Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,687 members, 7,831,129 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:08 PM

Christian Tithing - Separating Fact From Fiction - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christian Tithing - Separating Fact From Fiction (2183 Views)

Lady Asked To Submit Winners Chapel Tithing Card For Employment / 10 Bible Verses On Tithing / Separating Fact From Fiction - How The Illuminati Started. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christian Tithing - Separating Fact From Fiction by agwom(m): 7:07am On May 12, 2015
Some preachers proclaim Christians are promised health, wealth and prosperity when they tithe. They say give God ten percent of your (gross) income. In return, God will prosper you. Is this true? Is this biblical?

A careful study of the Bible shows that Christians are not promised prosperity if they tithe.

Here are the facts about tithing and prosperity:

1. Biblical tithing did not consist of money. Tithing was an ancient Jewish ritual involving animal and blood sacrifices. Tithes always consisted of agricultural produce.

And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or fruit of the tree, is the Lord's: it is holy unto the Lord (Leviticus 27:30, KJV).

2. The ancient Jewish people were the only biblical figures who were commanded to tithe. The tithing command was one of 613 commandments of the Mosaic Law. Ancient Israel was promised blessings only if they followed all 613 commandments.

But it shall come to pass, if thou will not hearken unto the voice of the lord thy god, to observe all his commandments and his statutes which command thee this day; that all these curses shall come up on the, and overtake thee (Deuteronomy 28:15, KJV).

3. There's no mention of Christians tithing in the Bible. Early Christians practiced giving - not tithing. Furthermore, there is no scripture stating Christians will prosper if they pay tithes.

4. There are millions of Christians who pay ten percent of their income to churches and ministries yet they remain poor, broke or debt-ridden. Yet some of the wealthiest people in the world don't pay tithes.

5. You do not have to tithe in order to prosper. The path to prosperity involves using your God-given gifts/talents to serve humanity. Prosperity also involves saving and investing one's money wisely.

Do not be misled. There are various false teachings, doctrines and gospels surrounding tithing. The Bible says "the truth shall set you free." It's time Christians know the truth about tithing and prosperity. In knowing the truth you will be set free from the financial and spiritual bondage of tithing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Christian Tithing - Separating Fact From Fiction by opeaceo: 8:03am On May 12, 2015
1. Many of us are not farming and so if we are to give our tithes going by your definition, how do we go about it? What is the dictionary definition of tithes?

2. Who was God referring to in mal 3:10.

3. Please read up matt 23:23.

4.You can't be too sure if the "rich" ones pay or dont pay tithes.

5. Your opinion, and everyone is entitled to his/hers.
Re: Christian Tithing - Separating Fact From Fiction by Nobody: 9:11am On May 12, 2015
the issue of tithing is one that i dont like talking about..i dont condemn tithing bt here in the new covenant there is now a better way of giving.

1cor16:1-you are to give as much as God has prospered you.
2cor9:6-8:-give bountifully,Give according to how u purpose in your heart, not grudingly or of necessity for God loves a cheerful giver.....

There is false teaching out-there that says when u give to God, U are to expect something in return...
GOD is NOT a LOTTERY JACKET...
I dont give because i want to get back something from God..i give because i am obliged to..every christian is obliged to give..it is SERVICE to the church and to GOD..in the early church people sold thier possessions and it was used to met the needs of MEN and the needs of the CHURCH

1 Like

Re: Christian Tithing - Separating Fact From Fiction by opeaceo: 11:16am On May 12, 2015
sportsmaster:
the issue of tithing is one that i dont like talking about..i dont condemn tithing bt here in the new covenant there is now a better way of giving.

1cor16:1-you are to give as much as God has prospered you.
2cor9:6-8:-give bountifully,Give according to how u purpose in your heart, not grudingly or of necessity for God loves a cheerful giver.....

There is false teaching out-there that says when u give to God, U are to expect something in return...
GOD is NOT a LOTTERY JACKET...
I dont give because i want to get back something from God..i give because i am obliged to..every christian is obliged to give..it is SERVICE to the church and to GOD..in the early church people sold thier possessions and it was used to met the needs of MEN and the needs of the CHURCH
What about Lk 6:38
"Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again."
Re: Christian Tithing - Separating Fact From Fiction by Nobody: 12:03pm On May 12, 2015
opeaceo:

"Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again."
this is a victim of one of those false doctrines about GIVING,,
God blesses both the believer and unbelievers materially,the only difference btwn the believer and the unbeliever is THE SPIRIT OF GOD
matt 5:45- "that ye may be the children of ur father: for HE maketh his SUN TO RISE ON THE EVIL AND ON THE GOOD,and SENDETH RAIN ON THE JUST AND THE UNJUST"...
Bill gates and CO are not christians,bt what they own materially,many christians cant stand beside them and they do not give to GOD or any church.(JUST Saying)..
Whether you give to the church/GOD or not.it does not stop God from blessing YOU..many unbelievers dont give and yet they are blessed..
I AM NOT TELLING YOU NOT TO GIVE,..I AM SIMPLY SAYING "DO NOT BE FOOLED INTO GIVING ALL IN THE NAME OF WANTING TO RECIEVE ABUNDANTLY FROM GOD..I REPEAT, GOD IS NOT A LOTTERY JACKET"..GIVING IS PART OF SERVICE TO THE CHURCH.
Jesus said in matt 6:21-
For where your TREASURE is,there will your HEART also be......
Dont be fooled and do not be cheated/extorted..Giving should be as a result of service/committment to the church/GOD,not as a means of winning lottery or money multiplier.
SELAH

4 Likes

Re: Christian Tithing - Separating Fact From Fiction by hahn(m): 12:30pm On May 12, 2015
opeaceo:

I personally feel the issue of giving shouldn't be specified only to your pastor. What about people in need?

I've been in a bus many times and the conductor is screaming at someone who doesn't have money to pay the tfare. Most times, there are christians in the bus and they will act like they don't care. Despite the fact than I'm non religious, I can't bear to see someone in need and not help.

The truth is that most christians will give only because they hope to get something back in return.

PS: I've met some really generous christians and muslims though

2 Likes

Re: Christian Tithing - Separating Fact From Fiction by opeaceo: 2:13pm On May 12, 2015
hahn:

I personally feel the issue of giving shouldn't be specified only to your pastor. What about people in need?

I've been in a bus many times and the conductor is screaming at someone who doesn't have money to pay the tfare. Most times, there are christians in the bus and they will act like they don't care. Despite the fact than I'm non religious, I can't bear to see someone in need and not help.

The truth is that most christians will give only because they hope to get something back in return.

PS: I've met some really generous christians and muslims though
Your opinion.
Re: Christian Tithing - Separating Fact From Fiction by opeaceo: 2:18pm On May 12, 2015
sportsmaster:

this is a victim of one of those false doctrines about GIVING,,
God blesses both the believer and unbelievers materially,the only difference btwn the believer and the unbeliever is THE SPIRIT OF GOD
matt 5:45- "that ye may be the children of ur father: for HE maketh his SUN TO RISE ON THE EVIL AND ON THE GOOD,and SENDETH RAIN ON THE JUST AND THE UNJUST"...
Bill gates and CO are not christians,bt what they own materially,many christians cant stand beside them and they do not give to GOD or any church.(JUST Saying)..
Whether you give to the church/GOD or not.it does not stop God from blessing YOU..many unbelievers dont give and yet they are blessed..
I AM NOT TELLING YOU NOT TO GIVE,..I AM SIMPLY SAYING "DO NOT BE FOOLED INTO GIVING ALL IN THE NAME OF WANTING TO RECIEVE ABUNDANTLY FROM GOD..I REPEAT, GOD IS NOT A LOTTERY JACKET"..GIVING IS PART OF SERVICE TO THE CHURCH.
Jesus said in matt 6:21-
For where your TREASURE is,there will your HEART also be......
Dont be fooled and do not be cheated/extorted..Giving should be as a result of service/committment to the church/GOD,not as a means of winning lottery or money multiplier.
SELAH
And who says I'm a victim? Do you know if I just wanted clarification on that issue?
Next time, don't be presumptuous.
Re: Christian Tithing - Separating Fact From Fiction by MrPristine: 2:20pm On May 12, 2015
cool

Re: Christian Tithing - Separating Fact From Fiction by hahn(m): 4:33pm On May 12, 2015
opeaceo:

Your opinion.

That's all you can say? How articulate undecided
Re: Christian Tithing - Separating Fact From Fiction by opeaceo: 5:17pm On May 12, 2015
hahn:

That's all you can say? How articulate undecided
Thanks a bunch.
Re: Christian Tithing - Separating Fact From Fiction by NumberOne2(m): 2:28am On May 13, 2015
OP here is a correction:

Tithing is NOT from the OLD testament, it existed BEFORE the OLD testament and it existed before the JEWS. Abraham was the first to tithe. He was NOT a JEW.
Re: Christian Tithing - Separating Fact From Fiction by Nobody: 3:31am On May 13, 2015
opeaceo:

And who says I'm a victim? Do you know if I just wanted clarification on that issue?
Next time, don't be presumptuous.
Oya Babe no VEX grin
Re: Christian Tithing - Separating Fact From Fiction by MrPristine: 2:17pm On May 13, 2015
NumberOne2:
OP here is a correction:

Tithing is NOT from the OLD testament, it existed BEFORE the OLD testament and it existed before the JEWS. Abraham was the first to tithe. He was NOT a JEW.

How does abraham tithing translate to christians should tithe should we also be sleeping with our house maids because abraham did so? undecided
Re: Christian Tithing - Separating Fact From Fiction by NumberOne2(m): 2:57pm On May 13, 2015
MrPristine:

How does abraham tithing translate to christians should tithe should we also be sleeping with our house maids because abraham did so? undecided

So as Christians we should all get Crucified like Jesus and Apostle Peter?

Christians DO MORE than tithe, they give ALL. Can you?

"Neither was there any among them that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold, And laid them down at the apostles' feet: and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need." - Act 4:34-35

Todays Christians dont TITHE, dont give to the POOR, dont give ALL. You call it grace (New Testament). Ride on.
Re: Christian Tithing - Separating Fact From Fiction by xdunamis(m): 3:00pm On May 13, 2015
Who tithes the payee?
Re: Christian Tithing - Separating Fact From Fiction by MrPristine: 3:23pm On May 13, 2015
NumberOne2:

So as Christians we should all get Crucified like Jesus and Apostle Peter?

Christians DO MORE than tithe, they give ALL. Can you?

"Neither was there any among them that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold, And laid them down at the apostles' feet: and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need." - Act 4:34-35

Todays Christians dont TITHE, dont give to the POOR, dont give ALL. You call it grace (New Testament). Ride on.

The giving in Acts was voluntary giving and it was used to take care of the poor and the needy in the church unlike your tithes that is manipulative giving derived from twisting scripture and is used to enrich some lazy greedy goons.
Re: Christian Tithing - Separating Fact From Fiction by NumberOne2(m): 3:32pm On May 13, 2015
MrPristine:

The giving in Acts was voluntary giving and it was used to take care of the poor and the needy in the church unlike your tithes that is manipulative giving derived from twisting scripture and is used to enrich some lazy greedy goons.

Your bitterness toward what the tithe money is used for is blinding you. I am not a Pastor!
If you don't want to tithe, because of FRAUD say so. Dont use pretext of Giving to the Poor or OLD and NEW testament to justify it.
Just like those who Masturbate and look for Scriptures to justify that it is NOT a SIN.
Re: Christian Tithing - Separating Fact From Fiction by MrPristine: 5:32pm On May 13, 2015
NumberOne2:

Your bitterness toward what the tithe money is used for is blinding you. I am not a Pastor!
If you don't want to tithe, because of FRAUD say so. Dont use pretext of Giving to the Poor or OLD and NEW testament to justify it.
Just like those who Masturbate and look for Scriptures to justify that it is NOT a SIN.

I don't tithe because there is not one single christian requirement or suggestion to tithe in the whole bible. Those who preach tithing have to twist scriptures to arrive at that fraudulently false doctrine. tongue
Re: Christian Tithing - Separating Fact From Fiction by NumberOne2(m): 11:21pm On May 13, 2015
MrPristine:

I don't tithe because there is not one single christian requirement or suggestion to tithe in the whole bible. Those who preach tithing have to twist scriptures to arrive at that fraudulently false doctrine. tongue

No. It is the non tithers that twist scripture. You say its OLD conventant. I have shown you it preceed that.
You say it has been abolished. By who? Never hear any Apostle or Jesus say "Beloved, do not tithe anymore". You assume it has been abolished.
You say you are children of Abraham but DONT tithe like Abraham. Your speech is too hypocritical.

Maybe you should stick to just a NEW testament bible since the OLD testament is for the Jews and myself.
Re: Christian Tithing - Separating Fact From Fiction by MrPristine: 8:43am On May 14, 2015
NumberOne2:

No. It is the non tithers that twist scripture. You say its OLD conventant. I have shown you it preceed that.
You say it has been abolished. By who? Never hear any Apostle or Jesus say "Beloved, do not tithe anymore". You assume it has been abolished.
You say you are children of Abraham but DONT tithe like Abraham. Your speech is too hypocritical.

Maybe you should stick to just a NEW testament bible since the OLD testament is for the Jews and myself.

If you are not twisting scripture why don't you just show us just one example of christian tithing in the bible or a single instruction for Christians to tithe. Also show where the bible said tithe should be from income without twisting any scripture thanx
Re: Christian Tithing - Separating Fact From Fiction by openmine(m): 1:15pm On May 14, 2015
NumberOne2:

after our disagreement in d oda tithe thread,I cant but wonder which position or side u r on...first u said d tithes,u practise were dat of Abraham,then u quickly head 2 Deuteronomy or Malachi,which is of d law of moses dat u condemned,2 use as ur directive,and now u say he sud show u where tithes were abolished...OK
let me ask u dese few questions 2 ascertain ur stand...
1.is d tithe practised by d Jews according 2 d mosaic law part of d 613 laws of moses?
2.was abraham obligated or commanded 2 give a tenth of d war spoils 2 d king after he rescued his cousin lot?
3.how does d tithe or tenth of d war spoils of Abraham relate 2 dat of d tithe in d law of moses?
4.now I ask again Dis question, wat is ur definition of tithes according 2 d bible...not dictionary or wikipedia definition... thanks
Re: Christian Tithing - Separating Fact From Fiction by NumberOne2(m): 10:08pm On May 14, 2015
openmine:

after our disagreement in d oda tithe thread,I cant but wonder which position or side u r on...first u said d tithes,u practise were dat of Abraham,then u quickly head 2 Deuteronomy or Malachi,which is of d law of moses dat u condemned,2 use as ur directive,and now u say he sud show u where tithes were abolished...OK
let me ask u dese few questions 2 ascertain ur stand...
1.is d tithe practised by d Jews according 2 d mosaic law part of d 613 laws of moses?
2.was abraham obligated or commanded 2 give a tenth of d war spoils 2 d king after he rescued his cousin lot?
3.how does d tithe or tenth of d war spoils of Abraham relate 2 dat of d tithe in d law of moses?
4.now I ask again Dis question, wat is ur definition of tithes according 2 d bible...not dictionary or wikipedia definition... thanks

I will sum up your question here:

You see, there is a BIG difference between Abraham tithing and the law of Moses.
The Israelite were obligated or commanded to because Jacob (Isreal) vowed to tithe. see scripture below:

"And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on,
So that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the LORD be my God:
And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee." - Genesis 28:20-22

As for Abraham, you call it spoils of war, but it was Abrahams legitimate property.
He was a man of the spirit and saw the need (not force as I have always state) to tithe to the King of Salem who Paul explained in Hebrews. (This is why I tithe not as a Jew but as a seed of Abraham).
Re: Christian Tithing - Separating Fact From Fiction by Dancee1(m): 11:24pm On May 14, 2015
We are not followers or disciples of abraham but of jesus christ and d apostles. So, we are expected to do what they did and told us to emulate. Jesus performed a lot of miracles & told us to do same even greater miracles. Jesus didn't pay tithe and likewise d apostles and they also did't admonish us to pay. Tithe has nothing to do with christianity; in fact, Tithe is the highest fraud in christianity seconded by first fruit. For God's sake we are d body of christ and christ is d head; we hav d same life (zoe) in us. Why on earth are we expected to do what d master never did when he walked d earth? Pastors should repent and concentrate on d gospel of jesus christ and stay away from every other gospel whether Abraham's or melchizedek's for d end is near

1 Like

Re: Christian Tithing - Separating Fact From Fiction by NumberOne2(m): 12:03am On May 15, 2015
Dancee1:
We are not followers or disciples of abraham but of jesus christ and d apostles. So, we are expected to do what they did and told us to emulate. Jesus performed a lot of miracles & told us to do same even greater miracles. Jesus didn't pay tithe and likewise d apostles and they also did't admonish us to pay. Tithe has nothing to do with christianity; in fact, Tithe is the highest fraud in christianity seconded by first fruit. For God's sake we are d body of christ and christ is d head; we hav d same life (zoe) in us. Why on earth are we expected to do what d master never did when he walked d earth? Pastors should repent and concentrate on d gospel of jesus christ and stay away from every other gospel whether Abraham's or melchizedek's for d end is near

Children of Abraham but not followers? Is this not a contradiction!
As followers of Christ? Why not give ALL like the early Disciples.

On a final note, I see that most against tithes are those angry that Pastors use it for fraud. Well you should know that most of the monies Pastors get are actually from FREE WILL OFFERINGS often called SEED rather than tithes. I know folks that bougth Cars, houses and other expensive stuff for Pastors, should this be stopped also?
Re: Christian Tithing - Separating Fact From Fiction by openmine(m): 1:12am On May 15, 2015
NumberOne2:

I will sum up your question here:

You see, there is a BIG difference between Abraham tithing and the law of Moses.

Am glad u now see d difference....

NumberOne2:
The Israelite were obligated or commanded to because Jacob (Isreal) vowed to tithe.
WHAT!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked
Israel were instructed to tithe because of jacob's supposed vow to tithe?? shocked shocked
Am sorry bro but you are wrong again....
yes jacob made a vow to tithe but thats wat it is...A VOW...a vow is voluntary...more like an agreement between two people...in dis case,between jacob and God...and besides,there was no scripture where such vow was fulfilled by jacob or where God actually agreed to that vow...
furthermore,Jacob was in no position 2 make any demands to agreements to God because he had just stolen d birthright of his brother....but one thing sud be known,
Israel was NEVER obligated or instructed to tithe BECAUSE of jacob's supposed vow to tithe ...
If you have any objections,pls do so with detailed scriptures showing where jacob's vow to tithe was d reason why d people of israel were obligated to tithe by God..
Let me provide scriptures where d mosaic law tithe originated from...

20 The Lord said to Aaron, “You will have no inheritance in their land, nor will you have any share among them; I am your share and your inheritance among the Israelites.

21 “I give to the Levites all the tithes in Israel as their inheritance in return for the work they do while serving at the tent of meeting. 22 From now on the Israelites must not go near the tent of meeting, or they will bear the consequences of their sin and will die. 23 It is the Levites who are to do the work at the tent of meeting and bear the responsibility for any offenses they commit against it. This is a lasting ordinance for the generations to come. They will receive no inheritance among the Israelites. 24 Instead, I give to the Levites as their inheritance the tithes that the Israelites present as an offering to the Lord. That is why I said concerning them: ‘They will have no inheritance among the Israelites.’” Numbers 18:20-24

Please note the highlighted....

NumberOne2:
see scripture below:

"And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on,
So that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the LORD be my God:
And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee." - Genesis 28:20-22

Again this scripture has no connection whatsoever to do with why d Israelites tithe....It was simply a VOW by jacob..Nothing More...it had no similarity to d tithe commanded by God to israel...
God instructed d israelites to tithe because he wanted d levites who had no inheritance in d land 2 receive d tithes dat God instructed...
(Numbers 18:20-24;Deutronomy 14:28-29)

NumberOne2:
As for Abraham, you call it spoils of war, but it was Abrahams legitimate property.
He was a man of the spirit and saw the need (not force as I have always state) to tithe to the King of Salem who Paul explained in Hebrews. (This is why I tithe not as a Jew but as a seed of Abraham).

Please go and study Genesis 14 again but specifically 22-23

18 Melchizedek, the king of Salem and a priest of God Most High, also went to meet Abram. He brought bread and wine. 19 He blessed Abram and said,

“Abram, may you be blessed by God Most High,
the one who made heaven and earth.
And we praise God Most High,
who helped you defeat your enemies.”

Abram gave Melchizedek one-tenth of everything he had taken during the battle. 21 Then the king of Sodom told Abram, “Give me my people who were captured. But you can keep everything else.”

22 But Abram said to the king of Sodom, “I promise to the Lord, the God Most High, the one who made heaven and earth. 23 I PROMISE THAT I WILL NOT KEEP ANYTHING THAT IS YOURS—not even a thread or a sandal strap! I don’t want you to say, ‘I made Abram rich.’ 24 The only thing I will accept is the food that my young men have eaten, but you should give the other men their share. Take what we won in battle and give some to Aner, Eshcol, and Mamre. These men helped me in the battle.”
Now do u still believe dat it was Abraham's legitimate property....?
but aside dat,even if he owned it,so wat?
wats d fuss about it?
was he forced or commanded to give to Melchizedek?
You said no..then why insist dat christians obey a kind gesture from Abraham...This again shows d futility of ur claim...bring to question ur sincerity..
And even if Abraham didnt offer d plunder,it wud never have made any difference...It wud never have stopped God from blessing Abraham..And Abraham was already a blessed man...
Remember he went to rescue his cousin lot...dats why he went to war...its not as if it was a ritual or some thing like that...So pls i urge u to Stop making a mountain out of a mole hill ....
Finally,if u want 2 pay tithes whether dat of Abraham or d law of moses...
its ur concern..
...and it makes no difference wat so ever..
..but pls know dat ur tithe is not the reason why you are blessed..Unless u r claiming dat christ finished work on the cross was a simple waste of time...
U r blessed not because you tithe like Abraham but because of the promises that God gave to Abraham..of which we d gentiles became part of...
Not becos of wat we did(works) but by d grace of God through his son's finished work on d cross..pls study Genesis 12,Ephesians 1 and Galatians 3 extensively!
Re: Christian Tithing - Separating Fact From Fiction by openmine(m): 1:53am On May 15, 2015
NumberOne2:

Children of Abraham but not followers? Is this not a contradiction!
As followers of Christ? Why not give ALL like the early Disciples.

we are d seed of abraham becos of d promises God bestowed on abraham and his walk of faith....nothing more...except u r insisting dat we sleep with our house maid wen our wife cant bear children ...afterall we are supposed "followers of abraham"?? rite?
We christians use d faith of Abraham as a guide...our leading is through christ jesus...he is the one we must follow for he has set d standard dat no one was able to keep...no even Abraham..

NumberOne2:
On a final note, I see that most against tithes are those angry that Pastors use it for fraud. Well you should know that most of the monies Pastors get are actually from FREE WILL OFFERINGS often called SEED rather than tithes. I know folks that bougth Cars, houses and other expensive stuff for Pastors, should this be stopped also?

When you generalize,you start making hasty conclusions...
If some christians believe they dont tithe because of how deir pastor misuse church funds,then they haven't really understood d gift of giving and why they should not tithe anymore..
I give without trying to find out wat d money will be used for...and dat becos its not important to me who receives money from me..be it a minister of d poor or d needy...i Give without expecting anything in return..and dats d kind of giving dat delights God!
I believe other christians are doing d same thing dat am doing...so please try not to generalize why some christians dont tithe...its illogical!!
Re: Christian Tithing - Separating Fact From Fiction by NumberOne2(m): 4:56pm On May 15, 2015
You keep going in circles about Abraham and his house maid. I have answerd this before.
However, that is NOT a good way to speak of him and you should know that it was his wife Sarah that GAVE the maid to him.

ANSWER: If Christ and some Apostles were hung on the cross, should we do the same?

openmine:

They will receive no inheritance among the Israelites. 24 Instead, I give to the Levites as their inheritance the tithes that the Israelites present as an offering to the Lord.

Please note the highlighted....

"But the tithes of the children of Israel, which they offer as an heave offering unto the LORD, I have given to the Levites to inherit: therefore I have said unto them, Among the children of Israel they shall have no inheritance." - Numbers 18:24

From the above verse, you will see that the TITHES were given FIRST TO GOD, then GOD gave to the Levites. If you read further, you will see that God instructed the Levites on HOW TO TREAT the tithes. It wasnt theirs, it belonged to GOD.

QUESTION FOR YOU TO PONDER:
So if you say God created tithes for the Levites to survive cos they had no inheritance, why is it GIVEN FIRST TO GOD? Why is it not taken straight to the Levites. It would have been easier right?

To the OP, tithing
FACTS:
1) It is not by force. Nothing about God is by force. We have free will.
2) It is scriptural and preceeds the OLD testament (Mosiac Laws)
3) It is given to God and are blessed for it. Surely you cant give it directly to God, but through your Pastor. (God sees the heart)
4) In fact, if you can go beyond 10% kindly do so. Early disciples gave ALL.

FICTION:
1) It is OLD testament. It existed BEFORE the OLD testament.
2) It was abolished by Christ or the Apostles (It was NEVER abolished)
3) It doesnt involve money (Yes it does involve money or whatever you have)
Re: Christian Tithing - Separating Fact From Fiction by openmine(m): 6:09pm On May 15, 2015
NumberOne2:
You keep going in circles about Abraham and his house maid.
grin grin...seriously?..you are d one actually roaming in d circles of confusion about being the "seed of Abraham"..
You are so engrossed about being the "seed of Abraham" yet you forget Abraham had faults of his own...
Like i said,he slept with his maid...so since according to you,we are to practice wat he did,have you slept with you maid assuming you have one?
You see where your error of observing some tin Abraham did out of a pure heart?
And by the way,one of the instructions that God laid before Abraham and his family for being part of the promise was a PHYSICAL CIRCUMCISION
Have your done your own circumcision since you intend following every practice of Abraham to the letter??

NumberOne2:
I have answerd this before.
no sir you havent...
NumberOne2:
However, that is NOT a good way to speak of him
Oh please,we are trying to make comparisons...Abraham was by no means a perfect man...That's why its wrong and ill-advised to TOTALLY PLACE YOUR PRACTICE OF CHRISTIANITY on ABRAHAM...
No doubts,we are to learn from his unwavering faith in God but let CHRIST BE THE AUTHOR AND FINISHER OF YOUR FAITH...SIMPLE!

NumberOne2:
and you should know that it was his wife Sarah that GAVE the maid to him.
This is very shocking and mind-blowing shocked shocked grin....are you saying Abraham could not have refused to do his wife's request?
OR are you saying you can commit adultery with ur maid simply because ur wife gave u permission to do so?

NumberOne2:
ANSWER: If Christ and some Apostles were hung on the cross, should we do the same?
Ohhh..this is where you really get it wrong...
That was the real essence of his coming to the world...

To redeem man from his sins....
He came to die so that we can live...
For he was pierced for our transgression....
he was crushed for our iniquities...
His punishment brought us peace...
And by his stripes we were healed...

He came and laid down his life for your sake and for mine so that we do not need to take up the cross like him..
He paid everything in FULL on the cross of Calvary
So that you and i can stand righteous in God's sight not by what we have done good or bad...

So please my broda,You dont need be nailed on d cross... cheesy
Some one already did that for You..

Hope i answered your question?? cool cool

NumberOne2:
"But the tithes of the children of Israel, which they offer as an heave offering unto the LORD, I have given to the Levites to inherit: therefore I have said unto them, Among the children of Israel they shall have no inheritance." - Numbers 18:24[/i]

From the above verse, you will see that the TITHES were given FIRST TO GOD, then GOD gave to the Levites. If you read further, you will see that God instructed the Levites on HOW TO TREAT the tithes. It wasnt theirs, it belonged to GOD.

Am guessing that while you were studing or reading numbers 18,you didnt see this verse below

21 “The Israelites will give one-tenth of everything they have. So I give that one-tenth to the Levites. This is their PAYMENT for the work that they do while they serve at the Meeting Tent.

From the 21th verse,can you see that the lord gave it to the levites as payment for the work they carried out??

Let me go further...this is wat u brought out

24 But the Israelites will give one-tenth of everything they have to the Lord, and I will give that one-tenth to the Levites. That is why I said these words about the Levites: They will not get the land that I promised the Israelites.”

Hope you can now see that its because they have no inheritance,thats why God decided to provide for them through the tithe of crops and cattles dat the people of israel gave?

NumberOne2:
QUESTION FOR YOU TO PONDER:
So if you say God created tithes for the Levites to survive cos they had no inheritance, why is it GIVEN FIRST TO GOD? Why is it not taken straight to the Levites. It would have been easier right?

Again please go and read numbers 18:21 to get your answer or you can as well...check d highlighted verse above..

25 The Lord said to Moses, 26 “Speak to the Levites and tell them: The Israelites will give one-tenth of everything they own to the Lord. That one-tenth will belong to the Levites. But you must give one-tenth of that to the Lord as your offering. 27 That tenth will be your offering to the Lord. It will be like grain from your own threshing floor or wine from your own winepress. 28 In this way you will also give an offering to the Lord just as the other Israelites do. You will get the one-tenth that the Israelites give to the Lord, and then you will give one-tenth of that to Aaron the priest.
after reading verse 24,you sud have continued reading further to see your answer...

But wait ohhh grin grin grin
Where in this scripture did the israelites tithe because of jacob's vow to tithe...?
Cos u r only trying to let me explain my answer but you are yet to provide me with yours
and thats how israel were instructed to tithe because of Jacob's tithe...pls am waiting ohhh
Re: Christian Tithing - Separating Fact From Fiction by openmine(m): 7:40pm On May 15, 2015
NumberOne2:
To the OP, tithing
FACTS:
1) It is not by force. Nothing about God is by force. We have free will.
Ohh pls spare me that...tithe is a requirement to the people operating in the old covenant...which is part of d Mosaic law!
Tithe isn't free-will....Its an obligation to the people of israel not to new covenant believers!
Stop trying to be manipulative...why are you not doing burnt offerings since according to you,its not by force!

NumberOne2:
2) It is scriptural and preceeds the OLD testament (Mosiac Laws)
Yes its scriptural...just like burnt offerings
Or physical Circumcision ..
Or burning of incests
Or killing enemies supposedly instructed by God in the old testament
Or Do you partake in the observation of New Moons to set Yahweh's Feasts. (Exodus 12:2) (Deuteronomy 16:1)
Or Do you partake in the removal of leaven on the Eve of Passover (Ex. 12:15)
and a host of other laws of moses too numerous to mention ...Hope you are doing All those laws since you claim they are scriptural

If tithes preceeds the law,where was it stated aside the "generous gesture" that was done by Abraham?
Where was tithe a commandment or obligation before the law?

God mentioned circumcision to Abraham but ohhh...he forgot to include tithes...how convenient...but since you know better,you insist it was an "unspoken commandment" from God before the law was established...

Please do not add to what is already written..if you tink tithe was practiced before the law was established show me...
I can give you several verses in the old covenant where tithes was practiced as instructed by God...but please provide me with verses where people observed tithes...Pls don't go running to Abraham's one off generous gesture or the mischievous Jacob's vow...

NumberOne2:
3) It is given to God and are blessed for it. Surely you cant give it directly to God, but through your Pastor. (God sees the heart)
grin grin grin grin grin
Yeah...Give it to the pastor because he is the only one dat has the keys to heaven....
Where is it stated in your bible that God receives your tithe through your pastor??
And please don't make me laugh by telling me your pastor is now the new levite? shocked shocked
Now i understand explicitly wat someone once said dat...
"Tithing is an attempt to purchase favor from God by giving cash money to some guy who claims to have his phone number."
So true!!! cheesy

NumberOne2:
4) In fact, if you can go beyond 10% kindly do so. Early disciples gave ALL.
once again sorry...but the early disciples Gave from a willing heart and a decisive mind and they gave with an intent to provide for the needy not because of what they wanted to receive as a result of giving....
It doesn't matter d amount or the size,but they gave from a cheerful heart...thats wat pleases God

NumberOne2:
FICTION:FACT:
1) It is OLD testament. It existed BEFORE the OLD testament.

NumberOne2:
2) It was abolished by Christ or the Apostles (It was NEVER abolished)
FACT 1
11 If perfection could have been attained through the Levitical priesthood—and indeed the law given to the people established that priesthood—why was there still need for another priest to come, one in the order of Melchizedek, not in the order of Aaron? 12 For when the priesthood is changed, the law must be changed also.
FACT 2
18 The former regulation is set aside because it was weak and useless 19 (for the law made nothing perfect), and a better hope is introduced, by which we draw near to God.

FACT 3
4 Christ ended the law so that everyone who believes in him is made right with God. ROMANS 10:4

FACT 4
23 Before this faith came, the law held us as prisoners. We had no freedom until God showed us the way of faith that was coming. 24 I mean the law was the guardian in charge of us until Christ came. After he came, we could be made right with God through faith. 25 Now that the way of faith has come, we no longer need the law to be our guardian. GALATIANS 3:23-25

Please Next time provide scriptures to buttress points...OK?

NumberOne2:
3) It doesnt involve money (Yes it does involve money or whatever you have)
Yes it can also involve your time...and your commitment to a cause...not just money..
Re: Christian Tithing - Separating Fact From Fiction by timilehing(m): 6:41am On May 16, 2015
What I ve issues with of how do Churches spent these tithes? All the money/materials given to early churches were used to help those in need, there were used for the welfare of the people not building.

I keep saying that "if God can abandon Solomon' temple (the most expensive religious building till date), why is our own generation focusing on building magnificent edifice??
Re: Christian Tithing - Separating Fact From Fiction by openmine(m): 11:40am On May 16, 2015
timilehing:
What I ve issues with of how do Churches spent these tithes? All the money/materials given to early churches were used to help those in need, there were used for the welfare of the people not building.

I keep saying that "if God can abandon Solomon' temple (the most expensive religious building till date), why is our own generation focusing on building magnificent edifice??
Truth is am not too bothered about what happens after i have offered my money....Though at times i cant but ask how these monies have been able to benefit the poor and needy in d present churches contrary to wat the early Christians did...

I think its also best that our act of benevolence goes beyond churches and start touching the lives of individuals who are downtrodden...they are all around us..Lets all reach out to them!

(1) (Reply)

10 Ways To Know A Fake Man Of God. / Must Read! "the True Intentions Of Christian Missionaries In Africa" / Darwinism's Atheist Concept Of Evolution Leads To Racism And Supremacism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.