Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,474 members, 7,819,730 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:53 PM

CISCO Thread: CISCO Professionals Identify Yourselves - Computers (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / CISCO Thread: CISCO Professionals Identify Yourselves (45959 Views)

Identify Fake Profiles On Facebook Using Google Image Search / Cisco Guru Help! Cant Connect To Internet Via Cisco 2800 & Idirect X3 / How to identify a fake(china) HP Laptop? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CISCO Thread: CISCO Professionals Identify Yourselves by nateevs(m): 11:11pm On Mar 09, 2009
@Visitor.

Sorry I haven't replied in a while I have been away. I'm so glad to know you got your Dynamips working. We are waiting on you to share your experience with us.

Thanks.

@Nicesoul.

Please let us know exactly what you will want to do with Dynamips and where you are having problems. That will be the only way to solve any problem you are facing.

Re: CISCO Thread: CISCO Professionals Identify Yourselves by papae: 10:34am On Mar 10, 2009
what a nice thread. but the original purpose is not being actualised . i thougth i will read people asking and people answering. anyway can somebody help me tell me the diffference between ethernet0/0 and ethernet1/0 interfaces. am new into this cisco thing
Re: CISCO Thread: CISCO Professionals Identify Yourselves by qutebloke1(m): 10:56am On Mar 10, 2009
Nice thread you got started here nateevs, I pray it acheives its goal.
I just started my CCNA self study and i've bn wondering where i'll be able to get added support and advice if and when i do run into a brick wall, nice to know i can find that place in this thread!
hve bn tryin to dwnload ur videos but my connection is crappy and rapidshare does not support download accelerators or resumption of downloads for free users, so i was wondering if you could upload ur links and subsequent ones on fileden, its also free but supports download accelerators. i'd be really grateful if you could consider this humble request.
once again thanks for this innovation.

@Papae those are just ports on your switches to plug your hosts into, used for lan connectivity, they basically do the same thing, and are totally interchangeable.
Re: CISCO Thread: CISCO Professionals Identify Yourselves by nateevs(m): 4:36pm On Mar 10, 2009
@Papae.

This thread does not belong to a single person. . You ideas are welcome . . . Please tell us how you think we can fulfill the goals. . . Also bear in mind that your goal might not be others' goal . . .

The 1/0 or 0/0 is a Cisco convention for naming router interfaces. On older Routers like the C2500 the interfaces are fixed hence you have only ports and the ports are called 0. So if you have one Serial interface on a C2500 it will be named S0. . . If you have two, then S0 and S1. You will also find the same naming convention in C800s. Where you have E0, E1 or FE1 or FE2. (Although the C800s' are not layer 3 interfaces).

In S1/0 for example, it becomes Modular and the naming convention used on newer and fairly newer Routers. . Which means the interface reside on a module. The modules are removable, hence the can be replaced or upgraded. . The modules slide into slots. .  The slots are named from right to left. With the right being Slot 0 and if there is a left module then Slot 1. You find this on 2600s, 3600s and so on.

So with S1/0 for instance, the 1 represents slot and the 0 is the port. So what you have here is a Serial Interface Port 0, on a network module, in slot 1. . . . . The twist on it however is some Network modules also have slots.

For instance, you could see something like NM-2E2W. . . It means network Module with 2 Ethernet ports and 2WIC slots. (WIC means WAN Interface Cards).

Don't get it twisted now, the original Slot we were talking about all along is on the Router Chasis itself, this one I just referenced is a slot on the network module. . . So an NM-2FE2W means a network module - in either slot 0 or slot 1 - with 2 Fast Ethernet ports and 2W (WIC) slots. Notice I wrote slots instead of ports. . . in this case the slots on the module are removable but they don't affect the naming standard. Just for your knowledge.

It is nice to know these things as you will need them when working with dynamips.

You might decide for example to have a 3640 router named "Headquarters ABUJA" in a hub and spoke WAN-like connection with Barnch routers Lagos, PortHarcourt and Warri and the ABUJA router having two ethernet segments behind it. You want to be sure you are choosing the right network module so in your .net file in dynamips, you reference the router in this manner.

(Please refer to attached document for network diagram)

[[3640]]

[[Router  R1]]

slot 0 = NM - 4T
slot 1 = NM - 2FE

That is four Sync-Serial network ports for the WAN to three branch routers in Slot 0 and 2 Fast Ethernet ports for the networks segments behind the ABUJA router in[b] Slot 1.[/b]
So when you do a "show ip interface brief" command on your router, what you will see is

Serial 0/0
Serial 0/1
Serial 0/2
Serial 0/3
Fast Ethernet 1/0
Fast Ethernet 1/1.

I hope this is informative for you. . . Any questions, please post on the thread.

Thanks.

Re: CISCO Thread: CISCO Professionals Identify Yourselves by nateevs(m): 5:55pm On Mar 10, 2009
@Qutebloke.

I tried to upload the files unto fileden but the file type is disallowed. The file extension is .exe. . . . I am researching into other ways I can make videos so I can save in generic files types. Accessibility is essence of the videos anyway.
Until then, can you please try to get better bandwidth to download from and get going?

Re: CISCO Thread: CISCO Professionals Identify Yourselves by qutebloke1(m): 6:20pm On Mar 10, 2009
Does anyone has or know where i can get CBT nugget videos for ICND1 or CCNA tutorials?
any help would be highly appreciated.

@nateevs
thanks i've been able to download d 1st video. i'm trying to download an ios so i can get started. do you recommend the use of dumps for preparation of exams?
Re: CISCO Thread: CISCO Professionals Identify Yourselves by nateevs(m): 11:08pm On Mar 10, 2009
@QuteBloke.

Great!. . Hope you get started soon. .

I am not a fan of dumps to be honest. Dumps are the last things I use before an exam. I want to go through the questions and provide answers becos I have done them with my hands not becos I have seen the questions before. I only use them to be sharp. You can't ignore dumps if you are really serious about passing the exam though. . . at the same time you can't depend solely on it.
Re: CISCO Thread: CISCO Professionals Identify Yourselves by visitor30(m): 10:50am On Mar 11, 2009
@nateevs,
thanks 4 ur posts. i've net had time to do any configuration since then. had some task at work to perform. we wer asked by our MD to block internet access too all other staff except the managers. so wer working on that task.

@qutebloke.
as for the trainin video u can use torrentz to search for it and then use utorrent to download the file. wen u search with torrentz, it will give u different sites to get it, go to thepiratesbay to get the file, but be sure ur internet connection is fast.

@house,
we all can share in this forum as its not meant for just d initiator of the thread. we can share watever experiences or knowledge we have on cisco devices. i wish all of us a blessed day and will post ma experience leta.
Re: CISCO Thread: CISCO Professionals Identify Yourselves by soulamanne(m): 11:53am On Mar 11, 2009
this thread is a bomb!it is like a dream come true.i am just startin to trake my networkin career more seriously cos unlike programmin it is something physical and easy to understand.it has real life analogies and that is why i easily undastand it and love it too.

ok am takin my CCNA trainin and will take my exam very soon.i still ve probs with config esp the commands(thats cos it is like programmin.now u see what i mean!).am goin to repeat the class agaimn thou.i work in a purely ideginous networkin coy (more like learnin than earnin lol).it is still growin.they do fiber optics stuff too so i actually see all these stuffs so it helps my readin.i now know how fiber interfaces cisco gears.there is a cert called CFOT(cert fiber optics tech).it is abt fiber optics so am gonna take that too.

now that i know this thread i shall visit evey time and ask senior colleague in network engineerin questns and am sure ans will come.pls never estitate to help me out with materials dumps etc cos afta my ccna i wanna get hands on then go futher the ladder of networki!

@nateev
u are such a good guy willin to help pple.ok u are in the UK.a guy skywalker posted on the career thread that with his work exp and ccna he got admitted in a UK university to do masters in computer networkin.i plan takin this ROUTE.what is more interstin is that he wasnt asked to do a PGD(he grad with a low grade)just his CCNA and work exp.so i want to know how possible this is as i ve a 3yr plan to take this path.pls kindly let me know which school in the UK will offer this.

pls dont mind my long thread.ASK AND YE SHALL KNOW.and i plan to learn more by askin.thanx bro
Re: CISCO Thread: CISCO Professionals Identify Yourselves by qutebloke1(m): 3:04pm On Mar 11, 2009
@Nateevs
About the fileden drawback of not being able to upload .exe files, i think you can get around that by zippinng the file b4 uploading it. I dont mean to be a bother but just incase you or anyone else has something to share with others, i think it would be better using this than rapidshare.please consider this suggestion. thanks.

@visitor
Thanks for the tip, but like i said my connection is crappy!
Re: CISCO Thread: CISCO Professionals Identify Yourselves by nateevs(m): 5:13pm On Mar 11, 2009
@QuteBloke.

What was I thinking about? Of course I had to compress it. . I have uploaded it unto fileden and you and everyone can download the videos from here.

[url=http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/3/10/2357735/Nairaland%20Video.rar]Video1[/url] 
[url=http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/3/10/2357735/Nairaland%20Video2.rar]Video2[/url]

Re: CISCO Thread: CISCO Professionals Identify Yourselves by visitor30(m): 5:55pm On Mar 11, 2009
@qutebloke,
am sorry about that, didn't see that part wer u mentioned dat your internet connection is crappy.
Re: CISCO Thread: CISCO Professionals Identify Yourselves by Isuata: 3:13pm On Mar 12, 2009
hi all
p;ls i nd to understand ow to work dynamips with my vmware to have a really full experience. anybody !!!!!!!
Re: CISCO Thread: CISCO Professionals Identify Yourselves by mcbaba: 9:12am On Mar 13, 2009
Nice thread guys,please I want to know the best place in Lagos for cisco training(I mean real hands-on training).I am not after certifications alone, I really want to know this stuff practically.Thanks
Re: CISCO Thread: CISCO Professionals Identify Yourselves by babyboy2(m): 12:57pm On Mar 13, 2009
Hey house. I am trying to configure ipv6 on a simulated network I built using bosons. Bosons 6 did not have ipv6 capacities, so i upgraded to Bosons 7. Then I was able to configure 1pv6 add on the routers but I can't on the PCs, I know the simulator reads that it is a win98, but I still think there is a command I am missing. I have tried the traditional ipv6 install and ipv6 if, no luck there either. Any ideas?
Re: CISCO Thread: CISCO Professionals Identify Yourselves by nateevs(m): 1:19pm On Mar 13, 2009
@Babayboy & McBaba.

If you read the thread from page 1, believe me your problems will be solved by now. That's what the thread is for.
Re: CISCO Thread: CISCO Professionals Identify Yourselves by 9ja4u(m): 2:09pm On Mar 13, 2009
Better still go to this site http://www.gns3.net/ GNS3 is a graphical network simulator that allows simulation of complex networks it incorporates.
Dynamips, the core program that allows Cisco IOS emulation.
Dynagen a text-based front-end for Dynamips.
Pemu a Cisco PIX firewall emulator based on Qemu.

http://7200emu.hacki.at/index.php This a forum dedicated to Dynamips

http://www.freecode.com.cn/doku.php?id=wiki:vpcs this is a Virtual PC Simulator that would emulate your pc.

A guy just passed his CCIE certification LAB in my office OFF Bourdillon by using just this simulator.He took the Mobile lab exam yesterday in Lagos. we are celebrating with him.Would post some more later.

If your comfortable with Linux run this stuff on it (UBUNTU that is what i am using) you can load up to 12 routers on core 2 duo with 4gig of memory. XP has a restriction on memory allocation,while vista might use up 2 gig of memory leaving the rest for Dynamips. Have tried it on d above OS. Linux is d way to go if ur comfortable with it.
This is a screen shot.

Re: CISCO Thread: CISCO Professionals Identify Yourselves by brianromel(m): 2:17pm On Mar 13, 2009
I got to to ask this,is everything about cisco or IT in general in this country,about exams and dumps and simulations.
Don't you guys ever go out to develop newer areas in cisco or tell the firm what their machines need to do and how you think you can make it do it,or write a new configuration code ,or try to actual check the security system of other cisco routers around the world and tell cisco how and why you could crack into them.
Or is it just our culture here to just read to write exams and wear a shiny barge that says certified.But can't do nothing to add to the system,and be remembered for it.
Re: CISCO Thread: CISCO Professionals Identify Yourselves by brianromel(m): 2:17pm On Mar 13, 2009
I got to to ask this,is everything about cisco or IT in general in this country,about exams and dumps and simulations.
Don't you guys ever go out to develop newer areas in cisco or tell the firm what their machines need to do and how you think you can make it do it,or write a new configuration code ,or try to actual check the security system of other cisco routers around the world and tell cisco how and why you could crack into them.
Or is it just our culture here to just read to write exams and wear a shiny barge that says certified.But can't do nothing to add to the system,and be remembered for it.
Re: CISCO Thread: CISCO Professionals Identify Yourselves by babyboy2(m): 5:36pm On Mar 13, 2009
@ nateevs,
Cheers mate.
Re: CISCO Thread: CISCO Professionals Identify Yourselves by Isuata: 6:55pm On Mar 13, 2009
brian
becos we need to start from somewia wia we still can compete in the real world
Re: CISCO Thread: CISCO Professionals Identify Yourselves by qutebloke1(m): 11:03pm On Mar 13, 2009
@brian
I quite agree with Isu. How do you do all those things you mentioned without knowing the basics or the foundation if you will. If you read this thread from the begining you would quickly realise that most if not everyone is against just getting certified without being able to deliver the goods, and that is why some of us are even bothering with dynamips which is reputed to deliver the real feel for those of us who dont have access to the real thing. and seriously if you cant even configure the real thing how will you be able to do all those things you said.
Re: CISCO Thread: CISCO Professionals Identify Yourselves by nateevs(m): 11:51pm On Mar 13, 2009
@Brianromel

Maybe it'l be a good idea like qutebloke and Isu have said to read from page one.
Re: CISCO Thread: CISCO Professionals Identify Yourselves by qutebloke1(m): 6:42am On Mar 14, 2009
@9ja4u
Does VPCS simulator have a GUI, or does it only work from cmd?

@House
Is there anyway to practice with SDM through any simulator/emulator?
Re: CISCO Thread: CISCO Professionals Identify Yourselves by 9ja4u(m): 1:18pm On Mar 14, 2009
qute_bloke:

@9ja4u
Does VPCS simulator have a GUI, or does it only work from cmd?

@House
Is there anyway to practice with SDM through any simulator/emulator?

It is only CMD what do u need GUI for.The simulated pc is just to enable you carry out your ping and trace route  etc.

Search the Dynamips forum you will see a guide on how to run  and interconnect the SDM to the simulator/emulator.
Re: CISCO Thread: CISCO Professionals Identify Yourselves by nateevs(m): 6:25pm On Mar 14, 2009
@9ja4u

Can u really take the CCIE lab exam in Lagos? . . . . Is that true?

I run Dynamips on Vista M/C with a Quad-core processor and 3gig RAM . . . Last time I tried, I run 15 routers simultaneously with only 46% CPU utilization. Only problem I had was that I had to increase memory allocation to some of my routers in Dynamips when running BGP. I typically like to use ram=96 on my routers but it isn't just enough to run BGP.

Vista will do fine and I also run 6 routers on an XP with Duo Core and 2 gig ram. I bridge both pcs with a live Switch and I able to run 21 or 22 routers and the same time.
Re: CISCO Thread: CISCO Professionals Identify Yourselves by qutebloke1(m): 10:07am On Mar 15, 2009
I've finally gotten a place to download SDM 2.5, but its on rapidshare embarassed
PLEASE anybody who has a good bandwidth should upload it on fileden for easier access. would really appreciate this.
this is the RS link. http://rapidshare.com/files/145355531/S-_-D-_-M-_-2.5.7z

If anyone needs the fileden llink to 2600 router IOS let me know.
Re: CISCO Thread: CISCO Professionals Identify Yourselves by Isuata: 3:38pm On Mar 15, 2009
@qute, nateev and all

i've got dynamips, dynagen and even gns3 (all still zipped though) and also i ve got vmware-server dat i use for my virtual servers and machines. i know its possible to run all of em togeda-i nid detailed guide to do dis and i beliv dat will help alot of pple too (text based detailed step by step guide-no videos)

sadikhov is too scattered and i dnt hav the time to piece em togeda.
Re: CISCO Thread: CISCO Professionals Identify Yourselves by mcbaba: 6:42pm On Mar 15, 2009
@nateevs Please what is your best advice on how to go about learning cisco for someone just new to networking,u seem not to buy the idea of one going to register in an IT training firm.I just need ur candid opinion on how to start .Thanks
Re: CISCO Thread: CISCO Professionals Identify Yourselves by qutebloke1(m): 7:41pm On Mar 15, 2009
@Isu

from Nateevs videos and some research, i was able to configure my gns3 without much hassles.this is how i did it.
I am using windows xp

Step1;  install Gns3 to your pc (hopefully you downloaded the all in one zip comprising of winpcap, as dynamips will not run without winpcap.dll) Do Not change the default settings!

Step2: After the installation, run gns3. On first run, you will be presented with a setup wizard to test the path to dynamips and locate the IOS image

Step3i: click on the configure the path to dynamips botton, you get a pop up screen (preferences) click on dynamips, under executable path locate the dynamip.exe file which should be here; C:\Program Files\GNS3\Dynamips\dynamips-wxp.exe then clisk apply->ok.

Next add the IOS image, under settings locate the IOS image you want to use. click close then save

Step3ii:  you can also add the IOS image from the main gns3 window by clicking onthe edit tab->IOS images and hypervisors, under settings locate the IOS image. just make sure the image matches the model you're using. eg. "c2600-adventerprisek9-mz124-17" is for the c2600 router click close then save

Step4:  from the main gns3 window drag 2 routers (of course the one you just added the IOS image to) into the middle window. if you get a "please register at least one IOS image" error just redo step3ii

Step5:  select a connection with the add alink botton on top. then connect the two routers by clicking on one then the other

Step6: go to the prompt below then type "list" press enter and you get a list of your routers and some properties.

Step7; type "start R0" where R0 is the hostname

Step8: type "idlepc get R0" enter the idlepc value marked with * press enter

Step9; do the same thing to R1 (steps 7 & 8 )

Step 10: Use your telnet program, i think this is where you use your VMware i used putty.

thats it you're good to go!

Any contribution, Observations, suggestions and corrections are highly welcome

You can also get more resources on gns3 here; http://www.gns3.net/documentation
Re: CISCO Thread: CISCO Professionals Identify Yourselves by nateevs(m): 2:36am On Mar 16, 2009
@McBaba.

It is not difficult. Hold on to the money you got now. You are going to need it very soon. Go to the Cisco website, check the course code for the Cisco cert you wish to pursue.

Buy books for your certs. If you can't buy, download PDF copies off the internet.
You now have your books. Begin reading. Look for someone who knows better than you, someone you can ask questions or better still bring your questions to the forum. Someone will be willing to answer.

Download Dynamips, get a Cisco IOS and begin your practicals. Now use that money to buy a used Cisco 2950 or 3500XL and a bigger and more powerful Computer.

That's it you are good to go. You passed CCNA before you know it.

@Isu.

I thought it would be much easier learning with a video than with texts. You sure will get more confused with the texts. No one can explain everything they know, typing.
Re: CISCO Thread: CISCO Professionals Identify Yourselves by nateevs(m): 4:09am On Mar 16, 2009
One of the most useful features of Dynamips is its capability to connect to a live network. This becomes very handy when working with different topologies.
You could run 3 routers on a PC and another 3 routers on a different PC bridging them with a live switch.

Other possible scenarios include

1. Having a router on a pc communicate with a TFTP server on another PC
2. Packet sniffing from another pc.
3. Having a router on one pc log messages on a syslog server installed on another pc.
4. Having a router on a pc talk authenticate to a TACACS+ or RADIUS server on another PC.
5. Having a client with VPN Client software authenticate to an EASY VPN server on another PC.

The possibilities are endless. So many things are achievable. You can also launch SDM on a dynamips' Router.
All these however are only possible via a loopback adapter that bridges your pc to the outside network.

I have prepared 2 videos.

1. How to install a loopback adapter on Windows Vista here
2. How to install a loopback adapter on Windows XP here

This will be our first step toward understanding how Dynamips enables connectivity to a live network.

You might find one of the videos very loud. I made it in my Lab and I couldn't stop all my hardware making all that noise.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Which Is The Best Internet Connection In Nigeria? / New 2011 Free Dstv Software For Phone And Pc (download Now) / Unlock Your USB Modem For Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.