Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,713 members, 7,816,932 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:29 PM

Nigeria No More Debt Free: Federal Debt Up By $18bn Under 4 Years- Daily Trust - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria No More Debt Free: Federal Debt Up By $18bn Under 4 Years- Daily Trust (15849 Views)

2017 Budget Is A Budget That Goes For More Debt -sanusi II / How We Were Pressured To Squander $18bn- Jonathan / How We Were Pressured To Squander $18bn Excess Crude Saving — Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria No More Debt Free: Federal Debt Up By $18bn Under 4 Years- Daily Trust by Nobody: 3:33pm On May 11, 2015
Jonathan Destiny is to Bankrupt Nigeria-Pst Tunde Bakare (2011)

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria No More Debt Free: Federal Debt Up By $18bn Under 4 Years- Daily Trust by phantom(m): 3:33pm On May 11, 2015
Ibime:
Domestic debt is not so much a problem as foreign debt.

Risk is reduced when countries borrow in their own currency.

In a worst case scenario, Nigeria can redeem her Naira bonds by fiat - quantitative easing. The ECB, Bank of England and US Treasury did this as part of their QE program. The difference there is they created the money to buy bonds from the private sector. CBN would be creating money to pay off bonds already bought from the private sector.

It was the same way with AMCON - all the Banks' toxic assets were erased by fiat.

Quantitative easing to pay paper debts do not overly increase Naira supply nor the velocity of money (which leads to hyperinflation) as a lot of the cash ends up sitting in Banks excess reserves.

However, as the article clearly shows, the GEJ Government was a very wasteful one.
yet, they want us to believe GEJ was the best thing since sliced bread. What a shame!

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria No More Debt Free: Federal Debt Up By $18bn Under 4 Years- Daily Trust by Joshkid(m): 3:40pm On May 11, 2015
olaxco2f:
tophaz
abi

tohpahz
tohpahz
Re: Nigeria No More Debt Free: Federal Debt Up By $18bn Under 4 Years- Daily Trust by OYAY(m): 3:50pm On May 11, 2015
Hahaha! Nawah oooooo! When one talk they will say they revive locomotive railway,they painted airports are these jejune feats they can go with this unprecedented debts in the midst of windfall? Anyway thank God they are gone for good! I rest my case.
Re: Nigeria No More Debt Free: Federal Debt Up By $18bn Under 4 Years- Daily Trust by mmsen: 3:50pm On May 11, 2015
Domestic debt is not as troubling as external debt.

There's a degree of control with internal debt that you do not have with debt owed to the international markets.

It may look problematic but much of the debt is money used for infrastructure.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria No More Debt Free: Federal Debt Up By $18bn Under 4 Years- Daily Trust by OYAY(m): 3:51pm On May 11, 2015
Hahaha! Nawah oooooo! When one talk they will say they revive locomotive railway,they painted airports are these jejune and kindergarten feats they can go with this unprecedented borrowing in the midst of windfall? Anyway thank God they are gone for good! I rest my case.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria No More Debt Free: Federal Debt Up By $18bn Under 4 Years- Daily Trust by onoja12: 4:02pm On May 11, 2015
when we were warning that Mrs Harvard is on a mission for western exploiters,people thought we were making noise please look even closer we have borrowed 18billion dollars that nobody sew and yet we are paying over 5billion dollars every year to service the debt can anybody just imagine that.i kept asking that Mrs Harvard should make the terms of such loan public.

i urge G.M.B to immediately detain Mrs Harvard as his first official order,so that economist can extract from her the extent to which she sold out Nigeria. what an evil woman (slave mentality is the problem with Nigeria)
OilGas:

http://dailytrust.com.ng/daily/top-stories/54386-nigeria-s-debt-rises-by-18bn-in-4-years

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria No More Debt Free: Federal Debt Up By $18bn Under 4 Years- Daily Trust by blym4real: 4:05pm On May 11, 2015
anonimi:
I hope this story is untrue or that there is a very plausible explanation for it.
I sincerely hope all this is not a scheme to scandalise Jonathan/PDP as they exit the stage at the federal level.

Either way, an URGENT statement from the outgoing federal administration would be very appropriate!

Can't you read?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria No More Debt Free: Federal Debt Up By $18bn Under 4 Years- Daily Trust by blym4real: 4:08pm On May 11, 2015
mmsen:
Domestic debt is not as troubling as external debt.

There's a degree of control with internal debt that you do not have with debt owed to the international markets.

It may look problematic but much of the debt is money used for infrastructure.

can you show us the infrastructures?
Didn't you read the part that said most of the fund was borrowed to pay salaries.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria No More Debt Free: Federal Debt Up By $18bn Under 4 Years- Daily Trust by Yeske2(m): 4:16pm On May 11, 2015
Just imagine the mess the clueless one and froggy had plunged us into, when experts warned oil reliant countries all over the world to save because the USA would stop buying oil as it used to, they told us not to fret. They spent everything and were even borrowing, Buhari will lose my support if the trio of GEJ, NOI and Diezeani miss jail.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria No More Debt Free: Federal Debt Up By $18bn Under 4 Years- Daily Trust by durosegun(m): 4:18pm On May 11, 2015
If after you've finished reading this, you can still type 'GEJ my hero', then the solution to your delusional case is not PHYSICAL but SPIRITUAL, I will recommend you visit Prophet T.B Joshua for 'sharp sharp' deliverance cos Baba Adeboye and Bishop David Oyedepo might not have your antidote.
The jonathan administration was was cruelly reckless with spending, they behaved as if they were answerable to no one but failed to realise that those whom the gods will destroy, they first make mad. Now that the breeze have blown and the whole world can now see the anus of the fowl, I wonder how Jonathan and his ministers will escape 'persecution'
It's only a govt that careless about the welfare and wellbeing of his people will go on a borrowing spree just to service their own salaries doing little or nothing on projects that will alleviate the sufferings of the people. We made so much in the last six years and yet we borrowed so much, imagine the country's present debt is now close to the one we incurred during the military era.
With this present scale of corruption, Abacha would be turning in his grave because PDP sixteen years rule had just made a mess of his records of corruption and surpassed him too.

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria No More Debt Free: Federal Debt Up By $18bn Under 4 Years- Daily Trust by mmsen: 4:22pm On May 11, 2015
blym4real:

can you show us the infrastructures?
Didn't you read the part that said most of the fund was borrowed to pay salaries.

The salary part has been a problem for Nigeria for a long time, hopefully the current cash crisis will push the political class into doing something about that.

At least this time around there have been improvements in infrastructure - the roads are certainly better (not all) but there are far more navigable roads than there used to be. It may sound basic but transport is very important.

There are more federal universities. Some airports have been upgraded and others are being upgraded. The military hardware is finally being upgraded after decades of neglect and weakening.
Re: Nigeria No More Debt Free: Federal Debt Up By $18bn Under 4 Years- Daily Trust by championeh(m): 4:26pm On May 11, 2015
Where is our $20b now? We need this to clear this shit!
Re: Nigeria No More Debt Free: Federal Debt Up By $18bn Under 4 Years- Daily Trust by blym4real: 4:29pm On May 11, 2015
mmsen:

The salary part has been a problem for Nigeria for a long time, hopefully the current cash crisis will push the political class into doing something about that.

At least this time around there have been improvements in infrastructure - the roads are certainly better (not all) but there are far more navigable roads than there used to be. It may sound basic but transport is very important.

There are more federal universities. Some airports have been upgraded and others are being upgraded. The military hardware is finally being upgraded after decades of neglect and weakening.

Do you even understand the amount we are talking about here.

For the past four years the country experienced economy boom through the high price of oil, but the government was still borrowing as at that time.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria No More Debt Free: Federal Debt Up By $18bn Under 4 Years- Daily Trust by tohpahz(f): 4:44pm On May 11, 2015
olaxco2f:
tophaz

abi

tohpahz

Yes..
Re: Nigeria No More Debt Free: Federal Debt Up By $18bn Under 4 Years- Daily Trust by tohpahz(f): 4:45pm On May 11, 2015
Joshkid:
tohpahz

smiley
Re: Nigeria No More Debt Free: Federal Debt Up By $18bn Under 4 Years- Daily Trust by nextstep(m): 4:45pm On May 11, 2015
External debt has been held relatively stable, and it is only domestic debt that has grown. This is very good for several reasons:

1. We have better control over the value of naira (vs foreign currencies), so we won't be hit with inflationary pressures
2. Interest will be paid to Nigerian investors who are wisely growing the domestic economy, not the economies of the West.
3. This indicates a growing confidence in the Federal and state governments' ability to repay
4. From what I can gather, most of these are bonds for infrastructure

These are actually the things that developed countries do. No large developed country is without a large government debt, sometimes up to 2x GDP. As long as the debt is used to boost the economy (primarily for building infrastructure and education, and not for paying salaries or presidential jets), this is a good sign, especially since it's mostly domestic
Re: Nigeria No More Debt Free: Federal Debt Up By $18bn Under 4 Years- Daily Trust by mmsen: 4:46pm On May 11, 2015
blym4real:

Do you even understand the amount we are talking about here.

For the past four years the country experienced economy boom through the high price of oil, but the government was still borrowing as at that time.

Do you even understand what form of debt this is?

Show me a country that does not have debts.

What are Nigeria's debts as a proportion to its income?
Re: Nigeria No More Debt Free: Federal Debt Up By $18bn Under 4 Years- Daily Trust by Sweetguy25: 5:00pm On May 11, 2015
What worries me more is the cost of servicing the debt especially the local debt.
Re: Nigeria No More Debt Free: Federal Debt Up By $18bn Under 4 Years- Daily Trust by hotwax: 5:03pm On May 11, 2015
IBROHIM:
You are a goat! You vote am?

Dont mind the werey.

Their hero spent 6 years. Lets wait for Buhari to spend 6 years before we start counting.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria No More Debt Free: Federal Debt Up By $18bn Under 4 Years- Daily Trust by blym4real: 5:05pm On May 11, 2015
mmsen:

Do you even understand what form of debt this is?

Show me a country that does not have debts.

What are Nigeria's debts as a proportion to its income?

you still don't get it.

First during the period of oil boom, the oil benchmark for the national budget was between $70 to $78, but the price went as high as $100 to $110, that means we have an excess of around $25 dollar per barrel that was not in the budget.

Do you know what this will amount to if accumulated for a period of two to three years, inspite of excess money available for the government to spend, how can they borrow 3 thrillion naira with nothing to show for it.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria No More Debt Free: Federal Debt Up By $18bn Under 4 Years- Daily Trust by Demdem(m): 5:09pm On May 11, 2015
Jonah-daft is a curse to the Nigerian Nation no doubt.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria No More Debt Free: Federal Debt Up By $18bn Under 4 Years- Daily Trust by mmsen: 5:10pm On May 11, 2015
blym4real:

you still don't get it.

First during the period of oil boom, the oil benchmark for the national budget was between $70 to $78, but the price went as high as $100 to $110, that means we have an excess of around $25 dollar per barrel that was not in the budget.

Do you know what this will amount to if accumulated for a period of two to three years, inspite of excess money available for the government to spend, how can they borrow 3 thrillion naira with nothing to show for it.

So you're saying that the money was stolen?

Well if you can prove it then you should present the evidence.

I have no doubt that there is pilfering going on from the treasury but accusations without proof are as lazy as the people who claim to work for the Federal government but do nothing.

The article claims that the bond deals were poorly structured by the banks, such that the Federal government is paying higher than necessary interest rates.

Nigeria has such a big infrastructure gap that it cannot afford to just keep money in reserve.
Re: Nigeria No More Debt Free: Federal Debt Up By $18bn Under 4 Years- Daily Trust by blym4real: 5:11pm On May 11, 2015
mmsen:

I think you collected your share from the said amount. Even the chronic pdp supporters are mute over this.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria No More Debt Free: Federal Debt Up By $18bn Under 4 Years- Daily Trust by blym4real: 5:21pm On May 11, 2015
mmsen:

So you're saying that the money was stolen?

Well if you can prove it then you should present the evidence.

I have no doubt that there is pilfering going on from the treasury but accusations without proof are as lazy as the people who claim to work for the Federal government but do nothing.

The article claims that the bond deals were poorly structured by the banks, such that the Federal government is paying higher than necessary interest rates.

Nigeria has such a big infrastructure gap that it cannot afford to just keep money in reserve.
show me the new infrastructures, is it the sub-standard roads, the scam renovation of the airports, the rickety trains,the generation of power on paper, the refineries that are not working, the new one they promised.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria No More Debt Free: Federal Debt Up By $18bn Under 4 Years- Daily Trust by mmsen: 5:29pm On May 11, 2015
blym4real:

show me the new infrastructures, is it the sub-standard roads, the scam renovation of the airports, the rickety trains,the generation of power on paper, the refineries that are not working, the new one they promised.

Not all of the roads are substandard, they're a welcome improvement. As are the airports.

Clearly money has been wasted, I cannot believe how much both parties managed to spend before and during the elections but compared to previous administrations more has been built in terms of infrastructure.
Re: Nigeria No More Debt Free: Federal Debt Up By $18bn Under 4 Years- Daily Trust by blym4real: 5:40pm On May 11, 2015
mmsen:

Not all of the roads are substandard, they're a welcome improvement. As are the airports.

Clearly money has been wasted, I cannot believe how much both parties managed to spend before and during the election but compared to previous administrations more has been built in terms of infrastructure.

You don't need to be told this administration had more money to spend compare to other administrations.

This is the worst administration ever to rule this country.

As bad as people claimed obj is, with few money to spend, he still managed to leave behind a huge foreign reserve , which jonathan government squandered away and still went borrowing 3 thrillion inspite of having more money to spend.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria No More Debt Free: Federal Debt Up By $18bn Under 4 Years- Daily Trust by dustmalik: 6:16pm On May 11, 2015
blym4real:

You don't need to be told this administration had more money to spend compare to other administrations.

This is the worst administration ever to rule this country.

As bad as people claimed obj is, with few money to spend, he still managed to leave behind a huge foreign reserve , which jonathan government squandered away and still went borrowing 3 thrillion inspite of having more money to spend.
If I were you, i'd stop arguing with that guy. His kind should be obvious to you by now.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria No More Debt Free: Federal Debt Up By $18bn Under 4 Years- Daily Trust by blym4real: 6:18pm On May 11, 2015
dustmalik:

If I were you, i'd stop arguing with that guy. His kind should be obvious to you by now.
I already give up on him.
Re: Nigeria No More Debt Free: Federal Debt Up By $18bn Under 4 Years- Daily Trust by Joshkid(m): 6:33pm On May 11, 2015
Re: Nigeria No More Debt Free: Federal Debt Up By $18bn Under 4 Years- Daily Trust by Joshkid(m): 6:33pm On May 11, 2015

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria No More Debt Free: Federal Debt Up By $18bn Under 4 Years- Daily Trust by mbulela: 8:39pm On May 11, 2015
Incurring debt to pay salaries is a crime punishable by death.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

We Won’t ‘Calm Down', Nigeria Must Breathe By David Edremoda / Serious Riot In Onitsha Now. / Jonathan: Nigeria Owes Obasanjo Debt Of Gratitude

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.