Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,840 members, 7,813,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:01 PM

Need Help With MEAN Stack Technology? Get In Here - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Need Help With MEAN Stack Technology? Get In Here (2838 Views)

Looking For A Full-stack Developer / Full-stack Developer - Full-time / Can Nairaland Programming Section Be More Like Stack Overflow (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Need Help With MEAN Stack Technology? Get In Here by hisabimbola(m): 3:55pm On May 10, 2015
Hello developers

I am an experienced MEAN (MongoDB, ExpressJS, AngularJS, NodeJS) stack software developer and looking at the low reception of NodeJS and MEAN stack in Nigeria,

I am creating this thread for any technical question that anybody may have regarding MEAN stack or nodeJS.

Goal is to help newbies in the technology stack, and encourage us to build our web apps with MEAN stack

looking forward to your technical questions

N/B this is not a debate thread to prove that MEAN stack is better than any other stack or technology wink grin grin

1 Like

Re: Need Help With MEAN Stack Technology? Get In Here by blueyedgeek(m): 9:48pm On May 10, 2015
These are all separate technologies being used together right? For someone starting out, in what order does one learn each separate technology?
Re: Need Help With MEAN Stack Technology? Get In Here by hisabimbola(m): 12:06am On May 11, 2015
blueyedgeek:
These are all separate technologies being used together right? For someone starting out, in what order does one learn each separate technology?

if you want to build a MEAN stack application, you would want to have your backend(API) set up first before creating frontend, so I would advice you start out with ExpressJS (you probably do not need much of NodeJS now) then AngularJS

MongoDB is the database, learning mongoose too would be needed

hope I helped a bit...
Re: Need Help With MEAN Stack Technology? Get In Here by blueyedgeek(m): 6:29am On May 11, 2015
hisabimbola:

if you want to build a MEAN stack application, you would want to have your backend(API) set up first before creating frontend, so I would advice you start out with ExpressJS (you probably do not need much of NodeJS now) then AngularJS

MongoDB is the database, learning mongoose too would be needed

hope I helped a bit...
Yes you did. isn't express built on top of node.js? Why should express come first?
Re: Need Help With MEAN Stack Technology? Get In Here by blueyedgeek(m): 5:02pm On May 11, 2015
@hisabimbola,

* could you also explain how hosting works with MEAN apps and also

* how would you rate setting up a MEAN development environment, easy, very easy, hard, mildly hard, very hard, absolutely complex.

* I did a little research and found out that there were two versions of the MEAN stack, Mean.io and Mean.js, and it seems like they were both made by the same guy. Which one of them is better to use?

* I know you have mentioned that this isn't a debate thread but I would like your opinion on how the MEAN stack compares to alternatives like MeteorJs (JavaScript full stack framework) and stable frameworks like PHP's Laravel, Python's Django and the likes...

That'll be all for now.
Re: Need Help With MEAN Stack Technology? Get In Here by hisabimbola(m): 7:09pm On May 11, 2015
blueyedgeek:
Yes you did. isn't express built on top of node.js? Why should express come first?

ExpressJS was built on top of nodeJS, so you do not need to learn nodeJS to build your mean stack app as a newbie, maybe just learn principles behind nodeJS. A good analogy to this is jQuery and vanilla javascript, you can use jQuery without necessary learning vanilla JS (though what you can do would be limited to only what jQuery is offering)

So if you want to start out, you can dive into ExpressJS directly, and if you have any technical questions, feel free to post them here, I would be glad to help
Re: Need Help With MEAN Stack Technology? Get In Here by hisabimbola(m): 7:21pm On May 11, 2015
blueyedgeek:
@hisabimbola,

* could you also explain how hosting works with MEAN apps and also
Hosting MEAN apps is very easy and less stressful, one of the best hosting company for MEAN apps is Heroku, and they also provide free hosting, there are host of others which provides similar services

* how would you rate setting up a MEAN development environment, easy, very easy, hard, mildly hard, very hard, absolutely complex.
To set up MEAN development basically requires node and NPM, MongoDB, once you set that up, life's good. I would say easy, but if you use windows... lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

* I did a little research and found out that there were two versions of the MEAN stack, Mean.io and Mean.js, and it seems like they were both made by the same guy. Which one of them is better to use?
It depends but I would recommend MEANJS, most likely because I had used it before and when compared to MEAN.IO, MEANJS is relatively easier to work with, but then they are both boilerplate, you can build your own from scratch, and I do advice newbie to do so

* I know you have mentioned that this isn't a debate thread but I would like your opinion on how the MEAN stack compares to alternatives like MeteorJs (JavaScript full stack framework) and stable frameworks like PHP's Laravel, Python's Django and the likes...
I would try not to be biased by saying that it depends on the app you want to build.
Re: Need Help With MEAN Stack Technology? Get In Here by Olumyco(m): 12:43pm On May 12, 2015
I am a JavaScript programmer. Just want to ask hw do I set up a comment page on a website especially d database mongoDB?
Re: Need Help With MEAN Stack Technology? Get In Here by blueyedgeek(m): 7:44pm On May 19, 2015
@hisabimbola, still here?
Re: Need Help With MEAN Stack Technology? Get In Here by hisabimbola(m): 7:23pm On May 31, 2015
blueyedgeek:
@hisabimbola, still here?

Hey blueyedgeek, I am still available wink wink wink
Re: Need Help With MEAN Stack Technology? Get In Here by blueyedgeek(m): 8:12pm On May 31, 2015
hisabimbola:

Hey blueyedgeek, I am still available wink wink wink
Thought you went awol. Cool that you are still here. I might be needing your help soon.
Re: Need Help With MEAN Stack Technology? Get In Here by hisabimbola(m): 1:14pm On Jun 01, 2015
blueyedgeek:
Thought you went awol. Cool that you are still here. I might be needing your help soon.

No worries bro, I am always available grin grin
Re: Need Help With MEAN Stack Technology? Get In Here by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jun 05, 2015
Following this thread keenly...

I'm presently honing my javascript development skills with an end goal of becoming a sought after MEAN Stack developer.

I would also like to recommend that newbies who are interested in building a career as a MEAN Stack Developer should visit freecodecamp.com. That site is awesome! Their resources are free and they have a well structured curriculum. You get to pair program with people around the world. After successfully completing the curriculum, you will have the opportunity to build your portfolio by developing real world applications for non profit making organizations around the world.

Meanwhile, I'll be checking by here at intervals to ask questions bordering MEAN Stack application development.

1 Like

Re: Need Help With MEAN Stack Technology? Get In Here by blueyedgeek(m): 6:30pm On Jun 05, 2015
codebrew85:

I'm presently honing my javascript development skills with an end goal of becoming a sought after MEAN Stack developer.

I would also like to recommend that newbies who are interested in building a career as a MEAN Stack Developer should visit freecodecamp.com. That site is awesome! Their resources are free and they have a well structured curriculum. You get to pair program with people around the world. After successfully completing the curriculum, you will have the opportunity to build your portfolio by developing real world applications for non profit making organizations around the world.

Meanwhile, I'll be checking by here at intervals to ask questions bordering MEAN Stack application development.

Hey, are you currently using freecodecamp? I'm at basic algorithm scripting (solved 17 out of 37). It's pretty cool.
Re: Need Help With MEAN Stack Technology? Get In Here by Nobody: 7:21pm On Jun 05, 2015
blueyedgeek:
Hey, are you currently using freecodecamp? I'm at basic algorithm scripting (solved 17 out of 37). It's pretty cool.
Yes, I am. I just completed the mutation bonfire challenge. Are you in lagos? If you are, feel free to join the freecodecamp facebook page here
Re: Need Help With MEAN Stack Technology? Get In Here by hisabimbola(m): 8:10pm On Jun 06, 2015
codebrew85:

lovely, I love freecodecamp too, though haven't had much time to follow them up, but have some friends that are using their curriculum :thumbsup: and if you have any challenge, feel free to post them here, I would be glad to help

1 Like

Re: Need Help With MEAN Stack Technology? Get In Here by Nobody: 10:31pm On Jun 06, 2015
hisabimbola:

lovely, I love freecodecamp too, though haven't had much time to follow them up, but have some friends that are using their curriculum :thumbsup: and if you have any challenge, feel free to post them here, I would be glad to help
So, are you just about Mean Stack technology? You don't do other languages?
Re: Need Help With MEAN Stack Technology? Get In Here by hisabimbola(m): 10:36pm On Jun 06, 2015
codebrew85:
So, are you just about Mean Stack technology? You don't do other languages?

Yes, majorly MEAN stack but I also do python and django and I am not limited to only frameworks I know, as I can learn new languages fast and solve problems at hand wink grin

1 Like

Re: Need Help With MEAN Stack Technology? Get In Here by estebanmuruzaba: 12:06am On Jul 01, 2016
guys can somebody help me with a problem in my code, just want to make one post to two different models.

Anybody can give my code a look?

I can help you learn anything else in exchange smiley

thanks!!
Re: Need Help With MEAN Stack Technology? Get In Here by jobites: 5:17pm On Nov 23, 2016
Hi. Is this tread still active.

I need a serious MEAN developer to put me through and get me up to speed in MEAK stack.
I want to learn as quickly as possible and ready to pay.

I am coming from Laravel/PHP with over 6 years experience.

please call me : 070-510-807-10

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Stock Market Data In Any Format (wsdl, Rss Feed, Csv ) Etc / New Programming Youtube Channel So Underated / Battling Google, Microsoft Changes How It Builds Software

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.