijaw Cities And Towns In Nigeria: by esrtoijtg: 12:52pm On Apr 09, 2016
Already visited most of these place wink
Re: Major Ijaw Cities And Towns In Nigeria: by olaitoro(m): 2:06pm On Apr 09, 2016
lawani:

for the bolded, my dear stop littering nairaland with trash like this.

Make sure you know something before stating it as fact.

Oko is shortform of okoro or okorobia which denote masculine in Igbo land.
Igbos have 4 market days; eke, orie, afor, nkwo.
A male born on eke day is called Okeke or Okereke
A male born on orie day can be named Okoye, Okolie, Okorie.
A male born on afor day - Okafor, or okoroafor.
A male born on nkwo day - Okonkwo or Okoronkwo.

The same applies to females with name mgbeke, mgbafor, mgbankwo, mgborie.

6 Likes

Re: Major Ijaw Cities And Towns In Nigeria: by lawani: 2:11pm On Apr 09, 2016
olaitoro:

for the bolded, my dear stop littering nairaland with trash like this.

Make sure you know something before stating it as fact.

Oko is shortform of okoro or okorobia which denote masculine in Igbo land.
Igbos have 4 market days; eke, orie, afor, nkwo.
A male born on eke day is called Okeke or Okereke
A male born on orie day can be named Okoye, Okolie, Okorie.
A male born on afor day - Okafor, or okoroafor.
A male born on nkwo day - Okonkwo or Okoronkwo.

The same applies to females with name mgbeke, mgbafor, mgbankwo, mgborie.

Well, I may be wrong but it was an Igbo elderly person that told me if a slave is bought on Eke day, he will be named Okeke, Nkwo day is Okonkwo and etc. Then it is a fact of history that many Yoruba slaves disappeared into Igbo land to be used as farmhands in the past.

You can not mean that slaves were not named in such a manner?
Re: Major Ijaw Cities And Towns In Nigeria: by olaitoro(m): 2:25pm On Apr 09, 2016
lawani:

Well, I may be wrong but it was an Igbo elderly person that told me if a slave is bought on Eke day, he will be named Okeke, Nkwo day is Okonkwo and etc. Then it is a fact of history that many Yoruba slaves disappeared into Igbo land to be used as farmhands in the past.

slaves are called osu, oru, or ohu in Igboland depending on dialect; thus name like nwaosu or nwosu 'might' have been used to denote offspring of slave in the olden days.

Generally the concept of osu is almost dead in Igboland cause one can hardly see or identify who is an osu/slave or not.

Nwosu presently does not denote slave as the early missionary made use of that term osu in evangelism thereby prompted some early converts to adopt that osu proudly making it a positive term.

Eg of the names; osuagwu, osuala, osuchukwu, nwosu, osueke etc.

1 Like

Re: Major Ijaw Cities And Towns In Nigeria: by lawani: 2:32pm On Apr 09, 2016
olaitoro:

slaves are called osu, oru, or ohu in Igboland depending on dialect; thus name like nwaosu or nwosu 'might' have been used to denote offspring of slave in the olden days.

Generally the concept of osu is almost dead in Igboland cause one can hardly see or identify who is an osu/slave or not.

Nwosu presently does not denote slave as the early missionary made use of that term osu in evangelism thereby prompted some early converts to adopt that osu proudly making it a positive term.

Eg of the names; osuagwu, osuala, osuchukwu, nwosu, osueke etc.

I am telling you what an elderly person told me and it is a known fact that when Yoruba land was in turmoil, some Yoruba were sold as slaves to Igbos who bought them to use for farm work in their relatively calm region by that time.

Then slaves are not called Osu but Oru in Igbo language sounding similar to the Yoruba Eru meaning thesame thing. Osu is not slave but outcast. There is a difference.

People should inculcate the habit of maintaining civillity in discussions of all kinds. You dont have to insult people to make a point.
Re: Major Ijaw Cities And Towns In Nigeria: by YourNemesis: 10:15pm On Apr 09, 2016
If Nigeria divides, I believe the Western Ijaws will be in the West, and the Eastern Ijaws will be in the East.
That is Why Ijaws won't support either Biafra Oduduwa or anything short of their own country (which they can't achieve due to the complexity of their geographical space and settlements)
Re: Major Ijaw Cities And Towns In Nigeria: by lawani: 6:30am On Apr 10, 2016
It is sad that Igbos are newcomers to nation building. That is the problem and it is funny that they are now more aggressive than others. Take for example Modakeke and Ife, they fight and Modakeke have their own chief who is the Ogunsua, whenever he is meeting the Ooni he defers to him, despite that he is older than the late Oba Sijuade, he may then leave to go and start a fight later but they acknowledge that Modakeke are on Ife land. Thesame is the case with the Arogbo Ijaw on Ugbo land. Arogbo is a Yoruba word. On that land, the King of Ugbo is the overall chief while the Ijaw chiefs are under him. Nigeria can not change that.

That is not the case with Eastern Ijaw because Igbos had no nation in the 19th century and were in no position to be granting people land. We might also say Arochukwu was the only Igbo people involved in nation building having a capital and administration but the Opobos were not Arochukwu in identity, they were Ijaw in identity but they related with Arochukwu. So on what basis will Igbos say Ijaws must be under them as a minority? On the basis of the Eastern region created by the British that the IPOB are always abusing? It does not add up. Eastern region, West, North, Biafra and etc are all defunct and Nigeria must follow suit.

Isnt Opobo, Andoni, contiguous with Bayelsa? Then Ijaws still have people in Delta. Let people take who they can take and leave the rest. There is some advantage in having your people in other places as well. Take Igala for example, they are scattered in Kogi, Delta and Anambra. How can they manage to get all their people together?

1 Like

Re: Major Ijaw Cities And Towns In Nigeria: by lawani: 1:51pm On Apr 10, 2016
I read somewhere that Ijaws in Lagos, Edo and Ondo be given not one but one or two states. I know there must be Ijaw towns and villages in Ondo mainly in the creeks but are there any Ijaw towns in Lagos? I have never heard of any. The only two groups I know of in Lagos are Yoruba and Egun. Please which local government has Ijaw majority villages in Lagos?

The Ilaje are riverrine Yoruba just like Ijaw. They are in the Ondo creeks together with the Ijaw with the occupation of fishing and farming but other Yoruba are not marine people.

2 Likes

Re: Major Ijaw Cities And Towns In Nigeria: by TheArchangel(f): 6:10pm On Apr 10, 2016
lawani:

Oh my oh my!!! Laughing out loud here. Sir, you got it wrong on the names you listed. The elderly man was telling fables ad fictions, look for historians with substantiated proven facts please.

2 Likes

Re: Major Ijaw Cities And Towns In Nigeria: by YourNemesis: 9:36pm On Apr 10, 2016
lawani:
I read somewhere that Ijaws in Lagos, Edo and Ondo be given not one but one or two states. I know there must be Ijaw towns and villages in Ondo mainly in the creeks but are there any Ijaw towns in Lagos? I have never heard of any. The only two groups I know of in Lagos are Yoruba and Egun. Please which local government has Ijaw majority villages in Lagos?

The Ilaje are riverrine Yoruba just like Ijaw. They are in the Ondo creeks together with the Ijaw with the occupation of fishing and farming but other Yoruba are not marine people.

There will NOT be any Ijaw state in the West. They wanted to have indigenous Ilaje (Ondo), Bini (Edo) and Itsekiri (Delta) lands on which they are not indigenous to, carved out to become an imaginary "toru ebe state". None of the aforementioned tribes will allow it..... Ijaws are like the marine nomads, and that is why they are currently at loggerheads with every single ethnic group in the niger delta, because they were always moving from place to place.

2 Likes

Re: Major Ijaw Cities And Towns In Nigeria: by lawani: 11:08pm On Apr 10, 2016
YourNemesis:

There will NOT be any Ijaw state in the West. They wanted to have indigenous Ilaje (Ondo), Bini (Edo) and Itsekiri (Delta) lands on which they are not indigenous to, carved out to become an imaginary "toru ebe state". None of the aforementioned tribes will allow it..... Ijaws are like the marine nomads, and that is why they are currently at loggerheads with every single ethnic group in the niger delta, because they were always moving from place to place.

I know there are Ijaw indigenes in Ondo and probably Edo creeks, surely in Delta creeks in Warri too but it is Lagos I have never heard of. Ijaws are in control of Bayelsa and some Rivers state towns, if Nigeria is broken up, they will have a fairly large population to manage in those places while there will also be indigenous Ijaw in other places as well. The Ijaw country will also contain non Ijaws. It will be a good deal for them in my opinion.

1 Like

Re: Major Ijaw Cities And Towns In Nigeria: by Kalaada: 9:36pm On Apr 12, 2016
Lawani u said some sensible things others I don't quite agree with but u come off as fair
Arogbo however means Aru Ogbo ie a society of Canoe Builders till today there is a thriving indigenous boat building industry there..they carved Arus out of the trees in the forest..there is a particular tree indigenous to the Niger Delta that loggers were interested in

1 Like

Re: Major Ijaw Cities And Towns In Nigeria: by Kalaada: 9:37pm On Apr 12, 2016
There are Ijaws on Bakassi Island too
Re: Major Ijaw Cities And Towns In Nigeria: by lawani: 9:52pm On Apr 12, 2016
What dont you agree with? How do you think the country should be divided? To make the creeks of Ondo which is the home of Ijaws and riverine Yorubas an independent country or what?

Let me tell you, import duties will be cancelled worldwide and offshore oil can not belong to you because you live in the creeks, especially not when Ijaws were granted the space a while ago.

There is no advantage in the creeks and the Yoruba will not allow Ijaws to create a country on that land that was granted them by Yoruba people. This is why I said leave Arogbo Ijaw as Ijaws of Yoruba and concentrate on the land you have in Bayelsa and Rivers to form a viable country. If Igbos had united in 1850, even that may have proved difficult to achieve today because they would have forced a way through to the Atlantic ocean by all means, taking part of Ijaw land in the process. So take the people you have 7 to 10 million and build on that. Reinforce your culture as a showpiece to the rest of the world. You can not take all the native Ijaws in Delta, Edo, Ondo along with you. No group can take all their people.
Re: Major Ijaw Cities And Towns In Nigeria: by Kalaada: 9:57pm On Apr 12, 2016
Your Nemesis Ijaws have indigenous land in Ondo Edo and Delta states..Ijaws are an older tribe than Itshekiri pls let's be honest and objective here. Sei Kiri is the meaning of Itshekiri..
Re: Major Ijaw Cities And Towns In Nigeria: by Kalaada: 10:02pm On Apr 12, 2016
Okay I see where you are coming from u are being practical..but I believe Ijawland is contiguous from Delta to Eastern Obolo (Andoni) in Akwa Ibom State..it is Edo or Ondo that maybe cut off
That is Bayes shares boundary with Delta state Ijaws..
Re: Major Ijaw Cities And Towns In Nigeria: by lawani: 10:09pm On Apr 12, 2016
They have indigenous land that was granted them by the Ugbos. Same way Modakeke have indigenous lands in Ife. No difference. To now carry the land to join other Ijaws can not be allowed. It is not even feasible. Ijaw language has been noted to be similar to a language in Mali called Dogon which is also similar to the isolate Basque language in Europe. We, Yoruba are not speaking our original language and only God knows how many times the language changed after the establishment of Ife Ooyelagbo when the Ife Oodaye was destroyed ten thousand years ago. The language we speak now is descended from Kemitic Egyptian but our people have always been here. Itsekiri have been there but the language have changed.
Re: Major Ijaw Cities And Towns In Nigeria: by lawani: 6:16am On Apr 13, 2016
I believe it is better to group who want to be together and allow them form one nation to make things easy. Itsekiri too are in Delta, Edo and probably Ondo. They are up to one million too and that is more than many UN member nation. Urhobo too are there, more than Itsekiri, Ijaw are there in the Delta and etc, but Itsekiri say they related with Europeans on behalf of others in the past and that it is their land. If they can not live together, they should divide the place, so that peace can reign. Personally I believe Ijaws traditionally stay inside water and would not stay on land if they had the choice while Itsekiri are like Ilaje Yoruba that now stay in water and land. Ijaw are more adept in water I believe and all these groups are meshed through intermarriages. Itsekiri claim their language was used as lingua franca in the past by Ijaws and Urhobos of Warri area and that the Olu of Itsekiri was the overall chief who signed treaties with Europeans. I dont know the overall population figures but I know Urhobo is the main group in Delta state though not majority. Warri area is a mixture of Ijaw, Urhobo and Itsekiri. In my view, I will say Ijaws of the West including Delta and Edo are like the Arogbo in Ondo because people in those places were politically advanced in the past while Ijaws in the East were able to build a kind of hegemony mainly because Igbos were not politically advanced in the past save for Arochukwu. Ijaws are indigenes in all those places. I dont know how many millions though but it will be difficult to carve out Ijaw territory in those places because there will be claims and counter claims and none of the groups making those claims are pushovers but if it can be done, I support it. I know many prominent Ijaws are from Ondo, Delta like Chief Clark, Government Tompolo and etc and I understand the situation but many of the Arogbos would describe themselves as Yoruba like the Mr Kuku who served with the former President but I would like them to keep being Ijaw along with their Yoruba identity just like I would like the Olukunmi that will fall in Ala Igbo to keep their Yoruba heritage along with the Igbo. If Ijaws can net even 10 million in Opobo, Andoni and etc plus Bayelsa they should be happy and face the management of those ones. The majority in those places are with Ijaws and Ijaw will be the national language in the new country with Igbo, Efik and etc as second languages.

This access to sea which in the past was used to take advantage of people as the Ijebu did in Yoruba land when the Oyo lost their posts on the coasts will soon become irrelevant, while creeks may become un-inhabitable in the future.
Re: Major Ijaw Cities And Towns In Nigeria: by lawani: 9:13pm On Apr 19, 2016
Nobody can remove Ijaws from the place they are indigenous to and also how can it be possible to make Port Harcourt and Warri Ijaw majority cities? What will happen to the IKwerre in PH and the Urhobo and Itsekiri in Warri? You can not wish them away. They have no where else. So I will say partition what can be partitioned in PH and Warri let Ijaws remain indigenes in those places, then take Andoni, Opobo, Bayelsa and the ones in Cross River as an Ijaw majority nation. It will be substantial in population, announce that all can come and live there, take control and develop the place. Have somewhere to control and practice your culture, speaking your language and remain friends with others. There are also advantages in having Ijaws indigenous to neighbouring nations but have somewhere to develop. Nobody wants Ijaw to be eradicated but Ijaws too must know that Itsekiri, Urhobo, Ikwerre can not just disappear like that.

1 Like

Re: Major Ijaw Cities And Towns In Nigeria: by NTAChannel5: 5:00pm On Apr 20, 2016
Wow!
Re: Major Ijaw Cities And Towns In Nigeria: by Noneroone(m): 11:24pm On Apr 22, 2016
Funny thread...ijaws didnt claim PH when it was 60:40 against them, it is now that it has become almost 85:15 against them.

Jokers
Re: Major Ijaw Cities And Towns In Nigeria: by lawani: 10:24am On May 28, 2016
I dont think Ijaws are claiming PH. Everybody know PH is Ikwerre. If Ikwerre are now saying they are Ijaws, it will be a done deal for the Ijaws but it is only Bonny and Opobo people who claim to be Ijaws not Ikwerre. Ikwerre claim to be Ikwerre and the language is Igboid, so they can choose to stand alone or be with other Igbos. I believe they have nothing against Igbos, so why not stand together with SE Igbos in an Ikwerre state? All Ikwerres understand Igbo but not all Ijaws understand Igbo. Let Igbo be the official language in the Igbo country and Ijaw in an Ijaw country. Let Ijaws talk to the Ogoni to join them the way Bariba will likely join Yoruba, so all of Ogoni, Eleme, Okrika, Bonny, Opobo and even Andoni can be one with Bayelsa as a new state but if those people want to stand alone, they can, they have the population.
Re: Major Ijaw Cities And Towns In Nigeria: by 1shortblackboy: 4:03pm On May 28, 2016
The igbos are here again. Claiming bonny and opobo. Don't even know what it is about this towns that these people cannot rest. Anyway sha na una go tire undecided
Re: Major Ijaw Cities And Towns In Nigeria: by nlPoster: 2:58pm On Oct 08, 2019
Names like Okafor, Okonkwo, Okeke are indicative of people bought as slaves and are probably Yoruba in origin.

How so?

(1) (2) (Reply)

When Last Did You Visit Your Hometown / The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated / How Do U Interprete 'Eku Amojuba' In English

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.