Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,447 members, 7,830,234 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:19 PM

Nigeria (0) Vs Jamaica (0) on Wednesday, 11th February 2009 - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria (0) Vs Jamaica (0) on Wednesday, 11th February 2009 (7496 Views)

Poll: ...and the winner is?

Nigeria: 81% (39 votes)
Jamaica: 18% (9 votes)
This poll has ended

Caf U23 Championship Qualifier :Nigeria 0 Vs Congo 0 (Live) / Nigeria Vs Catalonia Friendly (1 - 1 ) On Wednesday January-2-2013 / Azerbaijan Vs Nigeria (0 - 11): U-17 Women's World Cup On Tuesday Sept-25-2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria (0) Vs Jamaica (0) on Wednesday, 11th February 2009 by honeric01(m): 8:53am On Feb 10, 2009
FBS:

@honeric01, did you say kids? you gotta to be kidding. . .Brazil had their top stars in parade. The eagles played well until late the crumbled in the second half. I was at the stadium so dont talk falsely.

But seriously, I dont understand why we play Jamaica all the time? can't we even try scotland? grin

The numbers of their full time players were less than 4 in the squad that played us bro, so why would you say they paraded all their full squad then, Mind you, most of those players that came to play weren't in their squad then, hope you know that?

Can't we even play Egypt? I still prefer we play Togo or Algeria compared to Jamaica
Re: Nigeria (0) Vs Jamaica (0) on Wednesday, 11th February 2009 by Jarus(m): 9:05am On Feb 10, 2009
Read this morning that Mikel first to get to camp.

But seriously, I dont understand why we play Jamaica all the time?
abiiooo. . . We played them in a 3-nation tournament(is it called Unity cup?) in UK in 2004. Nigeria,Ireland and Jamaica. Martins' debut. I can't remember the scroeline but I know we beat both countries, and the match against Ireland(featuring Duff, Keane etc) in that tournament was the best display I have ever seen from Super Eagles since 1994(And Thomas Mlambo of supersport said same thing after that match). A wonderful display from Martins, Utaka and co. I think we beat Ireland 3-0 and Jamaica 2-0, but not too sure.

After that, I know we have played Jamaica in friendly two other times.
Re: Nigeria (0) Vs Jamaica (0) on Wednesday, 11th February 2009 by FBS: 9:12am On Feb 10, 2009
Super Eagles skipper Nwankwo Kanu has assured Nigerians that the team will do well in Wednesday’s international friendly against Jamaica.
Speaking to THISDAYSports from his base in London yesterday, the Portsmouth star also downplayed insinuations that they are playing a lowly rated side ahead of their build up for the final round of the World Cup qualification series beginning in March. The Super Eagles are billed to travel to Mozambique.
But according to the former Arsenal star, the fact that they were even utilizing the FIFA window was a major plus for the team in their quest to make the finals of the World Cup in South Africa next year.
“We are playing a friendly and that is the most import thing right now. Is it not better to play Jamaica than not to play any match at all? At least the players will have something to do and the coaches will be able to try out a few things before the World Cup qualifiers proper.
“We the players are not taking the game lightly and intend to put in our very best to ensure that we do well,” said the man who scored the goal that won Portsmouth the 2008 FA Cup.
According to him the players started arriving camp yesterday in London for the match taking place at the Dell, the home ground of Millwall football club.
Meanwhile, sources close to the Portsmouth star have rubbished reports in a British tabloid, News of the World, that the former Ajax star was ready to walk out of Portsmouth after being fined £25, 000 for attending the recent Nigeria’09 mascot launch, which held in Abuja.
According to the paper, the Fratton Park outfit was angry that Papillo, as Kanu is fondly called, returned only a few hours to the defeat by Aston Villa.
But friends of the footballer insisted that there was no truth in the report since Kanu had already done enough to secure a fresh contract with the 2008 FA Cup winners and was ready to abide by the contract.
Besides he is also delighted with the fact that Portsmouth hierarchy turned down a reported inquiry from Tottenham Hotspur to bring the lanky forward to London – an indication that sacked Tony Adams, a former team mate of Kanu’s at Arsenal – still values his services.
According to word out of Fratton Park, the inquiry was made towards the end of the January transfer window but was later overtaken by the sensational return to White Hart Lane of Robbie Keane.
Harry Redknapp, who until late last year was in charge of Portsmouth, was the driving force in bringing Kanu to the South Coast side three years ago
http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=135281

Can someone tell me why is it so hard to get info about the NFF/NFA about the football team? I'm not even sure they have a website? grin
Re: Nigeria (0) Vs Jamaica (0) on Wednesday, 11th February 2009 by FBS: 9:22am On Feb 10, 2009
honeric01:

The numbers of their full time players were less than 4 in the squad that played us bro, so why would you say they paraded all their full squad then, Mind you, most of those players that came to play weren't in their squad then, hope you know that?

Scorers: Gil 34, Luis Fabiano 38, Adriano Leite 81

And you call them kids and they were less than 4? If they were not in the squad, how come they played?
Re: Nigeria (0) Vs Jamaica (0) on Wednesday, 11th February 2009 by honeric01(m): 10:13am On Feb 10, 2009
FBS:

Scorers: Gil 34, Luis Fabiano 38, Adriano Leite 81

And you call them kids and they were less than 4? If they were not in the squad, how come they played?

I'm still not wrong, Luis fabiano was not a regular then in the brazilian squad, so they still didn't play us with their FULL SQUAD. and as for all, we PLAY OUR FULL SQUAD.
prove me wrong
Re: Nigeria (0) Vs Jamaica (0) on Wednesday, 11th February 2009 by Jairzinho(m): 12:08pm On Feb 10, 2009
Unfortunately I can't get the match on any of the channels I have,I'll be watching the Brazilo vs Italy encounter same time cry cry
Re: Nigeria (0) Vs Jamaica (0) on Wednesday, 11th February 2009 by khanye(m): 12:22pm On Feb 10, 2009
Jamaica 2 - Nigeria 1 cool
Re: Nigeria (0) Vs Jamaica (0) on Wednesday, 11th February 2009 by debosky(m): 12:24pm On Feb 10, 2009
Why shouldn't we play Jamaica?

Every national team will have teams that they regularly/usually play. As long as we use the opportunity to bring the squad together and have a friendly then it serves it's purpose.

We don't have to play 'top' opposition before it is a useful exercise for the team. With better planning and more visible players, we might get other teams willing to play us in good time.
Re: Nigeria (0) Vs Jamaica (0) on Wednesday, 11th February 2009 by FBS: 12:29pm On Feb 10, 2009
If the super eagles continue to aim for lower teams, how will they know their true strength and points of weaknesses?
We can't just be playing Jamaica all the time?

Why England no choose to play Niger republic if its just for the fun of it or as you put it, "useful exercise"?

Friendlies are more than that these days

wake up  man.
Re: Nigeria (0) Vs Jamaica (0) on Wednesday, 11th February 2009 by FBS: 12:30pm On Feb 10, 2009
zikclassiq:

Please wat tim is it?
@zikclassiq
Nigeria Vs Jamaica on Wednesday, 11th February 2009 -20:45 (Nigerian Time)
Re: Nigeria (0) Vs Jamaica (0) on Wednesday, 11th February 2009 by honeric01(m): 1:03pm On Feb 10, 2009
We just can't keep playing less football playing teams, it sounds like bullying
Re: Nigeria (0) Vs Jamaica (0) on Wednesday, 11th February 2009 by vikiviko(m): 1:22pm On Feb 10, 2009
Untested Players should be given the opportunity to play and jell with core team players.
Eagles should win convincingly.
Nigeria 3 Jamaica 0
Re: Nigeria (0) Vs Jamaica (0) on Wednesday, 11th February 2009 by FBS: 1:25pm On Feb 10, 2009
honeric01:

I'm still not wrong, Luis fabiano was not a regular then in the brazilian squad, so they still didn't play us with their FULL SQUAD. and as for all, we PLAY OUR FULL SQUAD.
prove me wrong
Tell me how this squad is bad enough for Brazil?

Dida - Their Number 1 keeper
Belletti - Not a small boy then?
Juan - He is still in the team
Lúcio - Well, you know he is a brazillian linchpin
Kléber - You know him
Emerson -Still playing
Kleberson
Ricardinho
Ronaldinho - Doesnt need no introduction
Gil - Former arse star
Luis Fabiano
Adriano Gabiru 70' < > Gil
Adriano 70' < > Luis Fabiano
Gilberto 81' < > Kléber
Eduardo Costa 75' < > Belletti
Fábio Luciano 85' < > Juan
Trainer : Parreira

Tell me, who were the kids then? And like I said, the eagles played better until they crumbled and fell late in the second half. If you dont know, please dont say it.
Re: Nigeria (0) Vs Jamaica (0) on Wednesday, 11th February 2009 by debosky(m): 1:27pm On Feb 10, 2009
FBS:

If the super eagles continue to aim for lower teams, how will they know their true strength and points of weaknesses?
We can't just be playing Jamaica all the time?

Why England no choose to play Niger republic if its just for the fun of it or as you put it, "useful exercise"?

Friendlies are more than that these days

wake up  man.
Don't be silly - is Niger now on the same level with Jamaica??

Why are friendlies 'more than that' these days? Pure bollocks. When we ar consistent with small teams, bigger teams will want to play us. We can't even guarantee appearance of our top stars for most games, so why would any sponsor take us seriously?

Jamaica is a decent side that will provide opposition similar to African teams. That is the kind of opposition we need right now, not some over hyped match against a 'world power' that won't achieve much.

We played Ghana a few months back, why not Jamaica now? Didn't Argentina play Scotland? Ok I know y'all will say Scotland is better than Jamaica, but not by much if you ask me.  tongue
Re: Nigeria (0) Vs Jamaica (0) on Wednesday, 11th February 2009 by honeric01(m): 1:31pm On Feb 10, 2009
FBS:

Tell me how this squad is bad enough for Brazil?

Dida - Their Number 1 keeper
Belletti - Not a small boy then?
Juan - He is still in the team
Lúcio - Well, you know he is a brazillian linchpin
Kléber - You know him
Emerson -Still playing
Kleberson
Ricardinho
Ronaldinho - Doesnt need no introduction
Gil - Former arse star
Luis Fabiano
Adriano Gabiru 70' < > Gil
Adriano 70' < > Luis Fabiano
Gilberto 81' < > Kléber
Eduardo Costa 75' < > Belletti
Fábio Luciano 85' < > Juan
Trainer : Parreira

Tell me, who were the kids then? And like I said, the eagles played better until they crumbled and fell late in the second half. If you dont know, please dont say it.

Where did you get this list from? I know Love vagna was there that day and host of other "new" names just like Luciano, Juan, Belleti, Fabiano, rochardinho, Klerberson ( They were never in the full squad then).
That's what i meant with my "kids" i didn't mean it was rafael and co that came that day,
I also watched it live on almost all the TV STATIONS in lagos then, so I also have an idea.

What i am saying is that they didn't use their full squad, yet they beat us 3:0, maybe that's why i never want to play with big names again grin
Re: Nigeria (0) Vs Jamaica (0) on Wednesday, 11th February 2009 by FBS: 1:32pm On Feb 10, 2009
debosky:

Don't be silly - is Niger now on the same level with Jamaica??

Why are friendlies 'more than that' these days? Pure bollocks. When we ar consistent with small teams, bigger teams will want to play us. We can't even guarantee appearance of our top stars for most games, so why would any sponsor take us seriously?

Jamaica is a decent side that will provide opposition similar to African teams. That is the kind of opposition we need right now, not some over hyped match against a 'world power' that won't achieve much.

We played Ghana a few months back, why not Jamaica now? Didn't Argentina play Scotland? Ok I know y'all will say Scotland is better than Jamaica, but not by much if you ask me.  tongue
Utter nonsense. Mr man, using your words, it is just an exercise. i.e it doesnt matter who will play. So what gibberish are you blabbing about the reggae boys not the same level with Niger Rep? does it matter?
Point is, we cannot continue to play lesser teams. Period.

PS: Didnt you see my previous post that scotland would be a better oppostion? They have something to play for. Jamaica does not.
Re: Nigeria (0) Vs Jamaica (0) on Wednesday, 11th February 2009 by FBS: 1:36pm On Feb 10, 2009
honeric01:

Where did you get this list from? I know Love vagna was there that day and host of other "new" names just like Luciano, Juan, Belleti, Fabiano, rochardinho, Klerberson ( They were never in the full squad then).
That's what i meant with my "kids" i didn't mean it was rafael and co that came that day,
I also watched it live on almost all the TV STATIONS in lagos then, so I also have an idea.

What i am saying is that they didn't use their full squad, yet they beat us 3:0, maybe that's why i never want to play with big names again grin
ha. . .I see you have an idea by watching on the TV? I was live at the abuja stadium and I'm telling you. It wasnt no kid team. R'dinho was in his prime and couldnt do nada. He was well marked.
Brazil had at least 6 of their starters excluding the keeper and you are saying kids?
Did you see our own list? Aside Okocha, Kanu and Yakuba, I wouldnt really say it was a strong team. and yes Enyeama.

http://en.sambafoot.com/selecao/2003_Friendlies_match/226_Brazil_Nigeria.html
Re: Nigeria (0) Vs Jamaica (0) on Wednesday, 11th February 2009 by honeric01(m): 1:55pm On Feb 10, 2009
Bro, we are not arguing, what i'm saying is that we should start playing Big names and stop bullying baby countries like Jamaica lol grin
Re: Nigeria (0) Vs Jamaica (0) on Wednesday, 11th February 2009 by FBS: 1:58pm On Feb 10, 2009
folks, can't say if this will work but give it a try to watch online
http://www.bilkorsel.com/watch-nigeria-vs-jamaica-live-online-streaming.html
Re: Nigeria (0) Vs Jamaica (0) on Wednesday, 11th February 2009 by FBS: 2:00pm On Feb 10, 2009
honeric01:

Bro, we are not arguing, what i'm saying is that we should start playing Big names and stop bullying baby countries like Jamaica lol grin
no sis, we no dey argue cheesy grin and I concur that we should start playing stronger teams. cool
The funny thing is not everyone thinks that way. . .strange way of thinking if you ask me. grin
Re: Nigeria (0) Vs Jamaica (0) on Wednesday, 11th February 2009 by mukina2: 2:04pm On Feb 10, 2009
Maybe Jamaica will beat Nigeria sef tongue
Re: Nigeria (0) Vs Jamaica (0) on Wednesday, 11th February 2009 by FBS: 2:10pm On Feb 10, 2009
@mukina2, if jamaica beat nigeria then there is problem. . .BIG BIG PROBLEM.
Still can't get a list of players from the NFF. oh, what a nation called Nigeria!!! grin
Re: Nigeria (0) Vs Jamaica (0) on Wednesday, 11th February 2009 by FBS: 2:33pm On Feb 10, 2009
Eagles get full house

Goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama was the last expected player to join up on Tuesday as coach Shuaibu Amodu welcomed a full Super Eagles squad ahead of Wednesday's international friendly against Jamaica in London.

Enyeama, one of the most punctual players in the team, was unavoidably late as he played for his Israeli club Hapoel Tel Aviv in their 4-1 win over Beitar Jerusalem on Monday night, and left for London on Tuesday.

"Enyeama has just arrived now as I am talking to you to bring the number to 20," Super Eagles Media Coordinator Idah Peterside told KickOffNigeria.com at 14h00 on Tuesday afternoon. "So we have everybody in camp apart from the four players who have been excused."

Enyeama's arrival brought the number of players in camp to 20, with four other players excused for different reasons.

Full back Adefemi Olubayo was excused after running into visa problems, while Yusuf Ayila and Joseph Akpala begged off on injury grounds.

In camp

Goalkeepers: Vincent Enyeama, Austin Ejide, Dele Aiyenugba;
Defenders: Taye Taiwo, Danny Shittu, Obinna Nwaneri, Joseph Yobo, Onyekachi Apam, Dele Adeleye, Chidi Odiah;
Midfielders: Femi Ajilore, Sani Kaita, John Mikel Obi, Seyi Olofinjana, Kalu Uche
Strikers: Nwankwo Kanu, Ikechukwu Uche, Mike Eneramo, Osaze Odemwingie, Obinna Nsofor

Are the players trying to act serious or they are indeed serious?
Re: Nigeria (0) Vs Jamaica (0) on Wednesday, 11th February 2009 by dominictj(m): 2:42pm On Feb 10, 2009
How will u rate a team dat performed excellently in the first half but lost 3-nill in the other.
pls lets be sincere, the Eagles were beaten silly in their own backyard by brazil in that friendly. And its high time we play such quality friendlis in order to re-asses the strength of our team. Remember, the 2010 world cup qualifiers resumes next month.
Re: Nigeria (0) Vs Jamaica (0) on Wednesday, 11th February 2009 by PurestBoy(m): 3:31pm On Feb 10, 2009
Why do we have to play against the Ganga-oriented country again and not countries with quality opposition. Na wa for this NFF or NFA oo
Re: Nigeria (0) Vs Jamaica (0) on Wednesday, 11th February 2009 by honeric01(m): 3:43pm On Feb 10, 2009
FBS:

no sis, we no dey argue cheesy grin and I concur that we should start playing stronger teams. cool
The funny thing is not everyone thinks that way. . .strange way of thinking if you ask me. grin

Bro, i ain't a sis, lol, i have a 3rd leg ok? cheesy

Maybe we should try playing spain or Argentina?? embarassed
Re: Nigeria (0) Vs Jamaica (0) on Wednesday, 11th February 2009 by PurestBoy(m): 4:42pm On Feb 10, 2009
As long as Apam will remain in the team, then my prediction goes thus: Ganja 3: Nigeria 1
Re: Nigeria (0) Vs Jamaica (0) on Wednesday, 11th February 2009 by Jarus(m): 6:42pm On Feb 10, 2009
Goalkeepers: Vincent Enyeama, Austin Ejide, Dele Aiyenugba;
Defenders: Taye Taiwo, Danny Shittu, Obinna Nwaneri, Joseph Yobo, Onyekachi Apam, Dele Adeleye, Chidi Odiah;
Midfielders: Femi Ajilore, Sani Kaita, John Mikel Obi, Seyi Olofinjana, Kalu Uche
Strikers: Nwankwo Kanu, Ikechukwu Uche, Mike Eneramo, Osaze Odemwingie, Obinna Nsofor
It's been long Nigeria had a full team like this for match, even competitive. No excuse now. The only ommissions are injured Martins and YakWe are having our strongest injury-free team.
Re: Nigeria (0) Vs Jamaica (0) on Wednesday, 11th February 2009 by DonPedro21(m): 10:50pm On Feb 10, 2009
@ PurestBoy
Apam is still young and needs more playing time to develop. pls don't crucify him.
Re: Nigeria (0) Vs Jamaica (0) on Wednesday, 11th February 2009 by allboyz(m): 10:54pm On Feb 10, 2009
we need to source for creative midfielders . .we lack that currently. lipsrsealed
Re: Nigeria (0) Vs Jamaica (0) on Wednesday, 11th February 2009 by DonPedro21(m): 11:35pm On Feb 10, 2009
@ allboyz
e be like say u dey c my mind. non of those midfielders can give that much needed deadly passes to our strikers.
Re: Nigeria (0) Vs Jamaica (0) on Wednesday, 11th February 2009 by jasblack: 12:03am On Feb 11, 2009

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

World Cup Group B Unpredictable / AYC 2011 Final: Nigeria Vs Cameroun On Sunday May 1 @ 2pm Nigerian Time / Ese Brume Wins Gold In Women's Long Jump At The African Athletics Championships.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.