Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,550 members, 7,837,108 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:03 PM

The Legend Of Kai Bori - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Legend Of Kai Bori (844 Views)

Kai-kai / The Legend Of The Origin Of The Hausa: Truth Or False? / The Dying Legend Of The Kofar Mata Dye Pits (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Legend Of Kai Bori by Nobody: 5:28pm On May 12, 2015
When i was in high school, i had a book that contained a compendium of short stories from Africa and one that particularly fascinated me was the story of Kai Bori, don't know if that's the correct spelling but am fairly certain it's close.

The story is West African, i can't remember the name of the book or the writer. It's about a king who intends to kill his nephew for allegedly displaying cowardice, the nephew had been out raiding a rival tribe when he was injured and his right arm was rendered incapacitated, for this the King accused him of retreating and insists that he should have continued fighting to the death. The King confirms that he has never lost a battle to anyone or anything, he narrates to his nephew about an encounter in the forest of how in his youth he killed a leopard even after the beast had clawed out one of his eye. The nephew is heir to the throne and before the King sends him plunging down a waterfall, the King's sister who is also the nephew's mother arrives at the scene to plead with her brother to spare her son. It is written that women were not allowed at the council of executions. The council consisted of the King, his ministers and his entire army. They had assembled deep in the forest at the edge where there was a very deep waterfall. The nephew was required to jump to his death. The King's sister comes bearing farewell gifts in a basket and as she pleads for her son's life she gets close to her brother who stands at the edge of the waterfall with his kneeling and chain-bound nephew and at this pretense she unleashes dozens of poisonous snakes which had been hidden in the basket, upon the King. Realizing he's going to die, the King orders his army to hail his nephew as the new King, the story concludes as Kai Bori the great elder King plunges to his death.

It's a fascinating story and since this is a West African forum and as i am from East Africa, i would like to know if anyone's heard it and if this story is a legend or myth among certain communities?

2 Likes

Re: The Legend Of Kai Bori by Nobody: 8:19pm On May 22, 2015
Still no comment on this story undecided
Re: The Legend Of Kai Bori by Fulaman198(m): 9:33pm On Jun 18, 2015
Kai Bori is a Hausa story fyi
Re: The Legend Of Kai Bori by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jun 18, 2015
Fulaman198:
Kai Bori is a Hausa story fyi
Really tell me more about it, I've been waiting for the longest time now grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Imo Carnival Night Ends Sour, As Angry Crowd, Artistes Threaten DJ Vicky Lee / My Agenda For Ibadan, By Olubadan-designate / Sultan Blasts Igbo Leaders Over Accusation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.