Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,855 members, 7,813,912 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:28 PM

Let's Talk Jazz - Music/Radio (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Let's Talk Jazz (11917 Views)

Singers, Rap Artistes, Producers, Come In Here; Let's Talk. / Let's Talk About Nigerian Musicians / Jazz Growth in Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Let's Talk Jazz by ToToChoper: 3:34am On Feb 14, 2009
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by ToToChoper: 3:57am On Feb 14, 2009
Route 66----------remake by Natalie Cole & Diana Krall

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3229020787646375057
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by drrionelli(m): 12:45pm On Jul 14, 2009
Ah, there is so much passion in jazz! cool
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by Mitchelin(m): 7:47pm On Jul 14, 2009
Cool genre, love it, got a whole repertoire, can't begin naming, btw, Yanni is not a jazz artist, he's new age.
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by Elgaxton(m): 12:45pm On Jul 15, 2009
Yeah! I looove Jazz very much and as an instrumentalist, u hear me fill in Jazz chords without mercy cheesy

Atimes pple ask me how come ur chords progression sounds so different and I'm like " well u know smiley"

Jazz is the beauty of music! I love it well.

Like Mitchelin said Yanni is not a Jazz artist, he simply plays New Age Music.

I wonder why pple call his music jazz where everything he plays is pretty simple though enigmatic
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by nuffrespek: 9:44pm On Jul 15, 2009
DId anybody see Femi Kuti's interview on SPIN Earth's Africa page? He gives a lot of hope to African music lovers hoping to get more bands to tour Nigeria farther than Lagos and Abuja!

http://www.spinearth.tv/articles/2013 - part 1

http://www.spinearth.tv/articles/2038 - part 2
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by drrionelli(m): 5:52pm On Oct 01, 2009
Two and a half months with no postings?  Hmmm---come on, jazz lovers!  Keep it alive!

I'd love to hear some of those progressions, Elgaxton. Do you have anything available for purchase in the US? As far as Yanni goes, it has been my experience that many casual listeners tend to think that instrumental music performed on certain instruments must, by default, be jazz or blues. As a trumpeter, I hear this often. Even if I sit-in with a rock band, as soon as I take the horn out of the case, people expect me to blow jazz or blues. When I play guitar, if I turn off the effects and get the "clean" tone, then they think it must be jazz.

Frustrating? Oh, yes! But, as long as they listen to the music, then we have a chance to educate them, right? wink
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by drrionelli(m): 9:56pm On Nov 23, 2009
In the US, we're about to celebrate Thanksgiving. One of the things I'm thankful for is jazz.

How about the rest of you? wink
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by beefy23(m): 1:22am On Nov 24, 2009
I totally agree with your sentiments about Jazz - it's just such a wonderful expression of sound.

Not being in your neck of woods therefore not sure what this time of the year is like - round here there are quite a few live gigs with some pretty amazing players.

BTW, Happy Thanksgiving in advance (or arrears) as the case may be
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by drrionelli(m): 8:55pm On Dec 01, 2009
Thank you, beefy23! And, indeed, it was a delightful one! I even got to listen to some jazz! grin
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by mbulela: 3:56am On Dec 02, 2009
been listening to the following songs in recent days;
racing with the devil on a spanish highway - AL DIMEOLA

love me like a man - DIANA KRALL

mannenberg - ABDULLAH IBRAHIM

Crazy - CASSANDRA WILSON

song for Johny Dyani - SIPHO GUMEDE

In time - COURTNEY PINE

both sides now - HERBIE HANCOCK
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by drrionelli(m): 12:50am On Dec 16, 2009
Excellent choices, all! cool

By the way, did anybody note that trumpeter Clark Terry recently had a birthday? He's 89 years young!
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by drrionelli(m): 12:49am On Dec 18, 2009
Does anybody have any listening suggestions for jazz Christmas tunes?
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by eyitayosax: 1:49am On Jan 28, 2010
Year  there  is  coz  am  Oyewusi  Omotayo  a  tenor  jazz  gospel  saxophonist about  to  start  acareer  in   jazz  gospel  music, i  really  love  the  way  yu  people  talks  about  jazz coz  i  knew all these  wizard  of  saxophone  yu  talking about , sonny  rollins, joshua, and  others, i now  listen  to joshua  very  well, i  am  addicted  in  playing  saxophone really  love  jazz , is  any  saxophone  player  in  the  forum, but  please  were  can  i  get ayo  solanke  cds
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by sebar: 8:35pm On Feb 12, 2010
been an observer with this site, having recently joined, but must say, i luv it here, as a wind instrument player maself, I know and understand d feelings here, listened to all forms of jazz music, played some of them, been to see lots of live shows of which Sonny Rollins,Teri Lynne Carriington, Alan Barnes , Bruce Adam recently, be seeing Billy Cobham this w'kend coming. however, what worries me is we in nija are so wrapped up in what is out there internationally and forget what is internal. not sure if anybody understands that jazz has been with us in Nigeria internally without us knowing or understanding where & how, for a very long ,long time. For few years I have been trying to setup amateur jazz band in Nigeria - but can't find d bodies to involve in this project, any body know how and where I can achieve this dream, I will leave d details till later, I have some fantastic ideas if anybody is interested, but u gotta be genuine and no time wasters
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by sebar: 8:42pm On Feb 12, 2010
eyitayosax , where u based will luv to jam with you if ur up 4 it,
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by sebar: 12:21am On Feb 13, 2010
sad to know dat Johnny Dankworth passed on to the great beyond this week, may his soul rest in peace
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by drrionelli(m): 8:16pm On Feb 15, 2010
Indeed, sebar  cry.  John did so much for the field and was far more influential than many realize.  My heart goes out to Cleo, his wife of over 50 years.  Let's hope that she continues singing to keep their collective passion alive.
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by drrionelli(m): 9:34pm On Feb 25, 2010
Does anybody know if Cleo is still going to perform shows now that Johnny has died? Has there been any talk of her and her children performing together?
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by drrionelli(m): 12:06am On May 18, 2010
I have just read that jazz icon Hank Jones has died at the age of 91. cry
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by drrionelli(m): 4:50am On Mar 12, 2011
The title says it all--let's talk jazz! grin
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by AjanleKoko: 1:28pm On Mar 14, 2011
Nice thread.
I prefer the Latin sounds. Luis Salinas, Eddie Palmieri, Tito Puente, Habana Sax, and others of that persuasion. Santana and the Latin Jazz orchestra are two groups that I listen to a lot.

I also have some interest in the African sound. Manu Dibango, Fela, Hugh Masakela. South Africa has a rich jazz culture in general. Hugh Masakela, I particularly have a keen interest in. The man is solid, and has tons of works to his name.
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by halfcurrent(m): 10:53pm On Jul 02, 2011
Nice thread!!!
Re: Let's Talk Jazz by lilliesboy(m): 12:22am On Mar 16, 2016
This is a very nice thread, I just stumbled on it. I started getting interested in Jazz late last year (2015) after I listened to Yanni's songs, although I have been listening to some Jazz music on radio stations since childhood. There is this particular old and popular Jazz music that many Nigerian radio stations used to play or use as their "background music" whenever they are talking (especially in the morning). I have been trying to buy/download it but don't know the name (as Jazz mainly do with sounds), but it's an old skool Jazz music and very melodious. Radio Rivers 2, Radio Bayelsa etc, often played it. Can anyone here (a Nigerian) list some popular Old Skool Jazz played on radio? Or drop/inbox me your phone number; I will call and "hume" the tune to you and see if you know the song. Please. # This is my number: 07037580757

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Best Website For Downloading American Songs / Tinie Tempah Ft. Wizkid – Mamacita (Video) / [DOWNLOAD VIDEO] Niyola (@iamniyola) - Toh Bad (official Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.