Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,367 members, 7,861,012 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 08:53 PM

Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death (30683 Views)

Abuja Hospital Abandons Accident Victim For Hours Over Inability To Pay N3,500 / Helpless Accident Victim At National Hospital Abuja / Hospital Seeks The Public's Help In Identifying An Accident Victim (graphic Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death by anonimi: 8:41am On May 15, 2015
esoorita:
It's so sad that we are still living in the dark ages in Nigeria and indeed the whole of the African continent. Animals are treated better in the civilised countries than we treat human beings in Africa. I was horrified to see a crowd of people on 3rd Mainland bridge taking the pictures of some people involved in a car accident instead of lending a helping hand to the unfortunate victims. The money that the African leaders should have spent to build and equip standard hospital, procure ambulances, build schools, construct good roads, provide electricity, portable drinking water and other social services is wantonly looted by the leaders and their allies. The people are consigned to scrap heap perpetually. Very sad.

That is what happens when the acclaimed "excellent" state governor in Nigeria proudly opens his mouth to say there are only 2,000 public schools out of the 14,000 schools in the state! That is a 14% score for an area where every child should be in school learning! angry

Lagos schools producing academic champions –Fashola

“One thing that we need to point out is that the state’s public education system is producing excellent results. This is in spite of its challenges. Out of the 14,000 schools in the state, It is only about 2000 that belongs to the government.

More from: http://dailyindependentnig.com/2014/07/lagos-schools-producing-academic-champions-fashola/

How can WE advance when we celebrate such a ttotal FAILURE as the best thing to represent excellence in our midst
How is that possible?

In short, WE are simply pathetic!!!

1 Share

Re: Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death by naijainfogalery: 8:50am On May 15, 2015
grin yes its me again
Qmab:
i concur with you.
BTW, I didn't know it was you again. I just read the post and liked its content. You are so on point.
Re: Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death by fF01(m): 9:34am On May 15, 2015
naijainfogalery:
I wont blame them , lots of people are wasting in Nigerian prisons just because of this kind of acts of love, Nigerian system is crazy, no emergency center to call and if u try to help, even the person might just say you are the one that hit him because he doesnt want to pay bill or doesnt have money to pay the bill.
If you think the well, in your mind you will just support the victims with prayer because the story of the good samaritan could have landed him in jail right here in Nigeria, but that shouldnt give us an excuse not to save a life, One thing i have noticed is Nigerians are always looking for the first person to stop and help, once one person stops others will follow suit,

Check out this scenerio
u helped the guy, because the doctors in most hospitals are not qualified, they will reject the person telling you to take him to the general hospital and if satan catches u, he dies in your car , you now went to report yourself at the station , the first thing they do is lock you up calling you a murderer not even a suspect oo or give u a benefit of the doubt, then before u know wassup they either ask you for a 100k bribe and if Satan now catches you the more , you dont have it, then thats how they will frame you for someones else death, and if devil wants to finish your life, if there is one rich man whose sons commits a criminal offence they could collect bribe then make you the victim.
Any wise Nigerian would do anything in his power to stay away from the Nigerian police because ive heard cases where police will change your name on their register that you will never be found.

May God heal this country.
true talk mehn. dis country ezz flat dead!
Re: Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death by sweetgala(m): 9:45am On May 15, 2015
My people it is a very sad situation that must be addressed by the federal government , it is not news that many functions of Nigerian life has been destroyed by corruption , and poor leadership.

I have a new doctor friend who married a relative , who told me of life as a doctor in a private hospital, please don't blame the doctors blame the hospital administration and the state. The hospital administration have stipulated that before any intervention even when severe trauma is present , a police report and adequate funds guarantee to undertake the procedure must be present. If a victim emergency surgery is performed (> 25,000) xrays and CT scans (>15,000) and then the victim can't pay it gets docked from the doctors meagre wages. He said after he was burned a dew times he stopped.

My fiends pray you also don't fall desperately ill because Nigerian hospitals are a sad case, in UCH you have to pay for gloves, and all manner of things.

A national insurance framework , subsidised by the FG and through wage/earming contributions similar to the PSTN system in Ireland.

I had a very complex relatively new vitrectomy surgery(eye surgery I was going blind in the left eye) done in November 2013, for the incident that caused the injury, I was able to walk into the hospital with my opticians recommendation letter undergo no less than 4 retinal scans , saw a specialitist doctor more than 5 occasions and the surgery itself was done at absolutely no cost bar the cost of the bed I slept on €75 , I payer 4 weeks after surgery while home and recovered.
Re: Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death by anonimi: 9:55am On May 15, 2015
sweetgala:
My people it is a very sad situation that must be addressed by the federal government , it is not news that many functions of Nigerian life has been destroyed by corruption , and poor leadership.

I have a new doctor friend who married a relative , who told me of life as a doctor in a private hospital, please don't blame the doctors blame the hospital administration and the state. The hospital administration have stipulated that before any intervention even when severe trauma is present , a police report and adequate funds guarantee to undertake the procedure must be present. If a victim emergency surgery is performed (> 25,000) xrays and CT scans (>15,000) and then the victim can't pay it gets docked from the doctors meagre wages. He said after he was burned a dew times he stopped.

My fiends pray you also don't fall desperately ill because Nigerian hospitals are a sad case, in UCH you have to pay for gloves, and all manner of things.

A national insurance framework , subsidised by the FG and through wage/earming contributions similar to the PSTN system in Ireland.

I had a very complex relatively new vitrectomy surgery(eye surgery I was going blind in the left eye) done in November 2013, for the incident that caused the injury, I was able to walk into the hospital with my opticians recommendation letter undergo no less than 4 retinal scans , saw a specialitist doctor more than 5 occasions and the surgery itself was done at absolutely no cost bar the cost of the bed I slept on €75 , I payer 4 weeks after surgery while home and recovered.

- Should we blame the federal or the state government or should we pack it all on the head of the owners of private hospitals?

- What is the % of children out of school in Ireland?

Is there any likelihood that we can start resolving our problems from the basics
Re: Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death by bregeard(m): 10:41am On May 15, 2015
wait.. were you busy writing this storry while the person bled to death?... you should have helped,

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death by Layloww: 11:02am On May 15, 2015
I don't blame those that turned blind eyes and neither do I support their actions. Our government is to blame for this. There are some things that need to be corrected if lives are valuable to this nation. Asking for police report before attending to a dieing patient is not so good. The latter should be in progress while the person that brings the patient finds its way to police station. I believe if this is checked, people will be willing to help/rescue.
Re: Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death by generalj1(m): 12:17pm On May 15, 2015
Nigerian police is the worst thing that has ever happened to humanity. same goes for government hospitals.

i have rescued someone knocked down by hit and run driver before. i took him to the hospital (UCH in ibadan o) and the first thing they did at the emergency section was to call security to seize my car key.

after i started scolding them and i promised to pay the bills..they called police.

in less than 30 minutes after the treatment commenced, a mallam came and said hes the head of the hausas in the bodija market and he learnt that a good samaritan has helped a member that was knocked down to the hospital. that was how i was released o.

the baffling part was that , people were with this man...putting sand on his blood on the road..some taking pictures while nobody helped him.

I have stopped on lagos ibadan express way also one day to rescue accident victims...laid them by d road and sped to get road safety to the scene...i was asked to back and wait for them....almost one hour latter....road safety showed up with hilux van and put bleeding accident victims in the trunk of the hilux...i almost cried...because..even if a perfectly healthy and strong guy should lie down on the bare iron behind hilux...he will die in less than 10 minutes of driving on our express with countless well-holes
Re: Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death by WebSurfer(m): 12:23pm On May 15, 2015
anonimi:

Nice story but wrong conclusion.

God does not need to help Nigerians just as he did NOT help the Europeans, Americans, Canadians and all those other places we like to run away to because their people helped themselves climb out of their depravity largely through mass education for all their children!

The whole essence of the message of Christ (Prophet Issa to Moslems) is that we should use our God-given intellect to sort out out man-made problems instead of crying to God each time as if He did not make us in His Image. shocked angry
the truth finally

1 Like

Re: Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death by WebSurfer(m): 12:27pm On May 15, 2015
themodernman:

Thank God people now realise the difference between private & public hospital doctors. We have been vindicated. You should know the main aim of a private hospital is to make money and they're in their right to do that, so if there's any govt hospital around better take them there instantly than wasting your time in a private hospital cos if I'm also the doctor there I won't attend to you until you pay! You don't expect me to lose my job cos of you. Ppl should know how things work.

This one is even excluding the money aspect, The fear of ebola was their own definition of Wisdom , well, Even at FMC, apart from a nurse who had her gloves on, we had to carry the body into the emergency Stretcher or what they call that thing. lol
Re: Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death by Kelly32: 3:15pm On May 15, 2015
naijainfogalery:
I wont blame them , lots of people are wasting in Nigerian prisons just because of this kind of acts of love, Nigerian system is crazy, no emergency center to call and if u try to help, even the person might just say you are the one that hit him because he doesnt want to pay bill or doesnt have money to pay the bill.
If you think the well, in your mind you will just support the victims with prayer because the story of the good samaritan could have landed him in jail right here in Nigeria, but that shouldnt give us an excuse not to save a life, One thing i have noticed is Nigerians are always looking for the first person to stop and help, once one person stops others will follow suit,

Check out this scenerio
u helped the guy, because the doctors in most hospitals are not qualified, they will reject the person telling you to take him to the general hospital and if satan catches u, he dies in your car , you now went to report yourself at the station , the first thing they do is lock you up calling you a murderer not even a suspect oo or give u a benefit of the doubt, then before u know wassup they either ask you for a 100k bribe and if Satan now catches you the more , you dont have it, then thats how they will frame you for someones else death, and if devil wants to finish your life, if there is one rich man whose sons commits a criminal offence they could collect bribe then make you the victim.
Any wise Nigerian would do anything in his power to stay away from the Nigerian police because ive heard cases where police will change your name on their register that you will never be found.

May God heal this country.

Guy, what you just said is the Nigerian situation. But if you found yourself in this kind of accident situation, with you being the victim, am sure you would wish that someone would defy all this odds that you've mentioned to come to your rescue. Pray you never find yourself in this situation.

1 Like

Re: Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death by peterbello(m): 11:46am On May 16, 2015
FlirtyKaren:
A reader just sent me this heartbreaking story from Twitter, guys. Just read and be amazed. People had actually abandoned the accident victims cos they feared dealing with the police, they were afraid of police case. Tweets below

http://www.lailasblog.com/2015/05/very-sad-story-of-how-nigerians-left.html

I just read the story and it's so sad. Even the Samaritan that offered to help was bias. He chose someone he knew over someone who was critically wounded and need more urgent medical attention.
I don't know about your place but I know here in the North, there'll be people who would come to their rescue and readily help not minding whether they know the person or not.
People paint the north in a bad light but they are one of the most hospitable and the simplest set of people in the country (especially the Hausas).
Mind you, I am not Hausa neither am i a muslim.
Re: Very Sad Story Of How Nigerians Left An Accident Victim To Bleed To Death by ELBAND: 1:25pm On May 19, 2015
RIP

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

653 New COVID-19 Cases, 305 Discharged And 6 Deaths On July 18 - (2755 Tested) / Dots On The Skin / Dr Emeka Okorocha & Ikenna Ihim Tackle The Challenges Of Minorities In Medicine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.