Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,881 members, 7,813,995 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:48 PM

Nigeria’s Economy Under Threat As Debts Hit N11trillion - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria’s Economy Under Threat As Debts Hit N11trillion (20387 Views)

States’ Foreign Debts Hit $3.2bn , Cannot Repay In The Next 50 Years -Shehu Sani / Re: See What Is Happening To Nigeria’s Economy Under Buhari / See What Is Happening To Nigeria's Economy Under Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria’s Economy Under Threat As Debts Hit N11trillion by PassingShot(m): 7:48am On May 07, 2015
4Play:

Precisely. If this is your party's official position, it would entail that we should have no savings in the first place. This renders hypocritical any criticism of the government that it failed to save nor could criticism be sustained on the basis that the government is having to borrow to meet revenue shortfalls arising from an oil price crash.

If NOI insisted that we need to maintain a rainy day fund in the event of a fall in oil price and your party said that we shouldn't save, tell me who has been vindicated?

Really, you're sounding very funny now. Does it mean that not supporting or operating illegal accounts translate to not having savings? Aren't there many other legal ways of saving our excess earnings? Can't a bill be sponsored to operate the SWF and ECA so that they become legal?

4Play:
If the funds have been used for personal ends, then your party should be in a position to investigate and recover much of the money from May 29. No be so? Or are you effectively signalling by your defeatist posture the impotence of the incoming government?

Don't worry at all. Whatever can be recovered will be recovered but do not come here to shout witch-hunting or victimization as some of you sympathetic to PDP have already been doing here. Do not complain when the searchlights start to beam.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Economy Under Threat As Debts Hit N11trillion by AkandeMD: 7:49am On May 07, 2015
She's in d Liberary, collating handiover speech with some Ogbonge Gramma

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Economy Under Threat As Debts Hit N11trillion by rusher14: 7:50am On May 07, 2015
Ariel20:

Now you are talking..This is really sad

Alert never enter.
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Under Threat As Debts Hit N11trillion by Nobody: 7:51am On May 07, 2015
PassingShot:

You mean the APC that has constantly criticized/condemned the current budget arrangement of 80%:20% in favour of recurrent expenditure will tow the same line?

It can NEVER happen. Just wait and see how things will be done differently.
It is one thing to criticise, it is another thing to show leadership. Many people criticise, including those in government at lower level. For instance, Osun is in huge financial crises, yet rather than stop the policy of feeding of school kids, they maintain it just to prove a point. That is an example of bad fiscal policy. It is no crime to take to austerity when things aren't going well.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Economy Under Threat As Debts Hit N11trillion by Lerumo: 7:53am On May 07, 2015
Truckpusher:
APC making series of 'I will fail' comments to have ready excuses to justify their imminent failure. grin

A barren woman will always blame a late marriage for her childlessness. grin

With this kind of comment coming from a truck-pusher it doesn't surprise me one bit. Its obvious you don't read before you comment, I won't also be surprised if someone helps you type your comments.

But sincerely what more could I expect from a truck-pusher.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Economy Under Threat As Debts Hit N11trillion by buJu234: 7:53am On May 07, 2015
when i said that Nigeria wouldnt have survived economically for another 4yrs under GEJ led PDP govt.

my guys tot i was against my own brother GEJ...

but u can see it now....

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Economy Under Threat As Debts Hit N11trillion by PassingShot(m): 7:54am On May 07, 2015
Sibrah:
You tell me how will feeding of populace make Nigeria industrialized. When You feed people it ends there but when you create industries and allow them to thrive you feed them through employement, shelter them, and even earn taxes and forex. The APC are too desperate to impress and may end up going for a short term stomach infrastructure that will blot recurrent expenditure.

Have you had a look at APC's manifesto? Is feeding some school children the only thing you saw there?

Do you mean you didn't read how they plan to revitalize some already dead industries?

Didn't you read in it how they plan to create job?

If you have not read it, check it here and take your time to read and digest it.
http://apc.com.ng/apcroadmap.pdf

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Economy Under Threat As Debts Hit N11trillion by Nobody: 7:57am On May 07, 2015
O ma se o! Yet some buffoon still wants this man 2 continue ruling this nation.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Economy Under Threat As Debts Hit N11trillion by Sibrah: 8:00am On May 07, 2015
barcanista:
It is one thing to criticise, it is another thing to show leadership. Many people criticise, including those in government at lower level. For instance, Osun is in huge financial crises, yet rather than stop the policy of feeding of school kids, they maintain it just to prove a point. That is an example of bad fiscal policy. It is no crime to take to austerity when things aren't going well.
The guy needs to stop free feeding and allowance for un productivity and do more of Omoluabi Garment Factory. He is resisting the urge to stop these religious inclined schemes like feeding. They feel it is more noble to feed people. It is sort of like giving out alms to the 'Mekunus'
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Under Threat As Debts Hit N11trillion by Nobody: 8:00am On May 07, 2015
grin
rusher14:

Alert never enter.

grin ..you no well

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Economy Under Threat As Debts Hit N11trillion by Reference(m): 8:00am On May 07, 2015
4Play:

Now that oil prices have fallen, it's hilarious seeing people asking for recourse to the savings. Just a few months ago when oil prices were still high, the short-sighted demands of the opposition was that we should have no such savings.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-09-30/nigeria-s-opposition-wants-to-scrap-sovereign-oil-funds

Now that our economic illiteracy is bearing fruit, the person who was warning about the need for fiscal prudence and savings is receiving abuse whilst the people who wanted it depleted are seeking to gain political capital from a relative lack of savings. You people are dolts.

Government is never the problem. It is always the people. They ultimately decide what is acceptable and their decisions or indecisions will steer the ship of state. Whether fuel subsidy, economic diversification, excess crude/sovereign wealth or even socio-political issues such as constitutional review, Nigerians are largely irrational and are failing themselves.

Of course the new government will borrow. Of course it will rather 'allocate from the centre', of course it will have its own cartels, rent seekers and thieves. These are things government, any government cannot do without. It is onjy the people that can bring about fundamental change on the altar of personal interests in favour of collective, lasting ideals. It is only the people who can agree to liquidate a bankrupt Osun, Imo or Zamfara. It is only the people who will decide if Holy Pilgrimages are an investment or an expense.

I wish to warn again about the waste of time and distraction from the 'fundamentals' this anti-corruption ideology is become. I wouldn't go as far as saying that the drum beats of corruption around the outgoing regime coincided with the moves first to reform the oil sector, then reform the country as a whole through 'the Confab'. The truth is I would rather invest in a company with strong fundamentals rather than one that strives not to lose a penny. I am rather worried about how many bridges Julius Berger is building than what the CEO earns or what his CFO steals. Even if every penny this country earns is kept, will it develop this country, no. Can it match our population, no. Will it make us rich, no. Will it build all the infrastructure, no. Especially when oil prices fall. We are a strategically vulnerable country not because of corruption but because Nigerians are not willing to take the risk of communal trust and bear the sacrifices of nationhood.

Watch out. We will gain a few dollars here and there as people steal less but the great cover-up, the great deception will remain for another many years. When OBJ said the elections saved us from the brink, I just smiled. Yes, of course. The brink of the truth.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Economy Under Threat As Debts Hit N11trillion by PassingShot(m): 8:01am On May 07, 2015
barcanista:

I do not mind Osun discontinuing the feeding program if the govt feels it's not sustainable. However, the state govt has a right to continue it if it feels it will get out of the present financial mess within a short period without discontinuing the program.

I believe the state is looking at many options to get out of the challenges.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Economy Under Threat As Debts Hit N11trillion by 4Play(m): 8:01am On May 07, 2015
PassingShot:

Really, you're sounding very funny now. Does it mean that not supporting or operating illegal accounts translate to not having savings? Aren't there many other legal ways of saving our excess earnings? Can't a bill be sponsored to operate the SWF and ECA so that they become legal?

It's quite simple, your party's position is, or was until it became recently inconvenient, that the constitution does not allow for savings. It's not a question of merely sponsoring bills, by the way, nothing stopped your legislators from sponsoring one and I would be obliged if you can refer to one they sponsored.

Don't worry at all. Whatever can be recovered will be recover but do not come here to shout witch-hunting or victimization as some of you sympathetic to PDP have already been doing here. Do not complain when the searchlights start to beam.

My position has always been that your party and PDP are both crooks. 2 cheeks of the same bu-tt. If your party is going to recover the money anyway, then there is no need for these hyperbolic claims of economic doom. The reality is that this all smacks of expectations management.
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Under Threat As Debts Hit N11trillion by Nobody: 8:04am On May 07, 2015
Sibrah:
The guy needs to stop free feeding and allowance for un productivity and do more of Omoluabi Garment Factory. He is resisting the urge to stop these religious inclined schemes like feeding. They feel it is more noble to feed people. It is sort of like giving out alms to the 'Mekunus'
God bless you for the bold. The Omoluabi Garment factory will not only create revenue for the state but will open room for employment and cause support firms to spring up. This is what a government should be doing. We should ONLY take to Social program from a certain percentage of our excess revenues just to take care of the under-privileged amongst us, and it should be modelled within the scope of reality.
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Under Threat As Debts Hit N11trillion by ribbit: 8:07am On May 07, 2015
barcanista:
I have not been comfortable on reading that the FG borrowed money to pay wages and salaries of workers. This is sad and a shame. Saner countries borrow to fund developmental project, ours is to consume and loot. One of our challenges in this country has been fiscal indiscipline, and it is appearing like we aren't getting better. Jonathan administration with due respect has done little or nothing to better the situation, and the APC program is more of consumption than long term development. Truth must be said, we are in a dire situation. The incoming administration have lots of work to do.
the first time I will read something from you without you sounding like a slowpoke.
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Under Threat As Debts Hit N11trillion by Nobody: 8:08am On May 07, 2015
PassingShot:

I do not mind Osun discontinuing the feeding program if the govt feels it's not sustainable. However, the state govt has a right to continue it if it feels it will get out of the present financial mess within a short period without discontinuing the program.

I believe the state is looking at many options to get out of the challenges.
This is what Sibrah wrote on this Osun Feeding stuff...
Please note the emboldened... Rather than spend over N3.4 billion annually to "feed" children while their parents are owed salaries, the government can do the emboldened with 80% of the money. It will not only create lots of jobs, but will attract support firms and increase state revenue. It will invariably support the growth of industrialisation of Osun state and if well managed, it could serve as source for export too. These are what States should be doing to make real money.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Economy Under Threat As Debts Hit N11trillion by Sibrah: 8:08am On May 07, 2015
PassingShot:

Have you had a look at APC's manifesto? Is feeding some school children the only thing you saw there?

Do you mean you didn't read how they plan to revitalize some already dead industries?

Didn't you read in it how they plan to create job?

If you have not read it, check it here and take your time to read and digest it.
What happens when recurrent based schemes negate the industrial based schemes?
The fact that you have some good plans does not justify some bad plans.
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Under Threat As Debts Hit N11trillion by Nobody: 8:09am On May 07, 2015
ribbit:
the first time I will read something from you without you sounding like a slowpoke.
Am I sounding like a fastpoke this time?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Economy Under Threat As Debts Hit N11trillion by Nobody: 8:10am On May 07, 2015
See as GEJ and okonjo-nweala dey scatter our economy. This wot happens wen u give women vita positions like finance n petroleum even aviation. I know Buhari wont make dat mistake of surrounding himself with so call educated women
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Under Threat As Debts Hit N11trillion by Tycike: 8:13am On May 07, 2015
Is she saying Nigeria is broke like Greece?
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Under Threat As Debts Hit N11trillion by Edusouls(m): 8:13am On May 07, 2015
Truckpusher:
APC making series of 'I will fail' comments to have ready excuses to justify their imminent failure. grin

black monkey.
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Under Threat As Debts Hit N11trillion by 4Play(m): 8:19am On May 07, 2015
Reference:

Government is never the problem. It is always the people. They ultimately decide what is acceptable and their decisions or indecisions will steer the ship of state. Whether fuel subsidy, economic diversification, excess crude/sovereign wealth or even socio-political issues such as constitutional review, Nigerians are largely irrational and are failing themselves.

Of course the new government will borrow. Of course it will rather 'allocate from the centre', of course it will have its own cartels, rent seekers and thieves. These are things government, any government cannot do without. It is onjy the people that can bring about fundamental change on the altar of personal interests in favour of collective, lasting ideals. It is only the people who can agree to liquidate a bankrupt Osun, Imo or Zamfara. It is only the people who will decide if Holy Pilgrimages are an investment or an expense.

I wish to warn again about the waste of time and distraction from the 'fundamentals' this anti-corruption ideology is become. I wouldn't go as far as saying that the drum beats of corruption around the outgoing regime coincided with the moves first to reform the oil sector, then reform the country as a whole through 'the Confab'. The truth is I would rather invest in a company with strong fundamentals rather than one that strives not to lose a penny. I am rather worried about how many bridges Julius Berger is building than what the CEO earns or what his CFO steals. Even if every penny this country earns is kept, will it develop this country, no. Can it match our population, no. Will it make us rich, no. Will it build all the infrastructure, no. Especially when oil prices fall. We are a strategically vulnerable country not because of corruption but because Nigerians are not willing to take the risk of communal trust and bear the sacrifices of nationhood.

Watch out. We will gain a few dollars here and there as people steal less but the great cover-up, the great deception will remain for another many years. When OBJ said the elections saved us from the brink, I just smiled. Yes, of course. The brink of the truth.

They do say people get the governments they deserve. Much of Nigerian political discourse dwells on how the "cake" is to be split, not on how to expand the cake - Should the Government subsidise fuel, should it give ASUU wage rises, should it give doctors wage rises ,e.t.c People forget that you can only squeeze out so much from oil revenues which are in any case volatile as prices can easily fall, as we are now witnessing, leaving the country vulnerable.

There is a greath myth that has developed that our problems are solely or largely a corruption problem. That with a "person of integrity" at the helms, we would suddenly possess the means to solve our problems. In many ways, Sanusi's exaggerated $20bn/$49bn claims helped to perpetuate that myth.The reality is a lot more nuanced than that and it would become apparent in the coming years. No doubt many would seek to reconcile their dissapointment in the future by proclaiming that Buhari is actually corrupt or that, as this thread seeks to do, GEJ has stolen all the money. But if there is one benefit of Buhari's incoming administration, it is that it may at last force a genuine reconsideration of what lies at the root of our problems. I remain very pessimistic.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Economy Under Threat As Debts Hit N11trillion by Edusouls(m): 8:21am On May 07, 2015
clip:
Jonathan from surplus(foreign reserve) and oil boom price(more than $100 per barrel) to borrowing. I conclude that your are the most corrupt President.
Stealing is not corruption
Corruption is not stealing.
If you are prudent enough like Joseph in the bible people should be coming for help from us.
jonathan is the most corrupt president in nigerian history after abacha.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Economy Under Threat As Debts Hit N11trillion by donodion(m): 8:23am On May 07, 2015
angry I'm in a killing mode for any serving minister under GEJ......starting with those in finance.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Economy Under Threat As Debts Hit N11trillion by Nobody: 8:25am On May 07, 2015
Truckpusher:

You must be very very daft and wicked.
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Under Threat As Debts Hit N11trillion by anonimi: 8:26am On May 07, 2015
LocalChamp:
http://thenationonlineng.net/new/nigerias-economy-under-threat-as-debts-hit-n11tr/

Believe this propaganda to make excuses for BabaOneChance at your own risk and peril!

The JagbaJantis LIE manufacturing machine is still working at full capacity grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Economy Under Threat As Debts Hit N11trillion by misterh(m): 8:29am On May 07, 2015
chuna1985:

please remove soludos strict st.upidity from here, I don't respond to issues concerning a power hungry individual who has already been in the helms of this same affair n has nothing to show for it.

Back to the topic, where did she goof? back up ur argument with facts about her crimes or her flaws...

If trains highways have no relationship with the economy, I guess I'd advise u to stop talking about things u don't know.

Many Nigerians are very gullible just like u, Wen u read any article (especially the ones that suggest billions of dollars is missing) u just believe it without even trying to analyse it.

Develop a mind of ur own n desist from following the crowd...
'Soludo's strict stupidity'?? Lol. Once again, did you read his article? Is there anywhere in the article where he lied?
Back to the topic, how come Nigeria is now borrowing to pay salaries? Even after we've been told that we're the biggest economy in Africa. The oil price under this govt was high. How have we fared with the excess revenue? How have the said trains affected the general economic prosperity of the nation? Can you provide the stats? Lol. You say I'm gullible to believe that billions are missing but PWC just proved I'm not with the recent audit. Alison Maduekwe also said something about NNPC remitting funds running into billions into the federation acct.
Once again, how has her coming to Nigeria helped develop the country's economy? Have Nigerians benefitted from her coming?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Economy Under Threat As Debts Hit N11trillion by Jesusloveyou: 8:30am On May 07, 2015
Truckpusher:

is that d reason gej is a curse to nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Economy Under Threat As Debts Hit N11trillion by bogolobango(m): 8:33am On May 07, 2015
11trillion minus 2 trillion spent on campaign GEJ dairis GOD ooooooo
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Under Threat As Debts Hit N11trillion by anonimi: 8:35am On May 07, 2015
ShaddyTerese:
That's the more reason why GMB must leave no stone unturned in recovering stolen funds. #No mercy#

Yes from all these people plus Tinubu, Fashola, Aregbesola etc, not so

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2102459_apcteam_png6dc9407cdcc2b68174c445361fc3e4c9
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Under Threat As Debts Hit N11trillion by anonimi: 8:37am On May 07, 2015
misterh:
Back to the topic, how come Nigeria is now borrowing to pay salaries? Even after we've been told that we're the biggest economy in Africa. The oil price under this govt was high. How have we fared with the excess revenue?

FYI =>

FG, States, LGs Share N568.4 Billion for Oct
15 NOVEMBER 2013

Also, $1billion was proposed for distribution to complement shortfall in expected revenue." The $1billion is a compromise by the FG over its words in September not to augment shortfalls anymore.

Responding to the presentation, the chairman of the States Commissioners of Finance and Ebonyi State Commissioner of Finance, Mr Timothy Odaah, lamented that the statutory allocation was getting smaller and smaller. "It appears this is the worst in terms of returns. This is the least in allocations as far as this year is concerned. We are mourning the dearth of funds and this is a wakeup call for states and local governments to buoy up their internally generated revenue."

While appreciating the "magnanimity" of President Goodluck Jonathan to approve the $1billion from the excess crude account and to be shared among the federal, state and local governments, Odaah expressed disappointment with the returns made by the NNPC.

He said that [size=14pt]the states had requested for $2bn[/size] to complement for the shortfall in revenue but got only $1billion. In September, Odaah and fellow commissioners had walked out of the Accountant General of the Federation (AGF) when the federal government said that the framework of the 2013 budget was no longer realistic and it won't augment shortfall in revenue. Odaah raised issues with the statutory allocations of previous months.

More from: http://allafrica.com/stories/201311150323.html

Any further question
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Under Threat As Debts Hit N11trillion by sosereal201(m): 8:40am On May 07, 2015
[quote author=OREMUSSANCTUS post=33495316]Even china america dhe owe debts
So nufin so special abt dis news
Money was used for developmental projects
Only dat u all fail to accept dat he worked very hard for dis country

Say no to "change"
Say yes to transformation

It is obvious that some people are delusional, when we all are crying for the betterment of our dear country, surprisingly we see people who want transformation. Is it transformation from being poor to being poorer? If these kind of people we are talking about find themselves in government they will be worse than the out going thieves.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Osinbajo Meets All State Governors (Photos) / Speakership: Gbajabiamila Adjourns Plenary Indefinitely Over Fear Of Impeachment / Lawan Mari Defiles 6-Year-Old Boy, Suspended By Governor Mai Mala Buni

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.