Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,701 members, 7,809,658 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:38 PM

Should I Go For Pgd Or Bsc, I'm Confused - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Should I Go For Pgd Or Bsc, I'm Confused (18914 Views)

The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft / All 2016 Postgraduate Aspirant For Pgd Or Masters Part Time Study / What Is Local Government Identification Letter, i'm confused (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Go For Pgd Or Bsc, I'm Confused by Solomonodimegwu(m): 5:44pm On May 06, 2015
Hello peeps, i'm a graduate of fed poly nekede, with a Gp of 3.28(upper credit) bus admin, i'm thinking of going for a bsc in a fed university , which level will i be admitted.
Re: Should I Go For Pgd Or Bsc, I'm Confused by rollybest(m): 5:49pm On May 06, 2015
Hmmm! Thou lack sense

2 Likes

Re: Should I Go For Pgd Or Bsc, I'm Confused by Solomonodimegwu(m): 5:52pm On May 06, 2015
rollybest:
Hmmm! Thou lack sense
what do u mean

1 Like

Re: Should I Go For Pgd Or Bsc, I'm Confused by esoboy875(m): 6:38pm On May 06, 2015
I'm a graduate of a poly too nd I'm tinkin of goin 4 Pgd.
Re: Should I Go For Pgd Or Bsc, I'm Confused by Gluck1(m): 6:45pm On May 06, 2015
Go for PGD oo.. I am an HND holder.. u came out with lower credit tho, I went for PGD and now am working for federal government ... I was promoted with same time with Bs.c holders... am happily living a good life.... getting married October .. wanna finish am project first..

4 Likes

Re: Should I Go For Pgd Or Bsc, I'm Confused by Linzo(m): 7:17pm On May 06, 2015
Op i understand your delenma at the moment ok but calm dawn all is well, i have been in your shoe and i know how it feel like but below is my candid advice to you, do follow it and you will thank me later.

Going for PGD is a good alternative but not a wise alternative, why do i say so? Pgd will only give you another DIPLOMA which you are running away from because of the high discrimination and humilliation been melted on HND both in private and government sectors. Again the pgd programme will run for complete 12 calender month for regular and 18 calender for parttime and another 6months or more it will take them to prepare your result making it 2yrs and expensive in monetary terms. NOTE this so call pgd will not remove the discrimination you are runing from because its call POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA not POST GRADUATE BACHELOR.

Bsc on the other hand may look absurd to some people but its the wise and best alternative, this will because not only remove the discrimination but also place you above your competitors in the job market. The time taken to complete Bsc is invisably shorter than pgd, let me substantiate, for example in michael okpara uni of agric umudike you will be admited into 300l of 4 semesters totalling 14 calender month as they are one the schools with fastest academic calender in Nigeria

Am a poly graduate too, i finish from Banking and finance with cgpa 3.21 upper credit in IMT,Enugu. I opt for direct entry and i was admiited into 300l accounting dept in michael okpara uni of agric, umudike and hopely finish with 1st class as my gp stand now is 4.67

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Go For Pgd Or Bsc, I'm Confused by Gluck1(m): 8:40pm On May 06, 2015
NICE ONE @ LiNzo... but a Professor in university of uyo told me that PGD is equivalent to Bs.c.. adding masters is better that Bs.c.... so bro make Una do Una tin as u like.. go for Bs.c or go for PGD ... there's no time to start making money... who knows wer u will find urself tomorrow... OBJ was a poly student....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Go For Pgd Or Bsc, I'm Confused by Linzo(m): 9:59pm On May 06, 2015
@ Gluk1 mind that it can only be equivalent but not thesame, in corporate world it is not look that way most companies still prefer Bsc, even in academics its very difficult to become a lectural with HND, PGD MSC route. As that prof that how many HND PGD Msc holders have been employed in uniuyo as lecturers? I bet you non. So be wise
Re: Should I Go For Pgd Or Bsc, I'm Confused by Champella(m): 1:53pm On May 07, 2015
If i were you, i would have gone to a University to obtain a B.Sc via Direct Entry. My reasons are:

1. It takes away the discrimination i would have faced in the labour market due to the HND i have. Some would say a PGD is equivalent to an M.Sc, but in reality you'll still be looked down on. This is Nigeria remember? So you need to act in a very wise manner by always placing yourself in an advantaged position.

2. There is a higher chance of you coming out with a better result once you're done with your B.Sc. Since you finished with an Upper Credit, it's very likely that you'll finish with a first class after 2 or 3 years (in a 4 or 5 year B.Sc programme) by virtue of the training you underwent in the Polytechnic. By so doing, you'll be shortlisted for the recruitment processes of a company (a better alternative for someone who made a lower credit).

My suggestion is for you to simply apply wisdom and understanding in this issue.

Don't look at the fact that you're going back to school as an undergraduate, rather think of tomorrow. Look at where you would be in 5 - 10 years.

Think of the promotion you would have had and the payment you would have made if you had or never had a B.Sc.

Please my brother, just try and sacrifice these 2 or 3 years for a happier tomorrow for i know you wouldn't be happy to see that a B.Sc holder earns more than you do and is placed higher than you.

Finally, the advantages of you obtaining a B.Sc far outweigh the difficulties involved.

Good luck brother!

2 Likes

Re: Should I Go For Pgd Or Bsc, I'm Confused by Linzo(m): 2:56pm On May 07, 2015
You are on point my boss, so op it's left for you to make a wise decision
Re: Should I Go For Pgd Or Bsc, I'm Confused by esoboy875(m): 3:27pm On May 07, 2015
Linzo:
Op i understand your delenma at the moment ok but calm dawn all is well, i have been in your shoe and i know how it feel like but below is my candid advice to you, do follow it and you will thank me later.

Going for PGD is a good alternative but not a wise alternative, why do i say so? Pgd will only give you another DIPLOMA which you are running away from because of the high discrimination and humilliation been melted on HND both in private and government sectors. Again the pgd programme will run for complete 12 calender month for regular and 18 calender for parttime and another 6months or more it will take them to prepare your result making it 2yrs and expensive in monetary terms. NOTE this so call pgd will not remove the discrimination you are runing from because its call POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA not POST GRADUATE BACHELOR.

Bsc on the other hand may look absurd to some people but its the wise and best alternative, this will because not only remove the discrimination but also place you above your competitors in the job market. The time taken to complete Bsc is invisably shorter than pgd, let me substantiate, for example in michael okpara uni of agric umudike you will be admited into 300l of 4 semesters totalling 14 calender month as they are one the schools with fastest academic calender in Nigeria

Am a poly graduate too, i finish from Banking and finance with cgpa 3.21 upper credit in IMT,Enugu. I opt for direct entry and i was admiited into 300l accounting dept in michael okpara uni of agric, umudike and hopely finish with 1st class as my gp stand now is 4.67

Wow, I love dat. For me, I graduated fr Fed Poly Idah in Kogi State wit 2.79 in accounting nd I'm presently serving in Umuahia in Abia State whic I wil b rounding off my service dis october by His grace. I av b tinkin of starting Pgd in Michael Okpara Uni of Agric. Pls giv me mor info or if u can help me wit ur numba or Bbm pin so we can talk. Tnks nd I hop of hearin fr u.

1 Like

Re: Should I Go For Pgd Or Bsc, I'm Confused by jbadmus: 4:29pm On May 07, 2015

2 Likes

Re: Should I Go For Pgd Or Bsc, I'm Confused by esoboy875(m): 4:59pm On May 07, 2015
jbadmus:
@OP,Linzo has said it all.I studied Engineering in one of the best Federal Polytechnics in the country; graduating with Upper Credit at both ND and HND.Having weighed the two alternatives: going for pgd or B.SC, I opted for the later. Today,I am a holder of the two certificates and I am glad I did.In a nutshell, go for B.SC and "free" yourself of any future discrimination.

If one wan to go for d Bsc, is he/she going to purchase jamb form or schools sell deir forms?
Re: Should I Go For Pgd Or Bsc, I'm Confused by jbadmus: 8:53pm On May 07, 2015
esoboy875:

If one wan to go for d Bsc, is he/she going to purchase jamb form or schools sell deir forms?
It requires that you obtain a Direct Entry(DE) form from JAMB. Again, do a bit of research about the university of choice to know its perculiar admission requirements. Some schools do conduct Post-DE exams just like Post-UTME.
Re: Should I Go For Pgd Or Bsc, I'm Confused by esoboy875(m): 9:17pm On May 07, 2015
jbadmus:

It requires that you obtain a Direct Entrya(DE) form from JAMB. Again, do a bit of research about the university of choice to know its perculiar admission requirements. Some schools do conduct Post-DE exams just like Post-UTME.

Tnks nd God bless
Re: Should I Go For Pgd Or Bsc, I'm Confused by Linzo(m): 9:51pm On May 07, 2015
No
esoboy875:

Wow, I love dat. For me, I graduated fr Fed Poly Idah in Kogi State wit 2.79 in accounting nd I'm presently serving in Umuahia in Abia State whic I wil b rounding off my service dis october by His grace. I av b tinkin of starting Pgd in Michael Okpara Uni of Agric.
Pls giv me mor info or if u can help me wit ur numba or Bbm pin so we can talk. Tnks nd I hop of hearin fr u.

I like your proactive zeal towards getting the best of your career please keep it up.

As for PGD program I don't know much about it because post graduate studies and their modus operandi is quite different from undergraduate program, but I will make enquiry and relate my findings to you. Keep the flame burning

1 Like

Re: Should I Go For Pgd Or Bsc, I'm Confused by esoboy875(m): 4:52am On May 08, 2015
Linzo:
No

I like your proactive zeal towards getting the best of your career please keep it up.

As for PGD program I don't know much about it because post graduate studies and their modus operandi is quite different from undergraduate program, but I will make enquiry and relate my findings to you. Keep the flame burning

Tnks bros
Re: Should I Go For Pgd Or Bsc, I'm Confused by Solomonodimegwu(m): 11:53am On May 08, 2015
Linzo:

thanks bro
Re: Should I Go For Pgd Or Bsc, I'm Confused by Solomonodimegwu(m): 12:01pm On May 08, 2015
I really appreciate ur various response, nw i cn make a decision
Re: Should I Go For Pgd Or Bsc, I'm Confused by Linzo(m): 6:37pm On Jul 17, 2015
Solomonodimegwu:
I really appreciate ur various response, nw i cn make a decision

My guy How far have you gone
Re: Should I Go For Pgd Or Bsc, I'm Confused by esoboy875(m): 1:47pm On Jul 18, 2015
No info again in dis place.
Re: Should I Go For Pgd Or Bsc, I'm Confused by Solomonodimegwu(m): 12:12am On Sep 03, 2015
Linzo:

My guy How far have you gone
i paused until after youth service cos of d nysc's new policy of no more post graduate studies during service.
Re: Should I Go For Pgd Or Bsc, I'm Confused by Nobody: 11:46pm On Sep 12, 2016
[quote author=Champella post=33508121]If i were you, i would have gone to a University to obtain a B.Sc via Direct Entry. My reasons are:

1. It takes away the discrimination i would have faced in the labour market due to the HND i have. Some would say a PGD is equivalent to an M.Sc, but in reality you'll still be looked down on. This is Nigeria remember? So you need to act in a very wise manner by always placing yourself in an advantaged position.

2. There is a higher chance of you coming out wit
Pls can someone run both programs at the same time
Re: Should I Go For Pgd Or Bsc, I'm Confused by thallyis3: 11:55pm On Sep 12, 2016
try gpd
Re: Should I Go For Pgd Or Bsc, I'm Confused by Champella(m): 8:20am On Sep 13, 2016
[quote author=Adanazzy1 post=49308929][/quote]

In the same University you mean?

Well, if it is in the same university, i do not know if that is possible. But i think it is possible to do that in different universities.

However, if you want to run both programmes at the same time make sure you are financially capable. You also need to factor in the stress you would face in both programmes. Pray that your tests, presentations, exams, etc do not clash.

Ensure that you make very good friends in both programmes. They would come in handy when you are absent.

All the same, if you are convinced that this risk is worth taking, just go for it. You will reap the benefits in the end.

Good luck!
Re: Should I Go For Pgd Or Bsc, I'm Confused by Nobody: 10:32pm On Sep 13, 2016
[quote author=Champella post=49314328]

In the same University you mean?

Well, if it is in the same university, i do not know if that is possible. But i think it is possible to do that in different universities.

However, if you want to run both programmes at the same time make sure you are financially capable. You also need to factor in the stress you would face in both programmes. Pray that your tests, presentations, exams, etc do not clash.

Ensure that you make very good friends in both
Thanks for the info
Re: Should I Go For Pgd Or Bsc, I'm Confused by Levi5384: 11:02am On Oct 03, 2016
Please can you do PGD or Degree with a lower credit after your HND?
Re: Should I Go For Pgd Or Bsc, I'm Confused by igbokwu(m): 8:17pm On Oct 28, 2016
Levi5384:
Please can you do PGD or Degree with a lower credit after your HND?
i think so
Re: Should I Go For Pgd Or Bsc, I'm Confused by kayodesamson: 6:36am On May 19, 2017
Yes you can continue with your PGD in school like Lagos state University or try direct entry-level​ for B'sc in same University
Re: Should I Go For Pgd Or Bsc, I'm Confused by Ibcurious(m): 2:22pm On Apr 07, 2022
Gluck1:
Go for PGD oo.. I am an HND holder.. u came out with lower credit tho, I went for PGD and now am working for federal government ... I was promoted with same time with Bs.c holders... am happily living a good life.... getting married October .. wanna finish am project first..
. What are the requirements for PGD programme, besides how many years?
Re: Should I Go For Pgd Or Bsc, I'm Confused by Ibcurious(m): 2:23pm On Apr 07, 2022
Gluck1:
What are the requirements for PGD programme, besides how many years?

(1) (Reply)

OAU: 10 Reasons It Is The Best Nigerian University / Teachers Without Professional Certificates To Go By Dec — FG / Top 10 Best Education Courses You Can Study

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.