Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,787 members, 7,831,545 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:40 PM

BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. (30925 Views)

FG Copying Lagos’ Template To Revive Economy –adeosun / Power Crisis: Nigeria Lacks Gas To Generate 7,000MW —osinbajo / We’ll Kill Corruption, Solve Power Problem – Osinbajo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by gists: 7:26am On May 12, 2015
aresa:

Tinubu had boasted that “before long, Lagosians will have at least 270 Megawatts dedicated to Lagos State in addition to the Statutory allocation from NEPA that will make sure that at any given time, between 80 per cent to 90 percent of our electricity problems are solved.” “Now with the take-off of ENRON, Lagos State stands to benefit from this project,” Tinubu noted.

I have a similar hypothesis and I have not seen why it should not work. I stated this on another thread a few days ago.

gists:
I am pretty sure this perennial problem is more of political will than technical know-how.
:
:
I know for sure some private companies are already generating electricity from gas. I strongly believe this can be replicated by the discos. It is only when it comes to IPP that gas supply becomes an issue. The discos should be given a "partial" license to generate a fraction of the electricity demand for their area. All legislation barring them to generate electricity should be relaxed. Imagine kaduna disco or eko disco or phed generating about 30% of their respective demands. Add that to what is already being supplied to them from the grid. It should come to about 60%. At an individual level, this translate to about 16 hours of electricity for everybody.

Their is no miracle Buhari can perform if we have to wait for the national grid. The discos needs to be given a bit more role.

1 Like

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by Collynzo9: 7:32am On May 12, 2015
It is a good idea, but it is unfortunate that we only hear it from Osibanjo and never once from Buhari. Isn't this the kind of competitive idea the north loves fighting against? We are already getting calls from that area for the power sector to be returned completely to government hands.
Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by theV0ice: 7:41am On May 12, 2015
omenka:
Welcome from hibernation bro. How was the hole, cold, warm, damp, misty?? You must be smelling like french toast since your roasting at the polls.

Now tell us, your Lord commander that has gone beyond the "eyeing" phase, as you call it, years ago, how many megawatts has he added unto the national grid?? Last time we checked, the country was producing paltry 2,800MW!!

Honestly, tell us, what program is being aired on CNN right now?? grin. Oh, I bet the tv can't come on; no electricity, no fuel, even there is fuel, no money to get it @ N130 per litre.sad

So much for an "un-eyeing" administration. cheesy

By the way: who has seen Idu-Mud-House lately?? Dude seems to have gone AWOL.

I think it must be more like asun or balango brocheesycheesy

Dem never see those that led gej down the road of humiliation......dem still dey harrass muazu cheesy

2 Likes

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by Nobody: 7:44am On May 12, 2015
aresa:

The Lagos model is definitely the best way to go because the national power grid is pretty much worthless and spending billions on it right now wont get us anywhere. Communities should be able to have their own self contain power infrastructure and utility companies.

Lagos state is trying no to repeat their Enron mistake, but with this new approach, Fashola is building new power infrastructures from scratch not only by building the power plants, but also by sidelining the power grid, laying hundreds of miles of underground transmission cable to manufacturing transformers, building the energy academy to train electrical engineers, creating power kids to expose school children to electricity, electrical engineering, power production and conservation and so on.

They know exactly the power needs in every corner of Lagos state including the factories, the industrial estates. Shomolu alone consumes more electricity than a lot of communities in Lagos state because its the printing capital of West Africa, they print 24/7. The state audited their power needs and designed a power plant specifically for them to get them off the grid, noisy and polluting generators and diesel..

Fashola is basically saying power generation and distribution is not rocket science, we just need the right folks in charge to make it happen.

The Lagos plan could be replicated by other state governments. But as Mynd44 said, the relevant laws need to be amended for that to happen.
The FG and/or the states can also subsidize the importation of individual solar panels, which would replace the noisy family generators. The phased ban of the noisy generators will go a long way in reducing noise pollution in Nigerian cities.

2 Likes

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by theV0ice: 7:45am On May 12, 2015
Collynzo9:
It is a good idea, but it is unfortunate that we only hear it from Osibanjo and never once from Buhari. Isn't this the kind of competitive idea the north loves fighting against? We are already getting calls from that area for the power sector to be returned completely to government hands.

Thank God and thank you for your honest observation. I thought some bitter, hateful and sad souls were frothing at the mouth claiming he was AWOL, even before being sworn in? Forgetting that their vice 'Jesus' has been in ghost mode for the past 5 years cheesy

1 Like

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by Nobody: 7:46am On May 12, 2015
No time for epistle reading and story...We shall wait to see implementation.

2 Likes

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by BlackTechnology: 7:49am On May 12, 2015
barcanista:

Gbammmmmmm cool

1 Like

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by Mynd44: 7:54am On May 12, 2015
CFCfan:

The Lagos plan could be replicated by other state governments. But as Mynd44 said, the relevant laws need to be amended for that to happen.
The FG and/or the states can also subsidize the importation of individual solar panels, which would replace the noisy family generators. The phased ban of the noisy generators will go a long way in reducing noise pollution in Nigerian cities.
Government does not need to subsidized, they need to remove importat duties on power generation materials completely. They should also try giving the companies that will be generating through the microgrid have tax holidays and other incentives.

State governments can reduce land costs and speed up land certificates etc. It is all about making the pot sweeter.

About the laws, currently, if you produce more than 1mw from one plant, you must feed it into the National grid. That has greatly affected Lagos in this policy and it needs to be scrapped and thrown into the waste bin.

Estates should be able to invest and generate their own power and use it for themselves alone but they should document it.
Production plants within an industrial area will come together to build a plant that suits their needs when they know they are not stopped by the 1MW limit and generate what they need.

This is a way to create jobs too and also a way to sell gas. Forget pipelines, just allow them build their own plants and I am sure they won't mind getting gas supplied through other means

3 Likes

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by Nobody: 7:57am On May 12, 2015
Sincere9gerian:
So they'r'e still "eyeing"? I thought they said they had a plan already? I thought they said they had it all figured out already?

Only God knows how long it will take them to complete this "eyeing" phase. I hope we're not in for a 4-year "eyeing" govt?

Na wa for this one chance party led by one chance general with his "eyeing" lieutenants.
Welcome to the world of APC deception

3 Likes

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by patrickmuf(m): 8:53am On May 12, 2015
barcanista:
Coming from the chief epistle writer... Talk about the irony of life...Lil

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by anonimi: 9:53am On May 12, 2015
aresa:

Tinubu’s ENRON: During Bola Tinubu’s administration,the governor was able to pressurise the federal government into approving the take-off of the multi-million project by ENRON International Energy Corporation.
Tinubu had boasted that “before long, Lagosians will have at least 270 Megawatts dedicated to Lagos State in addition to the Statutory allocation from NEPA that will make sure that at any given time, between 80 per cent to 90 percent of our electricity problems are solved.” “Now with the take-off of ENRON, Lagos State stands to benefit from this project,” Tinubu noted.
Perhaps Tinubu’s dream is becoming a reality. The Tinubu administration did all that was humanly possible in order to achieve the ENRON breakthrough while the deliberations with the federal government lasted. Tinubu then asserted: “What we have achieved now is our own big giant step in the moon.”

He explained that the reason why he has been [size=15pt]excited by this breakthrough[/size] lies in the fact that “we made a promise to the electorates in Lagos State that ours is a commitment to the infrastructural development that will lead to economic growth, poverty alleviation, independence of small scale industries, where research and development, and the hopes and aspirations of big and small professionals will flourish. This is the beginning of that joy and we are going to achieve it.”

Lagos IPP: However, the Lagos State government has tried to take the bull by the horns in solving the power problem. The commencement and installations of power plants in strategic places across the state has gone a long way in reducing the epileptic power problem.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/05/buhari-govt-eyeing-lagos-template-to-solve-power-crisis/

Does Lagos have 24/7 electricity

After 15 years since the ENRON Barge scam deal and super-sized generators fraudulently called IPPs and budget increase from N48 billion in 2000 to almost N500 billion in 2015.

Nigeria: Roads Top Lagos N48bn Jumbo Budget
23 NOVEMBER 2000

More from: http://allafrica.com/stories/200011270546.html

These APC people really take us for FOOLS angry

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by BabaO2: 9:58am On May 12, 2015
aresa:
Our power problem was compounded when OBJ derailed Lagos state's Enron project back in 2001, just imagine Lagos and Nigeria today with many IPPs all over Lagos state and replication all over Nigeria...

What a shame....

Thank God the same Lagos state is leading the way again with better strategies...
Main reason why Oba Akiolu never liked OBJ and PDP
Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by Nobody: 10:03am On May 12, 2015
vanunu:

Can u give an example of just one country that produces electricity in bits?
UK
Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by Pavore9: 10:07am On May 12, 2015
”The governor, who re-iterated that the solution to unemployment and jobs creation, improved economic situation lies in made in Nigeria goods'

l believe in made in Nigeria goods that are competitive in the international market.

2 Likes

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by M16: 10:09am On May 12, 2015
omenka:
Welcome from hibernation bro. How was the hole, cold, warm, damp, misty?? You must be smelling like french toast since your roasting at the polls.

Now tell us, your Lord commander that has gone beyond the "eyeing" phase, as you call it, years ago, how many megawatts has he added unto the national grid?? Last time we checked, the country was producing paltry 2,800MW!!

Honestly, tell us, what program is being aired on CNN right now?? grin. Oh, I bet the tv can't come on; no electricity, no fuel, even there is fuel, no money to get it @ N130 per litre.sad

So much for an "un-eyeing" administration. cheesy

Omenka you no go kill me. grin. I shock to see the guy

By the way: who has seen Idu-Mud-House lately?? Dude seems to have gone AWOL.
Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by anonimi: 10:11am On May 12, 2015
Mynd44:

You are one to talk. Remember that they are not even in government yet.

How has power improved under the PDP for +15 years?

I thought APC is the new or is it old PDP with all the cankerworms that ate and destroyed the socio-economic fabric of our dear nation assembled in the winchious coven! Did I miss something

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2102459_apcteam_png6dc9407cdcc2b68174c445361fc3e4c9

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2162677_img20150225204321edit_jpeg56bb1cb2db278f716bb3a9df7c4cd726

1 Like 1 Share

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by Immune1(m): 10:16am On May 12, 2015
Modular power stations are very welcome for industry clusters as proposed already by NERC, but this decentralized system isnt sustainable for domestic use/applications because of the unit cost of generating power per KW. Akwa-Ibom for instance has what it takes to power the state because it can afford it; i cant say same for Ebonyi or Imo states. What Buhari should do is continue the current approach and encourage more clusters where government can offer incentives (like free-land or lower tax) to serve as some form of subsidy for the relatively higher unit cost of electricity from modular facilities.
I may be wrong but i feel the current system is in line with how we control resources in Nigeria or how revenue from oil gotten from the Niger-delta region is shared across the states of the federation. If power generation is decentralized then we need to consider regional resource control.

1 Like

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by Mynd44: 10:26am On May 12, 2015
Immune1:
Modular power stations are very welcome for industry clusters as proposed already by NERC, but this decentralized system isnt sustainable for domestic use/applications because of the unit cost of generating power. Akwa-Ibom for instance has what it takes to power the state because it can afford it; i cant say same for Ebonyi or Imo states. What Buhari should do is continue the current approach and encourage more clusters where government can offers incentives (like free-land or lower tax) to serve as some form of subsidy for the relatively higher unit cost of electricity from modular facilities.
Of course the government is still going to invest in large generation but the present distribution cannot handle more than 7,500. The modular idea is a way to make sure we grow at a steady pace. Imagine if we can take places like Lagos, Kano, Rivers, Anambra and other power consumers off the grid. It leaves the other ones to be in the grid.
Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by caprini1: 10:26am On May 12, 2015
My candid advice is for one to save up some money and install some solar power in your house or office,we have enuff sunshine!...since I was born,its been promises and promises!
Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by Acidosis(m): 10:27am On May 12, 2015
lol
Let there be light in four years, lest you perish with your stu. pid promises
Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by naija2dabone(m): 10:28am On May 12, 2015
Lagos get light?

MTCHEEEEEEWWWW

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by UncleJudax(m): 10:28am On May 12, 2015
bogolobango:
Ile yoruba oni baje oo
eko oni baje

I knw some mofos will come nd quote me try it make ogun punish u yeye lagoon people

Proudly yoruba
Inferiority complex. tongue
Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by obailala(m): 10:28am On May 12, 2015
anonimi:

Does Lagos have 24/7 electricity

After 15 years since the ENRON Barge scam deal and super-sized generators fraudulently called IPPs and budget increase from N48 billion in 2000 to almost N500 billion in 2015.

These APC people really take us for FOOLS angry
The project was frustrated by OBJ and the PDP central government. Now we have an APC central government, hence the project is being revisited.

I hope my English is simple enough for you to comprehend?
Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by boluyongp(m): 10:36am On May 12, 2015
Mynd44:

In the south, I will like to see a Badagry power plant Ltd. that wants to harness the Atlantic ocean through tidal power. At least the beaches there have not been tamed like the ones on Lagos Island so it is possible.
I agree with you mostly but there's a minimum wind speed required to power a turbine. Lagos coast doesn't have that and that's why its not being explored.
Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by anonimi: 10:37am On May 12, 2015
obailala:

The project was frustrated by OBJ and the PDP central government. Now we have an APC central government, hence the project is being revisited.

I hope my English is simple enough for you to comprehend?

Do you know the meaning of these words

- Breakthrough
- Excited
- Achieved (past tense)
- Reality
- Solved

aresa:

Tinubu’s ENRON: During Bola Tinubu’s administration,the governor was able to pressurise the federal government into approving the take-off of the multi-million project by ENRON International Energy Corporation.
Perhaps Tinubu’s dream is becoming a reality. The Tinubu administration did all that was humanly possible in order to achieve the ENRON breakthrough while the deliberations with the federal government lasted. Tinubu then asserted: “What we have achieved now is our own big giant step in the moon.”

He explained that the reason why he has been [size=15pt]excited by this breakthrough[/size]

STOP spreading LIES and rumours.
Not good for your health and pants grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by ogaprime(m): 10:37am On May 12, 2015
Mynd44:
This has been what Osinbajo has been proposing all these while. To be honest, we Nigerians don't really know the exact issue with power generation and the National grid.

If Nigeria generates anything more that 7,500MW and feeds it to the grid, everything is going to come down as our distribution lines cannot take that much power. We don't not have the facilities so building huge power plants is not the way.

What we can do is to generate the power in bits. As Osinbajo have said, generate power when it will be consumed so we don't spend too much time and money on distribution. Each Local government or LCDA depending on the consumption. Perhaps even a locality can come together to have a 10MW plant for that area and they are good to go.

To keep building huge plants and hoping to connect then to the grid is a waste that has proven to be the way not to go.

With this bit by bit module, each locality can look at what they have and use it to generate power, gas in most places, some can use renewable power especially in the North where there are huge opportunities for wind and solar power.

In the south, I will like to see a Badagry power plant Ltd. that wants to harness the Atlantic ocean through tidal power. At least the beaches there have not been tamed like the ones on Lagos Island so it is possible.

These bit by bit generation will culminate into something tangible but first we need legislation for it to work as right now, the power generation laws state that if you generate anything greater than 1mw, you have to connect to the grid. This is where policy, plans, entrepreneurship and dedication combination will come into play

Not only power. We need to break down everything to state level... De police too, agric too refinery may be at zonal level etc. Some state government don't have work to do,some don't even know what to do...
Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by Nobody: 10:39am On May 12, 2015
caprini1:
My candid advice is for one to save up some money and install some solar power in your house or office,we have enuff sunshine!...since I was born,its been promises and promises!

It cost 3 - 5 million naira for a fully functional solar power sytem for a bungalow. so many nigerians cant afford that.

2 Likes

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by anonimi: 10:40am On May 12, 2015
ogaprime:
Not only power. We need to break down everything to state level... De police too, agric too refinery may be at zonal level etc. Some state government don't have work to do,some don't even know what to do...

They surely know what to do- share & spend Niger Delta oil revenue aka national cake =>

FG, States, LGs Share N568.4 Billion for Oct
15 NOVEMBER 2013

Also, $1billion was proposed for distribution to complement shortfall in expected revenue." The $1billion is a compromise by the FG over its words in September not to augment shortfalls anymore.

Responding to the presentation, the chairman of the States Commissioners of Finance and Ebonyi State Commissioner of Finance, Mr Timothy Odaah, lamented that the statutory allocation was getting smaller and smaller. "It appears this is the worst in terms of returns. This is the least in allocations as far as this year is concerned. We are mourning the dearth of funds and this is a wakeup call for states and local governments to buoy up their internally generated revenue."

While appreciating the "magnanimity" of President Goodluck Jonathan to approve the $1billion from the excess crude account and to be shared among the federal, state and local governments, Odaah expressed disappointment with the returns made by the NNPC.

He said that [size=14pt]the states had requested for $2bn[/size] to complement for the shortfall in revenue but got only $1billion. In September, Odaah and fellow commissioners had walked out of the Accountant General of the Federation (AGF) when the federal government said that the framework of the 2013 budget was no longer realistic and it won't augment shortfall in revenue. Odaah raised issues with the statutory allocations of previous months.

More from: http://allafrica.com/stories/201311150323.html
Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by mytime24(f): 10:40am On May 12, 2015
Kk
Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by Volksfuhrer(m): 10:42am On May 12, 2015
Mynd44:

Of course the government is still going to invest in large generation but the present distribution cannot handle more than 7,500. The modular idea is a way to make sure we grow at a steady pace. Imagine if we can take places like Lagos, Kano, Rivers, Anambra and other power consumers off the grid. It leaves the other ones to be in the grid.

This is obvious enough. Yet PDP didn't see this for 16 years.

In any case, I never believed PDP ever had any genuine intention of solving the power problem.

1 Like

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by Niyinficient(m): 10:44am On May 12, 2015
bogolobango:
Ile yoruba oni baje oo
eko oni baje

I knw some mofos will come nd quote me try it make ogun punish u yeye lagoon people

Proudly yoruba

Tribal bigot! What has dis got to do wit tribe? Se ori yin o pe sir/ma? Must u bring tribalism into everything?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

APC Passes Vote Of No Confidence On Kogi Governor, Yahaya Bello / Avengers: Military Deploy Fighter Jets, Surveillance Aircrafts / Militants Attack Eni Oil Pipeline In Bayelsa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.