Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,793 members, 7,817,288 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:36 AM

: The Fate Of A Physics Graduate! - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / : The Fate Of A Physics Graduate! (13648 Views)

Possible Career Path For A Physics Graduate / What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews / Can A 2:2 Physics Graduate Get An Msc Scholarship Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

: The Fate Of A Physics Graduate! by HenryEkene: 6:28pm On Feb 07, 2009
I'm studying physics in a university of agriculture here in Nigeria. But my fear is where can i fit in after graduation? Someone pls explain things to me. Thnx
Re: : The Fate Of A Physics Graduate! by ow11(m): 8:49pm On Feb 07, 2009
With the current state of the employment market, I guess a PG degree would do your options no harm. Physicists can work as Geophysicists, Metallurgical or Electrical engineers when given the proper training.

It takes more than just a good grades to apply physics in a related field. You would do well to study the related fields to physics and see which one you prefer and work towards it. Else, you could very well seek a graduate assistant position in your school.
Re: : The Fate Of A Physics Graduate! by Tonyet1(m): 3:03pm On Feb 12, 2009
ow11:

With the current state of the employment market, I guess a PG degree would do your options no harm. Physicists can work as Geophysicists, Metallurgical or Electrical engineers when given the proper training.

It takes more than just a good grades to apply physics in a related field. You would do well to study the related fields to physics and see which one you prefer and work towards it. Else, you could very well seek a graduate assistant position in your school.

[font=Gill sans mt condensed]brother that was a very nice advice you gave him there![/font]
Re: : The Fate Of A Physics Graduate! by Nobody: 2:38pm On Feb 20, 2009
this tip may yet be worththe while, try NEMA, NASRDA OR ANY SPACE AGENCY OR BETA STIL A SCIENCE BASED RESEARCH INSTITUTE,NEPA
Re: : The Fate Of A Physics Graduate! by DisGuy: 11:35pm On Feb 20, 2009
Henry Ekene:

I'm studying physics in a university of agriculture here in Nigeria. But my fear is where can i fit in after graduation? Someone pls explain things to me. Thnx

blaaady hell

1 Like

Re: : The Fate Of A Physics Graduate! by AjanleKoko: 7:21pm On Feb 21, 2009
All hope is not lost.
You can either do your PG in the geosciences, and pursue a career in oil and gas. Or you can move into ICT via certifications, training , and also PG in telecoms.
I know lots of physicists who are doing pretty well. Just be serious at school make sure you get a good grade. If you have a good grade you can get an entry level position just about anywhere, from banking to consulting.
The world has moved beyond what you studied at school. Nowadays just try to graduate with a good degree, and get good postgrad training, not necessarily in what your Bsc major was.
Most of last year I worked on a project with a German consultant who had a Phd in, believe it or not, nuclear physics. But he was consulting on telecoms from the marketing perspective, working with the Deutsche Telecom subsidiary T-Systems.
Cheers.
Re: : The Fate Of A Physics Graduate! by Gamine(f): 10:42pm On Feb 21, 2009
First and Foremost, Physics in an Agric school shocked

I know there is a certain physics to planting Ishu or harvesting Ogede but. . . lipsrsealed

Anyway,

A close friend of mine, who's also here on NL, J how are you? ;

Graduated with a degree in physics last year,

shes going to get a Masters in Renewable Energy Resources and Technology this year

Thats real hot cakeness there, grin

Your best bet is to take your degree further, there are so many options!

All the best!!

1 Like

Re: : The Fate Of A Physics Graduate! by candylips(m): 11:26am On Feb 25, 2009
Physics is a very good course.
Re: : The Fate Of A Physics Graduate! by wham(m): 5:42pm On Feb 26, 2009
My friend, u havent even finished and u are already having anxiety.

Relax, u are doing a lovely Course. U can easily be employed in a possition that is meant for graduate engineers sef.

mail me on whamatix@yahoo.com.

You have ur life ahead of U. ------IT, Mobile telecoms, Banking, Aviation careers, Lecturing, Agriculture etc

Leave the graduates that havent gotten job/business to worry. u are too fresh (I like ur attitude sha).

What u can do is start planning and opening ur eyes. U NEED INFORMATION.

1. You need to find out some moves some of ur fellow students are making to secure their future

2. You need to find out what young pple in the industries are doing, what was required to get the employment, and how can u start dev ur sef
Re: : The Fate Of A Physics Graduate! by yemmight(m): 8:33am On Mar 03, 2009
Henry,

You dont have to worry at all. I work with an IT firm and I recruit for them. We got lots of Physics graduates on the field. What you must be doing now is to get sme certification i.e CCNA, MSCE, ITIL etc. I am telling by the time you combine all these, you surely become a superstar.

All the best.
Re: : The Fate Of A Physics Graduate! by anderose: 1:30pm On Mar 03, 2009
hello my fellow nigerian
pple has advised you well but my opinion to you and every one that is studying or graduate of physics is that you should develop skills in information technology which is very if not most closely related to your field. start your CCNA, A+ and networking program as soon as possible.
not just to read about it but to have both theory and the technical know how most importantly.
you can do this at the most avoidable price. there are young lad out there that can help you like a guy in ikeja lagos who run his comp. engineering and networking for 15k and is 100% practical because am a witness and autocad for 7k. you can call him on 08038408095 if you need more info from him
Re: : The Fate Of A Physics Graduate! by kiwi992(m): 10:29am On Mar 10, 2009
Hi,

As you've been told, a degree in Physics is very good.  Kinda rare breed.

After graduation, you could possibly do research towards a PhD, PGCE (Post Graduate Certificate in Education - so as to teach Physics), work for a scientific organisation and so on.  The world is your oyster.  Better still, if you live in the West, which I know you don't.

Please steer well-clear of IT-related qualifications such as CCNA, MCSE, CISSP, and so on.  They are all CRAP!  I've got them all and I can tell you that they are rubbish.  Just a means of lining up the pockets of the IT vendors such as Cisco, Microsoft and so on.  CISSP is a bloody theoretical qualification.  You don't need any of them.  Worst still, you'd be required to update your qualification by re-certifying every two or three years.  The days when these qualifications were in high demand have long since gone.  Don't even bother!

You should seriously consider going into Aviation after graduating - e.g. Avionics, Aerodynamics, Engines, and such.  I don't mean pure flying but the technical stuff.  I'm sure you'd like that, with a Physics degree.

I believe Nigeria desperately needs Aircraft Engineers 'cos all their aircraft are falling to bits or being sent off abroad for maintenance when Nigerians should have been trained to do the job at home, thus saving the country a fortune in terms of foreign exchange.

Hope this helps.

kiwi992.

1 Like

Re: : The Fate Of A Physics Graduate! by cmishaelo(m): 4:21am On Mar 13, 2009
hi henry my friend u are not alone,i'm a final year student of physics in the university of nigeria,UNN. i have nevr felt sorry for studying physics,i love the course and i have gotten exposed to opportunities awaiting us,for one thing,physicists fit into virtually all positions engineers hold,though not a professional course,physics sets the stage for u to skyrocket. u are versatile and flexible. i plan getting a certification in CCNE when i graduate,it gives u more chances of being recruited, i love physics. i can go into research,probably join agencies like NARSDA,NASENI,SHETSCO,NEMA,NAMA etc. u could take further courses in geophysics and increase ur chances of working in an oil company, my brother,dnt mind what people say, u've made the right decision

2 Likes

Re: : The Fate Of A Physics Graduate! by candylips(m): 4:43pm On Jul 22, 2009
geophysics is boring . try astrophysics now that is interesting smiley
Re: : The Fate Of A Physics Graduate! by persist: 1:02pm On Jul 30, 2009
Bro,

I am a graduate of the same school same department .There are gazillion of opportunity waiting outside here in the world .
If your are good in programming you will have a job immediately sef . If not, if you still want to stick with the physics Then u certainly must love-vendor it with a masters degree in Say condensed matter like Dr Adedayo in your department .If u need any more advice halla me at .I will send u my phone number then we can talk.

Calm down I have been there too.
Re: : The Fate Of A Physics Graduate! by femo2000(m): 7:47pm On Jul 30, 2009
Apply for intership or employment at Boeing or General Electric
www.boeing.com wink cheesy smiley
Re: : The Fate Of A Physics Graduate! by canuck(m): 8:34pm On Jul 30, 2009
First off, you need to develop a career plan, not get hung up about finding job.

After you determine what you want to do (career), then you begin to apply yourself towards this goal. Physics is a pure science subject that may morph into several other disciplines with a year of post grad education.

However, you may be shading shadows if you do not start out with a career plan.

All the best!
Re: : The Fate Of A Physics Graduate! by Jenkay(m): 1:32pm On Jun 07, 2016
cmishaelo:
hi henry my friend u are not alone,i'm a final year student of physics in the university of nigeria,UNN. i have nevr felt sorry for studying physics,i love the course and i have gotten exposed to opportunities awaiting us,for one thing,physicists fit into virtually all positions engineers hold,though not a professional course,physics sets the stage for u to skyrocket. u are versatile and flexible. i plan getting a certification in CCNE when i graduate,it gives u more chances of being recruited, i love physics. i can go into research,probably join agencies like NARSDA,NASENI,SHETSCO,NEMA,NAMA etc. u could take further courses in geophysics and increase ur chances of working in an oil company, my brother,dnt mind what people say, u've made the right decision
,....pls can I have ur contact
Re: : The Fate Of A Physics Graduate! by Jenkay(m): 1:33pm On Jun 07, 2016
persist:
Bro,

I am a graduate of the same school same department .There are gazillion of opportunity waiting outside here in the world .
If your are good in programming you will have a job immediately sef . If not, if you still want to stick with the physics Then u certainly must love-vendor it with a masters degree in Say condensed matter like Dr Adedayo in your department .If u need any more advice halla me at .I will send u my phone number then we can talk.

Calm down I have been there too.

...pls I need ur contact

(1) (Reply)

Petroleum Agency Boss Komolafe Cancels 60th Birthday Celebration Over Economy / MTN Ad-hoc Staff,should I Continue Or Quit?? / Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.