Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,306 members, 7,826,212 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:15 AM

Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? - Computers (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? (16389 Views)

Expensive Sennheiser's HE-1 - £54,000- (₦26460000) Headphone / Sunstone Creates First Solar-powered IP Systems / Best Hacking Operating Systems /os (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by Fulaman198(m): 8:23am On May 29, 2015
BeloHorizonte14:
so please guys,can i get a system with these specs;
Nvidia GTX 980
24/32gb RAM
core i7 4940MQ
15.6''/17.3''(i love big screen though)
Quadro 4K/5K(pixel should be above 1080p).

And where in Nigeria can i get it (tried Konga and Jumia; all i kept seeing online were Hp envy and Dell inspiron)?

Thanks

You must be rich or something

Most powerful gaming laptop: MSI GT80 Titan has similar specs, and the Razer Blade/Blade Pro

Cheapest but best Value gaming laptop: Lenovo Y50
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by BeloHorizonte14: 9:57am On May 29, 2015
Fulaman198:

You must be rich or something

Most powerful gaming laptop: MSI GT80 Titan has similar specs, and the Razer Blade/Blade Pro

Cheapest but best Value gaming laptop: Lenovo Y50
From what i have learnt so far? No bros,i wash my hands off gaming laptops.

I need a workstation.

In addition to the specs i wrote earlier,i would love;
2.5ghz to 2.8ghz CPU,
a 512gb SSD/1TB HDD/SATA
a good battery life
durability.

Thanks.
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by LordReed(m): 11:09am On May 29, 2015
BeloHorizonte14:
Nvidia GTX 980
24/32gb RAM
core i7 4940MQ

And where in Nigeria can i get it (tried Konga and Jumia; all i kept seeing online were Hp envy and Dell inspiron)?

Thanks

Those are the popular brands in Nigeria. You might need to go store shopping to see if you'll see some more options. Or shop on Amazon, Newegg or EBay.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by BeloHorizonte14: 11:32am On May 29, 2015
LordReed:

Those are the popular brands in Nigeria. You might need to go store shopping to see if you'll see some more options. Or shop on Amazon, Newegg or EBay.
Do you know of any particular workstation that has major or all of the above specs (so as to ease my store/online shopping)?

Thanks.
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by Fulaman198(m): 5:15pm On May 29, 2015
BeloHorizonte14:
From what i have learnt so far? No bros,i wash my hands off gaming laptops.

I need a workstation.

In addition to the specs i wrote earlier,i would love;
2.5ghz to 2.8ghz CPU,
a 512gb SSD/1TB HDD/SATA
a good battery life
durability.

Thanks.

Well my Lenovo Thinkpad W541, Dell Inspiron M4800, HP Zbook 15/17, Toshiba Tecra W50. Those are the ones I know off by heart. You can always add your own RAM and SSD on your own. That's what I did.
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by dazekid(m): 5:31pm On May 29, 2015
BeloHorizonte14:
Nvidia GTX 980
24/32gb RAM
core i7 4940MQ

Thanks

Hmmmm, with that GPU ticked, you'd better be looking at desktops as that is a very large GPU.
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by Fulaman198(m): 6:12pm On May 29, 2015
dazekid:

Hmmmm, with that GPU ticked, you'd better be looking at desktops as that is a very large GPU.

I think he meant M series of that GPU. In any case that GPY is only found on gaming laptops. Workstations use different GPUs.
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by baba11(m): 6:32pm On May 29, 2015
Fulaman198:

Well my Lenovo Thinkpad W541, Dell Inspiron M4800, HP Zbook 15/17, Toshiba Tecra W50. Those are the ones I know off by heart. You can always add your own RAM and SSD on your own. That's what I did.
Is this a tablet?
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by Fulaman198(m): 7:50pm On May 29, 2015
baba11:

Is this a tablet?

No bros, these are mobile workstations (powerhouse laptops for engineers, CAD designers, movie makers, graphics designers, etc.)
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by baba11(m): 6:22am On May 30, 2015
Fulaman198:

No bros, these are mobile workstations (powerhouse laptops for engineers, CAD designers, movie makers, graphics designers, etc.)
how much is it sold now bros?
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by Fulaman198(m): 6:25am On May 30, 2015
baba11:

how much is it sold now bros?

Most likely over 250K
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by baba11(m): 6:28am On May 30, 2015
Fulaman198:

Most likely over 250K
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by ewa20buredi100: 6:09pm On Oct 29, 2015
Fulaman198:

Most likely over 250K
sir, what is your take on getting a refurbished workstation laptop?
Is it advisable?
Thank you
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by Fulaman198(m): 7:20pm On Oct 29, 2015
ewa20buredi100:

sir, what is your take on getting a refurbished workstation laptop?

Is it advisable?

Thank you

There is nothing wrong with a refurbished workstation laptop as long as it was repaired/fixed properly. Do you know which model you are thinking of getting?
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by ewa20buredi100: 11:02pm On Oct 29, 2015
Fulaman198:

There is nothing wrong with a refurbished workstation laptop as long as it was repaired/fixed properly. Do you know which model you are thinking of getting?

Not really sir.

Stuck between Hp 17/Dell precision M6800 and Lenovo W550s/HP zbook 15.
I would really appreciate it if you could recommend other model that is trusted.

Only reason i haven't been decisive yet is cos i don't know their gaming capabilities or video quality (for movies) should incase i want to relax or cool off after the day's stress.

Please, if there is nothing wrong with refurbished workstations, how come they are less expensive than the new ones?

Secondly, i read that Nvidia GTX 980 graphics card is too big for a laptop, hence it is usually found on desktop workstations.

My question now is,'which is the best and most effective Nvidia graphics card a workstation laptop can have and which is the smallest/minimum graphics card one must go for when shopping for a workstation laptop as well?

Thank you.
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by Fulaman198(m): 2:04am On Oct 30, 2015
ewa20buredi100:

Not really sir.

Stuck between Hp 17/Dell precision M6800 and Lenovo W550s/HP zbook 15.
I would really appreciate it if you could recommend other model that is trusted.

Only reason i haven't been decisive yet is cos i don't know their gaming capabilities or video quality (for movies) should incase i want to relax or cool off after the day's stress.

Please, if there is nothing wrong with refurbished workstations, how come they are less expensive than the new ones?

Secondly, i read that Nvidia GTX 980 graphics card is too big for a laptop, hence it is usually found on desktop workstations.

My question now is,'which is the best and most effective Nvidia graphics card a workstation laptop can have and which is the smallest/minimum graphics card one must go for when shopping for a workstation laptop as well?

Thank you.

Well that's not the case any more. There are two variations of the GTX 980. The GTX980M and the GTX980 for desktops.

There are laptops now that can accommodate full sized GTX980 desktop modules (see article here: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/introducing-the-geforce-gtx-980-notebooks). The most impressive laptop is the MSi GT80 with a skylake processor and 2 GTX980 desktops in SLI configuration. Of course, these laptops have extra cooling to compensate for the power yielded by these gpus. The GTX980 is about 25% more powerful than the GTX980M found on other powerful gaming laptops.

To be honest, most people don't need the gaming power yielded by the GTX 980. Unless if you plan on planning today's latest games at 1080p on ultra settings. For desktops, most people will be fine with a GTX 950/960. They are very good midrange cards. A GTX970 can handle most of today's games at high settings.

To answer your question, the best graphics card on a laptop is the desktop variant of the GTX 980 (but in an MXM module). The second best is the GTX980M.

The best desktop graphics card is the Titan X, but it only gives you about 3 - 7% of a performance difference over the GTX 980Ti.
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by ewa20buredi100: 6:43pm On Oct 30, 2015
Fulaman198:

Well that's not the case any more. There are two variations of the GTX 980. The GTX980M and the GTX980 for desktops.

There are laptops now that can accommodate full sized GTX980 desktop modules (see article here: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/introducing-the-geforce-gtx-980-notebooks). The most impressive laptop is the MSi GT80 with a skylake processor and 2 GTX980 desktops in SLI configuration. Of course, these laptops have extra cooling to compensate for the power yielded by these gpus. The GTX980 is about 25% more powerful than the GTX980M found on other powerful gaming laptops.

To be honest, most people don't need the gaming power yielded by the GTX 980. Unless if you plan on planning today's latest games at 1080p on ultra settings. For desktops, most people will be fine with a GTX 950/960. They are very good midrange cards. A GTX970 can handle most of today's games at high settings.

To answer your question, the best graphics card on a laptop is the desktop variant of the GTX 980 (but in an MXM module). The second best is the GTX980M.

The best desktop graphics card is the Titan X, but it only gives you about 3 - 7% of a performance difference over the GTX 980Ti.

Thank you for the succint explanation sir.

But is MSI gtx98m more of a gaming laptop than a workstation?

I am in need of a laptop that is 75 to 80 per cent workstation with 15 to 20 per cent gaming ability.
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by Fulaman198(m): 2:15am On Oct 31, 2015
ewa20buredi100:

Thank you for the succint explanation sir.

But is MSI gtx98m more of a gaming laptop than a workstation?

I am in need of a laptop that is 75 to 80 per cent workstation with 15 to 20 per cent gaming ability.

It would be able to do workstation kind of work easily but it's mainly meant for gaming. A GTX980M will outperform an Nvidia quadro K2100m for workstation kind of work.
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by ewa20buredi100: 8:23am On Oct 31, 2015
Fulaman198:

It would be able to do workstation kind of work easily but it's mainly meant for gaming. A GTX980M will outperform an Nvidia quadro K2100m for workstation kind of work.

Thank you sir.
Good morning, how was your night?
Hope you slept well?

I have heard of workstations with K5100/K6100 Nvidia quadro. Do these kind of workstations outperform GTX980M Nvidia quadro?

Secondly, i read that most companies use Hp/Lenovo/Dell precision series for the engineering, networking/programming or simulation designs and not MSI or the likes of GTX980M.
Please why is this?
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by Fulaman198(m): 10:05am On Oct 31, 2015
ewa20buredi100:

Thank you sir.
Good morning, how was your night?
Hope you slept well?

I have heard of workstations with K5100/K6100 Nvidia quadro. Do these kind of workstations outperform GTX980M Nvidia quadro?

Secondly, i read that most companies use Hp/Lenovo/Dell precision series for the engineering, networking/programming or simulation designs and not MSI or the likes of GTX980M.
Please why is this?

Good morning dear friend, I did sleep well, I hope the same for you.

MSi has extremely poor technical support and customer service. The latter that you mentioned earlier have far better customer support and will go the extra lap needed in order to make sure their customers are happy in case something is to happen to their system.

In regards to CAD, engineering models and 3D programmes, yes! The K5100 and K6100 are better than the GTX 980M (though you will still be fine for most things).

In regards to gaming those quadro GPUs do perform well, however a high-end GeForce GTX970/980 will outperform them in gaming.
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by ewa20buredi100: 5:20pm On Oct 31, 2015
Fulaman198:

Good morning dear friend, I did sleep well, I hope the same for you.

MSi has extremely poor technical support and customer service. The latter that you mentioned earlier have far better customer support and will go the extra lap needed in order to make sure their customers are happy in case something is to happen to their system.

In regards to CAD, engineering models and 3D programmes, yes! The K5100 and K6100 are better than the GTX 980M (though you will still be fine for most things).

In regards to gaming those quadro GPUs do perform well, however a high-end GeForce GTX970/980 will outperform them in gaming.

Yes i did sir, thank you.

So on this note, which of the workstations(only laptops) would you recommend i get, with this specs;
K4100 or K5100 (since i can still play fifa or PES with them)
16gb Ram
core i7, 4th generation
ssd.

Thank you sir
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by Fulaman198(m): 6:16pm On Oct 31, 2015
ewa20buredi100:

Yes i did sir, thank you.

So on this note, which of the workstations(only laptops) would you recommend i get, with this specs;
K4100 or K5100 (since i can still play fifa or PES with them)
16gb Ram
core i7, 4th generation
ssd.

Thank you sir

PES and FIFA are not graphically demanding games like FPS (First Person Shooting games). Most modern computers could handle those games on lower graphical settings if they only have integrated graphics options.

However, if you want a laptop with that GPU, here are some I know by heart: keep in mind that this is in the western world and it would be extremely difficult to possibly get these machines here in Nigeria.

http://us.msi.com/product/workstation/WT72-Workstation-Intel-Xeon-.html#hero-specification

Or other MSi products: http://us.msi.com/product/workstation/

Or if you like Dell like many Nigerians do: http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/precision-laptops
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by ewa20buredi100: 2:03pm On Nov 02, 2015
Fulaman198:

PES and FIFA are not graphically demanding games like FPS (First Person Shooting games). Most modern computers could handle those games on lower graphical settings if they only have integrated graphics options.

However, if you want a laptop with that GPU, here are some I know by heart: keep in mind that this is in the western world and it would be extremely difficult to possibly get these machines here in Nigeria.

http://us.msi.com/product/workstation/WT72-Workstation-Intel-Xeon-.html#hero-specification

Or other MSi products: http://us.msi.com/product/workstation/

Or if you like Dell like many Nigerians do: http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/precision-laptops

Thank you sir.

I had to take time to go throught the links cos i couldn't relate with most of the specs info i saw except for the GPUs and CPUs.

In the two MSI WT72 models i read, i saw GPUs of M5000M and M4000M as opposed to the K4100 and K5100 i was expcecting.
Is there any difference between these GPUs in terms of workstation requirements?

Secondly, one of the WT72 model has a CPU of Intel Xenon, while the other model has an Intel i7-6th generation.
Is there any difference between these two different CPUs as regards workstation functionality?

As for the Dell precision series, i could relate with most the specs.

Thank you.
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by Fulaman198(m): 5:57am On Nov 03, 2015
ewa20buredi100:

Thank you sir.

I had to take time to go throught the links cos i couldn't relate with most of the specs info i saw except for the GPUs and CPUs.

In the two MSI WT72 models i read, i saw GPUs of M5000M and M4000M as opposed to the K4100 and K5100 i was expcecting.
Is there any difference between these GPUs in terms of workstation requirements?

Secondly, one of the WT72 model has a CPU of Intel Xenon, while the other model has an Intel i7-6th generation.
Is there any difference between these two different CPUs as regards workstation functionality?

As for the Dell precision series, i could relate with most the specs.

Thank you.

Greetings, there are some performance differences and typically speaking, Intel Xeon is better than Intel Core i7. Intel Xeon processors are often used for extremely heavy tasks like processing huge data sets. If you know the specific model of the INtel Xeon, you could do a benchmark comparison between the core i7 model (there are websites for that smiley ).

In regards to the M5000M it's a mobile variant of the K5000 series. It performs about 20% less, but it's very high-end.
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by ewa20buredi100: 9:11pm On Nov 06, 2015
Fulaman198:

Greetings, there are some performance differences and typically speaking, Intel Xeon is better than Intel Core i7. Intel Xeon processors are often used for extremely heavy tasks like processing huge data sets. If you know the specific model of the INtel Xeon, you could do a benchmark comparison between the core i7 model (there are websites for that smiley ).

In regards to the M5000M it's a mobile variant of the K5000 series. It performs about 20% less, but it's very high-end.

Thank you

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Game Shop In Nigeria Lekki Official Website / Is Desmond Ewomazino A Scammer? / Is Yahoo Mail Down? (Temporary Error 1)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.