Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,163 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:11 AM

Let's Talk Jazz - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Let's Talk Jazz (11910 Views)

Singers, Rap Artistes, Producers, Come In Here; Let's Talk. / Let's Talk About Nigerian Musicians / Jazz Growth in Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let's Talk Jazz by diakim(m): 12:45pm On Mar 31, 2005
Any Jazz lover in the forum?
Who is your favourite Jazz artist and what are your favourite Jazz tracks? How often do you listen to Jazz music? Lets talk Jazz,

I have several favaourite Jazz artists, but notably the best among them is Dave Koz, Kenny G (the great saxophonist) and Yanni (aka as the Jazzmaster).

There is no day that pass without my listening to Jazz. I even have my favourite tracks loaded on my cellphone which is capable of playing MP3.
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by delarontus(f): 7:30pm On Apr 02, 2005
I love Najee cos he has introduced some kind of beats into the whole thing. Like Dave Koz, Kenny G but generally i love music so maybe not too much jazz
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by diakim(m): 10:54am On Apr 05, 2005
Our own Kunle Ajayi cannot be overlooked also. He is making waves in South Africa. He is very good with the saxophone. He will soon be another Dave Koz.
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by Ra(f): 5:28pm On Apr 06, 2005
I love music to bits. I've been in the choir all my life, well not presently anyways. Yeah, I love jazz but I must say my favorite of all times remain Kenny G. True talk about Kunle Ajayi too. People who've got the wherewithal such as venue, artists and the modalities should really think about organizing jazz nights once in a while, you'll be amazed how soothing it is to the soul. That's the effect of good music generally anyway not disorganized noise like DMX or the likes. Sorry o DMX lovers.
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by diakim(m): 5:11pm On Apr 07, 2005
Yes Ra, As if you read my thoughts.

Somebody who 've got the wherewithals and know-hows should organise Jazz nights once in a while.
Recently a Jaz Festival was organised in Jo'burg, South Africa, featuring reknowned Jazz artists from African and other parts of the world. The organisers charged $1,500 dollars (all inclusive) to go for the programme from Nigeria.

I would have loved to be there, and I wished I am rich enough to afford such trip. And to think that I was in Jo'burg just 2 weeks before the event, barely missing it.

Anyway, Jazz is gradually becoming a recognised music in Nigeria. Thanks to Kunle Ajayi & co. So, it is just a question of time before we start having such events in Nigeria.
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by Allenpowered(m): 8:17am On May 12, 2005
JAzz. don't i just love the sound of it...the new guys are good but at heart i am still an old school fella.

I still think no one can beat Louis Armstrong and Chet Baker when it comes to trumpets, and when it comes to sax: Buddy Arnold is my fellow anytime.

Jazz in naija is still growing and i hope the day is near when we'll have jaz festivals
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by diakim(m): 9:05am On May 12, 2005
By the way, does anyone know of any Jazz club in Lagos? Or is there any club where they feature regular jazz artists?

I know of Jazz Hole at Awolowo Road, Ikoyi. But them they only sell Jazz audio music and general African music and books.
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by dominobaby(f): 9:00am On May 17, 2005
Jazz lovers can tune to Rhythm 93.7 fm on Sundays at 8 p.m and enjoy Jazz with Ben Ofili a.k.a 'Buffly". smiley
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by Nobody: 12:14pm On Jun 24, 2005
Wow! Finally a place I can discuss My passion....JAZZ!!
Jazz is my life and my life is jazz. I listen to all kinds of jazz including smooth jazz, traditional jazz and swing jazz which is my fav! Apparently, I also play an instrument too, the electric bass. and love to groove different styles of jazz with my band.
I have tons of Jazz CDs in my house and listen to jazz everyday. I also own a World Space Radio and listen to "Riff" a channel dedicated to jazz music.
Has anybody heard of Bright Gain? He's a Nigerian jazz virtuoso who play like a 'beast'. He's to me the greatest jazz musician in this country. I also like T-Mark...the half Itshekiri half swiss flutist.

The problem with Nigeria is that we are not used to 'listening' music but we love 'dance music'. Jazz is an art that can only be enjoyed by a matured mind...a mind that can comprehend its message. albeit, we are getting there...more people are beginning to like the music.
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by Nobody: 12:30pm On Jun 24, 2005
Someone said something about looking for a place where he/she can listen to live jazz.

I dont live in Lagos anymore but I remember Ojez club ,Onike every 3 Sunday or so by 5pm.
You'll have to pay a gate fee.

Sometimes, there are jazz gigs at "The Lords Club" Mary Land and Muson Center. which are usually announced in the media.

Regards!
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by galala: 12:39pm On Oct 11, 2005
Nigeria has had a tradition of jazz influenced players over the years and even in the 80's we had our own international jazz festivals where Dizzy was a guest of honour and Toshiko akiyoshi played with her big band.

Of all the musicians playing now both at home and abroad i think funsho ogundipe of ayetoro has been able to create a nigerian sound based on jazz . i remember his songs something dey from 98 and also the new one being played on lagos radio Naija blues pt2.
u can check out his band website
(www.ayetoro.com)
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by darlingbas(m): 10:43pm On Nov 02, 2005
I am a Jazz man, i am jazz bassist, i listen to dave weckl john coltrane miles davis, the breckers brother john patitucci and ofcourse i listen to myself
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by tuxpow3r(m): 12:27am On Nov 04, 2005
my first post, w00t! Anyway to name a few jazz artists that I like, I really dig the Marsalis family, Wynton, Bradford... and of course Yanni ranks up there for me as well. Hugh Masekela is another artist that I really love to listen to, his tribute to Fela is nice.
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by Nobody: 1:45pm On Nov 05, 2005
Hello!
Could Darlingbas be the famous Darlington on the Bass! Spectrum4! If it is, welcome to nairaland!
I've listened to you play before and you've got such incredible tone on the bass. I play a lot of jazz too and I love walking the bass a lot. I love Jaco Pastorius (R.I.P), Bright Gain, Charlie Mingus to mention a few.
I also love the jazz messengers...Wyton, Bradford, Art Blakey..tight!!
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by nferyn(m): 11:33pm On Nov 06, 2005
Coltrane and Miles Davis fan.
I just love the eery sound of Davis' trumpet. His interpretations of Spanish classics in Sketches of Spai[/i]n chill me to the bone and bring tears to my eyes. If I need some real emotions, I just put on Davis.
[i]Kind of Blue
is probably the standard to beat when it comes to improvising. Absolutely stunning
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by raregroove(m): 10:12am On Nov 16, 2005
Who listens to free jazz? i'm a sucker for bebop but i'm also impartial to ragtime & free jazz, I saw the leading proponent - Ornette Coleman @the Cheltenham jazz festival, hard work but nonetheless rewarding!
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by raregroove(m): 10:23am On Nov 16, 2005
nferyn:

Coltrane and Miles Davis fan.
I just love the eery sound of Davis' trumpet. His interpretations of Spanish classics in Sketches of Spai[/i]n chill me to the bone and bring tears to my eyes. If I need some real emotions, I just put on Davis.
[i]Kind of Blue
is probably the standard to beat when it comes to improvising. Absolutely stunning

nferyn, have you listened to trane's collaboration with Don Cherry - The Avant Garde? A mind boggling take on Ornette Coleman's classics...
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by nferyn(m): 2:45pm On Nov 16, 2005
raregroove:

nferyn, have you listened to trane's collaboration with Don Cherry - The Avant Garde? A mind boggling take on Ornette Coleman's classics...

No I haven't, but you make me curious. I don't really know Jazz all that well. There are some things I like and that I want to listen to over and over again. Apart from that, I'm just an ignoramus on the subject. I'm quite happy you want to educate me though cheesy
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by raregroove(m): 3:12pm On Nov 16, 2005
nferyn:

No I haven't, but you make me curious. I don't really know Jazz all that well. There are some things I like and that I want to listen to over and over again. Apart from that, I'm just an ignoramus on the subject. I'm quite happy you want to educate me though cheesy

Ornette coleman's "Free jazz, a collective improvisation by the OC double quartet" was a huge inspiration for Trane's 1965 Ascension album.

On John Coltrane & Don Cherry album,Trane's sheets of sound meets the Ornette coleman's harmolodics sound, however Ornette is missing on this album, this album or any of the ones i mentioned are not for people of weak construction, if you like music where a lot is going on behind the scenes then this album is a must, but I must warn you it has a very quirky nature...
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by raregroove(m): 3:18pm On Nov 16, 2005
nferyn:

Apologies for getting ahead of myself, please find below wikipedia's definition of free jazz:

Free jazz, or avant-garde jazz, is a movement of jazz music characterized by diminished dependence on formal constraints. Developed in the 1950s and 1960s, it was pioneered by artists such as Ornette Coleman, Cecil Taylor, Albert Ayler, Archie Shepp, Bill Dixon and Paul Bley. Some of the best known examples are the later works of John Coltrane.
[i][/i]

To put it mildly, it is highly improvised, adventurous & unstructured jazz to the nth degree...
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by galala: 5:25pm On Nov 17, 2005
Free jazz is very cool. i personally like Sun ra and a guy called sunny murrar who is the don of free jazz drumming. there are some cool compilations you can find on the net especially about the new york loft scene. check out ascension by coltrane and the live at the village vanguard recordings. smoking stuff!!!!
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by galala: 5:26pm On Nov 17, 2005
Free jazz is very cool. i personally like Sun ra and a guy called sunny murray who is the don of free jazz drumming. there are some cool compilations you can find on the net especially about the new york loft scene. check out ascension by coltrane and the live at the village vanguard recordings. smoking stuff!!!!
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by raregroove(m): 5:37pm On Nov 17, 2005
galala:

Free jazz is very cool. i personally like Sun ra and a guy called sunny murray who is the don of free jazz drumming. there are some cool compilations you can find on the net especially about the new york loft scene. check out ascension by coltrane and the live at the village vanguard recordings. smoking stuff!!!!

I'll check sunny murray out, but elvin jones still ranks as my favourite drummer of all times, his frenetic energy knocks me out.

Sun Ra? he's a bad (as in cool) guy, so are Albert Ayler & the father of them all - Ornette Coleman, he takes no prisoners....
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by Nobody: 8:51pm On Dec 25, 2005
This is strictly for lovers of jazz...swing, latin, etc

There will be a show tomorrow the 26th December at Lords Club Maryland featuring, the Censers of Gold, JazzMind, Ayo Solanke to mention a few.
The show starts 6pm prompt.
Its NOT free. The tickets cost 1000 naira.
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by Advin(m): 10:05pm On Jan 04, 2006
my best;
Yani
Earl Clough
Irakere.
Chayanne
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by Miller(m): 5:04am On Jan 22, 2006
smiley
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by gentleaura(m): 6:03am On Jan 22, 2006
Just having some new found love for Jazz...still I got mad love for Jazz.....

Give me some Chet Baker, Quincy Jones, Louis Armstrong, John Coltran, Duke Ellington, Diana Krall and this new guy Chris Botti....

U can never go wrong with smooth Jazz any day!!!
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by Miller(m): 11:20pm On Feb 02, 2006
m smiley
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by gentleaura(m): 11:26pm On Feb 02, 2006
Oops mah bad!!...u will know better with them, they are just ma personal choices which is good!....U look like a friend of mine, where are u at?
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by Miller(m): 11:30pm On Feb 02, 2006
Yeah, its cool. I know they are your choices. I am in London. I can see you are in Canada, aight!
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by Miller(m): 12:20am On Feb 07, 2006
smiley
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by doshbass(m): 4:55pm On Feb 07, 2006
I am a Bassist who loves Jazz, The guys that got me into jazz and music are very close friends of mine Femi Temowo and
michael Olatuja. When it comes to Nigerian Jazz players in UK that are known to top musicians in the UK Scene These two guys are on the top of the list if not the top. You cannot compare these guys to lekan, akin or agbo and co thats an insult. These guys have played in Ronnie scotts, Northsea Jazz festival, Montreaux jazz festival, pizza express etc not to now talk of the big artist they've played with like George benson,miss dynamite, terry walker, amy winehouse, soweto. ...... infact just type in Michael olatuja or femi temowo on google's browser and let google do the talking
also check out Soweto Kinch's album called "conversation with the unseen"
I am not underestimating anyother nigerian jazz musician, but these guys are the top in UK jazz, well they are not known to many nigerians.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Best Website For Downloading American Songs / Tinie Tempah Ft. Wizkid – Mamacita (Video) / Top 10 Selling Artist In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.