Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,463 members, 7,830,315 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:37 PM

Inquisitive Young Minds - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Inquisitive Young Minds (2589 Views)

Wud U Add Ur Inquisitive Mum To Facebook Nd Other social Media / Wud You Add Your Troublesome Nd Inquisitive Mum To Facebook / TEENS CONNECT - Insights For Exceptional Young Minds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Inquisitive Young Minds by Twaci(f): 1:38pm On May 08, 2015
Children are always known to be fascinated with everything and inquisitive too. They want to know why everything happens; Why is the tongue wet? How was I born? Must I go to school?

Once, a little girl asked me why the sun was yellow not pink (mind u, this girl's favorite's colour is pink) and I just stared back at her with a goofy look. What was I supposed to say? grin. Anyways, I found a way to convince her that it is made in perfection of God's creation (I still don't think she understood it and can imagine her asking others the same questions).

What we should know is that sometimes these kids invent these questions to test our knowledge...and to push us out of our comfort zone. Anyways I am here to discuss ways we can handle their questions and they includes:

1. Be patient.
Don't wave them aside with an "I am busy" tone or "Go and ask your mother". Why not drop that notepad, shut down that lap-top, place them on your knee and listen carefully. It could be a matter of life and death (or not grin)

2. Don't joke with it.
Now when a child asks, "Mum, if you cook with sugar, will it be sweet?" What's the first thing that comes to mind? Laugh? Awww comeon! Don't make the little angel embarrassed smiley. Just smile and patiently answer their seemingly childish questions. And don't use it as a joke later on, it would stop them from asking again in the future.

3. Don't complicate ur answers.
Don't go all Hon. Patrick on them grin. Use simple words, words of their age. Something like, "Baby, ofcourse the food will be sweet! Is sugar not sweet?"

4. "Do you understand?".
Always remember to ask this question after every explanation. This will enable u know the depth of their understanding and will tell u if u need to go a little further.

These are all I have got. Kindly share your experiences with regards your angels and their questions and how u replied them. Let's learn from yours smiley

CC: Lalasticlala

14 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Inquisitive Young Minds by Nobody: 1:45pm On May 08, 2015
Nice write up twaci ... Thumbs up wink

3 Likes

Re: Inquisitive Young Minds by cutieberie1(f): 1:45pm On May 08, 2015
nice rite up
please vote twaci 4 miss nl
REMEMBER UR VOTE COUNTS

4 Likes

Re: Inquisitive Young Minds by JeffreyJamez(m): 1:45pm On May 08, 2015
but you know they can be annoying at times sha.....azzin very annoying....but patience is key!!.......i love kids ,cant wait to have my own *winks at somebody* grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Inquisitive Young Minds by Nobody: 1:47pm On May 08, 2015
JeffreyJamez:
but you know they can be annoying at times sha.....azzin very annoying....but patience is key!!.......i love kids ,cant wait to have my own *winks at somebody* grin grin

I love kids too grin just a bundle of joy
We just have to set firm boundaries. .. So they know whose the adult and They are children.
Re: Inquisitive Young Minds by Twaci(f): 1:48pm On May 08, 2015
Thanks dear smiley
Lala247:
Nice write up twaci ... Thumbs up wink

Hello cutie, thanks cheesy
cutieberie1:

nice rite up
please vote twaci 4 miss nl
REMEMBER UR VOTE COUNTS

1 Like

Re: Inquisitive Young Minds by ronald4lif(m): 1:50pm On May 08, 2015
Very educating. Parents should have one or two things to take home from this.

2 Likes

Re: Inquisitive Young Minds by tosyne2much(m): 1:51pm On May 08, 2015
Very insightful write-up
Please endeavour to vote for Twaci

2 Likes

Re: Inquisitive Young Minds by JeffreyJamez(m): 1:53pm On May 08, 2015
Lala247:

I love kids too grin just a bundle of joy
We just have to set firm boundaries. .. So they know whose the adult and They are children.

exactly...boundaries!.....unfortunately most parents dont set firm boundaries...and another thing about answering questions that kids ask is that they will take your answers as the real deal,so one has to be careful...as you can see in foreign lands some grown ups still believe in santa...who is to blame?
Re: Inquisitive Young Minds by Nobody: 1:54pm On May 08, 2015
JeffreyJamez:

exactly...boundaries!.....unfortunately most parents dont set firm boundaries...and another thing about answering questions that kids ask is that they will take your answers as the real deal,so one has to be careful...as you can see in foreign lands some grown ups still believe in santa...who is to blame?

Lol ohhh santa nah big deal hear oh u cant say his not real they will just break down n slip into depression lol grin grin yh kids here blive in all sorts mayb its a way to maintain their innocence in a way ..
Re: Inquisitive Young Minds by SleekyP(m): 1:55pm On May 08, 2015
brb angry
Re: Inquisitive Young Minds by Nobody: 1:55pm On May 08, 2015
ronald4lif:
Very educating. Parents should have one or two things to take home from this.
U on our team
Re: Inquisitive Young Minds by JeffreyJamez(m): 1:59pm On May 08, 2015
Lala247:

Lol ohhh santa nah big deal hear oh u cant say his not real they will just break down n slip into depression lol grin grin yh kids here blive in all sorts mayb its a way to maintain their innocence in a way ..

but african parents are still the bomb sha,especially Nigerian parents,as the country hard reach most of them still manage to raise smart and intelligient kids......i mean...look at me grin grin...look at aunty TWaci.. grin grin...look at you grin grin
Re: Inquisitive Young Minds by ronald4lif(m): 2:01pm On May 08, 2015
Lala247:

U on our team

Lala amebo no be work oo. You know I always associate with success nau. grin
Re: Inquisitive Young Minds by winetapper: 2:13pm On May 08, 2015
very nice train your kids the right way.. Wen they grow up they wount depart from It grin
Mama taught me that

1 Like

Re: Inquisitive Young Minds by Nobody: 2:19pm On May 08, 2015
hmmmmm. . .
Re: Inquisitive Young Minds by Nobody: 2:20pm On May 08, 2015
ronald4lif:

Lala amebo no be work oo. You know I always associate with success nau. grin

Lol ok ur supporting both thats good
Re: Inquisitive Young Minds by Nobody: 2:21pm On May 08, 2015
JeffreyJamez:

but african parents are still the bomb sha,especially Nigerian parents,as the country hard reach most of them still manage to raise smart and intelligient kids......i mean...look at me grin grin...look at aunty TWaci.. grin grin...look at you grin grin

Im telling u .. No matter how bad the child is there is still underline values if raised by nigerian parents lol ...

1 Like

Re: Inquisitive Young Minds by Nobody: 3:19pm On May 08, 2015
These make me remember how great my mum is...

1 Like

Re: Inquisitive Young Minds by JeffreyJamez(m): 3:32pm On May 08, 2015
Lala247:

Im telling u .. No matter how bad the child is there is still underline values if raised by nigerian parents lol ...

But some 9ja parents harsh gan o lol

1 Like

Re: Inquisitive Young Minds by Twaci(f): 3:50pm On May 08, 2015
Thugnificient:
These make me remember how great my mum is...
Awww! We should cherish them.

Also want to holla at ma e-friend; Lamispaco. Thanks for the mention smiley
Re: Inquisitive Young Minds by misspicy(f): 4:31pm On May 08, 2015
ma 5yr old niece once asked me wat toasting(wooing) means,i couldnt ansa her,i wondered were she got dat frm,tnx fr dis info Twaci,u af ma vote

1 Like

Re: Inquisitive Young Minds by Twaci(f): 4:40pm On May 08, 2015
misspicy:
ma 5yr old niece once asked me wat toasting(wooing) means,i couldnt ansa her,i wondered were she got dat frm,tnx fr dis info Twaci,u af ma vote
Thanks dear smiley
Re: Inquisitive Young Minds by kinglekan: 4:20am On May 09, 2015
misspicy:

She is a darling isn't she smiley
Re: Inquisitive Young Minds by kinglekan: 4:45am On May 09, 2015
@Twaci this your counselling skills ehnn!! Must be divine. wink

Really nice post. What really got to me was num 2. "Don't joke with it". How true.

Kids are so innocent and when we keep joking and laughing at them, we only make them withdrawn. Parents need to read this write up.

Nice one swti smiley

1 Like

Re: Inquisitive Young Minds by misspicy(f): 8:03am On May 09, 2015
kinglekan:

She is a darling isn't she smiley
shez d darliest darling af eva seen

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Inquisitive Young Minds by Nobody: 3:39pm On May 09, 2015
Please Twaci when done, Just come let's get married and live happily ever after.... yours in Christ: Freeman David

2 Likes

Re: Inquisitive Young Minds by AbuMikey(m): 6:15pm On May 09, 2015
Nice Thread?
Check!

1 Like

Re: Inquisitive Young Minds by scentmarlc(m): 9:03pm On May 11, 2015
TWACI.....i will vote for you. But in one sentence: Why do you want to be miss nairaland?

1 Like

Re: Inquisitive Young Minds by Twaci(f): 4:30pm On May 12, 2015
scentmarlc:
TWACI.....i will vote for you. But in one sentence: Why do you want to be miss nairaland?
Hey, am really sorry for creating a different impression. More than ever I value all that u guys are doing out there, what u are doing out there.

Please don't take it all in a wrong way, ok?
Re: Inquisitive Young Minds by Booyakasha(f): 4:53pm On May 12, 2015
Twaci:
Hey, am really sorry for creating a different impression. More than ever I value all that u guys are doing out there, what u are doing out there.

Please don't take it all in a wrong way, ok?

You didn't answer his question anyway. goodluck with winning...

1 Like

Re: Inquisitive Young Minds by ojaydedon(m): 6:57am On May 13, 2015
Twaci:
Children are always known to be fascinated with everything and inquisitive too. They want to know why everything happens; Why is the tongue wet? How was I born? Must I go to school?

Once, a little girl asked me why the sun was yellow not pink (mind u, this girl's favorite's colour is pink) and I just stared back at her with a goofy look. What was I supposed to say? grin. Anyways, I found a way to convince her that it is made in perfection of God's creation (I still don't think she understood it and can imagine her asking others the same questions).

What we should know is that sometimes these kids invent these questions to test our knowledge...and to push us out of our comfort zone. Anyways I am here to discuss ways we can handle their questions and they includes:

1. Be patient.
Don't wave them aside with an "I am busy" tone or "Go and ask your mother". Why not drop that notepad, shut down that lap-top, place them on your knee and listen carefully. It could be a matter of life and death (or not grin)

2. Don't joke with it.
Now when a child asks, "Mum, if you cook with sugar, will it be sweet?" What's the first thing that comes to mind? Laugh? Awww comeon! Don't make the little angel embarrassed smiley. Just smile and patiently answer their seemingly childish questions. And don't use it as a joke later on, it would stop them from asking again in the future.

3. Don't complicate ur answers.
Don't go all Hon. Patrick on them grin. Use simple words, words of their age. Something like, "Baby, ofcourse the food will be sweet! Is sugar not sweet?"

4. "Do you understand?".
Always remember to ask this question after every explanation. This will enable u know the depth of their understanding and will tell u if u need to go a little further.

These are all I have got. Kindly share your experiences with regards your angels and their questions and how u replied them. Let's learn from yours smiley

CC: Lalasticlala

when is the date for voting...

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Are The Things Never To Say To A Depressed Person? / Should I Give Her An Engagement Ring? / My Elder Brother Decide To Keep Mute.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.