Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,162 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:36 AM

Electricity Supply Drops To 2,817.05MW - Federal Ministry Of Power - Science/Technology (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Electricity Supply Drops To 2,817.05MW - Federal Ministry Of Power (12632 Views)

FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know / Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. / Power Supply Falls To 2,988MW, Yet Again! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Electricity Supply Drops To 2,817.05MW - Federal Ministry Of Power by anyaekekehinde(m): 12:12pm On May 08, 2015
gists:

The problem with people like you is that you fail to see you're being fed with lies and will rather clap for mediocre performance while creating all sort of excuses for a failed government. Why not ask companies like flour Mills that are generating power from gas where they get the gas from. Or are they not in this same Nigeria?

Imagine flour mills have enough gas to generate power. I bet EKO disco and many other discos can do same if given the right. i dare say gas is not the problem but political-will
while I will not rule-out saboteurs, it still boils down to political will to get the situation arrested.

I like your argument, by the time i entered the power industry, that question kept on bothering my mind. its not the same price that power plants buy gas that flour mills and other companies using GT buys gas for captive power generation. The price that those companies buy gas is way way higher than the price that gas fired power stations buys gas, if the power plants buys gas at premium price, tariff will go very high ooo.
Re: Electricity Supply Drops To 2,817.05MW - Federal Ministry Of Power by SMGS(m): 12:18pm On May 08, 2015
In my time, we will achieve 24hrs power supply, and even supply to other countries that don't have the capacity to generate - I AM THE PRESIDENT OF NIGERIA
Re: Electricity Supply Drops To 2,817.05MW - Federal Ministry Of Power by Johnnycife(m): 1:06pm On May 08, 2015
We've not had light even when the supply increased so whats the use anytime we see am we take am like that[color=#000000][/color] angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Electricity Supply Drops To 2,817.05MW - Federal Ministry Of Power by Nobody: 1:09pm On May 08, 2015
netmillionaires:

the amount that is missing, is it in naira or dollars?

You can use any currency u like, even pounds or euro or Zimbabwe dollar can do.

The whistle blower was not sure of the amount so I guess he won't be sure of the currency either.
Re: Electricity Supply Drops To 2,817.05MW - Federal Ministry Of Power by netmillionaires(m): 1:36pm On May 08, 2015
chuna1985:

You can use any currency u like, even pounds or euro or Zimbabwe dollar can do.

The whistle blower was not sure of the amount so I guess he won't be sure of the currency either.
be reasonable for once. The fact is that Nigeria has enough money for 200bilions for electricity. That is if we go by ur logic...
Re: Electricity Supply Drops To 2,817.05MW - Federal Ministry Of Power by EmmyDe25(m): 3:55pm On May 08, 2015
gists:
I am pretty sure this perennial problem is more of political will than technical know-how.
This is the result of the fraudulent privatization that some saTANists wants us to celebrate and praise gej for.
What else can we really expect when the gov. sell public assets to their friends and allies as compensation for their roles in dirty politics just to hang on to power. I flew in to Nigeria some months back in the night and everywhere was dark - sharp contrast to what I saw when I left and got to my destination also in the night.

While privatization is the way to a lasting solution to this disgraceful problem, using it as a compensation for cronies can only produce more reduction in available power - how else do we explain lower available power when gej was on commissioning spree a week to elections.

I know for sure some private companies are already generating electricity from gas. I strongly believe this can be replicated by the discos. It is only when it comes to IPP that gas supply becomes an issue. The discos should be given a "partial" license to generate a fraction of the electricity demand for their area. All legislation barring them to generate should be relaxed. Imagine kaduna disco or eko disco or phed generating about 30% of the demand. Add that to what is already being supplied to them from the grid. It should come to about 60%. At an individual level, this translate to about 16 hours of electricity for everybody.

Their is no miracle Buhari can perform if we have to wait for the national grid. The discos needs to be given a bit more role.
Spot on.
Re: Electricity Supply Drops To 2,817.05MW - Federal Ministry Of Power by MadCow1: 4:02pm On May 08, 2015
linkin8k:

Because it's too dangerous with lack of maintenance culture, militancy, vandalism and terrorism present in our country. Look at the scare from the Japanese nuclear power plant some years back. Germany is even planning to decommission all her nuclear plants.

The Japanese Fukushima reactor crisis was caused by an earthquake.. We don't live in an earthquake prone region plus new IAEA regulations require all reactors to have a tolerance for up to .5 quake threshold.

It is costing us billions of dollars and yet we can't seem to fix our energy crisis using just gas and water. With gas vandalism cripples supply, with water low tide plus the politics of dams comes into play.. But with just one nuclear reactor, we can match the exact power output of all our existing generation facilities without stress.

The rest of your points like maintenance and more wouldn't be an issue if the government simply regulates in partnership with the IAEA. Build a military base next door and put a no fly zone over the reactor area plus the area would be off limits to the general public.

I couldn't help but notice that most large nation's with the energy demand that Nigeria requires all have Nuclear reactors including South Africa with 2 reactors. India has 21 reactors, and even the UAE have 3 under construction as we speak.

It's a cheaper and more efficient option to all we have now including a solar farm.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Electricity Supply Drops To 2,817.05MW - Federal Ministry Of Power by Nobody: 5:30pm On May 08, 2015
MadCow1:

The Japanese Fukushima reactor crisis was caused by an earthquake.. We don't live in an earthquake prone region plus new IAEA regulations require all reactors to have a tolerance for up to .5 quake threshold.

It is costing us billions of dollars and yet we can't seem to fix our energy crisis using just gas and water. With gas vandalism cripples supply, with water low tide plus the politics of dams comes into play.. But with just one nuclear reactor, we can match the exact power output of all our existing generation facilities without stress.

The rest of your points like maintenance and more wouldn't be an issue if the government simply regulates in partnership with the IAEA. Build a military base next door and put a no fly zone over the reactor area plus the area would be off limits to the general public.

I couldn't help but notice that most large nation's with the energy demand that Nigeria requires all have Nuclear reactors including South Africa with 2 reactors. India has 21 reactors, and even the UAE have 3 under construction as we speak.

It's a cheaper and more efficient option to all we have now including a solar farm.

Mbok, make them build the station for Sambisa grin sad
Shebi, it's large enough; I'd say lipsrsealed
*flees*

1 Like

Re: Electricity Supply Drops To 2,817.05MW - Federal Ministry Of Power by Whynotthetruth(m): 5:33pm On May 08, 2015
PassingShot:
Cc: Whynotthetruth

thanks for copying me...do so always...
Now, I asked you for a proof yesterday that shows that we were producing 4000-4500mw as at 2010...I am yet to receive any...
Back to topic; I see that human factor as in vandalism is responsible here so also nature factor of reduced water level...If we really desire electricity, all these sabotage which I see as both political and economical will stop...As for now, let's enjoy the darkness...

btw Atiku of APC and others are big time dealers in generators hence I wonder how much interest they have in having this sector survive...Just like Oando of Tinubu and co feed fact from subsidy hence won't want subsidy to go or do you think it was coincidence that the fight against Jonathan bid to end subsidy in 2012 was hottest in Lagos....

I point at blackmail because you can't scoop gas which is gaseous/vapour/flammable if you burst these pipelines rather it is simply sabotage... Nigeria we hail thee...

BTW who knows the stage of work at Jonathan biggest dam project in the north...As in that $1billion dollar dam...CC barcanista...do you about stage of work there now
Re: Electricity Supply Drops To 2,817.05MW - Federal Ministry Of Power by francizy(m): 5:48pm On May 08, 2015
Whynotthetruth:

thanks for copying me...do so always...
Now, I asked you for a proof yesterday that shows that we were producing 4000-4500mw as at 2010...I am yet to receive any...
Back to topic; I see that human factor as in vandalism is responsible here so also nature factor of reduced water level...If we really desire electricity, all these sabotage which I see as both political and economical will stop...As for now, let's enjoy the darkness...

btw Atiku of APC and others are big time dealers in generators hence I wonder how much interest they have in having this sector survive...Just like Oando of Tinubu and co feed fact from subsidy hence won't want subsidy to go or do you think it was coincidence that the fight against Jonathan bid to end subsidy in 2012 was hottest in Lagos....

I point at blackmail because you can't scoop gas which is gaseous/vapour/flammable if you burst these pipelines rather it is simply sabotage... Nigeria we hail thee...

BTW who knows the stage of work at Jonathan biggest dam project in the north...As in that $1billion dollar dam...CC barcanista...do you about stage of work there now

My dear brother, I have to say the truth in this case. Jonathan failed in terms of power sector. He had a power minister that worked and got Nigerians enjoying power almost constant supply but had to let him resign because the cabals and generator importers were not happy. Prof Berth would have transformed the power sector for good if he had been there till now. He didn't stay for long and worked magic but resigned due to some pressure. When I see the truth, I will say.

That doesn't mean he didn't try in agricultural sector and railway sector which has been abandoned for decades.

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Supply Drops To 2,817.05MW - Federal Ministry Of Power by Nobody: 8:39pm On May 08, 2015
Trottle:
hello? china's three gorges dam was built with ¥180 billion (US$26 billion) with a generating capacity of 22,500mw. how come your 1000mw is 5billion dollars? please give us the breakdown.

The Chinese dam was built between 2003 and 2008(it took 5 years, Nigerians can't wait 5 years for any president to finish building just 1000MW...we need 20,000MW for now)...And was completed 7 years ago, its very likely that prices may have risen...

It costs 26 billion dollars for 22500 megawatt, that's 1.1 billion dollars per 1,000 megawatt.

Labour is cheap in China, they have 100% technical knowhow and they manufacture all materials that will be used to build it.....Nigeria manufactures nothing, have 0% technical know-how as well...So we can never get it @ that price.

From reports I've seen online, experts say that that dam project is billions of dollars higher than what the Chinese government is reported.

use the link below to check how much it costs to build generating plants for now.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesconca/2012/07/08/the-direct-costs-of-energy-hydronuclear-best-solar-still-lagging/
Re: Electricity Supply Drops To 2,817.05MW - Federal Ministry Of Power by Whynotthetruth(m): 9:30pm On May 08, 2015
francizy:

My dear brother, I have to say the truth in this case. Jonathan failed in terms of power sector. He had a power minister that worked and got Nigerians enjoying power almost constant supply but had to let him resign because the cabals and generator importers were not happy. Prof Berth would have transformed the power sector for good if he had been there till now. He didn't stay for long and worked magic but resigned due to some pressure. When I see the truth, I will say.

That doesn't mean he didn't try in agricultural sector and railway sector which has been abandoned for decades.

Just like my moniker, I support you to live and say the truth always. But be sure that we live by the rules...

1)Power sector is a highly technical field to discuss...From my little knowledge, an average power plant takes about 36months(3years) to be designed and built provided there's no hiccup along the line...otherwise a longer time would be taken...

2)Barth performed NO magic. I was in contact with an official then. Rise in power generation was thanks to rise in water level during rainy season which coincidentally was when Barth was there, and this allowed for increased generation...not any magic by him bro...

3)There was a conflict of interest in his discharge of duty. If Jonathan didn't allow him to resign. Other companies that had their bid jeopardized by the presence of Barth and his company; Geometric energy would have destroyed the whole exercise with litigations. Check the resources and time to be lost in the process after which the case would be lost too due to the clear evidence of breach of terms and conditions by Barth in favour of his company...It's about the rules bro....

4)I desire constant and improved energy supply too...but its not a Jonathan thing...it takes all to be involved... People see these vandals and keep mute...People send these vandals to do these dirty job...These vandals are Nigerians too...Do we want Jonathan to do alone?...let's do our part bro...I pray APC buhari succeeds with this power wahala...thanks

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Electricity Supply Drops To 2,817.05MW - Federal Ministry Of Power by francizy(m): 9:39pm On May 08, 2015
Whynotthetruth:

Just like my moniker, I support you to live and say the truth always. But be sure that we live by the rules...

1)Power sector is a highly technical field to discuss...From my little knowledge, an average power plant takes about 36months(3years) to be designed and built provided there's no hiccup along the line...otherwise a longer time would be taken...

2)Barth performed NO magic. I was in contact with an official then. Rise in power generation was thanks to rise in water level during rainy season which coincidentally was when Barth was there, and this allowed for increased generation...not any magic by him bro...

3)There was a conflict of interest in his discharge of duty. If Jonathan didn't allow him to resign. Other companies that had their bid jeopardized by the presence of Barth and his company; Geometric energy would have destroyed the whole exercise with litigations. Check the resources and time to be lost in the process after which the case would be lost too due to the clear evidence of breach of terms and conditions by Barth in favour of his company...It's about the rules bro....

4)I desire constant and improved energy supply too...but its not a Jonathan thing...it takes all to be involved... People see these vandals and keep mute...People send these vandals to do these dirty job...These vandals are Nigerians too...Do we want Jonathan to do alone?...let's do our part bro...I pray APC buhari succeeds with this power wahala...thanks

But you will agree with me that before Berth took over, even in rainy seasons, we never in over 20 years or more experienced such level of power supply. It's shows he was a serious man. I don't care if his company bought all power plants in Nigeria, as long as he provided constant power, I care less. I love that man and his work. He's my role model. May God bless him..

That's what I pray for too..
Re: Electricity Supply Drops To 2,817.05MW - Federal Ministry Of Power by gists: 9:48pm On May 09, 2015
anyaekekehinde:

I like your argument, by the time i entered the power industry, that question kept on bothering my mind. its not the same price that power plants buy gas that flour mills and other companies using GT buys gas for captive power generation. The price that those companies buy gas is way way higher than the price that gas fired power stations buys gas, if the power plants buys gas at premium price, tariff will go very high ooo.
I have no idea of how much each party pay for gas. I have this unfortunate believe that we can't eat our cake and still have it. If we need constant (relatively) electricity, we're gonna have to cough out the cash for it. Electricity is not cheap in most part of the world.
Having said that, why should the IPPs pay higher rate for the gas? Isn't there a regulatory body to challenge this seeming anomaly? Gov. Fashola keep boasting that he has taken the street lights and general hospitals in Lagos off national grid. I am assuming he is generating electricity from turbines, is Lagos also paying the high rate for gas?
All this still point to my first submission - the problem is lack of political-will (caused by corruption) and not lack technical know-how or availability of equipment.
Re: Electricity Supply Drops To 2,817.05MW - Federal Ministry Of Power by Jskelly11: 4:57pm On May 11, 2015
EngrArthur:
When you buy MTN INTERNET data from us, you pay less while getting the same speed, same quality and same duration as the normal subscription.
Our MTN data plans has a validity period of ONE MONTH and works on all devices such as Android, BB10, iPhone, iPad, Windows Phone, Tablets, Modem etc.
1GB = #1,100 only.
2GB for N2,400 only.

If interested, kindly contact me - 08138985716
bloody scammer

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Www.eskimi.com – M.eskimi.com Download App / Solar System Planet Count Down With Pictures / London Used Phones And Tablets Price In Nigeria @ Kakacom Mobile World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.