Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,955 members, 7,810,644 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:38 PM

Diageo’s Orijin Herbs Help Guinness Maker Beat Nigerian Woes - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Diageo’s Orijin Herbs Help Guinness Maker Beat Nigerian Woes (637 Views)

MTN Shrugs Of Nigerian Woes / Guinness Just Denied Me 2million Naira / Guinness Nigeria Suffers 76% Profit Decline (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Diageo’s Orijin Herbs Help Guinness Maker Beat Nigerian Woes by Adesiji77: 8:54pm On May 14, 2015
At the noisy Lascofis bar in the Nigerian commercial hub of Lagos, Elvis Nnanna sips from a bottle of Orijin and dreams of his home village about 600 kilometers (373 miles) to the South East.
“It’s just like I’m taking my local tea,” Nnanna, a 35-year-old photographer from Abia State, says alongside his friend, Agnes Okoli, who is also drinking a bottle of the fruity, herbal, 6 percent-alcoholic drink. “When I go home there are certain roots my parents pour in their gin before they can drink it. I always shared that with them.”
Orijin is made by Diageo Plc, the world’s biggest distiller, and is seen by the London-based company as a faster-growing addition in Nigeria to its flagship Guinness stout. Since its introduction in Africa’s biggest economy in 2013, Orijin has more than 50 percent of the market for non-beer bottled drinks with a similar alcohol strength, according to data tracker Nielsen Nigeria. Competitors including Heineken NV have raced to create similar beverages.
“Orijin has been hugely successful for us in Nigeria,” Chris Stagg, Diageo’s general manager for innovation, said by phone from London on May 1, declining to give sales figures as it isn’t company policy. “That’s caused us to look aggressively at how we bring this particular brand to other consumers in Africa.” The drink is now also being sold in Ghana and Kenya, he said.
A 40 percent slump in oil prices since June is expected to curb economic growth in Nigeria to 4.8 percent this year from 6.3 percent in 2014, the International Monetary Fund said on April 28. That’s had an impact on disposable incomes in Africa’s largest crude producer, with drinkers switching from Guinness to cheaper brands of beer and lager, Diageo’s Lagos-based unit Guinness Nigeria Plc said last year.
Guinness Nigeria’s net income declined to N5.2 billion ($26.4 million) in the nine months through March, compared with N5.9 billion in the same period in 2014, the company said April 24. The shares gained 3.2 percent to N160 as of 1.08 p.m. in Lagos, paring the year’s decline to 4.9 percent. That compares with a 0.9 percent fall on the Nigerian Stock Exchange All Share Index.
About 44 percent of Nigeria’s 177 million population are under 15, compared with 28 percent in South Africa, the continent’s second-biggest economy, according to U.S. Census Bureau data. That presents an investment opportunity for consumer-focused companies such as Diageo, South African wireless carrier MTN Group Ltd. and U.S. retailer Wal-Mart Stores Inc.
“With Nigerian consumers being surrounded by such rapid change in a global culture, it’s really important to be modern and progressive and stay connected with a Nigerian identity,” Stagg said.

http://businessdayonline.com/2015/05/diageos-orijin-herbs-help-guinness-maker-beat-nigerian-woes/#.VVT6G_lViko

(1) (Reply)

Investment In Nigeria. A Study / I Need A Business / Srs,life Saver Of Batteries!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.