Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,108 members, 7,828,907 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:57 PM

Do People Intentionally Provoke Extremists? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do People Intentionally Provoke Extremists? (896 Views)

RCCG Church Abuja Attacked, Looted And Burnt By Suspected Extremists (Photo) / Why Do People Name Their Children 'jacob'. Is The Name Even Good? / Why Do People Find It Difficult To Pay TITHES? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do People Intentionally Provoke Extremists? by blackmann(m): 4:27pm On May 05, 2015
[b]I decided to post this here instead of the Islamic section because i want an open minded discussion from both sides. Please, please, and please, this is not a religion bashing thread. I just want the opinions of mature-minded individuals.

It is not news anymore that Islam is portrayed to some, especially in the west, as a religion of violence. Everyday we hear about killings, beheadings, kidnappings, etc all in the name of the Prophet and Jihad. Most islamic followers don't buy into this whole idea of bloodshed in the name of religious follower-ship, as most of these so-called "Islamic" fighters are more or less brainwashed by their leaders' interpretations of the islamic scriptures. If they die a martyr, they will be sent to heaven where 72 virgins await them, kill all the infidels who do not follow the path of Almighty Allah, etc.

Anyways, we all know many of these extremists go to any lengths to defend the religion, even to the extent of killing fellow human beings. We've all seen and heard of the happenings in the Arab world, ISIS, Boko Haram, Al Shabbab, Al Qaeda are good examples. The whole 9-11 issue brought the religion to a new light. Ask americans today what they know about islam and I bet you 8 out of 10 of them will mention 9/11. They all see it as a religion of violence, and sadly, the media doesn't help matters as well. And all these lead many to believe that once you are a muslim, you are violent. And in order to prove that, some people tend to want to wind islamic followers up to prove that point.

We all know what happened at Charlie Hebdo offices in France in January. The cause? The portrayal of Prophet Mohammed in satire, something the Muslim faith see as forbidden. I'm not in any way defending the actions of these terrorists who think they can fight and kill innocent humans all in the name of protecting Allah.

The re are other instances too, but the one that brings me to this whole debacle happened over the weekend in Texas. For those who don't know, two gunmen opened fire at a Prophet Mohammed cartoon contest on Saturday. The two gunmen were killed before they could kill anyone. What piqued my curiousity to the fact that this was a deliberate act to wind up the muslim community all in the name of "free speech" is it seems these people had a feeling that the attack was going to happen, and therefore they had security ready, who promptly took out the gunmen within minutes.

This brings me to the question - do these people intentionally wish to portray the religion in a bad light, knowing that so many fanatics and extremists exist? What is there point? Do they sometimes take things too far all in the name of "I can do or say whatever I like, and that includes insulting another person's faith" just to provoke these few nutjobs into doing bad things just to prove a point? Why would someone want to hold a contest about the depiction of the Holy Prophet, something everyone knows the islamic faith sees as an insult and forbidden?

Another instance was the case of the Pastor in Florida some years back who wanted to burn copies of the Quran on the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. Only God himself knows what would have happened if he had carried out his threats if the world and even President Obama hadn't talked him out of it.

Provocations like the ones I mentioned above have led extremists to carry out deadly attacks on innocent lives, and these among other things have made the everyday muslim look bad, painted with a broad stroke as having tendencies towards extremism, one who prays 5 times daily, one who just wants to worship and live his life peacefully without any provocations. But do you think sometimes people carry out acts just to provoke a response from these extremists?

Your mature thoughts are welcome.[/b]
Re: Do People Intentionally Provoke Extremists? by Nobody: 4:47pm On May 05, 2015
@OP i am amazed at the manner and perspectives people as yourself take when analyzing issues such as this. it is sad but no offense, there are hundreds who reason exactly the way you do. I am also worried when you say matured minds - do you consider extremists of a mature mindset or the ones who act ignorant of their extremists brethrens actions

Droves of Immigrant Muslims move into countries and societies with cultures, religions and traditions that out-date theirs by centuries literally, you accommodate them, their strange traditions, culture and religion because it is the most human thing to do. However they bring their ways and demand that they be accommodated in your culture without conditions and that you accept and follow theirs without condition. They claim to love their faith more than every group on the planet so they will kill for it.

They see your ways as an offense to Allah and Islam and expect you to throw away your ways or be forced to by not interfering with them with your Laws. I am amazed how many Muslims of come to live in the Europe and America the infidel countries yet they attack these host countries.

3 billion Muslims in the world watch daily as non-Muslims are slaughtered all over the world. without a choice to live. those silent Muslims who smile at you, shake your hands and live on the Nairaland Islam section.. allow these atrocities to continue because less than 0.99% of Muslims account for these global earth-shaking violence and hate. my question to you is this.. who gave you the right to be offended, are you the only group on this planet with a god? you are the only group who will kill others over the way their religion and prophet is portrayed and you dare enjoy the benefits of a western culture, western education and western life.. but you want to kill everything non-muslim. Islam is not potrayed as Evil because of some propaganda or conspiracy.. we see the evidence everyday and while one can say that bad muslims are responsible.. the brand will only suffer due to the in-actions of Muslims who wish to see Islam portrayed as a religion of PEACE.

In simple terms of people perceive you brand in bad light due to the actions of some negative minority, do you ignore this and allow the negative perception to grow or do you do something about it. This is what the so-called 3 billion peaceful Muslims are doing today and continue to do. refuse to clamp down on their extremist brothers resulting in the demonization of their faith.

You obviously choose the path of Blissful Ignorance.. i.e ignore the problem and it will go away. it is not a mature way to treat issues

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do People Intentionally Provoke Extremists? by blackmann(m): 4:55pm On May 05, 2015
You don't need to insult me. I stated it clearly in the post that we all see what's going on in the world today, and I'm not defending the actions of these extremists. That's why I asked for people to discuss it. I see everything happening these days that make the religion look bad, and some people still go ahead to provoke more actions out of them. That's the point I want to talk about.
Re: Do People Intentionally Provoke Extremists? by Nobody: 5:53pm On May 05, 2015
They only go as far as doing all that, so the extremist will get worn out and know they re fighting a lost battle, as they cannot be oppressed into seeing life from their own perspective.... u know the beautiful thing about life is its diversity and everybody being allowed to live their lives ... The Muslim world keeps giving these people attention making them to continue their acts, believe me, the moment the Muslim community pays less interest to all all those satirical nonsense about a man long dead and gone , the moment all those shits will stop..... I'll give u an instance..

Have u bothered to think why these cartoonist don't bother themselves with supposed depictions of Jesus? Because the Christian world don't give a Fvck, the paper won't even sell, as everyone won't see it as newsworthy...... so Imo I think the earlier the Muslim community pays less attention to these people the better for them..

The western world love been dared, dare them and see how Far..... as Obama will Say! "We won't apologise for our way of life, neither will we weaver in its defence"..
Re: Do People Intentionally Provoke Extremists? by Nobody: 8:05pm On May 05, 2015
blackmann:
You don't need to insult me. I stated it clearly in the post that we all see what's going on in the world today, and I'm not defending the actions of these extremists. That's why I asked for people to discuss it. I see everything happening these days that make the religion look bad, and some people still go ahead to provoke more actions out of them. That's the point I want to talk about.

No I did not insult you.. you simply took offense because i pointed out that you belong to a group of thought who feel that they have license to be offended but others should not be offended. You stated that much in your post -- your position is implied by your composition and stress on extra caution ... you have already drawn a line in favor of a particular audience who support extremism overtly or covertly.

Back to the issue you are trying to point out.

1: Understand this clearly.. I have a right to live just as you have a right to live. so do my opinions and yours no matter how offensive.
2: It takes maturity to accept or rejects ones opinion without killing them. it takes a deep level of immaturity to kill someone because you do not agree with them.

The 2 points above is the baseline for any discussion on what you have posted. If Muslims believe that Allah is the One and True God, that everyone must tow-the line of Islam regardless of their religion or faith. Who do you think is acting immature here then.. Stating FACTS and reality is not provoking extremists, they choose to be extremist about their faith. and I think Globally ISLAM has been perceived as PURE EVIL to the detriment of over 3 billion Muslims who claim to be PEACEFUL and against VIOLENCE.. how do you shut 3 billion Muslims in the face of deteriorating views on ISLAM?? get 0.99% of bad Muslims to kill people in Private and Public.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do People Intentionally Provoke Extremists? by blackmann(m): 9:29pm On May 05, 2015
voltron:

No I did not insult you.. you simply took offense because i pointed out that you belong to a group of thought who feel that they have license to be offended but others should not be offended. You stated that much in your post -- your position is implied by your composition and stress on extra caution ... you have already drawn a line in favor of a particular audience who support extremism overtly or covertly.

1: Understand this clearly.. I have a right to live just as you have a right to live. so do my opinions and yours no matter how offensive.
2: It takes maturity to accept or rejects ones opinion without killing them. it takes a deep level of immaturity to kill someone because you do not agree with them.

The 2 points above is the baseline for any discussion on what you have posted. If Muslims believe that Allah is the One and True God, that everyone must tow-the line of Islam regardless of their religion or faith. Who do you think is acting immature here then.. Stating FACTS and reality is not provoking extremists, they choose to be extremist about their faith. and I think Globally ISLAM has been perceived as PURE EVIL to the detriment of over 3 billion Muslims who claim to be PEACEFUL and against VIOLENCE.. how do you shut 3 billion Muslims in the face of deteriorating views on ISLAM?? get 0.99% of bad Muslims to kill people in Private and Public.

And that's where you're wrong. All I asked was a simple question - why do something that will further infuriate a set of nutjobs when you know what they may do? It's as simple as that. That's why I created this thread. It doesn't mean I side with the extremists or I support them or I err on the side of caution. I just put out a topic for discussion. People have their different opinions about issues. You have your opinions, I have mine. So do others. Because people's opinions differ or because someone says something you don't necessarily agree to doesn't mean that person is ignorant or immature. It's his/her opinion. You stated that yourself. That doesn't give me a reason to call u or anyone else ignorant because I see something a different way than u.
Re: Do People Intentionally Provoke Extremists? by Nobody: 10:04pm On May 05, 2015
blackmann:

And that's where you're wrong. All I asked was a simple question - why do something that will further infuriate a set of nutjobs when you know what they may do? It's as simple as that. That's why I created this thread. It doesn't mean I side with the extremists or I support them or I err on the side of caution. I just put out a topic for discussion. People have their different opinions about issues. You have your opinions, I have mine. So do others. Because people's opinions differ or because someone says something you don't necessarily agree to doesn't mean that person is ignorant or immature. It's his/her opinion. You stated that yourself. That doesn't give me a reason to call u or anyone else ignorant because I see something a different way than u.

differences in perception does not alter the TRUTH it only gives you a different, better or poorer understanding of it. It also brings about varying opinions of the same subject matter - However it does not change the TRUTH. I have a few examples for you.

Child Marriage for instance - I do not support it but if some groups say it protects a 12-year old pubescent girl from becoming promiscuous or exposed to a culture that encourages sexual promiscuity.. i ask this then.. who gave them the right to lock out her options in the future. how do they know she is at risk of becoming promiscuous by 16. so having sex at the age of 12 with a man old enough to be her father is honorable? I am just asking you not anyone else or an expert on the subject matter. A group sees the matter differently from other groups - but it does not change the FACT/TRUTH that the child is not psychologically prepared for Marriage/Sex etc at the age of 12. whether you are Christian or Muslim. That is the Truth regardless of what your perceptions are.

A woman wears a burkah, I have no reservations about it, some people do.. it is based on their personal opinion which can be formed from un-informed perceptions or interpretations of culture and religion. If you say it protects the woman's honor by shielding her beauty from roving eyes. No problem.. but when you say people who do not use the burkah are literally immoral slutz and they are at a high risk of getting raped because they are lustful temptations to fully grown men.. then I put a line to that.. whatever the cause Rape is Rape and it is a selfish, wicked and cruel invasion and violation of a person's honor, beliefs, psyche - at that point it has nothing to do with what she is wearing or if she is adequately clothe. There is no angle of perception that makes it right - it is simply wrong.

There is a reason why I say some folks are blissfully ignorant (not outright ignorant - pls note the difference) When you ignore the TRUTH because the angle from which you are viewing the matter is different from the other person's angle, then there is no basis for your position or opinion - it is biased and not objective. you have to be able to separate perspectives and reveal the subject matter for what it is in BLACK and WHITE. devoid of any cultural, religious or social coloration.

When people look at it from this angle and lash out - it is seen as provocations to extremist. different perspectives and opinions is for the benefit of Wisdom and Insight not discussion of an issue from a particular angle.

I respect your views and the views of others - no one knows everything and it is this differing views that clarifies unclear issues.
No offense meant if I came out that way - but it is what it is- we cannot ignore the elephant in the living room.
Re: Do People Intentionally Provoke Extremists? by Nobody: 4:17pm On May 08, 2015
.. i guess everyone is scared to provoke extremists on nairaland.. i underdstand. same tactics used by terrorists
Re: Do People Intentionally Provoke Extremists? by fergiiosugo(m): 4:53pm On May 08, 2015
voltron:

Gbam!!! No need to talk again. You've said it all.

(1) (Reply)

Beware Of The Prosperity Gospel / CONFIRMED: Thursday September 24 Is Eid-el-kabir (sallah) / Please HELP!!! Is This Good Or Bad?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.